Discontinued The Grasshopper

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
He's just sightly bigger than the large santa cruz shredder, I found this old pic of mine

12bc3b220b9bccadf3c9f015559ec93c.png
Cool! Thanks!

Kermitt

I will get my personal leathercase, I have commissioned a tailor. Unfortunately I have to wait till end of September.
In addition I have found nothingsuitable for me. I want to get the Hopper in and out, which only need one hand. Also should be in the case only the Hopper. I store my batteries and accessories rather in another small case. Most on tour, I need the Hopper and not all extra batteries or herb. Since my leather sleeve is longitudinally opened, then provides the sleeve has a base on which I can prepare the GH for its use. Then the hopper is safe and nothing rolls away.

This is a picture of my old Hopper-case. No genuine leather, so it no longer looks so pretty like in the picture.

casejgikuhwer5.jpg

img7150ayesdr7w4k.jpg

Mr. Me2

I will get my personal leathercase, I have commissioned a tailor. Unfortunately I have to wait till end of September.
In addition I have found nothingsuitable for me. I want to get the Hopper in and out, which only need one hand. Also should be in the case only the Hopper. I store my batteries and accessories rather in another small case. Most on tour, I need the Hopper and not all extra batteries or herb. Since my leather sleeve is longitudinally opened, then provides the sheath has a base on which I can prepare the GH for its use. Then the hopper is safe and nothing roll away.

This is a picture of my old Hopper-case. No genuine leather, so it no longer looks so pretty like in the picture.

casejgikuhwer5.jpg

img7150ayesdr7w4k.jpg
The Livescribe case may suit your needs. Not great quality leather, but works as a solo case for the gh. Magnet close. Available on Amazon

Kermitt

The Livescribe case may suit your needs. Not great quality leather, but works as a solo case for the gh. Magnet close. Available on Amazon

I had already ordered, it fits really great. But I really like it much more, if I can relax shove the Hopper from the side.
That sounds goofy sure, but a soft leather sleeve is simply enjoyable. I could give more reasons but I find it in English just too hard to describe it :-)

JoeMama

No way I'm putting that stuff in the mouthpiece threads!

If I wasn't clear enough: The "threads" I am talking about are the BODY threads, not the mouthpiece threads. There's no reason to put anything on the mouthpiece threads, as there is no battery current making its way through them to complete the circuit (the hopper will operate without the mouthpiece screwed on).

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
In addition I have found nothingsuitable for me. I want to get the Hopper in and out, which only need one hand. Also should be in the case only the Hopper. I store my batteries and accessories rather in another small case. Most on tour, I need the Hopper and not all extra batteries or herb. Since my leather sleeve is longitudinally opened, then provides the sleeve has a base on which I can prepare the GH for its use. Then the hopper is safe and nothing rolls away.

casejgikuhwer5.jpg

img7150ayesdr7w4k.jpg

I had already ordered, it fits really great. But I really like it much more, if I can relax shove the Hopper from the side.
That sounds goofy sure, but a soft leather sleeve is simply enjoyable. I could give more reasons but I find it in English just too hard to describe it :-)
I think I know what you're saying. It seems like you prefer the "pouch" style case over a "sleeve" because it allows you to take out the Grasshopper one handed. The pouch also opens up, which provides a safe spot for your hopper to sit without falling or rolling away.

This makes a lot of sense. Besides the convenience I could see this being more aesthetically pleasing. I like my HL leather sleeve because it is small and unobtrusive, and prefer to keep herb and batteries separate like you do. It doesn't keep the hopper fully covered though, and seeing how the temp dial is a little sensitive a pouch would help to keep dust and lint out of the gap.

It would be awesome if there was a case like the one you pictured, but smaller, just slightly bigger than the hopper and with a pouch on only one side, made of high quality leather with a magnetic closure. That would be the perfect case for me.

Mr. Me2

I think I know what you're saying. It seems like you prefer the "pouch" style case over a "sleeve" because it allows you to take out the Grasshopper one handed. The pouch also opens up, which provides a safe spot for your hopper to sit without falling or rolling away.

This makes a lot of sense. Besides the convenience I could see this being more aesthetically pleasing. I like my HL leather sleeve because it is small and unobtrusive, and prefer to keep herb and batteries separate like you do. It doesn't keep the hopper fully covered though, and seeing how the temp dial is a little sensitive a pouch would help to keep dust and lint out of the gap.

It would be awesome if there was a case like the one you pictured, but smaller, just slightly bigger than the hopper and with a pouch on only one side, made of high quality leather with a magnetic closure. That would be the perfect case for me.
Have you looked at pen cases, or pipe (or cigar) cases? I know at least 1 or 2 cigar cases have been pictured in this thread, somewhere in the wayback machine.

Kermitt

Exactly, that's what I mean.

Believe me, folded it is very narrow. In addition, you can get the hopper with one hand out of the case. The case don't have to leave your pocket.
There are also magnetic closure.

Once I have my leather case, I'll post pics here

I find it difficult today to find the right vocabulary, and sentence structure, well. Sorry!
I think I will confine myself now more on reading :-)

Kermitt,
Reactions: moondog

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Exactly, that's what I mean.

Believe me, folded it is very narrow. In addition, you can get the hopper with one hand out of the case. The case don't have to leave your pocket.
There are also magnetic closure.

Once I have my leather case, I'll post pics here

I find it difficult today to find the right vocabulary, and sentence structure, well. Sorry!
I think I will confine myself now more on reading :-)
You are doing just fine with your English, don't be discouraged. :tup:

I'm a native speaker and I constantly have trouble describing the concepts in my head.

It sounds like we have the exact same preferences for a case. That's cool that you can open your case without it leaving your pocket.

I may have to search for a local leather worker to build me what I'm looking for. The case you posted is nice, but I agree with you that I would rather have some high quality soft leather.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok I just want to say that Caroline has been exceptional at Hopper Labs.

She has processed everything I asked for and more. For instance, I ordered 3 batteries, 2 mouthpieces and a sleeve, and she refunded me the leather sleeve since it won't be in for 2 weeks, that way, she will ship my batteries and mouthpieces today.

I did pick the $10 shipping so I'm hopping I get a shipping notice. I don't really want to bother her anymore. Does anyone know if accessory orders get changed in their store with the tracking information?

---------

Secondly, @JoeMama I looked at both batteries but they seem pretty identical to me, with the exception of the bad battery having a slight raise in the battery wrap in the top. It's hard to describe. Anyhow, doesn't look like anything to be honest.

Still nothing. I do have my Nitecore D4 coming today, so I'll pop it in and see what the Nitecore says.

moondog

Ok I just want to say that Caroline has been exceptional at Hopper Labs.

She has processed everything I asked for and more. For instance, I ordered 3 batteries, 2 mouthpieces and a sleeve, and she refunded me the leather sleeve since it won't be in for 2 weeks, that way, she will ship my batteries and mouthpieces today.

I did pick the $10 shipping so I'm hopping I get a shipping notice. I don't really want to bother her anymore. Does anyone know if accessory orders get changed in their store with the tracking information?

---------

Secondly, @JoeMama I looked at both batteries but they seem pretty identical to me, with the exception of the bad battery having a slight raise in the battery wrap in the top. It's hard to describe. Anyhow, doesn't look like anything to be honest.

Still nothing. I do have my Nitecore D4 coming today, so I'll pop it in and see what the Nitecore says.

Glad to hear that Caroline is on her game.

I just used my new D4 for the first time today and that is one sweet piece of kit!

JoeMama

OK, NewV... Does the battery register in the charger??

I like my HL leather sleeve

Wait, What? You got a leather sleeve?? Did they start shipping them? I'm still waiting for the one(s) that was supposed to have shipped with my hopper last month.

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
OK, NewV... Does the battery register in the charger??

Wait, What? You got a leather sleeve?? Did they start shipping them? I'm still waiting for the one(s) that was supposed to have shipped with my hopper last month.

Yes I got it in the charger right now.

It's blinking at the first bar, and after 5 minutes, I'm at 3.71v.

1. Should I be concerned I only have one battery in there? It's charging at 750mA, is that ok?

2. It looked like it was extremely dead, like it said 1.6V or something like that. I got it in the charger right now. How long will this take. It still is blinking the first bar on the D4. And it's showing on display 3.73V, Charge time 6 minutes, and 750mA.

It's showing Li-ion and Chg Mode CC

newVaper420,

Mr. Me2

1. Should I be concerned I only have one battery in there? It's charging at 750mA, is that ok?

2. It looked like it was extremely dead, like it said 1.6V or something like that. I got it in the charger right now. How long will this take. It still is blinking the first bar on the D4. And it's showing on display 3.73V, Charge time 6 minutes, and 750mA.

Others have recommended you charge it on the low setting. I don't remember why...I just follow instructions.

Mr. Me2,

Mr. Me2

I was able to set mine to low while charging just one battery. Just hold down the "Mode " button for more than one second and "Low" will show up in the bottom right-hand corner of the display.
I think if you click on the left button it will identify which chamber is registered so you can pick the setting for each

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds

That sounds like you just got a discharged battery. It's too soon to tell but it seems to be charging at a normal rate.

I've noticed sometimes it shows really weird readings when I put a battery in my Nitecore D2, then a couple seconds later it will show what I'm expecting.

I ordered my leather sleeve in the beginning of June, along with a spare battery. I had them ship it right away so they would be ready when I received my SS from VapoShop.

I'm still waiting on my preorder (address confirmed :D), but it sounds like it won't be coming with the sleeve I ordered last year. I find it surprising that HL could be out of stock on such a simple accessory for so long.

Last edited:
Vapor_Eyes,
Reactions: moondog

newVaper420

Vapor Enthusiast
Ok I got the extra battery working. I'm not sure why the hopper was not charging it, but maybe it was just too low to actually register to start charging. Who knows? Anyhow, I did email the eBay seller and offer to pay for the battery he sent me. I'm not into getting stuff for free, just into getting stuff working.

I feel bad at jumping the gun, but I just wanted to get it resolved. Having one battery with your hopper is painful

Edit: eBay seller did not ship extra battery yet! All is right in the world!

greenextinguisher

I looked at a review and it seems like that case would be too small for the Orbiter. Maybe I am thinking the Orbiter is much bigger than it actually is?

I have the ryot case but not the orbiter. I have seen the orbiter before and I don't think it would be any problem to fit in the piper along with its whip.

He's just sightly bigger than the large santa cruz shredder, I found this old pic of mine

12bc3b220b9bccadf3c9f015559ec93c.png

Maybe not with that stem on it though. lol

If I wasn't clear enough: The "threads" I am talking about are the BODY threads, not the mouthpiece threads. There's no reason to put anything on the mouthpiece threads, as there is no battery current making its way through them to complete the circuit (the hopper will operate without the mouthpiece screwed on).

I didn't expect that you'd make that recommendation, but you were replying to a post where I exclusively discussed the mouthpiece threads. Since I'm now pretty sure that what we are wiping off of the threads is actually ground up titanium, we may be better served with a with a titanium-safe lubricant on the threads. I bet we can even manage something food safe if we mix some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with an alkaline or neutral H-1 food-safe grease. If you have a SS, it probably doesn't matter much either way.

Since I was getting all sorts of TI dust off the backend threads, I felt it was quite possible its also coming off the mouthpiece threads. It is. I cleaned my whole unit and didn't use it for a week. No battery was inserted. I did remove the front end a few times per day. At the end of the week, I swabbed the front threads and pulled off what appears to be a significant amount of tiny long shavings and "dust."

I've just finished soaking it for 48 hours in 99% ISO. I've also disassembled the front end entirely. I'm going to repeat the test with 100% certainty that the front end threads are starting in a completely clean state. I'm fairly certain they were last round, but this is super duper certain. I'm not even going to put the screen and components back in the front end for this test. Just to remove all doubt about what I am seeing.

moondog

I have the ryot case but not the orbiter. I have seen the orbiter before and I don't think it would be any problem to fit in the piper along with its whip.

Maybe not with that stem on it though. lol

I didn't expect that you'd make that recommendation, but you were replying to a post where I exclusively discussed the mouthpiece threads. Since I'm now pretty sure that what we are wiping off of the threads is actually ground up titanium, we may be better served with a with a titanium-safe lubricant on the threads. I bet we can even manage something food safe if we mix some sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) with an alkaline or neutral H-1 food-safe grease. If you have a SS, it probably doesn't matter much either way.

Since I was getting all sorts of TI dust off the backend threads, I felt it was quite possible its also coming off the mouthpiece threads. It is. I cleaned my whole unit and didn't use it for a week. No battery was inserted. I did remove the front end a few times per day. At the end of the week, I swabbed the front threads and pulled off what appears to be a significant amount of tiny long shavings and "dust."

I've just finished soaking it for 48 hours in 99% ISO. I've also disassembled the front end entirely. I'm going to repeat the test with 100% certainty that the front end threads are starting in a completely clean state. I'm fairly certain they were last round, but this is super duper certain. I'm not even going to put the screen and components back in the front end for this test. Just to remove all doubt about what I am seeing.
I'll be awaiting your test results with great interest.

Top Bottom