Discontinued The Grasshopper

Mr. Me2

Okay, I rolled the dice and ordered 2 new batteries. I did not see a place to add a note, so I also sent an email asking for the promised replacement batteries.

Shortly before the fire (in October 2019), I ordered a new hopper and 2 extra batteries. After the fire, I followed ghl instructions and safely disposed my batteries. So I have a new OG hopper and no batteries worth anything.

So here’s hoping I get at least 2, but hopefully 5 batteries. And the sooner the better!

luc59

p8fz.jpg
huiw.jpg

Hi,

I disassembled the screen in the body of my GH and here is what I found below.

According to you, the photos show the inside of a normal GH or a damaged GH (the 3 marks on the grid under the screen are normal?)

Thanks for your opinions.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Hi,

I disassembled the screen in the body of my GH and here is what I found below.

According to you, the photos show the inside of a normal GH or a damaged GH (the 3 marks on the grid under the screen are normal?)

Thanks for your opinions.
My recall is not perfect, but I believe the 3 are normal things, I think they are the mounting points of something to that plate -- like maybe the heater? but I'm guessing.
Compressed air while unit is warm may help to free up some of the draw and could maybe clean off the temp sensor, which could be your trouble spot, as I recall.

luc59

hopper labs advise not to blow into the body of GH.
So I guess when you talk about blowing compressed air it's from the outside of the GH into the air intake holes?

or can I try in the body also?

Last edited:
luc59,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
hopper labs advise not to blow into the body of GH.
So I guess when you talk about blowing compressed air it's from the outside of the GH into the air intake holes?

or can I try in the body also?
In 2019, I had this exchange with HL through a warranty request wherein I described "body not working":

(Me) May. 31, 2019, 1:16 pm
When clicked on, light is red briefly, then goes to blue. No heat develops. I believe the issue is in the body; When I put the back end on a different, working body, it functions normally. When I put a known-working back end on this hopper's body it gives the same light pattern described above and does not get warm. I'm concerned about turn-around time. [edit] Thank you very much for your attention to my concerns...

John(Hopper Labs)Jun. 1, 2019, 10:52 am
Hey ******, I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your Grasshopper and am happy to get this checked out and rectified for you. Before sending the device back for warranty service, please try cleaning off the temp sensor. To do so, please remove all the herbs from the device. Take a few draws off of your Hopper; this helps to dry out any debris that may have had accumulated on your temperature sensor. Then, use high-pressure air to blow into the herb chamber and LED holes. Your breath is not strong enough and will add moisture to the heating section of the device. We recommend using an air compressor or canned air from an office supply store. Please let us know if this action resolves your issue before we recommend that you send back your Hopper for service. Thank you, Hopper Labs"

-end-

I did the recommended cleaning but no change, so I still had to return the Grasshopper. They gave me priority because I had already had two others in their hands for months. They 'upgrade to the most recent components and got it back to me in about 30 days, very quick for HL at that time.

Mr. Me2

So...I’ll share my recent batteries experience.

On September 9th I ordered and paid for 2 new batteries. That day, I also emailed ghl and asked that they include 3 replacement batteries I bought shortly before the fire. They replied to my email and said they would.

Today the package arrived! Not bad turnaround time, huh? And it included 5 batteries! I was happily surprised.

The batteries were packaged in a 2 pack and separate 3 pack. As I was unpacking, I inspected each battery to see if was a GHB3 battery. To my surprise, 2 batteries are GHB2 and 3 batteries are GHB3.

What was more surprising was that the batteries were mixed so the 2 pack had one of each and the 3 pack had 2 GHB3 and 1 GHB2.

Time will tell if there’s a difference in performance. I’m charging them now and looking forward to a test drive. Today will be my first use of my hopper with (hopefully) a strong battery since November.

I also want to give a shoutout and thank you to @VGOODIEZ . I tried tracking the status of this order on the ghl website. My recent order was listed and said “in progress”. When it didn’t change, I reached out to @VGOODIEZ for help and to check the status. After I bugged him, I clicked on the link to my order and saw a link for tracking. The tracking link worked and gave me an accurate status of my shipping. So to all, take that extra step to track your package.

The really good news is that ghl honored their promise to replace at risk batteries. So props to them too!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@Mr. Me2 that's a good-news story!
and, as we "know" they're all 3's on the inside... ;)
It's good to hear they are in some sort of 'pack'. In the past I've had batteries arrive from HL as 2 loose batteries in a small bubble-type envelope.

Mr. Me2

Too late to edit my last post, but here’s a follow up:

After charging the GHB3’s I took it for a test ride. My only surprise was lightly flickering blue lights starting with the 1st pull. I expected it to stay solid blue at the start.

But plenty of power and vapor. So I’m VERY happy to be back in business with my hopper. Let’s see if I can keep track of the number of pulls before the battery needs a recharge. No promises...

At some point I’ll have to compare my old hopper (2015) to my new one with these new batteries.

@vapviking , I think we got similar packaging. In my outer envelope were 2 small bubble wrap envelopes, the width of a battery. So the batteries stacked nicely inside and were tightly wrapped shut in each bubble wrap envelope.

Simple as that and I have no complaints about the packaging.

Last edited:

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
Just an update on the replacement batteries you may be seeking:

As a reminder, here is the policy on battery replacement and the eligible period for the defective batteries where customers were instructed to dispose of them.

Batteries are covered for 2 weeks from when they are shipped out. After that they are not covered for any reason. The only batteries that will be replaced where shipped in Sept, Oct, Nov of 2019 and have BOTH (GHB2 and Made in China on the label). There are over 120k batteries with GHB2 that do not have "Made in china" on the label. These are not covered and do not have any known issues.

Now it's no secret that batteries have been an issue and it was not possible for people to get them but they are available now. Some of them have been sent out automatically but some of you may still be waiting. If you are waiting go ahead and contact them at support@thehopper.io and Trevor will take care of you. If you want to request extra batteries or other items as well it might be good to include that in your initial communication. I think I speak for Hopper when I say thank you all for your patience on this.

@VGOODIEZ Do you know if they've got through the GHB3 batteries mislabeled as GHB2? I'm owed a replacement for a fire battery but have been wanting to request mine until all batteries shipped have the correct label.

kid_amnesiac,

Mr. Me2

Just thought I’d share that I’m back in love with my gh. The ghb3 batteries make a huge difference. I’m using one that I got around November.

I have yet to try my og hopper from 2015 with the new batteries but am looking forward to seeing how it performs. I thought it was getting weaker which is why I got a 2nd (not knowing the io was around the corner). It will be interesting to see if it was just the batteries.

No regrets. The new one is working great!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Just thought I’d share that I’m back in love with my gh. The ghb3 batteries make a huge difference. I’m using one that I got around November.

I have yet to try my og hopper from 2015 with the new batteries but am looking forward to seeing how it performs. I thought it was getting weaker which is why I got a 2nd (not knowing the io was around the corner). It will be interesting to see if it was just the batteries.

No regrets. The new one is working great!
The later og's apparently had some of the io tech built into them. I noticed much faster heat up, for one thing.
The b3's are also a bit of a step up, so I think you're seeing a combination of these.

fogbank

The later og's apparently had some of the io tech built into them. I noticed much faster heat up, for one thing.
The b3's are also a bit of a step up, so I think you're seeing a combination of these.
Yesterday I dumped the ABV from two OG Hoppers and two IO hoppers. The OG Hoppers are from 2019. I considered all four bowls as completely extracted.

The ABV from both OG Hoppers was darker on the whole, with more variation in color. More black spots mixed with dark brown material.
The ABV from both IO Hoppers was a little lighter, but was more evenly colored. Mostly dark brown material with little or no black spots.

This correlates to my experience with the two types of Hopper. The OG Hoppers seem to extract more quickly, with burnt popcorn flavor coming by about the 3rd or 4th draw. I usually take two more draws after that, for a total of 6 draws per bowl.

The IO Hoppers seem to extract more evenly, with the burnt popcorn flavor not coming until the 5th or 6th draw. The IO will often produce bigger clouds on the 5th and 6th draws than the OG. The OG seems to reach full extraction by the fourth draw.

I like the IO fine, but it doesn't extract as quickly.

Also my older OG units (from 2016 or 2017) didn't extract nearly as quickly as my 2019 OG units, so there may indeed be some IO tech built into the 2019 OG Hoppers. And if the later OG models were calibrated to OG temperatures, with IO components, it would explain why the newer OG units extract so quickly.

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
Okay, I rolled the dice and ordered 2 new batteries. I did not see a place to add a note, so I also sent an email asking for the promised replacement batteries.

Shortly before the fire (in October 2019), I ordered a new hopper and 2 extra batteries. After the fire, I followed ghl instructions and safely disposed my batteries. So I have a new OG hopper and no batteries worth anything.

So here’s hoping I get at least 2, but hopefully 5 batteries. And the sooner the better!
Worth the wait.

Vape Master,
Reactions: Mr. Me2

Tiny88

Deluxe420
@VegNVape

I have been following the conversations for Hopper IO, but there doesn't seem like a lot of company presence in the Hopper OG thread. I have had an RMA in since Nov 2019. Just wondering if you can give any insight to the progress of the RMA lag time.

The last time I heard is that RMAs have been pushed back due to parts sourcing issues.

Thanks

Tiny88

Last edited:
Tiny88,
Reactions: Vitolo

JCat

Accessory Maker
@VegNVape

I have been following the conversations for Hopper IO, but there doesn't seem like a lot of company presence in the Hopper OG thread. I have had an RMA in since Nov 2019. Just wondering if you can give any insight to the progress of the RMA lag time.

The last time I heard is that RMAs have been pushed back due to parts sourcing issues.

Thanks

Tiny88
Last I heard, doesn't look like OG's are going to get serviced until at least some time in 2021, but I could be wrong.

luc59

In a few weeks I happened to burn several times in my 2 GH OGs (with different batteries and at different temperatures therefore without consistency), I thought it was due to the new GHB3 but I think I found the problem that came from the screen in the GH, indeed it seems that I had put it in the wrong way.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
@VegNVape

Thanks

Tiny88
There is almost zero HL presence here at FC, except for @VGOODIEZ who has taken on some amount of 'communications services' and may be able to help get you at least some vague status report on your rma.
Communications with HL is now through support@thehopper.io and the old support email is not in use.

There's is a chance your device was lost to the fire that happened Nov. '19 and that story could become 'interesting' as a sub-plot.

Some of us feel that HL has permanently (no question that it is at least 'temporarily') abandoned warranty service on og Grasshoppers in favor of selling io's (and batteries!). They simply can not afford to do both and still "surive". They have been offering trade-in value on warrantied og's, toward purchase of an io, which is admirable.

MonkeyTime

There is almost zero HL presence here at FC, except for @VGOODIEZ who has taken on some amount of 'communications services' and may be able to help get you at least some vague status report on your rma.
Communications with HL is now through support@thehopper.io and the old support email is not in use.

There's is a chance your device was lost to the fire that happened Nov. '19 and that story could become 'interesting' as a sub-plot.

Some of us feel that HL has permanently (no question that it is at least 'temporarily') abandoned warranty service on og Grasshoppers in favor of selling io's (and batteries!). They simply can not afford to do both and still "surive". They have been offering trade-in value on warrantied og's, toward purchase of an io, which is admirable.
It seems their now policy is the OG unit and charger cord. They insist that's the only deal they've offered anyone lol. Go figure.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Email from HL this morning (been waiting/hoping for this!);

It has been a bumpy 2020 for everyone but the Hopper io has been shipping for the last 5 months and the results have been amazing. A smooth rollout has put thousands of Hopper io's into early supporter's hands and they are loving it. We designed io with the most power-dense convection heater ever made, improved battery life, and top-notch reliability. We hope the Hopper is helping everyone through this year and truly appreciate the support you showed us. To show our appreciation we will be offering accessory discounts every day for the next 7 days. Follow us on Instagram (hopper_io) for daily updates.

Last edited:
Top Bottom