Arizer Solo

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
It depends on how depleted it was but not more then a few hours I wouldn't think. It is important to get the most out of the battery so at first you need to do it right although I believe it was mentioned that it might take some off the life but not much. Just charge it you can wait promise.

Having pipes adapter makes no diff for this as you need to do it right before using the PA.

THCfootprint

I was planning on buying one of the PVHE stems but I realized that there might be some smell, since there are grooves running past the seal allowing air out. Is there more of a smell with the PVHE stems compared to the stock?

THCfootprint,
Reactions: OF

OF

I was planning on buying one of the PVHE stems but I realized that there might be some smell, since there are grooves running past the seal allowing air out. Is there more of a smell with the PVHE stems compared to the stock?

No practical difference IMO. Air goes in those grooves, not out (provided you suck, not blow....). While greatly reduced from some bongs and such, there is still some smell with vapes, Solo is no exception.

And like school kids keeping their cigarette smoking 'secret' from their parents, such smells are MUCH easier for non users to spot. Your personal judgement is not to be trusted.

OF

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
ataxian, why all the extra adapters between the solo and PNWT? why not connect it directly?
Because I'm a cheap stake!

Most of my gear is 18mm.

I had to use a bunch of adapters to use the PNWT.
Yesterday I ordered a 18mm female by 14mm male to use fewer adapters.
I want a 14mm GonG in the PHVES format however Planet Vapes is out of stock.

Today I will get a 14mm GonG for my NANO.
I need a 14mm Gong for my SOLO.

It did work well despite my hacker set up.
Your right 2clicker a closer connection will provide a even better effect.

My set up is just to try the PNWT.

I have plans to cut the PNWT up and make a few adjustments to fit my needs.

Last edited:

samirfuzzywuzzy

Ok sorry to inform you guys but I have sent as many o-rings as I can sort through email. Between custom chillium and o-ring conversations I cant find anything in the huge mess of an inbox.

I have left all of the conversation that were in my inbox. Please allow one week for your o-ring to arrive and if you still don't get one fire me up a new conversation!!!

ALSO: PVHES TURBO CUSTOM CHILLIUM is making me smile every time I pickem up....more pics soon!!!

Lube Man

Guys, I hope you can help and I also hope that what I ask isn't too redundant as I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times. I narrowed down my portable vape search to the Solo and I'm ready to order. After sifting through 700+ pages in this thread, I'm totally confused on what I need to get started.

Do I just start off with what is included in the initial Solo kit?...or do I need screens?...do I need o-rings? What are the essentials to get this up and going? Don't want to go F-Bomb/bubbler......YET!

Thanks brothers & sisters!

Lube Man,

Highplanedrifter

Guys, I hope you can help and I also hope that what I ask isn't too redundant as I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times. I narrowed down my portable vape search to the Solo and I'm ready to order. After sifting through 700+ pages in this thread, I'm totally confused on what I need to get started.

Do I just start off with what is included in the initial Solo kit?...or do I need screens?...do I need o-rings? What are the essentials to get this up and going? Don't want to go F-Bomb/bubbler......YET!

Your good as is, though screens are really nice, o rings you'll need if you want pvhes stuff or water tools might want to look into a power adapter it's the only thing I wish I bought with the solo.

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT

The only thing you need is some screens (handy).

Add as you feel fit!http://www.ebay.com/itm/100ct-Lot-N...974?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46132c38e6

Or just some course 1/2" screens from PLANET VAPES I like those the best.
However I use the ebay specials as well.

PA Adapter I find useful.

Planet Vapes
PIPES
TIM http://dtsvape.com/menu/
JAMESCO (OF)

Last edited:
ataxian,
Reactions: Lube Man

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

Arizer believes that all you need is what they put in the box. Everything else you see mentioned here is optional, although some would argue that this thing or that is essential. I have a Solo that serves quite well and it is 100% stock ever since the PVHES met its sad demise.

Having said that, as you seem to have discovered, this thread is full of ideas to modify your Solo experience, some of which might meet your needs and/or tastes. You might need to use your Solo a while to figure out what those are.

Hexi

Honestly I miss my ceramic bowl:\, I'm very into taste of my meds growing my own and all. And honestly I notice a surprisingly big difference in taste the first day. Still loving my solo, but damn I miss the taste of the ceramic bowl:2c:

IMO you should walk back down there and swap your solo for the OG Ceramic. They are "collectors" items at this point. Every other model has the Stainless steel bowl. See if they can give it back to you?

=
Have people experienced insanely fast heat up times (like ON to level 7 in 20 seconds) w=

Empty or packed? How densely packed?

should i be unpacking and stirring after a certain amount of hits or just leave it ?
I don't unpack, but I do stir after a good number of hits. You may find that the pack becomes somewhat fused together, and on the brown side. Use a tooth pick to poke it (loosen it up) and then stir it a bit, and tamp down slightly. You're ready for the next round!:nod:
This, the denser the pack, the more likely I will stir. The other variable is finer grind, less need to stir.

Arizer believes that all you need is what they put in the box.
this thread is full of ideas to modify your Solo experience, some of which might meet your needs and/or tastes. You might need to use your Solo a while to figure out what those are.

Sage advice. The super brief breakdown is
  • Stock Stems, chilliums, Ed's Wood Stems, PVHEStems etc... = More flavor
  • Water tools, GonGs, Microbubblers. PVHEGonGs etc... = for cloud chasing
    • Power adapters solutions for operating the solo while plugged in can make a big difference
    • Stands for the solo can modify it so that you can stand it upright and charge/use. Check out the posts from @Pipes for examples and details
Like everyone else, I used my Solo out of the box. But now with GonGs and water tools and a PA and a Stand, I've completely changed the Solo into a mini-desktop vape.

Caligula

Maximus
Just waiting on the mail man now... killing me because I blew the top to my Persei this morning and haven't medicated yet.... totally fucked my own couch, Charlie Murphy.

Caligula,
Reactions: ataxian

Dreamerr

Patience Caligula, it is hard. I suppose if I was in your situation I would do a burn, bowl, then finish the burn and charge.

Question for solo ceramic bowl users........When I put my stem in I feel it scrapping on the bowl or at least that is what I think it is...is there more occurrences of breaking glass with the ceramic bowls? Every time I put the stem in I get scared. I need to clean the stem to see if I see and deformity but thought I would ask. TIA

Last edited:

Caligula

Maximus
That sounds like a plan. On the up side it's coming USPS so it'll be here soon versus UPS who doesn't come until almost 8pm...

It came! Charging now... lol @ the neon colored potpourri they put in there with the unit.

Question... I recall reading you shouldn't fully charge the battery in order to prolong its life but I can't find the post. Is that an actual thing?

mod note: Please avoid back-to-back posts, use Edit instead. Three posts merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

olivianewtonjohn

Question... I recall reading you shouldn't fully charge the battery in order to prolong its life but I can't find the post. Is that an actual thing?
Yes it is but honestly spend more time enjoying the vape than worrying about the battery. In two years time if the battery has deteriorated then just swap it for a new battery (only like $20). That's my take.

Dreamerr

OF had stated that you should go down to 40% and I think charge to 90% with this type of battery but to me that is a huge pain in the ass. It was also stated that you will reduce the life but a negligible amount the way I read it. Bottom line is charge the damn thing and use it and enjoy:smug:. I leave mine charging over night normally when I do charge.

Vaporito

By the time the battery deteriorates there will probably be a Solo II available....

It happens with Iphones, Ipads and any other current digital device... best thing is to used it as you need, keep a good charge, and enjoy... then upgrade.

Maybe Arizer should have a 2 year plan haha!

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
By the time the battery deteriorates there will probably be a Solo II available....

It happens with Iphones, Ipads and any other current digital device... best thing is to used it as you need, keep a good charge, and enjoy... then upgrade.

Maybe Arizer should have a 2 year plan haha!
One of my 2 SOLO's is 2 years OLD and still strong.
If they ever make a V2 I would get one or 2.
In the meantime they last a long time!

Like Dreammer say:"OF had stated that you should go down to 40% and I think charge to 90% with this type of battery but to me that is a huge pain in the ass."

That is what I do!

OF

OF had stated that you should go down to 40% and I think charge to 90% with this type of battery but to me that is a huge pain in the ass. It was also stated that you will reduce the life but a negligible amount the way I read it. Bottom line is charge the damn thing and use it and enjoy:smug:. I leave mine charging over night normally when I do charge.

Actually that's not quite what I said, nor do I think possible savings are "a negligible amount" by any means. Avoiding the last .1 Volt of charging (stopping when the top LED is lit but before the charge light stops flashing for instance) doubles the lifespan. 600 recharge cycles not 300. Double the lifespan at the expense of 10% of the charge capacity. You decide if that's significant or not. More over, the next .1 costing an additional 20% of capacity (also 'hidden' after the last LED lights) doubles it again to well over 1000 cycles. Makers are happy if you get enough battery life to get out of warranty, then are looking to sell you a replacement (and it's way more than $20......). They also make money on more sessions per charge. Where do you think their advice might be pointed?

So, give up a session or less and double the lifetime. Give up a bit more (stop at 4.0 not 4.2) and you get a battery you can recharge every other day for over six years?

My advice is to never do anything but recharge after a session that showed no LEDs on start up (OK to do that session, but no more before recharging) and take it off charge before the charge LED goes solid when you can and and it should last a very long time. Run it unitl it locks out a few times, or habitually 'charge until it stops' and don't expect long battery life. Charging 'to the top' only takes a cycle or two off the total each time you do it, but hammering the discharge end can be a serious life taker.

Your call, but you might want to check out the text around Table 4. FYI the top LED lights just after 4.0 Volts is passed on charging:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

OF

Pipes

Addicted DIY Enthusiast
Accessory Maker
IIRC, the 40% life gain in battery is already designed into the Solo. It's internal charging circuit takes it to 8.2 volts instead of the more standard 8.4 volts. (4.1 per cell rather then 4.2)
Same on the other end, when indicates no LEDs when in fact it still has a fair charge. Well designed to help keep the batteries in good shape. And keep warranty battery replacements at bay.
This is a very well thought out unit.

EDIT:
What OF said.....^^^^^^^^^^^^^^He's quick.

Caligula

Maximus
Actually that's not quite what I said, nor do I think possible savings are "a negligible amount" by any means. Avoiding the last .1 Volt of charging (stopping when the top LED is lit but before the charge light stops flashing for instance) doubles the lifespan. 600 recharge cycles not 300. Double the lifespan at the expense of 10% of the charge capacity. You decide if that's significant or not. More over, the next .1 costing an additional 20% of capacity (also 'hidden' after the last LED lights) doubles it again to well over 1000 cycles. Makers are happy if you get enough battery life to get out of warranty, then are looking to sell you a replacement (and it's way more than $20......). They also make money on more sessions per charge. Where do you think their advice might be pointed?

So, give up a session or less and double the lifetime. Give up a bit more (stop at 4.0 not 4.2) and you get a battery you can recharge every other day for over six years?

My advice is to never do anything but recharge after a session that showed no LEDs on start up (OK to do that session, but no more before recharging) and take it off charge before the charge LED goes solid when you can and and it should last a very long time. Run it unitl it locks out a few times, or habitually 'charge until it stops' and don't expect long battery life. Charging 'to the top' only takes a cycle or two off the total each time you do it, but hammering the discharge end can be a serious life taker.

Your call, but you might want to check out the text around Table 4. FYI the top LED lights just after 4.0 Volts is passed on charging:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

OF
Sounds like my cell phone. I have set the kernel for my custom ROM to stop charging @91% capacity for that very reason. Now with all this being said, is it necessary to recharge to 7 between the initial burn in heatup sessions?

@Pipes did that aio+ ship yet?

Edit: should I ISO clean the metal bowl in this thing before use?

Double edit: damn I missed my 420th post

Caligula

Maximus
Okay, second burn in is almost done. Now, for bud on a stock stem I should try power level 4 first? And AFAIK I'm supposed to let the bowl warm up without the stem... then add the stem and let that heat until I see condensation at which point I start drawing?

Caligula,

Dreamerr

You know you will get five opinions but this is what happened to me. When I first got the solo I was a 4-5 person till I learned it now I am strictly 3 so play and 4 is a good place to start. Most of us put the stem in while warming or load while warming so the stem does make it in before it is done. I you warm it with the stem and pull it the herb is still cool. Don't touch it cause if you touch the glass that is hot lol. You will get a few hits possibly with no vapor till the herb is warmed up.

Caligula

Maximus
You know you will get five opinions but this is what happened to me. When I first got the solo I was a 4-5 person till I learned it now I am strictly 3 so play and 4 is a good place to start. Most of us put the stem in while warming or load while warming so the stem does make it in before it is done. I you warm it with the stem and pull it the herb is still cool. Don't touch it cause if you touch the glass that is hot lol. You will get a few hits possibly with no vapor till the herb is warmed up.
3 is win I think. 4 got me popcorn after 2 hits. Also for wax/shatter.... level 7?

Oh and how tight do you pack these bowls?

Caligula,
Reactions: Maine420
Top Bottom