• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

OF

I am under the impression that the Air is a (Mostly) conduction unit. @OF ?

Yep, 'everyone' is? Only natural, it's what they've been told (and want to believe since they 'know' convection is superior somehow). From a Thermodynamics POV vapor is made by heat conducted into the load, not by superheated air. For convection to be a factor the air has to be heated above 'magic temperature' so it can cool (giving up energy to make vapor) and still remain above 400F as it leaves. There's no such source to heat the air that hot in Solo/Air/ArGo (the nominally 400F cup is the hottest thing in town)......

This means from a scientific POV there's no such thing as 'hybrid' (unless you can identify that hotter heat source). The important concept here is more heat (in calories) has to be added to make vapor if the load temperature is not allowed to drop. If incoming air is not hotter (and it can't be on average since only a tiny fraction actually contacts the walls of t he vents in the 400F cup), it can only 'rob' heat (from conduction) that would otherwise make vapor. Them's the rules.

All the evidence is there. Heat soak is a conduction thing (convection vapes don't exhibit it) as is long battery life (convection is a power hog, consider TV, ESV and GH?). Sipping is another clue. Superheated air in convection vapes brings more and more heat in, making more and more vapor. Consider VG. There you have to draw heated air through the idle load to get results, vapor isn't waiting patiently for you after the 'heat soak'.

There's a longish thread around here somewhere, complete with lots of 'thermocouple evidence' to support the idea that turned out to be instrumentation error (heat is being drawn out locally by the very thermocouple making the measurement), smaller T/C leads show less effect......

Here's a simple experiment you can do: Load a stem just into the cup (not into the cup) of a hot Solo/Air/ArGo and honk away. Full convection, 'no' conduction. Then try the same fresh stem into the cup with no drawing for say 2 minutes (full conduction, zero convection) then take a sip. And ask yourself which is more like 'normal' operation at that setting?

Not that it matters in the end, of course, we want vapor, how exactly that (heat being transferred into the load) happens is not really important. But, if we're going to use technical terms to describe things I think we should do so accurately. We should follow the rules, Thermodynamics is real and 'fits' with the rest of what we collectively believe is going on in the real world.

Yep, by the rules of Thermodynamics I was taught as a lad, it's conduction (Like most vapes?). First rule: Heat flows from hot to cold...... 'Follow the heat'.

Shakespeare said, "A rose, by any other name, would smell as sweet" and while he's right about roses, he's dead now. And never vaped? It's just a name, but if we're going to use it we should do so correctly?

Regards and best weekend wishes to all. Now, if you'll excuse me, I got up to 'play' with my new HR EDGE? Neat vape BTW, also conduction despite what folks trying to promote them might say.......

OF

sickmanfraud

Regards and best weekend wishes to all. Now, if you'll excuse me, I got up to 'play' with my new HR EDGE? Neat vape BTW, also conduction despite what folks trying to promote them might say.......

I am new to the F2 game with a POTV One. Are you saying that the F2/One/Edge are all conduction?

Wouldn't conduction provide a longer battery life? Are you suggesting heat soaking the load like a Solo or Air between hits? That would make about 6-7 hits per session?

sickmanfraud,
Reactions: OF

OF

I am new to the F2 game with a POTV One. Are you saying that the F2/One/Edge are all conduction?

Wouldn't conduction provide a longer battery life? Are you suggesting heat soaking the load like a Solo or Air between hits? That would make about 6-7 hits per session?

Yup, all around. I think you broke the code.......

How many 'hits per session' is pretty subjective. Most hit until satisfied? Some of us restart such vapes when the 5 minutes (4 with F2) expire if we're not done. From cold it takes maybe 2 minutes to reach full production then 2 or 3 hit a minute for me.

In fact I just restarted my EDGE as it 'timed out' while typing. Back to business for me.

Regards,

OF

OF,

CalyxSmokr

I dispose of them when their (tested) capacity drops 10 or 15%. They decline from there fairly quickly. I completely discharge them then put them in the battery recycling pickup.

In general they don't lose efficiency. MaH in is what you can get out. Electron for electron....it's chemical thing. No magic allowed.

I hope that answers your question?

OF
How can I test capacity? I have multimeters and a nitecore charger. Will they tell me that? I need a baseline to start from.
And thanks so much for the rest of the answer.

Last edited:

OF

How can I test capacity? I have multimeters and a nitecore charger. Will they tell me that? I need a baseline to start from.
And thanks so much for the rest of the answer.

I just use a tester personally. I actually have two chargers with this function (fast or normal test) built in.

Some Nitecore chargers have this function, some don't.

Another way is to charge it up and do a controlled 'run down'. I use maximum temperature with no load (stem or hitting). Then count the number of 'sessions' under those conditions. IIRC my Air gets six or so such sessions, I could be off there it's been a while. Unfortunately my Air is out on loan so I can't run one for you, perhaps someone can?

Alternatively you can get NCR1650Bs cheaply enough to just order on to compare to? You can store it (at about 60% charge in a cool place) for something like 10 years and only lose 10% capacity. Last ones I bought were about ten dollars each. Stick with Panasonic, and that exact number.

Regards to all,

OF

narrowsparrow

Thank you for the science lesson, OF. Obviously, I was a victim of false information. I thought convection just meant that no heat was *directly* applied to the herb. Now I see that I was wrong. At 72, I am trying to minimize the amount of "ick" that goes into my lungs, and that's what I thought I was doing with Arizer products. Now that my bubble has been burst, it feels like I have no choice but to screw with my lungs if I continue to vape. I may as well resort to rolling joints again. <sigh>

OF

I am trying to minimize the amount of "ick" that goes into my lungs, and that's what I thought I was doing with Arizer products. Now that my bubble has been burst, it feels like I have no choice but to screw with my lungs if I continue to vape. I may as well resort to rolling joints again.

How you cook your meal is secondary to cooking it? Keeping the junk out of your one and only body is a smart move for sure. The very idea behind vaping over blazing. Well OK, it saves money and smells better and all but the big thing is better health and longer life?

You are absolutely 'right' to vape and Solo/Air/ArGo is a top choice. But from a scientific POV how the heat is transferred in to make the vapor doesn't really matter. Vapor is vapor, in broad terms (like dinner cooked by boiling, frying, baking or microwave). In fact, I'd suggest convection is inferior from a health POV since you have to pull so much hot (and therefore day) air though. You otherwise wouldn't intentionally suck in lots of hot air if it didn't include some THC? Interesting idea........

I think much of the credit guys give convection over conduction is because conduction vapes and get easily fouled and are often hard to clean. For sure Solo/Air/ArGo by using the glass stems makes a huge difference here from many conduction vapes in terms of 'clean taste' since the glass is so easy to keep clean. You can soak in ISO, wash in PBW (advised) or do what I do (as a card carrying lazy guy), put the stems in the dishwasher. I even have a small plastic funnel with a short bit of tubing I use on 'problem pieces' (like little bubblers). Otherwise it goes in the silverware tray part so some of the hot wash water flowing down goes through them. Followed, of course, by rinse.

No question, Solo/Air/ArGo is a top notch vape from a lot of angles. Enjoy it in good health.

There's also eatables to consider, bypassing the lungs completely. But don't even think of going back to blazing, it's just as disgusting and bad as you remember.

Regards to all.

OF

sickmanfraud

Yup, all around. I think you broke the code.......

How many 'hits per session' is pretty subjective. Most hit until satisfied? Some of us restart such vapes when the 5 minutes (4 with F2) expire if we're not done. From cold it takes maybe 2 minutes to reach full production then 2 or 3 hit a minute for me.

In fact I just restarted my EDGE as it 'timed out' while typing. Back to business for me.

Regards,

OF

@OF you are saying that if I pack a dosing capsule and drop it in the POTC One (or F2) and turn it on say 175C and I forget it I will come back to a "used" capsule? Like in a SOLO?

sickmanfraud,

narrowsparrow

THanks, OF. You are a good teacher. The analogy about how one cooks one's food resulting in cooked food was an AHA moment for this slow learner. It IS interesting that we are willing to suck hot air into our lungs just because there's THC at the end of the effort speaks to all of us stoners: Because we like the end result! Personally, I am a ripper; I cannot seem to take itty bitty draws. My mother had astounding lungs. As a kid I could hear her call me home from almost an entire city block away. So I guess I got my gonzo lungs from her. I pull to the count of nine (because I like baseball?) hold it, and then slowly ease it out. I can only get about six draws that way, but it does the job.

Now I suppose I can also use my Pax 2 since I'm now convinced that conduction isn't evil. Makes me wonder where I learned that convection was superior in the first place. :shrug:

LabPong

At 72, I am trying to minimize the amount of "ick" that goes into my lungs, and that's what I thought I was doing with Arizer products. Now that my bubble has been burst, it feels like I have no choice but to screw with my lungs if I continue to vape. I may as well resort to rolling joints again. <sigh>

Get yourself a wpa/water adapter. I only use my Air's through water and it will help your throat and lungs immensely! A small glass rig is fine for the Airs...

OF

@OF you are saying that if I pack a dosing capsule and drop it in the POTC One (or F2) and turn it on say 175C and I forget it I will come back to a "used" capsule? Like in a SOLO?

I'm not sure I follow you. But if you put a load in and 'forget it' (don't hit it, but let it time out), the herb taste will be different but it'll still be potent afterwards. The THC doesn't get destroyed, or escape, for the most part.

Back in the Purple Days experience, many of us accidentally performed this experiment. We'd put a loaded stem in to heat and space it out only to find it the next day still heated and waiting. The hit was still potent after many hours of heating.

I would recommend enjoying it directly, of course.

THanks, OF. You are a good teacher. The analogy about how one cooks one's food resulting in cooked food was an AHA moment for this slow learner.

Now I suppose I can also use my Pax 2 since I'm now convinced that conduction isn't evil. Makes me wonder where I learned that convection was superior in the first place.

Yer welcome, thanks for the kind words. You'd hardly guess I used to teach for mere money (though not vaping, unfortunately)........ Kids learn by rote, adults by linking to what we already know. Adults build complex skills, like say math, in steps that way. Children recite multiplication tables over and over.

I'd go back and try PaX again if you were old friends. You no doubt heard 'convection is superior' somewhere and, like a child, took it for true without trying to fit it in. Happens a LOT.

Best wishes.

OF

OF,

narrowsparrow

Well, my brain never did well in math. Maybe that's the part of the brain that is still a child and will believe whatever I hear... Nah, I'm a skeptic! Even a worse problem. (Incredibly, I'm an ex-teacher, too. Obviously, I did not teach math!)

Yes, I plan to invite my PAX 2 to my next party of one. Soon! Thanks for helping me out.

olivianewtonjohn

I wanted to send my USB charging cable (among other spare parts) to my friend who recently acquired the arizer air. One thing I am not sure on is if its safe to use the cable even if its not a high amp USB port? Like say a .5A port, would that be a potential problem? I rather just not send it if .5A ports are a problem as I dont see him checking every port before use (like the USB ports found in cars for example).

olivianewtonjohn,

OF

I wanted to send my USB charging cable (among other spare parts) to my friend who recently acquired the arizer air. One thing I am not sure on is if its safe to use the cable even if its not a high amp USB port? Like say a .5A port, would that be a potential problem? I rather just not send it if .5A ports are a problem as I dont see him checking every port before use (like the USB ports found in cars for example).

No problem. I'll just charge as fast as the port will let it, no danger.

Same thing the other way, BTW. Worst case problem is slower charging if you use a cheap cable with a Amp plus source. Not enough loss of efficiency to make the cable more than a tiny bit warm.

I hope your friend enjoys Air, it's a good one for sure.

OF

narrowsparrow

In another matter, I have been pondering whether it makes any difference to use a battery that's been charged in the unit (plugged into the wall) or if it's better to get out a "charger-charged" battery instead.

narrowsparrow,

Megaton

In another matter, I have been pondering whether it makes any difference to use a battery that's been charged in the unit (plugged into the wall) or if it's better to get out a "charger-charged" battery instead.

In usage there shouldn't be much difference, but in terms of long term battery safety and longevity I would charge externally, as a proper charger will have all the controls and safety features that you could not expect from on board charging in a vape.

Megaton,

OF

In usage there shouldn't be much difference, but in terms of long term battery safety and longevity I would charge externally, as a proper charger will have all the controls and safety features that you could not expect from on board charging in a vape.

Why is that? I expect Arizer to use the best technology available, they always have? It's in their best interest, right? OTOH, some random charger maker in a third world setting.......

To the OP's question, no real difference, the electrons don't know the difference. My personal preference is to charge in place. Not only is it less hassle but folks have had 'restart issues' (sometimes needing the unit to be plugged in when the 'new' (charged) battery is inserted since it has zero power during the change. Charging in place removes this potential. We went through this with an Arizer owner (ArGo?) a while back, it seems several other owners also had been having the random problem, keeping it plugged in during changes fixed it. The theory is when the new cell goes in the initial contact 'bounces' and catches the reboot at a bad time when the power momentarily drops out. Sometimes. But, once the unit is 'locked up' at the wrong spot it can be a problem?

Your call, as ever.

OF

OF,

narrowsparrow

Well, OF, that actually makes sense. I did buy my charger from Arizer even though it likely cost more. But if something goes wrong, Arizer can’t blame it on my charger since it’s the one they sold me. I usually leave one of my two batteries uncharged for a while (a month or so), recharging my unit from the wall during that time. Then I will switch batteries, rinse, and repeat. But I’ve read that I shouldn’t leave a battery laying around. ???

narrowsparrow,

OF

Well, OF, that actually makes sense.

Hot damn!!! I knew if I kept spouting off enough, it'd happen sooner or later.....

Like they taught us at The Hoover Institute: "Knock on enough doors and you're going to eventually sell a vacuum". The old blind pig saw?

Too bad I had no warning, there's a LOT of doubters I'd like to have here right now. Trust me on this.

But I’ve read that I shouldn’t leave a battery laying around. ???

Yep, bad advice. If they're going to last ten years there sure to be lying around somewhere at least part of that time? Like in the shop, waiting for you to take it home? Or, more usually, pay someone to send it to you?

Store them partially (say 2/3) charged. Not full or 'near empty'. Suspect any you buy that don't arrive at that level, makers know this so ship them in that range. Store them in a 'not too hot' place, one you'd be comfortable in. Storing them fully charged in a hot place can kill them off without ever being used. Treat them right and you can expect 85% or more capacity ten years from now. Good info here:
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Regards to all.

OF

narrowsparrow

They're happy in a Goldilocks spot, but I'm storing them with too much charge. The 2/3 rule is very helpful; I'm thinking about 60%-65% charged? (I am decidedly not a mathematical genius.) So When I use the AA2 later it should be done to about that level. Then I'll get battery that was on my charger and let the other one in the unit hang around. Do you alternate yours or just go by a sort of "whenever" intuition?

narrowsparrow,

OF

They're happy in a Goldilocks spot, but I'm storing them with too much charge. The 2/3 rule is very helpful; I'm thinking about 60%-65% charged? (I am decidedly not a mathematical genius.) So When I use the AA2 later it should be done to about that level. Then I'll get battery that was on my charger and let the other one in the unit hang around. Do you alternate yours or just go by a sort of "whenever" intuition?

Your math is fine. Say 'about 70%'? That will very slowly degrade over time. Hopefully slowly, like a few percent a year?

I tend to test the capacity of new 'batteries' to be sure they're OK, then store them in cases in a cardboard box at that level, using them as needed. I get 'new ones' from that stash when I have the need, and return them to the box when I stop using a given vape (the vape will discharge them over time waiting for you to press the magic button the summon the genie. Nothing to be gained by swapping them around unless I'm going to be away from a charger.

When I get really bored I'll sometimes get a second box and cycle them through the tester again. Not a goo sign, really.

Regards to all.

OF

Last edited:
OF,

DJ Colonel Corn

The Vapor Ninja
Hey guys
I've been using my Air 1 Original Issue air for years now.

BUT

I accidentally turned OFF the 'beep' function today.... and....
I don't know to turn it back on !

So, how do you switch on and off the beep on the arizer air 1 ?

Sorry, can't go thru all these 412 posts to find my answer.

Hope u can help ! Thanx.

OF

So, how do you switch on and off the beep on the arizer air 1 ?

The Audio / Beep function can be turned on and off. To turn the Audio / Beep on or off, first power on the device, then press and hold the Up Arrow button for approximately three seconds.

If the Audio / Beep is activated, a beep will be heard when the Arizer Air is powered on or off. If the Audio / Beep is deactivated, the Arizer Air remains silent when powered on or off.

https://arizer.com/support/arizer-air-support-page/

OF

Top Bottom