Discontinued The Grasshopper

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
combu.jpg
Not good at all. Mine doesn't 'combust' like that though my Ti does get hot more often than not - and different parts too. Backend, body and occasionally frontend. What a mess.

Wildeyedzan

Good questions. I'll be posting here as soon as I get my new v5 bodies. See how they do. It's going to be a long 15 day wait for me.
Wow ,there are version 5 bodies ? That's crazy, I had no clue :o
Brought the hopper out for rotation and it promptly melted my face off...:whoa::freak:
Current flower is playing a big part. Perfect RH,the volcano grinder shreds it to very small pieces and I'm getting 4-5 10+ second rips off every bowl.
Perfect bedtime...and let's face it anytime vape ;)
Have a beautiful day everyone :)

Anyone recently buy some gb2 batteries ?looking to get some more ,checking to see how the stock is so far

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
I'm always using my GH with bubbler/J-hook dry, so yeah 10-15 sec draw minimum!!

Same. I’m using my GH with hydratube and hydrabase. Doesn’t matter how much I’m pulling. If the heater overruns, that’s bad news no matter what. Comparing to a cloud Evo, no issues whatsoever. Never combusted in there.

Even combusting at temperature 1 was out of control for me. The thing should get no where near as hot for combustion.

Combusted material is black. Smoke is in tube (yellow). You can tell the difference easily. Then you have to clean everything :-(

kbrown5523

Hopping in Washington
Can you guys post a pic of combusted material ?
The reason I use the word "incinerated" is that with my it's not just a little bit of flack abv, mine turns the herb into ash in a flash. A nanosecond. It's not "overcooking", it's "incinerating" the herb.

Modnote: Bad image link removed

Same. I’m using my GH with hydratube and hydrabase. Doesn’t matter how much I’m pulling. If the heater overruns, that’s bad news no matter what. Comparing to a cloud Evo, no issues whatsoever. Never combusted in there.

Even combusting at temperature 1 was out of control for me. The thing should get no where near as hot for combustion.

Combusted material is black. Smoke is in tube (yellow). You can tell the difference easily. Then you have to clean everything :-(
Exactly. One thing I learned is that I couldn't go back to smoking anymore if I was forced to. Have to clean EVERYTHING and then wait for the heachache it gives me to wear off. Brush my teeth and use mouthwash and I still can't get that awful taste out of my mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:

mario

Update. The 3rd body I was sent. Combusts in every setting. At 4 it completely incinerates it. Black ash falling out after a 3 second pull.

Sending it back with the one I was supposed to send back when I got this one. Had a hunch that this one would be busted too, so I waited before sending it back. Now I can just send them one box back.

I hope I get a response with something about the new v5 bodies. Even if I have to wait, I would rather have something that works.

This is starting to turn into a nightmare. I love the device, but I just want it to work. For more than 2 days.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Update. The 3rd body I was sent. Combusts in every setting. At 4 it completely incinerates it. Black ash falling out after a 3 second pull.

Sending it back with the one I was supposed to send back when I got this one. Had a hunch that this one would be busted too, so I waited before sending it back. Now I can just send them one box back.

I hope I get a response with something about the new v5 bodies. Even if I have to wait, I would rather have something that works.

This is starting to turn into a nightmare. I love the device, but I just want it to work. For more than 2 days.

Oh Mario... didn't I say this was gonna happen. It happened to me too :-(. I just can't believe they sent me back a device that combusts at every setting. :-(

mario

I’m just confused as to why they send out parts that are still broken. If they are working so hard to get things better, why are all the parts still doa????!

mario

If qc is what is costing them business why aren’t they focusing on it before they send things out?

mario,

nonbeliever

If qc is what is costing them business why aren’t they focusing on it before they send things out?
I would guess they would need to hire additional staff - from the last newsletter, it seems they are investing heavily in robotics or at least high tech equipment for manufacturing rather than additional staff - maybe some of the problems we all keep facing are that humans aren’t precise/accurate enough for repeatability?

Plus I think they are trying to modify older versions rather than replace those parts. Some of the older stuff just not be able to be saved (my Ti has been back for RMA more than 15 times, if it were me, I’d swap it out and give me a whole new body already).

Skinnyarbuckle

I love the updates, I’ve had one ordered since March and all I get is the updates. I’ve had my original one since early 2017 and it still works fine. I figure I’ll just wait it out and see where it all goes. I was trying to order the electric blue when they were on sale and they said they were all out so I went with the rose and now they say they have both in stock. :shrug: I also ordered the charger and some more batteries and the case . In one of their updates they said they were going to ship it all at once which would be great if they ever came out with the charger and the case. So I will just patiently wait, check in on the thread once in a while and just keep wondering. :rolleyes:

nonbeliever

Too late to edit previous post.

Just got September email update. Seems like such a slap in the face.

Maybe they should hire a few additional temporary techs so they actually could speed up on RMA’s?

At least we know they are REALLY going to speed up now on orders and RMA’s (excuse my /Sarc please).I applaud the many of you who actually have continued patience for these folks.

Vaporific

Maybe they should hire a few additional temporary techs so they actually could speed up on RMA’s?

At least we know they are REALLY going to speed up now on orders and RMA’s (excuse my /Sarc please).I applaud the many of you who actually have continued patience for these folks.
Don't hold your breath they'll hire additional people. They're so under water in almost every conceivable way. Quality control spanning parts AND batteries is sorely lacking hence the inconsistent or poor operation many of us are facing, either with the pre-orders including my Ti which is 2+ years old and new units. Again, it's a great device when it works well and consistently but that's seldom the case. While not statistically accurate more of us on here, myself included, seem to have problems than not - which doesn't bode well for us or HL.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
They didn’t even send me back my same hopper. The one I got had mismatched metal parts, the backend seemed a little dented and the number was completely different.

And yet I was willing to overlook all that if it worked LOL

Vaporific

They didn’t even send me back my same hopper. The one I got had mismatched metal parts, the backend seemed a little dented and the number was completely different.

And yet I was willing to overlook all that if it worked LOL
That’s horrible. Really! See my earlier post about what their RMA inventory probably looks like (“messy desk operation”). And unfortunately you and we are seeing evidence of that. I’m dreading sending my Ti in for RMA soon. There aren’t any more words...

snaffle

Time for some uninformed speculation, I think. Maybe the backend should ideally be calibrated to temperatures with the body, so that i.e. if the body offers a bit more resistance, or whatever, the backend provides slightly more power. So replacing just the body part may risk things not working correctly, as either too much or too little power may be provided to the heater, which could lead to damage, combustion, or just substandard performance. That at least would be a plausible explanation for @mario's problems, and also why support tends to ask for whole units back, even if they've likely identified which part needs replacing. Perhaps this calibration step is also time-consuming, so they skip it for repaired units that "look" fine, leading to more trouble down the road. Though @newVaper420's recent "repair" certainly doesn't sound like that could have passed even the most basic of checks...

Anyway, just some random thoughts from catching up on this thread. Fingers crossed improvements continue, and this mysterious and delicious sounding new "v5" revision fixes all problems. Hey, we have to be optimists, right? This thread shouldn't have any non-optimists left, at this point ;)

Love and a happy hopping day to you all x

Rel2018

Nah, shouldn't matter how long you're toking. A properly working Hopper would not combust anywhere </= setting 4.

Combustion issue aside, the GH manual specifically says short draws

if it milks your bong right away why keep going ?

Rel2018,

mario

So I emailed HL about my latest bum body with the combusting issue. I sent them an email about it a few hours before their September update email came out. After I got that email, I sent another asking if I could just send back all the bodies and have a new v5 body sent to me when they are ready.

The emailed me back early this morning saying that he was just about to suggest that he give me a v5 body because that would likely solve all my problems. Said he would have it out to me asap and apologized for the issues.

So I don't know, I'm frustrated with the amount of back and forth I have had to do, but yet I hope again and again to get a working one. I think if I had a working hopper it would probably be my main device sine it hits me harder than all my other vapes. So we will see what happens, but like most of us I guess, I remain hopeful that this one works.

Top Bottom