• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

JoeMama

4067697a8645874300205965d663bf88.png

My grasshopper almost exploded.

So, seems like I'm going to submite my fourth warranty request or whatever the fuck that means. I just switched batteries with my unit turned off and instantly I started to smell burned electronics in my room. My grasshopper got REALLY hot, like I couldn't even touch it, but I tried my best to unscrew the unit and remove the battery. My fingertips are hurting at the moment. The battery was melting and the top piece just got fucked as you can see in the picture. My room is still stinking like burned electronics btw. Honestly I'd just like a refund at this point (I don't know if that's possible, since I've already registered for the three previous warranties)
@lovecrush

That is some scary stuff!

They should at the very LEAST refund you.

"Your Hopper tested to operate in the acceptable heat range. Unit was retested multiple times with a nearly drained battery but was unable to recreate the excessively hot Back End. Nothing was replaced on your device. I apologize that I was not able to replace your Back End, but the heat was well within the acceptable range- Caroline"

In all seriousness, that is pretty disturbing.. glad nothing catastrophic happened. I've been down this exact road with my first back end, burned fingers and all- thankfully not to the melting point. I was plenty frustrated, can't imagine the level you're at

I don't know how I missed this, but first of all, @lovecrush , I'm glad nothing worse happened.

This issue is now no longer a simple warranty... this isn't something they should take lightly, and I hope you will present it to them as anything but routine. This should keep them up at night, but they need to know about it in a serious way (are ya listening, GH? :wave:).

Oooo, yeah, sorry - jumped in at the wrong end of the conversation, hahaha

:rockon: Hey, when you use a vaporizer daily, you start to develop some interesting techniques

I have the charger about 8 feet away from my herbs; when I drain a battery I place it in a tray next to the charger until there are 4 batteries ready to charge.

I get at at least about 50 feet of extra walking in each day. And the more I use the hopper, the more walking I have to do.

Thank you, thankyouverymuch. :razz::rofl:

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Actually, you only need to protect one side of the battery to prevent completing the circuit and thereby preventing any sort of incidents from happening.

It should be noted however I made those sleeves 50% the length of the battery, so if you order two you can encapsulate both ends of the battery for maximum protection.

Alternatively, I also sell these caps - http://delta3dstudios.com/grasshopper-battery-caps-pair/

What I do is use one cap on each battery. I put it on the (+) side to indicate full charge. And when I remove a battery from my hopper, I put the cap on the (-) side to indicate the battery is drained. So far it's helped me rotate all 4 batteries equally through my hopper and all 4 seem to be in equally decent shape (never drained completely to flashing red, always charged on a Nitecore D2)

That's a genius idea about using the cap placement to mark whether they've been used or not.

I travel without extra batteries most of the time, sometimes with one extra, and occasionally with four. When traveling with one extra I use two of your caps, to protect the wrapping on both sides. When traveling with four I use a case for 18650s, with two of your caps on each battery so they don't jiggle around and make noise when I walk. I always use the battery up front and rotate the other batteries forward. Used batteries get placed the opposite way so the text is upside down.

TAmB4wJ.jpg

TDBBTcg.jpg

Well now I don't know what to do. I guess I will ask GH to confirm whether the cells with torn plastic are safe to use as I'll be conversing with them anyway about my death lights.

When I got my first hopper, after using each of my two batteries once, I noticed one was torn. I'm pretty sure it arrived that way. When I contacted HL they didn't seem to care much or offer to replace it. I did ask if it was safe to use and Caroline said not to use any batteries with torn wrappers, which I expected.

tubasco

Has anyone here had a Grasshopper last, out of the box, with zero repair issues for any good length of time?
Three months?
Four months?
Six?
Buehler?

I really do like these Hoppers. Got a warranty Body back today, I have two hopping Hoppers and life is good.
On the flip side, of four new Hoppers received in early August, all four have failed at least once and one has had a second malfunction.
Response from service has been very, very good.

One for the Travelogue;
On the beach at Robt. Moses State Park (Atlantic Ocean) with my honey in our beach chairs, umbrella, etc., not too many folks there after Labor Day so we were pretty comfortable with hopping. I was taking a nice long draw and happened to look over my shoulder as the state police SUV rode down the beach about 30 yards behind us...
Glad I didn't bring the bubbler!
Got mine mid January, used nearly daily. Travelled overseas with it and to several states. I rotate 4 batteries and only use a nitecore D4 to charge.

No warranty repairs. I use fine tipped manicure swabs to clean the threads. Just started deoxit pen too. And now I'd like to use the electrical conductor grease people are talking about. When I keep it really clean I have almost no heat at the backend.

I do need to adjust the backend sometimes after turning it on to make sure it clicks loudly. I firmly believe that the louderit ticks, the more efficient the thing is working, because I reach blue quicker when it's louder and have no heat at the back end.

MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger

Even with my best part-of a-thousand day accumulative tolerance to vapour :party:
I still get surprised at how high I get after a F.O.D. (First of the Day) hopper hit. It's honestly pretty debilitating, in the best way haha. I tried shredding a chamber at T5 but it choked me out :science:
I've smoked a few times recently, with tobacco, and whilst the effect is definitely different, it seems about as strong either way. It's all about the density of application and the hopper kills it in that department.
This thing will tear newbie eyes up so fast, always get a laugh but I know mine are just as bad :lol:
Obviously with really good bud it works better, but it usually performs better than I expect with random illicit street weed too. I just hope my batteries don't explode!

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I'd be even more hesitant to use conductive grease anywhere near circuitry now that there have been two recent battery shorts resulting in catastrophic failure !

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/54b7tc/my_battery_started_burning_as_well/

No word on if either user had done so, but I'm waiting to find out. Both people were at least aware of the recommendation so I think it's worth red flagging it right now
I doubt it will happen (it takes time to suss these things out), but immediate response from GHL would be greatly appreciated since I'm slated to get my hopper pretty soon. I wonder if there's any connection between this sudden rash of catastrophic battery failures and people starting to use various cleaning and conduction improvement products (besides iso) on the interior of their hoppers. I honestly have no idea but if it's not that then, what? GHL batteries that reach the end of their life go out with a Viking funeral complete with pyre?

If I was first considering ordering a hopper now I would walk away after reading this stuff. As it is, having been anxiously waiting for mine since January '16, I'm really torn. I know my OCD worrying tendencies will not be well-served by wondering if my hopper is going to go nova each time I change a battery or fire it up, but I have been jonesing for this thing for soooo long.

Baron23

Finicity sealing can be overlooked and cause poor results. Need for Stirring irritates some. Cost irritates some. CS can be a challenge.
Need of app for optimum performance.
I'd be even more hesitant to use conductive grease anywhere near circuitry now that there have been two recent battery shorts resulting in catastrophic failure !

https://www.reddit.com/r/GrassHopperVape/comments/54b7tc/my_battery_started_burning_as_well/

No word on if either user had done so, but I'm waiting to find out. Both people were at least aware of the recommendation so I think it's worth red flagging it right now
Hi Molten - if used correctly, conductive grease should only be extremely thinly applied to the threads between the back end and the main body. I don't see this as a threat to the proper conductivity path but I have no first hand info...my GH has been working and with a cool back end so I haven't had to try to overcome this issue. Hopper really should come out with some solid guidance on how to maintain proper conductivity through out the units life as all units will (I believe) eventually have fine metal filings and gunk in the threads.

Kasish

I doubt it will happen (it takes time to suss these things out), but immediate response from GHL would be greatly appreciated since I'm slated to get my hopper pretty soon. I wonder if there's any connection between this sudden rash of catastrophic battery failures and people starting to use various cleaning and conduction improvement products (besides iso) on the interior of their hoppers. I honestly have no idea but if it's not that then, what? GHL batteries that reach the end of their life go out with a Viking funeral complete with pyre?

If I was first considering ordering a hopper now I would walk away after reading this stuff. As it is, having been anxiously waiting for mine since January '16, I'm really torn. I know my OCD worrying tendencies will not be well-served by wondering if my hopper is going to go nova each time I change a battery or fire it up, but I have been jonesing for this thing for soooo long.
Ive forsaken my GH when i found out the battery chamber is not isolated from the air path, tried using it a couple times after and it got burning hot... If it was possible id ask for a refund this thing is not a finished product. (in my opinion)

jabba

Ive forsaken my GH when i found out the battery chamber is not isolated from the air path, tried using it a couple times after and it got burning hot... If it was possible id ask for a refund this thing is not a finished product. (in my opinion)

Well it is your lucky day! Given the plethora of prospective buyers and Hopper Labs inability to produce fast enough to keep up with demand, surely you should be able to find someone willing to take your awful, coal burning, lithium ion leaking, lead leeching Grasshopper off your hands :)This was sarcasm.

I would be SO PISSED if i lost my Hopper(s)....and I would immediately go buy again. For me...there is no replacement for this device. Everyone can read the well documented pros and cons of the Grasshopper and with more than sufficient information can easily decide for themselves. The GH will not please everyone.

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
when i found out the battery chamber is not isolated from the air path
I'm sorry, I must be out of the loop. Can you point me to your source for this claim?

As far as I can see, air flows in the path of least resistance. Which is from the air intake holes down into the heat exchanger and to the oven.

Really curious to know when/where it was established the battery chamber is not isolated from the airpath.

Kasish

I'm sorry, I must be out of the loop. Can you point me to your source for this claim?

As far as I can see, air flows in the path of least resistance. Which is from the air intake holes down into the heat exchanger and to the oven.

Really curious to know when/where it was established the battery chamber is not isolated from the airpath.
I closed the air intake path, air still flows if u draw with or without the back end screwed on u can check for urself. If im wrong do tell cuz ill send my unit in if so.

jabba, sarcasm aside i cannot sell something in this condition to anyone and im too lazy to go through their warranty procedure. So basically its sitting here collection dust.

Last edited:

MoltenTiger

Hi Molten - if used correctly, conductive grease should only be extremely thinly applied to the threads between the back end and the main body. I don't see this as a threat to the proper conductivity path but I have no first hand info...my GH has been working and with a cool back end so I haven't had to try to overcome this issue. Hopper really should come out with some solid guidance on how to maintain proper conductivity through out the units life as all units will (I believe) eventually have fine metal filings and gunk in the threads.
Yeah, I imagine if it's used correctly it poses minimum risk. The reality is if it's widely recommended then there's good possibility of rash application and spillage occurring. Any instance of this will probably make its way online. That's not to say it is indeed the culprit with these two cases, but if it wasn't a grease, it must have been something (and not necessarily user error).
I have never used any conductive greasing agent with the hopper, nor felt the need to. I have done similar cleaning with strong alcohol and could report similar performance improvement, so I wouldn't be so sure it's an entirely worthwhile partial risk to use anything more complex.
Especially as the battery chamber is not sealed (otherwise it would be a pipe bomb). So there will be minuscule exposure to anything applied to the back end threads.
However it will be extremely minimal, it's hard to say as the air intake beyond the external shell can't be seen, it will happen though and it's an exposure easily avoided. Volatile cleaning agents known to leave residue are just something I will always avoid with the hopper, if I have a serious corrosion issue I will file warranty.
tbh I would just fix it, I realise you can do things safely and if I felt it necessary I wouldn't hesitate, but case in point be careful everyone!

Last edited:

AJS

Calm Consistency
Brought my GH to my favorite place in the state. Who said Florida isn't beautiful? This is walking distance from my house, so thankful.

Nothing like vaping and reading here!

My GH has been turning off during heatup more and more. We'll see how it goes! She's still chuggin tho!

DPJjB3U.jpg
0n86hMj.jpg
LU4eqP9.jpg

Delta3DStudios

Accessory Maker
Brought my GH to my favorite place in the state. Who said Florida isn't beautiful? This is walking distance from my house, so thankful.

Nothing like vaping and reading here!

My GH has been turning off during heatup more and more. We'll see how it goes! She's still chuggin tho!

DPJjB3U.jpg
0n86hMj.jpg
LU4eqP9.jpg

Dude, my best friend got married right there a few months ago! I love those gardens, lmao :lol:

JoeMama

Good day, all....

I've gone to reddit to look for other catastrophic battery issues... a couple, certainly...

I wonder if there's any connection between this sudden rash of catastrophic battery failures and people starting to use various cleaning and conduction improvement products (besides iso) on the interior of their hoppers. I honestly have no idea but if it's not that then, what? GHL batteries that reach the end of their life go out with a Viking funeral complete with pyre?

I tend to disagree about that, BUT sure, if someone were to be really sloppy and get conductive shit inside the body, sure, it's possible. But I'm really doubting that @lovecrush is doing anything like that; point being that if there is ONE instance of a truly clean hopper having this happen, then the connection between cleaning and this kind of catastrophic battery failure isn't likely.

More importantly, I hesitate to give GH any excuse to pin it on user-error.

Yeah, I imagine if it's used correctly it poses minimum risk. The reality is if it's widely recommended then there's good possibility of rash application and spillage occurring. Any instance of this will probably make its way online. That's not to say it is indeed the culprit with these two cases, but if it wasn't a grease, it must have been something (and not necessarily user error).
I have never used any conductive greasing agent with the hopper, nor felt the need to. I have done similar cleaning with strong alcohol and could report similar performance improvement, so I wouldn't be so sure it's an entirely worthwhile partial risk to use anything more complex.
Especially as the battery chamber is not sealed (otherwise it would be a pipe bomb). So there will be minuscule exposure to anything applied to the back end threads.
However it will be extremely minimal, it's hard to say as the air intake beyond the external shell can't be seen, it will happen though and it's an exposure easily avoided. Volatile cleaning agents known to leave residue are just something I will always avoid with the hopper, if I have a serious corrosion issue I will file warranty.

Grease is baad, m'kay? It attracts particulate matter. Even the tiniest specs of debris will fuck up those threads over time. Keep Hopper clean, use ISO and detoxit, and you're good for a week of fairly heavy use.

And as I said above, since GH is so fuckin quiet about instructing users how to truly take care of the hopper (like why the hell not mention oxidation and thread cleaning? WTF, man), they just give me the vibe that if you do one thing that isn't what they "recommend", they'll throw you to the dogs.

Someone on Reddit asked if anyone wants to do a class-action suit against GH (myriad reasons), and thankfully all responses are nay. I want this company to succeed. Though they need to sit the fuck up and take notice and deal with this out in the open.

Because thanks to OP's like @lovecrush , it will be in the open whether they like it or not.

I closed the air intake path, air still flows if u draw with or without the back end screwed on u can check for urself. If im wrong do tell cuz ill send my unit in if so.

jabba, sarcasm aside i cannot sell something in this condition to anyone and im too lazy to go through their warranty procedure. So basically its sitting here collection dust.

No way. There is no way you will get a molecule of air from the battery compartment unless you suck that thing really hard while completely clogging the air intake holes. Physics.
... and anyone that would somehow have clogged up all the holes, and then proceed to turn blue in the face sucking air from the body... well, c'mon! :shrug:

Kasish

Good day, all....

I've gone to reddit to look for other catastrophic battery issues... a couple, certainly...

I tend to disagree about that, BUT sure, if someone were to be really sloppy and get conductive shit inside the body, sure, it's possible. But I'm really doubting that @lovecrush is doing anything like that; point being that if there is ONE instance of a truly clean hopper having this happen, then the connection between cleaning and this kind of catastrophic battery failure isn't likely.

More importantly, I hesitate to give GH any excuse to pin it on user-error.

Grease is baad, m'kay? It attracts particulate matter. Even the tiniest specs of debris will fuck up those threads over time. Keep Hopper clean, use ISO and detoxit, and you're good for a week of fairly heavy use.

And as I said above, since GH is so fuckin quiet about instructing users how to truly take care of the hopper (like why the hell not mention oxidation and thread cleaning? WTF, man), they just give me the vibe that if you do one thing that isn't what they "recommend", they'll throw you to the dogs.

Someone on Reddit asked if anyone wants to do a class-action suit against GH (myriad reasons), and thankfully all responses are nay. I want this company to succeed. Though they need to sit the fuck up and take notice and deal with this out in the open.

Because thanks to OP's like @lovecrush , it will be in the open whether they like it or not.

No way. There is no way you will get a molecule of air from the battery compartment unless you suck that thing really hard while completely clogging the air intake holes. Physics.
... and anyone that would somehow have clogged up all the holes, and then proceed to turn blue in the face sucking air from the body... well, c'mon! :shrug:
I have no reason to argue with u guys ur health is ur own. :-)

the there add on the gh are not the main conductive path the end of the tube of the body contacts with the back end so your contact area is the wall thicness of the body tubing around the circumference of the tube and the point that it meets on the back end I personally think the threads are not the main conductive path

also if you suck on the battery side of the body with no battery you can draw air so the electronics and battery vent to the area which air will be drawn into whilst vaping try it

MoltenTiger

I've been doing a bit of reading on titanium threads, turns out they are renowned for galling (wear caused by adhesion between sliding surfaces) which is the cause of dark dust build up. Apparently no lube will prevent this due to the nature of the material and the forces required. It's not promoted as good body material with flashlight users, apart from its durability and mass. Apparently blu-tac works well to clean out the dust and doing this often should extend the life of the threads.

BTW I absolutely think there is very likely chance of absorbing molecules placed anywhere near the hopper, whether or not it's worth worrying about molecules is dependant on what they are. Avoiding nasty ones is worth considering and is a major part of why we bother to vaporize.

Looking at the MSDS for DeoxIT, it seems fairly safe. It's mainly petroleum naphtha, an intermediate hydrocarbon derived from the refining of crude oil. It has a permissible exposure limit of 100ppm and at levels of 1100ppm it is immediately dangerous to life and health. It's bioaccumulative potential is unknown, and it is assumed to contain chemicals causing cancer or reproductive toxicity. Whilst you're unlikely to have any real issues with its use on the hopper, I still can't see it as a necessary risk

Last edited:

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

I try not to be judgmental, but a class action lawsuit would be the stupidest option. Not just because it would endanger GHL as they struggle out of their formative stage.

The instant a suit is filed, GHL can NEVER admit there is anything wrong with the device because that would be evidence used against them. The only hope there is of getting them to talk to us more (or at all) is if we try to work with them. If you decide all you want is revenge for their actions (or lack thereof) sue away, but then you can kiss any hope of seeing a hopper with these issues resolved goodbye. :2c:

Mangos

Hey guys,

My grasshopper has been taking up twenty seconds to heat up lately, when it does heat up it has been combusting.

I will be sending it in to Vapefiend for repair. Got four different batteries each with the same results. Material does not combust in any other vapes on high temps.

I've had it since the end of Febuary , was lucky enough to be on of the first few to get it on release day.
Usually used it on temp 5 through glass. I use a medium grind and don't overfill .

Sad to see it go. There was more I needed to say- but my Evo and my stupidity combined have made me forget .

Top Bottom