fatbiker

I’m considering adding a SSV to my collection.

I’d like to hear from those of you who own one and have used a Volcano and or Flowerpot. (I have used both quite a bit and would like a comparison.)

I’d like to have the SSV connect to a water piece via glass and not a rubber whip. Is this possible?

Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!

arb

Semi shaved ape
I’m considering adding a SSV to my collection.

I’d like to hear from those of you who own one and have used a Volcano and or Flowerpot. (I have used both quite a bit and would like a comparison.)

I’d like to have the SSV connect to a water piece via glass and not a rubber whip. Is this possible?

Any info you can share would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Get a life saber if that is your goal.
Same exact heater just made to sit on a male to male adapter.

ohmygodimsohigh

wow! awesome to see so many people upgrading their SSV with balls!!

I've been experimenting a bit with the different spherical wands, different whip sizes, and even the all-glass SSV wand from elev8.

I have also been trying the flavor disc with concentrates, but so far the results weren't great. I kept temps at flower temps though...

Vapor Mainline

Vapor (Ent)husiast
wow! awesome to see so many people upgrading their SSV with balls!!

I've been experimenting a bit with the different spherical wands, different whip sizes, and even the all-glass SSV wand from elev8.

I have also been trying the flavor disc with concentrates, but so far the results weren't great. I kept temps at flower temps though...
I have faith that if it can get you contently medicated, then it will work wonders in my household :lol: Thanks for your contributions to the art of vaporization:rockon:

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Does anyone know what the reccomended boro balls on Amazon are? I want to build this but that's the most confusing part. I know I'll need 14mm ddave screens.

Frankly, I don't know if I trust synthetic corundum

invertedisdead

PHASE3
Manufacturer
There are reports of quartz dust. I do not wish to risk it, I would rather use borosilicate. Does the boro I linked look fine to you?

Well as far as risk goes: if there is quartz dust occuring, the chance of borosilicate causing issues would be higher as proper fused quartz is much, much better at thermal management than boro.

arb

Semi shaved ape
There are reports of quartz dust. I do not wish to risk it, I would rather use borosilicate. Does the boro I linked look fine to you?
Boro runs the risk of risk of fusing being softer than quartz.
Also far more likely to"dust"due to being softer seems like?
That link is to a legit supplier so that is what you will get,they are the right size.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Boro runs the risk of risk of fusing being softer than quartz.
Also far more likely to"dust"due to being softer seems like?
That link is to a legit supplier so that is what you will get,they are the right size.
Didn't Troy say that proper boro wouldn't fuse in a recent stream? Also, wouldn't dusting be a property of a harder material?
Edit: If Quartz is better, where can I get it, then, please?
Edit: Found these? https://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/quartz-crystal-spheres.html

Last edited:

Vapor Mainline

Vapor (Ent)husiast

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
I ordered my quartz balls from this site, quick response and shipping. I’ll report once both the vape and the balls arrive :)
Good to know, thank you!

From what I can tell reading: corundum (rose terp balls) has a 9.0 hardness. SiC is a 9.0. Quartz is a 7. Boro a 5.5. Ceramic tile has a hardness of 7, although the particular ceramic in the rod could be harder. What type of glass is around the heater in the SSV?

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Well, if the beads are harder than the glass or ceramic, they could cause microscratches. The glass wasn't designed to have hot beads in it, either.

Ruby is too hard from me, same with SiC, so I guess quartz it is.

androponic

vaped.
borosilicate is fine. you wont need to turn the dial up past noon or else you will combust every time. im sure that turning it all the way up could be too much for some glass types but if you dont need to go there anyway its a non issue. i just wouldnt use soda lime glass since the thermal properties are just way too low.

VapePerson

Searching for Tremendous
Everything can cause microscratches if you're going to look at it under a microscope. How will you stuff the metal screen that holds the balls in place without causing micro scratches?
Stainless steel is a 5 on hardness. It can't scratch quartz and once it's in place it's not an issue. The issue is that the balls will be constantly moving and, if they're harder than their container, will put microscratches into the harder surface and that you will be breathing in dust repeatedly.

Thus, quartz or boro. No gems for me, Sic (perfectly safe elsewhere, though) thank you.

borosilicate is fine. you wont need to turn the dial up past noon or else you will combust every time. im sure that turning it all the way up could be too much for some glass types but if you dont need to go there anyway its a non issue. i just wouldnt use soda lime glass since the thermal properties are just way too low.
Yep, that's what Troy said. I wanted to go for Boro myself but I'll try quartz. Soda lime isn't meant to be heated but I want to be sure I'm getting actual boro. I've done bulk business with the chinese before and it's a nightmare sometimes. I ordered https://www.stachurawholesalegemstones.com/quartz-crystal-spheres.html and I'm thinking about ordering https://store.mo-sci.com/products/gl0179b-3000-10g-3mm-borosilicate-glass-beads, as I partlty believe the sticking is the result of overheating. But I can always transition to boro later I think.
Quartz is better at temp shocking. Quartz has a higher melting point. Quartz will scratch the glass, but not as much as the gems or SiC.

On the other hand, Boro is softer, allegedly the same material as the glass (that wasn't designed to do this), and perfectly heat resistant for this application when sourced correctly. What are those little beads in bongs made of? There's been some discussion on the dab terp pearls.

I know the g43 uses boro. I think this conundrum is why troy is experimenting with a new heater type.

Last edited:
Top Bottom