pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
You must be taking your foot off the pedal - not fair! Seriously - just gets too hot for me.

I'd be curious to line up 10 FVs and measure them to see how consistent they are. The descriptions JoeKickass posts make me think he has an abnormally hot FV and perhaps yours runs hot too. His is a bit extreme though, while it's quite possible your variation can be attributed to variations in technique.

Tweek

For those hooking theirs up to glass...you may notice that it gets hotter due to the reduction in airflow. This all depends on how long and narrow your tubing is, but it can definitely reduce airflow to the point where it gets too hot/combusts in my experience.

Chill Dude

I agree with Kepler. As I pointed out in my FVS2 review a couple of days ago; the S2 w/ the 3.7 batteries runs very hot IMO. Although my technique is very conservative, I find that quite often I either combust or am on the verge of combustion. I too find the vapor to be harsh, hot and almost smoke like. Though i must admit , the FVS2 does medicate the shit out of me..LOL.

As I mentioned in my review last week, I used the following technique: Hold button down for 4 seconds, slowly inhale for another 4 seconds, release button and finish my draw. Hardly an aggressive technique IMO. Nevertheless , I combusted twice.

That's why I think Pak is on to something when he says that there must be considerable performance differences between the various units. After all, prior to me purchasing the FVS2, Pak was saying that he felt that combustion wasn't really an issue anymore with the S2 spacer. In fact, he said that he even held the button down for 12 seconds w/o inhaling and didn't see any evidence of combustion. It just seems strange that Kepler, myself and several others are having a much different experience than Pak and some of the other early testers.... :hmm:

Chill Dude,
Reactions: kelper
I also like the fine control that stock FV gives over avb production. Light brown with a few green speckles - fill both halves of a gelcap, press together, swallow ... and POW! - an hour or two later blown out of the water like a mad duck. Too many vapes go to 90 too fast leaving you with toast.

I agree with Kepler. As I pointed out in my FVS2 review a couple of days ago; the S2 w/ the 3.7 batteries runs very hot IMO. Although my technique is very conservative, I find that quite often I either combust or am on the verge of combustion. I too find the vapor to be harsh, hot and almost smoke like. Though i must admit , the FVS2 does medicate the shit out of me..LOL.

As I mentioned in my review last week, I used the following technique: Hold button down for 4 seconds, slowly inhale for another 4 seconds, release button and finish my draw. Hardly an aggressive technique IMO. Nevertheless , I combusted twice.

That's why I think Pak is on to something when he says that there must be considerable performance differences between the various units. After all, prior to me purchasing the FVS2, Pak was saying that he felt that combustion wasn't really an issue anymore with the S2 spacer. In fact, he said that he even held the button down for 12 seconds w/o inhaling and didn't see any evidence of combustion. It just seems strange that Kepler, myself and several others are having a much different experience than Pak and some of the other early testers.... :hmm:

Personally I think its more down to user variations in technique. I admit to going cloud crazy when it is at my disposal, but I also think the 3.7v is just too hot of temp for what I am after.

mod note: please use the edit button to avoid back to back posting. 2 posts merged.

Slightly Medicated

(SliM) Iron Lungs
Well FlashVape was kind enough to send me a stage two version. I just got a chance to use it last night firs the first time. I must say I am impressed. It is going to take me a bit to get the most efficient technique down, but I got good results right out of the box. My friend who does not know anything about vaporizer breathing techniques, still manages to get a hit without using any real technique.

I could see how people are concerned about the little ceramic spacer. I am looking forward to seeing their solution. I am being very careful with my spacer. I will see how long I can make it last :)

I like the control you have over your substrate. I am able to brown my plant material to an extremely dark brown if I like. As most of you know I prefer the higher temperatures so I can extract more of the higher temperature active ingredients like CBD.

I am looking forward to my next event out. I plan on taking the FlashVape with me to see how it performs out in the real world.

Chill Dude

Personally I think its more down to user variations in technique. I admit to going cloud crazy when it is at my disposal, but I also think the 3.7v is just too hot of temp for what I am after.

To tell you the truth, I don't even have an opinion on the basic FV( w/o the spacer ), as I haven't even tried it. My reasoning was that if I'm having a hard time controlling the FVS2, then why even try the regular FV. However, after your review,... I think I have to for comparison purposes....

Chill Dude,
To tell you the truth, I don't even have an opinion on the basic FV( w/o the spacer ), as I haven't even tried it. My reasoning was that if I'm having a hard time controlling the FVS2, then why even try the regular FV. However, after your review,... I think I have to for comparison purposes....
Stock FV takes more practice IMO, so be patient learning. I hold the button down, count to 10, draw, and build up micro-hits. And then as it heats up more, and the material dries out, vary as needed - it's an art more than a science. Don't be afraid to hold that button down until you see swirls - combustion doesn't mean a forest fire, just a little extra browning. I use an aggressive finger crumble instead of a fine grind just so combustion isn't as much of a powder keg.

stickstones

Vapor concierge
kelper...I thought you said you were holding down the button for an awful long time, like 8-12 secs or something. Is that right? If so, have you tried shorter power bursts?

stickstones,
Reactions: ShipDit
kelper...I thought you said you were holding down the button for an awful long time, like 8-12 secs or something. Is that right? If so, have you tried shorter power bursts?
Yes, when using S-2 I only hold down for about 5 seconds.

Edit: Initially about 5 seconds, but then I hold down longer as needed as a I take in micro hits. I know I could tone it down, but I still think the 3.7v is too hot for my preference in vapor quality.

JoeKickass

I'm still not sure but I think my AW battery just had ridiculously good "peak" current, brand new it could get the whole screen Glowing! red hot but now it's just a mild glow in the center... the s2 is much more enjoyable now!

JoeKickass,
Is the FlashVapes glass stem the same size a a MFLB? It would be sweet to get an Eds stem or something similar.
As an epileptic and a stoner I can guarantee breakage of the glass stem.

ShipDit,

optiato

Do you still get a lot of vapor with only a 3 second heat up,time?

Not quite as thick as I get with DBV or the Solo, but flavorful, smooth, and satisfying. I'm not saying it's thin or wispy, just not thick and heavy.

Is the FlashVapes glass stem the same size a a MFLB? It would be sweet to get an Eds stem or something similar.
As an epileptic and a stoner I can guarantee breakage of the glass stem.

I read somewhere (probably earlier in this thread) that it is, although you will need to use the heat shrink that came with your FV at the end, just like the glass stem has.

Here it is:

it fits loosely... same as the FV stems without shrink tube.
That means you would need something on the tip of the wooden stem.
You coulod use the shrink tube, if hopefully you do not tempt fate using a lighter..... and use a hair dryer.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized I posted twice in a row, I'd merge them if I could!

mod note: Thanks for noticing. Two posts merged.

This stock vs S-2 debate is similar to feelings in the sports car world. Some want a V8 monster doing burnouts and killing the 1/4 mile, while others like me prefer a manual 4 or 6 cylinder so they can really wind out the motor and take the curves samurai style.

kelper,
I hear ya
This stock vs S-2 debate is similar to feelings in the sports car world. Some want a V8 monster doing burnouts and killing the 1/4 mile, while others like me prefer a 4 or 6 cylinder so they can really wind out the motor and take the curves samurai style.
I hear ya man. But as a muscle car fan I have to say more horsepower=:)
but I also love carving up corners in the Porsche 944. Now if I can find a way to put a 600hp. V8 in the 944...

ShipDit,
Reactions: kelper

optiato

My S2 just arrived in the mail and I oh-so-gently installed it with a fresh screen to make that spacer stays in place. First hit impression is very, very positive. I don't know how else to describe it... but I'll try again later. I didn't expect it to arrive today and just finished off my morning/afternoon 0.1g bowl before I went to check the mail. Of course, I had to try the S2! Needless to say, it works well.

:nod:

Chill Dude

My S2 just arrived in the mail and I oh-so-gently installed it with a fresh screen to make that spacer stays in place. First hit impression is very, very positive. I don't know how else to describe it... but I'll try again later. I didn't expect it to arrive today and just finished off my morning/afternoon 0.1g bowl before I went to check the mail. Of course, I had to try the S2! Needless to say, it works well.

:nod:

Technique?

Chill Dude,
Reactions: optiato

optiato

Technique?

5-6 second warm up and probably a 10 second draw before releasing the button to clear it. I don't really count how long I draw, I just draw until I feel it's nearing combustion or I'm satisfied. I look through the window as well and let the power off or draw faster if it's getting thicker than I like.

So, do I have to order the original FlashVape plus the S2 kit or do all new FlashVapes come with the S2?
Got this last week from the good folks at FlashVape,
"Sorry, we are not planning to release the S2 pre-packed version right now. The S2 is only available as an add-on kit. We do have plans to put together a FV S2 pre-packaged set, but that is not going to be right away, in the immediate future."

beefsupreme

An update on my feelings on the S-2 vs. the stock FV. After using the S-2 for a week or so I have decided that the stock FlashVape is definitely for me. The higher temps of the S-2 produce bigger clouds, but IMO these clouds are too hot and the "vapor" too close to smoke - nearly combustion. This makes the quality of the vapor perhaps better for med users needing a dulling effect on body and mind, but for me it is too heavy feeling, more of an opiate blanket than tripping the light fantastic. Plus, as I mentioned before, I find it uses material a lot faster.

Stock FV is a near perfect design - convection with a touch of conduction if used right. S-2 is overkill unless you're looking for heavy, numbing, hot clouds - clouds too hot and large ... that can really tear up your throat and lungs if you're not careful.

You bring up a good point - I've noticed since switching to the S2 a few days ago that its a headier, heavier medicated feeling - which is nice sometimes for sure, but for weekday use I'm going to try it with the stock S1 setup again and see. I did notice the S2 setup seems to go through material quicker and can turn it dark brown fast. I hope I can get my S2 spacer out without breaking it further. It's nice to have two vapes in one though, one for the week and one for the weekend ;)

ru_frothi

Portable Vaporist
I'd be curious to line up 10 FVs and measure them to see how consistent they are. The descriptions JoeKickass posts make me think he has an abnormally hot FV and perhaps yours runs hot too. His is a bit extreme though, while it's quite possible your variation can be attributed to variations in technique.

me too... I think mines on the colder side..... There is just no such as thick vapor with this thing in my testing. Done a dozen plus bowls and the hits are bigger than an MFLB but can't compare. My best exhaled cloud with the FV is much much less than anything from my Solo. Even right at near the combustion point I would hardly call the vapor thick.

I am still liking this thing but vapor thickness and thoroughness of extraction don't seem to be the FV's strong suits.... I will note you defintelely have to draw very slowly on this thing to get any sort of cloud. you just can't hit this thing like a Solo or an INH.

Anyone in the San Jose area up for a session? Boobs is always up for a sesh but he hasn't bought one of these yet....

Top Bottom