The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

hazyy1

I've finally dialed it in and for me atleast have figured out how to use it with a wand and get great even roasts.

I use the straw method with the revolve 2. It usually vacumes up just past the side holes and I packed it down so its more or less even with the side holes.

Using the Helix
1. Open - I set the airport to 25 to 35% and after heating at 535 to 540 - with my finger on the open air port - I inhale softely to get the heat to start flowing for about 1 and half secs and then let go and inhale for about 2-3 seconds - exhale - and then feather it as I inhale harder. I've been getting punchy hits!

2. Bypass - I set the airport to 50% and after heating 535 to 540 - with my finger on the bypass airport - I inhale softly to get the heat to start flowing and for about 1 and half seconds and then let go and inhale for about 2-3 seconds - exhale and then feather it as I increase my intake. I've been getting really smooth terpy hits!

3. Closed - I set the airport to about 75 to 90 % and after heating 535 to 540 - i inhale softely and exhale and inhale softly and exhale and inhale and exhale and its sooooo nice and smooth and tasty!!! and EVEN ROAST!!!

I LOOOOOve my anvil but I feel like the tempest is a little bit anvil and DV and something inbetween.

While my orignal color was black/purple - I LOOOOOOVE my purple/lime green. I'll eventually get myself a black tip so I can use it with my purple/lime green shield!!!

@Brenyo Thank you for indirectly getting me to my End Game color scheme! and the extra revolve.

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
While my orignal color was black/purple - I LOOOOOOVE my purple/lime green. I'll eventually get myself a black tip so I can use it with my purple/lime green shield!!!
Also had original black/purple, took blue as replacement and am really happy with the color, its beautiful to look at and handle.
Like you, thinking of getting a black unit , although full set maybe, with that sweet rosewood or some other wood.

As I was putting an additional tempest head in the cart, I suddenly remembered someone talking about an XL head or something like that, then it got me thinking about a possible gen 2 tempest...maybe I should just be patient and wait a bit?

edit: I think I got a new favorite config, I think I'll call it the "nifty fifty" - 50% cap airflow and 50% open helix while puffing on it like a good old j, good old slow puffs

Last edited:

HaggisHunter

Thanks to everyone who had advice about the bowl retaining screen.
If you're still having issues with the ball retaining screen, when it's in you'll see one segment looks a little deformed in comparison to the rest of it.
I don't have issues getting them in, but what I do anyway, I get one segment of the ball screen and with a pair of flat nose pliers I bend it down every so slightly, I then bend/twist it down to the left, these adjustments are tiny, the photo actually makes it look more bent than it is.
What it does is it helps get the first segment engage into the threads a bit easier, it'll only help if the adjustments you make are small, if you go at it and bend too much, it'll make it much more difficult to engage.
Once you've made the adjustment, lay the screen down inside, make sure the bent segment is facing downwards, turn anticlockwise till you feel a click, when you feel the click turn clockwise and it should engage nice and easy.

I gave this advice to someone a few days ago whose eyesight unfortunately isn't too good, it helped them sort this issue.

PXL-20240923-163446799.jpg

HaggisHunter,

GnarlyVandal

It's also possible that the pointer is bent along its length, which could cause similar issues. Make sure when you remove it to rotate it where there is a cut on the inner side of the wall.
Just in case anyone’s interested, I think this is the issue. Very hard to see a bend in the pointer, however after a few attempts at bending it with hard tweezers the VI is no longer getting stuck and consistency has massively improved. I must have bent it way back when taking my first spring out, and removed the VI just because… Don’t force it folks, use me as an example, there’s markers for everything, even taking out the VI

ezpz

Howzit everyone. Got my order in last Friday. Thanks for the freebies @Brenyo, truly appreciated. Included with my order was my beta upgrade kit (I think we all know where this post is headed).

Everything came apart easily. Installed the click discs and VI no problem. The spring took me 3 tries of compressing/installing before I got it in. Once in, I thought, “That wasn’t so bad.” First heat-up using the wand at 640F (my usual), second click came when red blinks turned solid. After timeout, I looked at VI and it was all the way to the end, past the third mark (my old VI normally would be right before third mark at timeout). So my VI was flying forward during heat-up, and took forever to start retracting. Used it for the week hoping the spring would settle in but it never did. Thankfully, my wand game is on point, so I didn’t need the VI or click discs.

So I took the head apart yesterday, took a picture of the installed spring (so I could post about my problems), and noticed my fuck up.

The end of the spring was slightly to the left of the post. So the other post (where the spring is bent), you can see that the bend of the spring is slightly on the inside of that post. I squeezed the bent side of the spring, so the end of the spring is now connected to the post. VI all good now. Just gotta do testing with my click disc now (how long to heat after second click).

I_like_logs

I seem to have broken the glass in my wand adapter… can anyone recommend an alternative? Or should I grab another from Mad Heaters?

I_like_logs,
Reactions: ahm123

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub

mah babeh after an ultrasonic bath, time to go back to direct and bypass

EDIT:
ok, direct to lung guys, hear me out with this:

the tempest:
bowl 50%, straw method and light tamp (personally cant handle the full one here, yet)
cap airflow 100% open
bypass helix setting 100% open (only air through spiral, mixing only in condenser)
direct tube+secondary cooling unit (mouthpiece will get warm with this)

the draw:
a determined and constant strong pull (but not max power) with no airport flutter for the first 2/3 of the draw

the wand:
280-290 C (environment & battery variable)
heat until timeout for first heatup
if doing another heatup straight away - stop when indicator is between first and second line marker (it will still go up a bit after you stop)

Try this and lemme know what you think, so far I'm calling it "the espresso"

Last edited:

General Disaster

A Total disMember
As of today though I think I've got it sussed. I don't know for certain whether there was a burr in bowl retaining screen thread - but I "scraped" it out using the same method that I was advised to scrape the wooden stem with, and bugger me if I can't now screw the bowl retaining screen in.
I found the level (the height in the cap) of the ball's can make a big difference here. If they are sitting a tiny bit too high, it stops the screen from engaging with the thread securely. You can test this easily (next time it happens) by removing two or three and trying again, if it goes on ok, then they weren't settled properly or there's a few too many.

I'd be a little surprised if the threads had burring on them, the material is different, as is the manufacture, of the inner stainless steel sleeve in the stem. In addition, I suspect the machining process that creates the thread is different to that which may cause the burring in the sleeve.

General Disaster,

sporty90

The Tempest is simply awesome, but I have a problem. This is my first butane vape and I get much better results with a lighter. With the lighter everything is browned perfectly evenly. When I use my Ispire Wand, it is usually dark at the top.

sporty90,

eyevape

👀
The Tempest is simply awesome, but I have a problem. This is my first butane vape and I get much better results with a lighter. With the lighter everything is browned perfectly evenly. When I use my Ispire Wand, it is usually dark at the top.
Maybe because the Tempest is standing upside down in the Wand? The heat from the balls kinda primes the top herb, so it’s warmer and more dry by the time you hit it. Guess you don’t hold it like that when torching.

eyevape,

AnAirlessCell

I seem to have broken the glass in my wand adapter… can anyone recommend an alternative? Or should I grab another from Mad Heaters?
The silicone one from DynaVap does function. Won’t be able to see the v if you roll like that. Also it does hold it in a little differently so heat up and depth is a little different but it does the job. Plus side you won’t burn yourself on it

AnAirlessCell,

Singularity Walker

After having some time side-by-side with multiple Tempest devices using different settings I have taken BetaT back to 2.5mm Zirc (had tried 3mm when it was mentioned there might be a switch).
I have also switched to Direct Tube and Bypass Airflow but I usually keep the airport covered only occasionally letting a little air in if I need.
Half bowl setting with the airflow on the cap/oven half open.
Using Tempest Wand Adapter with depth set so the top line of the Tempest is in line with the top of glass similar to the 'Heating with the Wand IH' from the manual which at 290c give similar VI positioning to the video.
I prefer a temp setting of 280c in oil mode or 3 flowers lit one ghosted in flower mode of the Wand till time-out.

Singularity Walker,

VapingYogi

Pranayama; of a sort.
A new Aussie shop with the Tempest & Accessories for the Aussies worried about dealing with Customs

Its the long awaited rebrand of Wick and Wire incase your curious

https://www.herbware.com.au/collections/buy-mad-heaters-uk-australia

(has stock ~70 currently but who knows for how long, meant for Aussies within Australia - we have the worst Vape laws of anywhere atm)

Last edited:

hazyy1

I've finally dialed it in and for me atleast have figured out how to use it with a wand and get great even roasts.

I use the straw method with the revolve 2. It usually vacumes up just past the side holes and I packed it down so its more or less even with the side holes.

Using the Helix
1. Open - I set the airport to 25 to 35% and after heating at 535 to 540 - with my finger on the open air port - I inhale softely to get the heat to start flowing for about 1 and half secs and then let go and inhale for about 2-3 seconds - exhale - and then feather it as I inhale harder. I've been getting punchy hits!

2. Bypass - I set the airport to 50% and after heating 535 to 540 - with my finger on the bypass airport - I inhale softly to get the heat to start flowing and for about 1 and half seconds and then let go and inhale for about 2-3 seconds - exhale and then feather it as I increase my intake. I've been getting really smooth terpy hits!

3. Closed - I set the airport to about 75 to 90 % and after heating 535 to 540 - i inhale softely and exhale and inhale softly and exhale and inhale and exhale and its sooooo nice and smooth and tasty!!! and EVEN ROAST!!!

I LOOOOOve my anvil but I feel like the tempest is a little bit anvil and DV and something inbetween.

@Brenyo Thank you for indirectly getting me to my End Game color scheme! and the extra revolve.
good lord i must've been so stoned when I wrote this. I'm pretty sure I mixed up the open and closed descriptions... and I call the reload2 the revolve lmaooo I'm crying laughing at myself right now.

I did have a question, as I continue to enjoy this vape more and more, I've noticed that my VI only goes to about the 2nd marker using the wand. Is that normal? If I were to use a torch (I haven't yet) would that be different? Just curious as I've been getting pretty dark roasted (mostly even) at the 2nd VI marker (Using the wand 535-540 - has been my sweet spot)

Thanks!

Sudolewdo

Sudolewdo,

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
good lord i must've been so stoned when I wrote this. I'm pretty sure I mixed up the open and closed descriptions... and I call the reload2 the revolve lmaooo I'm crying laughing at myself right now.

I did have a question, as I continue to enjoy this vape more and more, I've noticed that my VI only goes to about the 2nd marker using the wand. Is that normal? If I were to use a torch (I haven't yet) would that be different? Just curious as I've been getting pretty dark roasted (mostly even) at the 2nd VI marker (Using the wand 535-540 - has been my sweet spot)

Thanks!
hey my man, i believe you are doing the same I did - the tempest is too low. I had to recheck the manual a few times on that part with 2 red lines and positioning where it explains about more convection vs more conduction depending on the position.

When I read it initially i switched the "top" and "bottom" lines , idk why. then after a few days when I was rereading to check if I missed anything I saw that part and double checked my adapter and tempest depth and saw that I was leaning heavy toward extra conduction with my positioning.

I fixed that by pushing the glass insert a millimeter or smth like that to be closer to that convection side and now this thing is blowing my mind with the tasty rips, and also the indicator now goes to 3rd mark and second click occurs.

btw, after like 30-40 bowls now, the click discs started cooldown clicking earlier as the manual said.

Got tempest just yesterday.

(@Brenyo , @phattpiggie , thanks a lot! Amazing device!)

Results are pretty nice, but just wanna check, that I got the idea:

Re-heat is essential?

F3-A9-EEF6-4-DB1-4-CDB-9639-D7-E03640-BB44.jpg

Over-exposed:

23453906-7072-4-A99-AD25-71-A4-BDFDD4-AB.jpg

My settings:

Head-air-port full-open/

My comfortable air-add: stem-air-port 40%-open/

1st heating up to click / long, half-slow dtl-pull / re-heat 12 sec / long, half-slow dtl-pull / re-heat 12 sec etc

3 flame torch, 1 up, 2 down

Last edited:

Crome

Anyone got a good idea for a case ? For the tempest reload and wand combo?
I tried Brenyo's Firedog small bag but my wand doesn't fit in it.
( BTW the wand on the dynavap site is 7.3 inch but I found different sizes on different sites... Is this possible ? :D )

Crome,

n0tu2

vgoodiez has a wand adapter too but i think it's the same as the dynavap one? says it comes with one straight thru glass and one glass bottomed one.. but not sure if tempest fits in or if the bottom is smooth rounded so u can see the VI thru it.. dont have that one

EDIT: really not sure if it is a lipped seated cup or not.. then you won't be able to get it low enough at all.. or if the tempest will even fit in the opening in the first place.. but the sleeve silicon part definitely would need a few ribs trimmed off it to make it shorter. maybe someone who has both can confirm it works in a pinch but not as good as the mad heaters one.. dunno

Last edited:
n0tu2,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
( BTW the wand on the dynavap site is 7.3 inch but I found different sizes on different sites... Is this possible ? :D )
If you look back in the thread, there are a couple others, but I'm liking this one that I picked up at Amazon. Called the OZCHIN
20240909-141917-resized.jpg

This version. It's about 10 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/OZCHIN-Smell-Proof-Pouch-Storage/dp/B08LP9HRMV/

hazyy1

hey my man, i believe you are doing the same I did - the tempest is too low. I had to recheck the manual a few times on that part with 2 red lines and positioning where it explains about more convection vs more conduction depending on the position.

When I read it initially i switched the "top" and "bottom" lines , idk why. then after a few days when I was rereading to check if I missed anything I saw that part and double checked my adapter and tempest depth and saw that I was leaning heavy toward extra conduction with my positioning.

I fixed that by pushing the glass insert a millimeter or smth like that to be closer to that convection side and now this thing is blowing my mind with the tasty rips, and also the indicator now goes to 3rd mark and second click occurs.

btw, after like 30-40 bowls now, the click discs started cooldown clicking earlier as the manual said.
If I am understanding correctly, I just re-read that part of the manual. I should aim to have the top of the glass on the wand to alignup with the top half of those lines?

Thahnks,

hazyy1,

Feyd2blak

I thought the same initially but having the wand at an angle works nicely and let's the reload and carry case fit ok, I have the ozchin above as well but do prefer the smaller firedog now. No idea if different wand lengths is a thing

Feyd2blak,
Top Bottom