Discontinued The Grasshopper

nomadicsoul34

From the time of the first shipped Hoppers it has been dis-advantageous to be a non-US buyer. Exceptions are those with 1. Great patience for both long waits and being fed a line of B.S. and; 2. Large enough budget to buy more than one, i.e., have a backup unit while repairs are needed. Track record shows that repairs will be needed, so you'll need shipping costs in the budget, too!

It pains me to give such feedback, even while I can attest to having the patience and some real love for the product and the people who make it. It helps me that in US return shipping is not expensive.

Current shipping rate is very, very slow, so be prepared to have your tolerance (see #2, above) tested right out of the gate.
Hopes are now hung on the recently revised parts and processes, which may make the Hopper more reliable. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty...

Cheers . I wont bother. Sounds like a unrealiable product and poor after sales service. I'd only have myself to blame after reading this thread.

snaffle

Really tempted by one of these as they seem perfect for a micro doser like me.. Great 420 sale on atm. However scanning these pages it looks like they break down often and as a UK resident it would annoy the hell out of me to keep sending it back for repair. Best to stay away and stick to my Vapcap?

I'd buy from a UK shop like Vapefiend if you're from the UK, that way they will deal with any warranty / repairs issues that come up. You may not be able to find it so cheap, though. But saying that, if you end up having to pay customs import charges, that could kill most savings anyway.

I have a vapcap and a grasshopper, and the grasshopper is excellent as a micro doser. That said, any vapcap is too. I like my grasshopper over the vapcap for stealth (particularly the quietness compared to a jet lighter), and bigger hits through glass, on a good day, as the heater keeps putting out heat, unlike the vapcap oven which will gradually cool down. Personally if I was just doing microdosing I'd save some money and stick with the vapcap.

MonkeyTime

From the time of the first shipped Hoppers it has been dis-advantageous to be a non-US buyer. Exceptions are those with 1. Great patience for both long waits and being fed a line of B.S. and; 2. Large enough budget to buy more than one, i.e., have a backup unit while repairs are needed. Track record shows that repairs will be needed, so you'll need shipping costs in the budget, too!

It pains me to give such feedback, even while I can attest to having the patience and some real love for the product and the people who make it. It helps me that in US return shipping is not expensive.

Current shipping rate is very, very slow, so be prepared to have your tolerance (see #2, above) tested right out of the gate.
Hopes are now hung on the recently revised parts and processes, which may make the Hopper more reliable. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty...
I'm not sure we can even say they have a shipping "rate" yet can we?

MikeG7265

Also I think Olivia got canned. Trevor replied to my warranty request this time and it didn't take a month.

Same here. Put in a warranty request on Sunday night, and got a response yesterday to send it in. And the PayPal claim I filed, they refunded my money for the Electric Blue in like 2 hours.

Maybe they’re starting to feel the effects of the refunds and unhappy customers.

Hammahead

I'd buy from a UK shop like Vapefiend if you're from the UK, that way they will deal with any warranty / repairs issues that come up.

I bought one from a german retailer a while ago and when it broke, all they could do was send the Hopper to Colorado at their expense. That would have added a lot of time and saved me less than ten Euros, so I sent it straight to Hopper Labs. There doesn't seem to be a real way to repair them outside Hopper Labs, that whole thing is proprietary through and through. Unless that english shop is a) authorized and b) equipped to do minor repairs, great. I don't think there is one though. Now wouldn't that be a unique sales proposal?

snaffle

I bought one from a german retailer a while ago and when it broke, all they could do was send the Hopper to Colorado at their expense. That would have added a lot of time and saved me less than ten Euros, so I sent it straight to Hopper Labs. There doesn't seem to be a real way to repair them outside Hopper Labs, that whole thing is proprietary through and through. Unless that english shop is a) authorized and b) equipped to do minor repairs, great. I don't think there is one though. Now wouldn't that be a unique sales proposal?

Vapefiend is indeed authorized and equipped to do minor repairs. I bought my GH from there, and they fixed it the one time it broke. That said, I have an issue with frontend threading and when I got in touch with them about it a few months ago, they said that they didn't have any stock to do repairs, so I'd have to send it to Colorado. Naturally I haven't done that, as it still works well enough for now, and is certainly better than no Hopper. But presumably once HL have caught up with the backlog Vapefiend will be able to do repairs again.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Vapefiend is indeed authorized and equipped to do minor repairs. I bought my GH from there, and they fixed it the one time it broke. That said, I have an issue with frontend threading and when I got in touch with them about it a few months ago, they said that they didn't have any stock to do repairs, so I'd have to send it to Colorado. Naturally I haven't done that, as it still works well enough for now, and is certainly better than no Hopper. But presumably once HL have caught up with the backlog Vapefiend will be able to do repairs again.
Hopefully the threading issue is in the front end and not the body threads. If so, you might consider purchasing a PFE if you don't already have one. They work really well and because of different internal construction they have far less issue with keeping clean inside, where you can't readily see that residue just lingers in there.

Baron23

Just posted to my RMA on Hopper's site:

Come on, Hopper Labs. We are now up to 7 weeks with my RMA GH being in your hands and no update on when to expect it back...if ever.

I have to say, guys, that you are getting a LOT of actually well deserved bad press for continuing to run sales for new units when you have not yet been able to clear your new GH and RMA backlog (which is ridiculously long) and all the while having little to no communications with your customers on the status of their orders/RMA.

You should at least be able to provide me with an estimated return date based on your knowledge of your current RMA clearance and shipping rates. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

You have a great device when it works but Hopper as a company has generated an awful reputation for its business practices for just these reasons.

Any word you can give me...perhaps even a reply telling me to go to hell? Something?​

beyond6strings

Just another traveller in the Cannaverse

Come on, Hopper Labs. We are now up to 7 weeks with my RMA GH being in your hands and no update on when to expect it back...if ever.

I have to say, guys, that you are getting a LOT of actually well deserved bad press for continuing to run sales for new units when you have not yet been able to clear your new GH and RMA backlog (which is ridiculously long) and all the while having little to no communications with your customers on the status of their orders/RMA.

You should at least be able to provide me with an estimated return date based on your knowledge of your current RMA clearance and shipping rates. I really don't think that's too much to ask.

You have a great device when it works but Hopper as a company has generated an awful reputation for its business practices for just these reasons.

Any word you can give me...perhaps even a reply telling me to go to hell? Something?​

I would hope, given your stature in the community that they would respond to you. Most of HL's problems appear to be self-inflicted.

barleecat

Come on, Hopper Labs. We are now up to 7 weeks with my RMA GH being in your hands and no update on when to expect it back...if ever

They’ve had mine for 21 weeks now....last response I had was from Caroline December 28th :hmm:

Well said :tup:

MikeG7265

What a well thought out and professional letter!!

To go with what you said in your letter, I’ve been doing some research online. If you Google Hopper Labs or whatever, they have a 1 star rating on Google.

And even worse they have an F rating with the BBB. If you go to BBB, it’s funny, they aren’t listed as Hopper Labs like they have us address returns. You have to search for Grasshopper Labs to look at their rating and complaints.

You know they can see those things, I just believe they don’t give a shit!!

kushkush

happy camper....
I have to laugh at myself for thinking that Hopper Labs would ever get their act together as I was awaiting the arrival of my one and only Grasshopper for one FULL year. That was a grueling experience, just disappointment after disappointment for a very long time. I honestly wished that I’d never heard of the ‘Grasshopper’. I will say that the only positive was that Carolyn was always kind, never unkind to me as I wrote to her periodically to ask what was wrong and why I wasn’t receiving my order.

I have to agree with @MikeG7265 that in the end, Hopper Labs just doesn’t care. Unless it’s impossible for the GH to be made to work correctly, then there is no excuse whatsoever for “Hopper Labs” (the grossly incompetent) to stay in business

:2c:

beyond6strings

Hopper Labs reminds me of a guitar case company that ended up putting itself out-of-business due to poor customer service.

It can't be easy to rebound from this kind of a BBB rating. Even if it is only 2 reviews and 12 complaints. It's 100% bad news.

kXpqcNQ.png

beyond6strings

That’s very kind of you to say but I have no stature. I’m just on of the inmates here. LOL

You're more than that. As someone who lurked for months before I joined FC last fall I would say you are very much an influencer. You mod a forum, speak with experience, give thoughtful reviews and feedback, and you know the difference between a fact and an opinion. And having watched this particular thread I also know you've been really patient too.

°k

The sound of vapor
Oh boy... I just sent mine because of red and blue flickering lights. I had no clue people had been waiting a year to get their replacement GH.

Is that the case for everybody or do some get repaired relatively quickly?

kushkush

happy camper....
Oh boy... I just sent mine because of red and blue flickering lights. I had no clue people had been waiting a year to get their replacement GH.

If you are referring to my comment above, it took one year to recieve my GH from the day I ordered it. I haven’t had it in for repair because I only used it about 4 or 5 times as the mouthpiece got too hot even with the silicone cover. I haven’t used it since.

Good luck to you. Just hope you get it back before they go belly-up...if that should happen.

:2c:

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeG7265

I just sent one back for the same reason. They are behind on warranty work right now because they stopped for a couple of months to move some processes in house. But they are repairing and sending some back, so hopefully it won’t be that bad.

Did I really just say that? :leaf:

Just Justin

damn, this thread has gotten huge!

Here is a project of mine that I ve been working on, while I wait for my External GH Charger and SS Case: I showed these on vapelife but wanted to share them here to see if any one had ideas or anything...I also need some help on the second one.

one I made because I wanted to cool the vapor and also make the on/off button right side up so its easier to use. The GH is great but the vapor is too hot for an all day, everyday vape, so I made this to extend the vapor path and it does a really good job, providing super cool vapor.
dsc0088-8.jpg

dsc0081-7.jpg

dsc0089-7.jpg

dsc0095-7.jpg
dsc0098-8.jpg

The other version I need some help...I made a custom mouthpiece that pulls off like the first and is snuggly held down by a GH charger magnet that I ripped out and put into the mouthpiece/cap and magnetically holds on the on/off that I took off the GH and placed next to it. I started this project because I wanted to add a "heat" button for the GH, so I could turn the vape on, select my temp with the deial and use a separate switch held down for the heat but I can't get it to work...I think my wires are too small Gauge or too long or my switch is the wrong voltage...any ideas why this won't work? I can get it to light breiefly but the heater won't stay on with the switch engaged....Hope you like these creations and I hope y'all can help with my switch problem!
dsc0106-8.jpg
dsc0107-8.jpg
dsc0108-8.jpg
dsc0110-9.jpg

Top Bottom