The Tempest by Mad Heaters & Phatpiggie

I_like_logs

Anyone got a good idea for a case ?
I have a Fjăllrăven “high coast pocket” that fits the tempest, wand and reload. There is also space in the front pocket for additional batteries.

Edit: added photo.

The tempest case also fits, it’s just not handy atm. Reckon you could almost fit a second reload, but it’d be tight.

Last edited:

delta hotel

I've been using the OZCHIN, carrying the same way @cybrguy is. It's also got a little zip pouch I can stick the extra screens, balls, or other little pieces in to keep stored safely.

I have a Fjăllrăven “high coast pocket” that fits the tempest, wand and reload. There is also space in the front pocket for additional batteries.
I've been looking for something like this though! I might pick this up, thank you!

akp55

Mine broke too, I used the silicone from Dynavap but it’s not deep enough and it falls out when you get it in the right position. I just ordered a new one.
I use the silicon one, it's more than deep enough, if you have the little support for the wand it's even easier. Place the adapter in and then use a credit card to help push it up to the correct level (this give about 1mm of space between the desk and the adapter.

I_like_logs

That "high coast pocket" does seem higher quality both in fabric and in the zippers, but it is also 3 times the price. I will keep it in mind if the OZCHIN ends up not performing well.
Yeah I didn’t purchase it for the tempest, just realised that it fits and thought some here might appreciate it. Fjăllrăven have been making good quality stuff since the 60’s.

hazyy1

hey my man, i believe you are doing the same I did - the tempest is too low. I had to recheck the manual a few times on that part with 2 red lines and positioning where it explains about more convection vs more conduction depending on the position.

When I read it initially i switched the "top" and "bottom" lines , idk why. then after a few days when I was rereading to check if I missed anything I saw that part and double checked my adapter and tempest depth and saw that I was leaning heavy toward extra conduction with my positioning.

I fixed that by pushing the glass insert a millimeter or smth like that to be closer to that convection side and now this thing is blowing my mind with the tasty rips, and also the indicator now goes to 3rd mark and second click occurs.

btw, after like 30-40 bowls now, the click discs started cooldown clicking earlier as the manual said.
I tried pushing my adaptor a little higher but my VI only goes just past the 2nd indicator.

Any thoughts?

hazyy1,

emily

Just took this brand new Tempest out for it's maiden voyage. And I'm really impressed! I got wood stem and a glass stem too.

I found the manual on the site amaazing. So much info there. I used the wand and got some excellent hits straight away. The stem and tip combo is next level, the way it cools the vapor made me felt like I wasn't getting anything at first. But oh yeah, massive rips. The visual indicator is an amazing tool when reheating it. I didn't manage to get it to click on this first go, but I didn't need to because a single heat cycle on the wand is perfect.

Compared to the Thermal Accumulator, this vape is next level. And the Thermal Accumulator totally rules too.

I'm really impressed with the intense engineering that went into this thing. I was expecting something a little more half baked for some reason. But this thing is really thoroughly developed and well put together. I've owned a lot of vaporizers and this one is in it's own league in terms of all the details and tweakable elements.

I appreciate all the beta testers posting on FC. You guys put me onto something awesome here!

.d

Wubba Lubba dub-dub
I tried pushing my adaptor a little higher but my VI only goes just past the 2nd indicator.

Any thoughts?
temperature settings 290? waiting till timeout, ignoring both clicks?

do you hear the second click after it times out or right before?

.d,

BlazeDis

Are you using the wand? If so, I recommend making your adaptor more shallow. This will help with combustion and also provide more convection.
Hi so do you mean the wand is only heating the balls section of the Tempest head ?

Hi so do you mean the wand is only heating the balls section of the Tempest head ?
It’s just I don’t have an adaptor just yet so looking for tips for best wand heating technique

BlazeDis,
Reactions: Octavia

vapefritz

What do you guys think about using fine silver balls?
Just my first thought: Would not like it, because silver is pretty toxic. Not sure how big the harm would actually be when used as heat matrix in a vape, but still. The more conductive materials people currently use for their balls (steel, sic) conduct heat well enough so that even a rather small number of balls is enough to heat up the volume of air equivalent to a big deep breath, at a speed of a fast draw. I don't see what advantages a material with even greater thermal conductivity would bring to the table, so why risk using a toxic material when you can just use harmless steel or sic? And with the Tempest they actually went in the other direction, opting for zirconium as default ball material, because it conducts heat less, leading to greater heat retention and longer sessions.

vapefritz,
Sneezed and dropped my piping hot tempest on a cable which then rolled on to a pillow. What a mess. Smells absolutely terrible. ISO soak, wand burn off, repeat…alas no butane. Hope this works. What a blow

larfy

Just my first thought: Would not like it, because silver is pretty toxic. Not sure how big the harm would actually be when used as heat matrix in a vape, but still. The more conductive materials people currently use for their balls (steel, sic) conduct heat well enough so that even a rather small number of balls is enough to heat up the volume of air equivalent to a big deep breath, at a speed of a fast draw. I don't see what advantages a material with even greater thermal conductivity would bring to the table, so why risk using a toxic material when you can just use harmless steel or sic? And with the Tempest they actually went in the other direction, opting for zirconium as default ball material, because it conducts heat less, leading to greater heat retention and longer sessions.
The reason I'm looking at this is I was curious about what would be a material that will hold heat longer than steel. Copper would be great but obviously far too toxic. So next best would be silver. Or gold, platinum maybe diamond but that would cost too much for me to be able to try.

larfy,

vapefritz

The reason I'm looking at this is I was curious about what would be a material that will hold heat longer than steel.
Silver does not hold heat longer than steel. Zirconium has even greater heat capacity than steel. I know, instinctively one would think higher thermal conductivity equals higher thermal capacity but that's not true.

Last edited:
vapefritz,
Sneezed and dropped my piping hot tempest on a cable which then rolled on to a pillow. What a mess. Smells absolutely terrible. ISO soak, wand burn off, repeat…alas no butane. Hope this works. What a blow
Woke up and first thing in my head was my late night mishap. Got it almost back to 100% without a torch. I do NOT recommend dropping a hot tempest

humbuckers,

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
Not sure if this was already posted, but I think it should be.

The Tempest by MAD Heaters. A very deep dive.
Believe that last year he posted first public video of Tempest. Making my delivery wait more bearable at the time of ordering beta version...

Last edited:

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Woke up and first thing in my head was my late night mishap. Got it almost back to 100% without a torch. I do NOT recommend dropping a hot tempest
I was torching some zirconium balls in a spoon last night and I accidentally lost a few of the balls onto my carpet near their hottest point. My advice to anyone else who does this is, just let it burn the carpet. While it is true your fingerprints will probably come back, it is never a good plan to try and manipulate hot balls with ANY fleshy parts. Including (and maybe especially) your lap...

I think adding a ceramic plate underneath the spoon in which I'm heating balls is a future plan.

larfy

Silver does not hold heat longer than steel. Zirconium has even greater heat capacity than steel. I know, instinctively one would think higher thermal conductivity equals higher thermal capacity but that's not t

Silver does not hold heat longer than steel. Zirconium has even greater heat capacity than steel. I know, instinctively one would think higher thermal conductivity equals higher thermal capacity but that's not true.
Seems I'm getting weird Google results, I asked yesterday if silver holds heat longer, it said yes and today it said no 😂. Looks like aluminium is really the only alternative to copper but I don't particularly want to use it either.

It doesn't matter anyway because I really haven't noticed a big enough difference in how long any of the materials I've used hold heat for. When I use steel I still have to top up the heat 2 to 3 times puffing on it like a joint, sames goes for zirc, ruby and Boro. Out of them the Boro is a clear winner for me because of the taste and feel of the vapor.

So I'm just going to have to accept that I won't be able to dial it in the way I was hoping to, which was basically no reheating to finish the bowl by puffing on it like a joint. It's not a big deal because the visual indicator makes topping up the heat very easy

larfy,

BushRanger

Hit It & Quit It
@larfy which size of balls you're using? Might be, you should switch to 2.5 from 3mm, if that's correct.
What kind of heat source you use? Could be weak torch or not well leveled head in IH.
Airflow on cap too loose?
Sucking too hard?
Over moist herb?
You should be able to extract a bowl nicely without reheating. But takes some time to grasp, at least in my experience.

larfy

@larfy which size of balls you're using? Might be, you should switch to 2.5 from 3mm, if that's correct.
What kind of heat source you use? Could be weak torch or not well leveled head in IH.
Airflow on cap too loose?
Sucking too hard?
Over moist herb?
You should be able to extract a bowl nicely without reheating. But takes some time to grasp, at least in my experience.
All but the rubies I used were 2.5mm, the rubies are actually my 2nd favourite.

Mostly I'm using the wand at 530, sometimes a 3 flame jet lighter.

Aircap is open about a pin head.

I doubt I'm sucking too hard, I'm doing small mouth to lung puffs, I have a few then top up the heat when the indicator gets close to the 1st bar, and repeat until it tastes bad. The airflow is on the restricted side but still a little open.

Erb is on the dry side of perfect if that makes sense. I find the same with hash, I have to top up pretty much exactly the same as with herb.

Yeah I don't doubt it's possible to finish a bowl without reheating but I'm pretty sure that would ruin my throat and lungs 😂, maybe with a bong it would be fine. So yeah most likely it's just a result of my way of using it

Edit: just tried 550 and only needed to reheat once, I didn't get a 2nd click so I'm going to try a bit higher next time. I finished the bowl with just 1 reheat using Boro this time

Last edited:
larfy,

cybrguy

Putin is a War Criminal
Just as a data point I am using a Tempest head on a WPA and a FC MOD with water as my inside combination these days. I always do a half bowl. Since my lung surgery, I no longer try to get the biggest hit I possibly can, but I have no problem finishing the half bowl with 2 decent size hits without a reheat. If I'm in a smaller hit mood I can take four or five small hits without having to reheat, but I can't wait as long between them. These fully exhaust the load.

hazyy1

temperature settings 290? waiting till timeout, ignoring both clicks?

do you hear the second click after it times out or right before?
Hey Temperature setting is at 550F waiting til timeout, ignoring both clicks - Yes!

I hear the second click probably 2 -4 seconds after the 2nd click.

Before I take apart the top of the tempest @Brenyo - do you think possibly the VI wasn't installed correctly?

I'm starting to really dial in my tempest hits (50% airport - Helix open) with the wand but, just curious about the VI. It hasn't affected the performance or anything, I've just been wondering why it never goes past the 2nd marker.

**Note, I have not tried with a torch.

**Note 2 - I've even tried to set the adaptor so that the "top" line is pretty much lined up with the glass and nothing past the 2nd indicator.

Again, I can live with just it going to the 2nd indicator, not a deal breaker for me as I'm really starting to enjoy this thing.

Thanks!

hazyy1,

Brenyo

Manufacturer
Before I take apart the top of the tempest @Brenyo - do you think possibly the VI wasn't installed correctly?
Remove the indicator housing and pull up the spring to release it from between the screw and 2 posts.
The middle of the spring has to line up exactly with the part marked by the blue arrow and red line.

Brenyo,

hazyy1

Remove the indicator housing and pull up the spring to release it from between the screw and 2 posts.
The middle of the spring has to line up exactly with the part marked by the blue arrow and red line.

Thank you for the reply!

Just so I’m understanding. When I open up the indicator housing, I want it to look like picture 1. And it may look like what it shows in picture 2?

Sorry just want to make sure I understood correctly.

hazyy1,
Top Bottom