Discontinued The Grasshopper

GTAVaper very helpful information. Thank you! I will look into those. So many vaporizers I've never heard of, and I'm glad people are trying them out and providing info. I get so caught up in all the hype around certain brands that I get scared to try something new.

Part of the reason I was considering the Mighty/Crafty is for use without a water tool, and from what I've read, the vapor seems to be incredibly cool for dry hits. So I'd probably use the Grasshopper with a water tool at home, use it as a one-hitter on the go, and stick with the Mighty/Crafty for longer dry sessions.

GTAVaper

Check out my Apollo clouds at the bottom of pg 35 in the Apollo thread.....you definitely need water though as it runs hot but far more usage time ~50min to 65min "on time" .....boosting as necessary....than the GH....although 3 min warm up is required

Another vape to consider for your desired usage pattern might be the Firefly 2

Bass Vaper

I put kief right in it too sometimes, works fine.

I used a Crafty for the first time a week or so ago, other than the heat up time & cost it seemed way better than the Hopper. Cool, thick, vapor with great flavor.

Does anyone know how to get the brown stain off the silicone tip? Major design flaw using a clear piece. Looks like a proctologist's go to....

moondog

It's an obsession but it's pleasin'
I used a Crafty for the first time a week or so ago, other than the heat up time & cost it seemed way better than the Hopper.

The cost, the non-user-replaceable battery, and the whole "need a smart phone to access all the features" thing are what kept me from buying one of those.

Does anyone know how to get the brown stain off the silicone tip? Major design flaw using a clear piece. Looks like a proctologist's go to....

Well, I'll never be able to unread that. Maybe my poor old brain will forget it by July, when I just KNOW GHL will hit my ESD with finely-tuned precision.

This post on r/grasshoppervape about a month ago, a poster showed that you can use disposable e-cig juice tester mouthpieces with the GH (sorry if this has already been mentioned here). The poster said you can pick them up for free at most vape shops, but I also found them in bulk on eBay (50 individually wrapped for less than $6). I plan to do this and just dispose of them every so often after they get dirty. Not a solution, but an alternative.

I'm so obsessed with this damn device that I have already have notes on future problems.

Mr. Me2

GTAVaper very helpful information. Thank you! I will look into those. So many vaporizers I've never heard of, and I'm glad people are trying them out and providing info. I get so caught up in all the hype around certain brands that I get scared to try something new.

Part of the reason I was considering the Mighty/Crafty is for use without a water tool, and from what I've read, the vapor seems to be incredibly cool for dry hits. So I'd probably use the Grasshopper with a water tool at home, use it as a one-hitter on the go, and stick with the Mighty/Crafty for longer dry sessions.
I'll add to your VAS list of other vapes to consider, the firefly 2. The 1st preorders are just being received and the reviews are great!

And I agree with you and think a Crafty/Mighty is a good choice to marry with the gh. But I also agree with @GTAVaper recommendations. Although I don't have those vapes, I've followed those threads and the reports are solid.

Happy shopping!

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Since owning a hopper I have been blasting it daily, or at least every chance I get. Overall too much! (Or not enough)...
The GH has become the only way I use cannabis now and I'm pretty stoked with it. It suits my needs of dense quality vapour production through glass and water nearly perfectly and it offers an on point blend of versatility and aesthetics/form.

It chews through batteries if you like having more than around 10 bongs an hour, which is genuinely a lot but also super chill once you work up tolerance to it.
I am vaping two chambers off one battery charge comfortably, and getting 2-6 (mids to kief) bong hits from each chamber (proper face punching bong hits).
I love having five batteries, it is basically infinity spares. And I can only charge two at once. Beauty of low capacity is a fast charge. Every time I try and out fog my batteries I basically lose track of everything and I'm not sure if I've ever been successful. Guaranteed good time though.

I tried my EQ for the first time today, and in comparison the GH is like a finely designed heating device. The EQ bowl is nasty hot and it's bitten me too many times.
I have got stung by the hopper for sure, it gets hot near the heater and the clip/backend gets pretty hot if you leave it on 5 for a whole bowl or two. But it's not enough to burn you. If handled with care (which is so hard because it works well) it's fine, and worst case scenario you might just drop it from shock, but it can't actually harm you with the temps it reaches unlike what I used to deal with with my EQ (handling bare glass hot enough to melt your fingertips off).

So far in my mild climate cosy corner of the globe, it's seems safe but definitely uncomfortable if you hold it wrong after using it for a few minutes.

I can cache a bowl in 1:30, and doing this twice in a row without turning the hopper off, except to fill it, is basically a method of choice for producing a hot hopper.

Mine has had some classic burned out blunders (always from effect never from heat)
If dropped from a height, it lands button first and can turn itself on.
I have some tiny dents in my button from the road it bounced on.
I seriously recommend Ti, my SS band has some dings and it looks shabby. I believe it is quite simple to polish them out though.
Overall, bare metal with some scars is fine and the Ti holds up well. This thing is a finely crafted tool, and a bit of well worn wear and tear just means it's up to the job. I have used the GH as a dedicated sesh device since March 17 and it has been good as!

It's included charger has started playing up again, although with multiple batteries this is basically a non-issue for my future use so not fussed. I believe this aspect to be the weakest part of the current design. I hope they fix it, because in use the pass-thru-like charging is pretty nice.

I've had the unit seemingly combust herb twice, both times its hard to say if it was really combustion, but it got some proper satin black results and some solid white glass. No ash though, so it was borderline. Tasted a bit toasty, but not on fire.
It seems to be working fine since though, with normal 5 step extraction quality like in their ABV video. It did seem to be acting strange both times, and it was after I'd been using it for hours excessively.

Hopefully some of that makes sense or is interesting I'm really quite blazed :smug:
Have been GIMing hard since my kief fuelled wake and bake

(so i just logged on to find this wall of text)
TL;DR I was high af

I'm just going to add that I have no problem hitting it dry, I can use it bare at level 5 but only for quick blasts. I prefer to use it in the 2-4 range bare, and it's basically like hitting a joint. Similar kind of heat to deal with, the longer you hit it the hotter it gets, just like an actual joint.

The Grasshoppper is pretty much the only way I consume now also, glad you've been hitting the GIM, see ya there in 5 seconds!

Wavy

I used my Mighty yesterday in the afternoon after having used my GH all day. I really don't think you miss much while it's heating up since the Mighty actually produces better tasting vapor than the GH throughout the whole "session." At one point I thought the Mighty wasn't producing vapor, had it at 365f so I blew out into the light in the ceiling. I couldn't tell if it was producing vapor because it was so cool. I mean it felt like I was inhaling cold air compared to the Gh lol. I was using a smoke buddy so I had to blow it into the ceiling light to see if it was producing vapor, and it was. :lol: Anyways, today I brought my GH to work with me because I guess I'm a masochist? :evil: I kid, the GH is just so damn powerful and makes me feel like I'm smoking with the dense clouds.
That's why I use the hop alot it's the closest thing to combustion because of the hot vapor which I do use at 5 native and man oh man do those hits take me back to combustion. I just got my red Firefly 2 today and that is my terpene king, I taste everything from the plant. I think if I was to grab a piece of bud or grinded up bud with greasy cheeseburger fingers I'm sure I'll be able to taste the burger taste in the FF2 lol. Can't wait to do the review so I can then go ahead and do my first vape vs vape review. Insects of the vaporizer world Firefly 2 vs Grasshopper.

BadDog No

wE WHO ARE STILL WAITING (sorry for the caps lock) eagerly await your review. Do you also have the original FireFly widely regarded by myself and both my lucky friends I gave them to, to be the finest tasting vape ever? ;) Inquiring minds want to know... But seriously, it would be a great standard. I've heard the FF2 is hotter/harsher? Boooooo! Will my SS GH stand up to my FF1 with a custom Lotus WPA lid? Stay tuned...

SPOILER ALERT: The Hopper ain't here yet for the compparison. :lol:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
That's why I use the hop alot it's the closest thing to combustion because of the hot vapor which I do use at 5 native and man oh man do those hits take me back to combustion. I just got my red Firefly 2 today and that is my terpene king, I taste everything from the plant. I think if I was to grab a piece of bud or grinded up bud with greasy cheeseburger fingers I'm sure I'll be able to taste the burger taste in the FF2 lol. Can't wait to do the review so I can then go ahead and do my first vape vs vape review. Insects of the vaporizer world Firefly 2 vs Grasshopper.

Nice infestation you got there, no fumigator needed! Looking forward to that review, I bet they make good companion vapes .... shut up VAS no one was talking to you ...

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
@Wavy One advantage the GH will have over the firefly, I think, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can throw chunks of bud in it without grinding. Seems like it will require less of a ritual when vaping. Kind of like how I used to have to turn my SCS upside down when I was going to vape with my Pax2 and also having to put a screen on top of the load. Do you think you'll be able to throw small chunks of bud in the FF2 and have good results? I love the simplicity of using the GH.

Kasish

Im not buying another vaporizer not even a firefly 2 untill someone comes up with a good convection vape that lasts... My friend just got his ff2 and he told me it lasts 1 bowl more than the ff1 "100% increase in battery life" they said...

Edit.
Vaporizer makers are like politicians they promise u the world befor u buy the vape and then ur stuck with going out with ur "portable" vaporizer and 5 batteries in ur pockets. U cant even leave the batteries in ur car as they might overheat and burn ur car;-).

Kasish,
Reactions: Hjalmark

hi_there

For my Canadian friends, there is a shop that has a few grasshoppers left (apparently) $420 CDN https://boroheads.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_43&products_id=410

Mine is shipped so should get it in a couple of days. I will have to try and deal with having only one battery till GHL has more for sale. The price is pretty high but factor in USD and possible duty and it was acceptable for me, after all even if I did not cancel my March 2015 pre-order I would still be waiting months for this.

Gandalf

@hi_there

Have you contacted GHL yet for extra batteries? In the past I've just ordered the batteries and sent an email to Caroline and they ship them out right away.

Gandalf,
Reactions: Thcgos

snorcan

Stay charged, my friends
For my Canadian friends, there is a shop that has a few grasshoppers left (apparently) $420 CDN

Whew, makes my $330 vape fiend purchase more stomachable...but then I'm just walking distance from Boriheads right now! And they're open!!

snorcan,
Reactions: Thcgos

Wavy

@Wavy One advantage the GH will have over the firefly, I think, correct me if I'm wrong, is that you can throw chunks of bud in it without grinding. Seems like it will require less of a ritual when vaping. Kind of like how I used to have to turn my SCS upside down when I was going to vape with my Pax2 and also having to put a screen on top of the load. Do you think you'll be able to throw small chunks of bud in the FF2 and have good results? I love the simplicity of using the GH.
Yes you are correct hopper does work with buds that arent grinded up and I'm proud to say that I just did what you asked and chunks of bud in the Firefly 2 works fine.. Stay wavy my friend

kingfisher

1 week review:

I splurged on this thing sst from vape fiend as I already have a pre-order I am waiting for. Figured my b day is Tom and I didn't want to ring in a new decade without it.
Bottom line is the GH has stepped the portable game up a few notches. I am going to assume we all know it is discrete and portable etc. These are obvious areas they have improved the portable vapes game.
Things I like:
1. Replaceable batteries that don't cost $50/piece.
-Batteries are small but charge quick. I have yet to use the GH charger. I use an i4 and they seem to charge quick.
-I got 6 batteries and plan on using this for weekend camping trips. Will have to update on life with group use without a charger around.
- right now a battery seems to last around 2-3 bowls. Which is fine bc I seem to get around 6-8 large hits per bowl.
2. Quick heat up.
3. Great taste
4. Easy adaptability for water pipe
5. This thing is a power house for clouds. This is the main thing I was attracted to. As it seems in the past portable herb vapes have either burned or not gotten it to the proper temp to brown it. When I say it hits hard... I mean I can get a hit close to a dab strength.
6. This is hugely important too. Quick sessions. In the past it has been difficult to vape when I just want a quick hit. 30 min sessions don't work when you catch a fish.
7. While it provides quick hits. It isn't all the thing can do. I have sessioned it between three people and it was easier than my extreme q.

Cons:
Short vapor path can be harsh on the mouth. Especially at higher temps. I found I got sufficient strength at temp 2 for direct use and that reminded me of my old iolite.

So far the construction is surprisingly solid. I have used it everyday since recurving it.

Sometimes the back end seems to get hotter than other times. It seems to coincide with the blue lights pulsing rapidly. Which I am noticing occurs when the battery is low. Right before flashing red.

Last edited:
Top Bottom