Arizer Solo

ataxian

PALE BLUE DOT
With all these new generation portable vapes out there or about to hit the streets I strongly believe it's time for Arizer to release the new and improved Solo that I am sure is already being developed or even tested by now. Not evolving the design even if it sells well (?) would be unwise from their part if they want to keep up with the comp. I am a great advocate of the Solo but if I don't see some size reduction and some passthrough micro USB thingy soon, I am leaving for the INH camp! Oh! And a bigger bowl too please while you are at it Arizer... Thanks for listening to the customers! :p
I agree!

ataxian,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
I'm still schlepping around a M102 which is pretty well dead now. It only works on the passthru and is cracked all over the bottom. Need to get a new one lol.

CentiZen,
Once again, I have no idea what you are talking about.
No harm is done, you might hear a sound that irritates your ears but nothing changes...the SS is strong and unaffected and the ring material is flexible.

I think some of you are "too" careful.

Several people have mentioned this issue. It's not a big concern for me, since all my stems seem to fit differently anyways.

Did ed's stem stretch anybody's retaining ring to hell? My glass stem fits soo loose now it's unreal. I had no idea it was going to do that
My retaining ring is enlarged a bit, but not to the point where it's an issue with stock glass stems.
Now I know what happened my retaining ring must have stretched as well. My glass stems were very tight...to tight and now the straight to me is just tight enough and the bent a little to loose. I have ed's stem too. I have been switching between them to find a groove.

kingofnull,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
Several people have mentioned this issue. It's not a big concern for me, since all my stems seem to fit differently anyways.

I will look at my ring and post a pic later on...

But keep in mind that the ring will always get bigger and looser regardless of the stem used...its because of the heat and the tiring material...

m0sh,
Original stem
Old11.jpg

Changed (fixed) stem.

New55.jpg

Not sure if images show differences clearly.

This is what I wrote to Ed. His response was very fine.

"Your product is beautiful the wood work is really fine. The bog wood is great and the inclusion of the carbon dating was a real plus. Never seen
one before.

I have though quite a few problems with the metalwork such that I will not be using the product until it is fixed. I am able to fix it but if this
if this is just anomaly I would rather see a different version from you.

It has very sharp surface. The end is sharp enough that it would cut through a pocket. In fact it seems that has been fashioned (chamfered) to enhance
the sharpness. I believe this instrument should not be sharp and that the end should have the sharpness removed. From studying the Arizer and
how the glass stems work I don't see how the sharpness if functional.

You can feel the machining along the surface of the main barrel. The main barrel is 2/1000 greater in diameter than the glass . Even though this in itself
is not a real problem. The fact that the surface is rough means it acts like sandpaper on the Arizer. We noticed that one use of the stem caused the
glass stems to not fit as well. I believe the surface of this should be as smooth as the glass that it is replacing. I also believe that the use
of the stem in its current condition would erode the sophisticated seal/o-ring not sure exactly what it is of the Arizer. There seems to
be adequate metal to be able to make this surface polished like a mirror.

Third point.The pin which attaches the metal to the wood is not really finished very well. It looks like it has just been cut and there is not
much of an attempt to make a very finished join. This is aesthetics but such a beautiful product I believe should have more attention to detail."

Some notes after the repair was made:

Main barrel was probably 4/1000 larger than the glass.
The Arizer O-Ring is black and probably should be brown (high temperature). Brown O-Rings
are more expensive only by a few cents. Destroyed O-Rings can be replaced without alot of
difficulty.
The main barrel was probably made from aluminum tubing which by manufacture is made
very hard. All problems would have probably been averted if the aluminum was annealed down
to a 0 hardness. Then the tube could have been singly passed smooth using a finishing
tool instead of the pointed tool that was used.
The wood part of the product also had a pretty sharp end which we rounded to take off
the sharpness.

MonsterWithoutBorders,
I will look at my ring and post a pic later on...

But keep in mind that the ring will always get bigger and looser regardless of the stem used...its because of the heat and the tiring material...

Of course, I just don't want to hurry the process.

kingofnull,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
monster...i wondered about the sharpness scratching my ceramic bowl that can not be replaced. I have not noticed any chipping, but I do see four marks where the four slots on the stem would be. I would love to have a duller bowl, as well as one that stays on. How do you like yours now?

stickstones,
monster...i wondered about the sharpness scratching my ceramic bowl that can not be replaced. I have not noticed any chipping, but I do see four marks where the four slots on the stem would be. I would love to have a duller bowl, as well as one that stays on. How do you like yours now?

Works beautifully now. I used a small file to take off the sharp edges.

MonsterWithoutBorders,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
Ok, I'm just asking for some changes because the other guys have moved ahead with their portables and they transform them slowly into I-can-do-it-all-little-marvels... I mean, the Solo happpens not to be the best portable home vape mainly because of not having a passthrough out of the box (not all can afford the other cable...) and not having a bigger bowl. And it's not the best on the road vape mainly because of the size. Yes it is what it is and it performs great but it can be so much more with a few key changes. Anyway, it's the only way they will keep their customers as competition grows IMHO. :2c:

:cheers:

One of the reasons i am happier with the Solo is its smaller bow. Last 3 months aproximately i collected about 3g of ABV.. This would not be possible with a bigger bowl. I am already noticing a difference since i got my Solo to when i only used my WW..

I think it is time for manufacturers to address the different bowl size issue.. i think they should start engineering a bowl that can be adjusted mechanicaly to allow for different sizes.

I also think the Solo can be improved in many ways, many have been talked about here, but IMO they will have to do a new model altogether and keep the Solo.

vorrange,
Reactions: Vitolo
One of the reasons i am happier with the Solo is its smaller bow. Last 3 months aproximately i collected about 3g of ABV.. This would not be possible with a bigger bowl. I am already noticing a difference since i got my Solo to when i only used my WW..

I think it is time for manufacturers to address the different bowl size issue.. i think they should start engineering a bowl that can be adjusted mechanicaly to allow for different sizes.

I also think the Solo can be improved in many ways, many have been talked about here, but IMO they will have to do a new model altogether and keep the Solo.

You can reduce the size of the Solo bowls by doming or raising the screen, but I understand that's not really what you're talking about.

Here you go this is my solo after a few good month of ed wood stem only!

snip

As you can see there's nothing out of the ordinary ...

Thanks m0sh. You're right, yours looks fine to me.

kingofnull,

m0sh

Singer Song Writer Stoner
My almost perfect setup :

SXY7v.jpg

:)

Things needed to make it perfect :

Mini HT
Short wood stem
14mm-18mm reducer from wood instead of glass (broke 1 from glass)

HSIHP

it looks like its gonna be a race between PlanetVape and Puffitup to see who gets the black solo in first. Who ever that may be, I will order from then as soon as it happens! I am so ready to get in the solo club. It seems just about everyone on this site haves and loved this vape.

HSIHP,

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
@ kingofnull, yes it does stretch the retaining ring but if you leave no stem in it does go back to size after about a day. My glass stems did tighten again but of course not like when they came but that is normal. They are no longer falling out as easy and twisting around while using them. I can pull up on them with my mouth to get more air under the stem so it is still loose. When I first got the solo I couldn't move the stem even when at temp.

I have the new ed's stem and it is tight even when heated so I can only assume it is bigger. I thought the bowl size was bigger but never measured. I use all the stems the same no matter the size. I don't find for me it matters cause I do think they both vape the material different...ss vs glass. I like both stems depending on my mood.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: Vitolo

X24

I'm sure that, on the whole, a larger or adjustable bowl would be welcomed.

But, I enjoy a ~.1g-.2g fixed bowl. Simple is beautiful to me, and the solo makes it simple for my usage. My tolerance has adjusted to where 1 bowl = nice, pleasant typical high. [5] 2 bowls = [7+] and I've never ran 3 bowls in one sitting with this thing (yet!).

This is the solo, and thus it does seem to be geared more toward solo use.

My usage scenario is perhaps a bit odd, but matches up well to the Solo. I prefer to vape with 1-3 people. An actual party is where I tend to deviate from the tasty, pure vapors to the seductive art of joint rolling.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I don't know if I'll ever give up my Solo for a personal session. This thing tastes pure, the battery has never ever came close to dying on me, can travel with my scatter-brained mind and simply can hit harder than I can keep up with. Not to mention the dead simplicity and bulletproof design.

\end high rant

X24,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
You can reduce the size of the Solo bowls by doming or raising the screen, but I understand that's not really what you're talking about.

Thanks m0sh. You're right, yours looks fine to me.

I already dome it, but just because the screens i had did not fit otherwise. If i learned anything here at FC is that the biggest advantage for me can be a real pain in the ass for someone else.

I think the guys at Arizer and other manufacturers could easily adress this issue. It is not that hard to tackle and it can make a unit much more versatile. I would love a mini wand for my dbv for example. The pax could have a smaller basket that would fit inside the first one. The inhalater could have different sized capsules.

Its one of those things i can't comprehend how it has not been addressed yet. I see people commenting all the time, i like this but i want a bigger bowl or vice versa, and then choose a different model from another brand.. I did that already.

With time i understood where my priorities lay and i adjusted my vape usage and my present and future vapes according to those priorities. One is efficiency, the other is taste.

Nowadays, with the present and future vaporizers, efficiency is more a matter of volume than physics.

I'm sure that, on the whole, a larger or adjustable bowl would be welcomed.

But, I enjoy a ~.1g-.2g fixed bowl. Simple is beautiful to me, and the solo makes it simple for my usage. My tolerance has adjusted to where 1 bowl = nice, pleasant typical high. [5] 2 bowls = [7+] and I've never ran 3 bowls in one sitting with this thing (yet!).

This is the solo, and thus it does seem to be geared more toward solo use.

My usage scenario is perhaps a bit odd, but matches up well to the Solo. I prefer to vape with 1-3 people. An actual party is where I tend to deviate from the tasty, pure vapors to the seductive art of joint rolling.

Honestly, the more I think about it, I don't know if I'll ever give up my Solo for a personal session. This thing tastes pure, the battery has never ever came close to dying on me, can travel with my scatter-brained mind and simply can hit harder than I can keep up with. Not to mention the dead simplicity and bulletproof design.

\end high rant
I agree, but people have different expectations about how high and have different tolerances to MJ. This is why i understand for some peoples need/preference for bigger bowls.
I just don't share it and in fact, i avoid bigger bowls.
I also believe that the manufacturers have an interest in appealing to a larger audience, so having adjustable bowls or different stems with different sized bowls would be more beneficial to them than to me..

vorrange,

Dreamerr

I wonder if with some vapes a bigger or smaller bowl will effect the way the vape works. Heating can be an issue, whether under or over heating because of the change. It seems logical to me.

Dreamerr,

vorrange

Vapor.wise
I wonder if with some vapes a bigger or smaller bowl will effect the way the vape works. Heating can be an issue, whether under or over heating because of the change. It seems logical to me.

I think so too.. but not so much under/over heating, more like uneven roasting. I still believe this should be tested and implemented.
I think it is plain stupid to be forced to buy a new vaporizer because you need to do more than one session because of a small bowl. But i think it is even more stupid to not be able to vape less without hindering your experience, because this is not about volume but about the design.

On top of it all, if you have convection, which most vaporizers use nowadays, the depth of the bowl is not as crucial for an even roasting as when you use conduction. And if you use conduction, diminish the diameter of the bowl, while maintaining depth.

vorrange,

Dreamerr

I meant to put in even roast and forgot while typing but that is important as well to some of us. I don't like to stir cause I will spill the load.

I have put the screens in the stem just because it makes it easier to load the stem with the suck method. I find no other difference with the screen because I didn't care about the bits and pieces coming up through the stem.

Edit....Help needed....I just tried to use my fully charged solo and it heated up and then all of a sudden before I got to use it beeped and went off. I tried to turn it back on and the 7 light and blue light only go on beep and shuts off. Is this a known issue. I suppose it is history and I need a new one but would like feedback before I call.:cry:
When I plug it is it flashes just the 7 light briefly and the blue light and cycles that same thing over and over.

Dreamerr,

Dreamerr

How long did you wait. Mine is now cooled down and nothing.

Dreamerr,

tepictoton

I had similar issue some time ago. Happened few times, but then disappeared the same way it came:)

I did not even let it cool down, just kept pushing it on and off

tepictoton,

Dreamerr

Didn't this worry any of you that the device you had may have had a defect? Even if it does end up working again I am worried about the long term effect.

Dreamerr,
Top Bottom