Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

BoogerMan

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on FC. I've been lurking for years but now that I am a federally licensed medical user in Canada I feel that I can come out of the shadows.

I wanted to share a video I put together showing how I do my solventless extraction using the quick grip clamp. A lot of people are using this method as i'm sure most of you already know.

How to make Solventless Hash Oil (Rosin Tech)
Hey @Jeffrey Dabs. Welcome to the forum!

Very nice video and setup! Good info throughout the vid too.

This video and all other videos others have posted helps shows that you're homemade $50-$100 setup works better than a $335 t shirt press. For now, everyone should be using a vise/clamp/jack for a rosin setup (or pneumatic if you can afford it).

2clicker

Observer
so i did my first press with my new pneumatic setup last night with great results! pressure was def an issue before and is not even a thought now. well other than applying too much pressure, but i should get the hang of its limits after more testing.

i will post some pics later when i can snap some. the finished press looks pretty damn cool. and i can show my press results. im low on material so i wanted to experiment on a small amount. so i pressed .15g of dry flowers. i did this press late night and did not worry about attempting to hydrate the dry flowers in any way. this time around i pressed for 1min 15 secs (had a distraction at the time :nod:) and the return was about double from the hobby vise run. and the puck did not come out sticky at all. it was pretty dry. so i folded it onto itself a couple of times and repressed getting more tasty rosin out, but not as tasty as the first. i was not able to weigh the return because it was still sappy. i was pressing at 200-210F. between the first two presses i got about 1 decent dab and a half maybe. tasted amazing and was very potent. then i pressed again for another min, but got nothing. so i thought the flowers were tapped. to make sure i got all/most of it i crumbled the puck up and put it in my solo. turned it up to 4 and got no vapor. turned it all the way up to 7 and got about 2 - 3 nice pulls before nothing. so there was still some left in there, but i imagine a more hydrated flower and even more pressure would get that last bit out. since this was my first press with this set up i was going easy on the pressure. i tightened her until the jack started to resist and then gave it another full pump. clearly i could keep pumping away so i imagine i only tapped into maybe 1 of the 5 tons the press can put out. moving forward i am going to be using fresher/more moist material and i will be testing the pressure for real. and im already thinking of ways to improve it.

That looks sweet! I've seen some like that with springs on the bottom plate to help release it after the pressing, not sure if it's an issue but something to consider if you run into it.

and run into it i did! so after the press i would turn the pressure relief and it would start to depress the ram all by itself... for about a 1/4" and then stopped. lol

now this isnt a huge deal, but will be a PITA if im trying to do many presses at once. so right now i have to use my hands to push the ram all the way back down. honestly it doesnt need to go all the way back down so for now its fine. i can always presmash the flowers just a bit to get them in there until i can figure out a way to set this thing up with springs like you are talking about. i have a good idea on how to accomplish that already so i will update it to reset the ram after releasing pressure. more to come on this.

Wood is a great insulator and your's look like oak? which has a pretty high crush number.
I have been meaning to buy some of this sheet to try out.
http://www.amazon.com/Phenolic-Sheet-Standard-Tolerance-MIL-I-24768/dp/B00CPRFMK4

if you are worried about crushing the wood, you could embed a small chunk of metal in the middle of the wood to stop the crush, like a 1/2" steel ball bearing or 2? It shouldn't transfer too much heat into your press.

yep that is red oak. its got those magnets embedded in them so maybe that will help with any crushing issues? either way if they get crushed then ill make new insulators. that phenolic sheet looks great! thanks for the link. i wonder how thin of a piece would be similar to the insulating performance of the red oak im using...? if you do get a sheet let me know. i would be interested in a couple of 4" x 1.5" pieces. or maybe i could split it with you? let me know if you do get some. any way to get some #s on their performance. obviously the thinnest that would work for us would be ideal. i wonder if 1/8" thick would work well...?

Nice! I've been looking at pneumatic car jacks as well, but I'm not confident yet to build a frame. Were you able to get 'stats' for how much pressure the frame plates and rods can take? That's where I'm stuck thinking about this direction. Since it's not a traditional vise or press that pushes against itself, I'm nervous about making something strong enough that it pushes against. Yours looks very solid though. Thanks for the pic.

yep its solid and weighs about 45 lbs... lol. the top and bottom plates are 3/8" steel rated with 65,000 PSI tensile strength and 55,000 PSI yield strength. the threaded rods are rated with a 45,000 PSI yield strength and there are 4 of them. id think that is plenty stout to handle the bottle jacks max pressure of 10,000 PSI. and since i really only need to use 3 of the 5tons then we are talking 6,000 PSI. i should be able to pump that fucker until my arm falls off before it ever warps in any way.
Looks sweet brother! I haven't squished anything in weeks now, been exclusively dabbing full melt bubble hashes but I want to step up my rosin setup in a major way soon.

@2clicker. I love your hydraulic setup and wanna see the results as well as ease of construction (I have a scientist and technician background, not a shop class background!) you get with it before I decide on a weiss, pneumatic or hydraulic setup.

I wanna be able to squish nugs an 8th to a quarter at a time ideally. Now that I can make incredible solventless extracts without rosin tek, I need more yields and less effort to justify having a more expensive rosin setup.

Speaking of, I have some epic ideas for plate designs that could achieve this and also direct all of the rosin outside of the heated plates and away from the nugs!

I think when I get some time I need to collab with someone with the metalwork skills like my bro @Joel W. on making this concept a reality! These plate designs I have in mind should work with vise/hydraulic/pneumatic presses :D

thanks partner. coming from such a seasoned hash maker as yourself that means a lot! i purchased the frame parts (plates and threaded rods) in 1' lengths of which were used. so no cutting there which helped. i did however have to drill all the holes in the steel plates. and that was a task no doubt. especially since i was drilling them out with a Milwaukee 18V brushless cordless drill. :rockon: the key here was to use pilot holes and step up each bit a bit to get to the final 1/2" hole. i started with 1/8" then 1/4" then 5/16" and finally the 1/2". so that part took time with using cutting oil and all that jazz. it was fun tho. so ease of construction was semi difficult for me. im no metelworker, but generally pretty handy so i figured it out as i went along. oh and i had to drill 1/4" holes (2 of them) in the base of the jack to mount to the bottom plate. that shit is fucking on there!

ill have updated pics of how it looks with everything installed later tonight. oh and PM me with your new plate ideas if you dont mind. i am already thinking about jb welding 1.5" x 1.5" square pieces of the aluminum plates to the plates im already using. that way i get the benefit of the square plates. or possibly a 1.5" round plates. oh boy... when does this shit ever stop??? :myday:

ixtapa

Just tossing this out there... Aluminum heats up really quickly, right?

If you had two aluminum blocks (maybe 1.5"x1.5"x1"), you could just place them between your plates and put the parchment between the blocks. Friction would hold the blocks in place - especially considering there is no lateral force here. This would resolve the PSI issue for those of you with large plates.

But more importantly, if you tossed the two blocks of aluminum in boiling water for a minute or two, they would soon be at exactly 212F. Dry them off, load your vise, and press - no heating element required. The blocks would likely require reheating between presses, so this might not be the best plan for large scale applications, but for a few quick presses this seems to be a relatively simple solution. Have two sets if need be, one set actively pressing, one set still boiling, and swap them when it's time for a new press.

This method would eliminate the need for power to the press (other than that required for the boiling water), and has the advantage of being very accurate temperature wise. Simple, cheap, accurate.

Again, just a thought.

TankHankerous

Here is the bent handle. I'll probably go buy a vise grip or c clamp and try to bend it back together (the two bars are supposed to be touching, not split apart like that). I would just use the vise I have but you can't remove the handle. All other parts of the press use bolts and this handle uses rivots so without breaking those you can't remove the handle. Everything still functions fine, it just looks strange split apart like that.

SO DO NOT USE A CROW BAR OR PIPE TO GET EXTRA TORQUE ON THE HANDLE!

2253A1A6-4BA8-4419-AAD4-0E18DCBA9BD5_zpsvq4e5so5.jpg

Okay here is the only comparison I will be doing because it is the only comparison needed.

The long parchment on the left is a 0.75g nug pressed twice with the d-nail press at 225F (big one in the center, tiny one near the outside). I got about 0.03g. Complete garbage. The parchment in the bottom right is this same 0.75g nug pressed a 3rd time in my vise and it got 0.02g. The dnail press left so much behind. So sad :cry:

The parchment in the top right is a 0.75g nug of the same strain pressed once using the vise at 225F. I got 0.11g. If I would have pressed it a second time in the vise I probably would have got another 0.03g.

So basically the dnail press yielded around 4% in 2 presses and the vise yielded around 15% in one press. Also note the dnail press left 40% behind in the nug that the @Joel W. vise setup was able to squeeze out.

E30458F2-9199-4F5C-A9EC-EB7B53BE8FFF_zpsbn7lx1al.jpg

No more testing or playing with the dnail press will be done. I'm going to fix the handle then sell it with my set of pocono sifting screens on CL and recommend it be used to press sift for maximum yields (I'm not trying to rip anyone off and claim that it works great with bud because it clearly doesn't from my experience).

Sorry to everyone who spent money one this. I hope you can get it back one way or the other.

The dnail press may work better with hash since not as much pressure is needed (it seems like from bubblemans videos). But I can't say for sure since I won't be trying it.

Awesome post, but damn man.... I was hoping that we would be able to modify the press for more pressure. Looking at your picture on the left, it seems I get a better yield with my trusty hair straightener. It really grinds my gears that D-Nail released a glorified hunk of junk that can't even be improved upon. Even worse, that corporate shill @BCBubbleman continues to defend the inferior press. I look forward to calling @DNailOfficial tomorrow to negotiate a refund.

Sorry to all the good folks that bought into the hype. We deserved better than this.

2clicker

Observer
so i did my first press with my new pneumatic setup last night with great results! pressure was def an issue before and is not even a thought now. well other than applying too much pressure, but i should get the hang of its limits after more testing.

i will post some pics later when i can snap some. the finished press looks pretty damn cool. and i can show my press results. im low on material so i wanted to experiment on a small amount. so i pressed .15g of dry flowers. i did this press late night and did not worry about attempting to hydrate the dry flowers in any way. this time around i pressed for 1min 15 secs (had a distraction at the time :nod:) and the return was about double from the hobby vise run. and the puck did not come out sticky at all. it was pretty dry. so i folded it onto itself a couple of times and repressed getting more tasty rosin out, but not as tasty as the first. i was not able to weigh the return because it was still sappy. i was pressing at 200-210F. between the first two presses i got about 1 decent dab and a half maybe. tasted amazing and was very potent. then i pressed again for another min, but got nothing. so i thought the flowers were tapped. to make sure i got all/most of it i crumbled the puck up and put it in my solo. turned it up to 4 and got no vapor. turned it all the way up to 7 and got about 2 - 3 nice pulls before nothing. so there was still some left in there, but i imagine a more hydrated flower and even more pressure would get that last bit out. since this was my first press with this set up i was going easy on the pressure. i tightened her until the jack started to resist and then gave it another full pump. clearly i could keep pumping away so i imagine i only tapped into maybe 1 of the 5 tons the press can put out. moving forward i am going to be using fresher/more moist material and i will be testing the pressure for real. and im already thinking of ways to improve it.

and run into it i did! so after the press i would turn the pressure relief and it would start to depress the ram all by itself... for about a 1/4" and then stopped. lol

now this isnt a huge deal, but will be a PITA if im trying to do many presses at once. so right now i have to use my hands to push the ram all the way back down. honestly it doesnt need to go all the way back down so for now its fine. i can always presmash the flowers just a bit to get them in there until i can figure out a way to set this thing up with springs like you are talking about. i have a good idea on how to accomplish that already so i will update it to reset the ram after releasing pressure. more to come on this.

yep that is red oak. its got those magnets embedded in them so maybe that will help with any crushing issues? either way if they get crushed then ill make new insulators. that phenolic sheet looks great! thanks for the link. i wonder how thin of a piece would be similar to the insulating performance of the red oak im using...? if you do get a sheet let me know. i would be interested in a couple of 4" x 1.5" pieces. or maybe i could split it with you? let me know if you do get some. any way to get some #s on their performance. obviously the thinnest that would work for us would be ideal. i wonder if 1/8" thick would work well...?

yep its solid and weighs about 45 lbs... lol. the top and bottom plates are 3/8" steel rated with 65,000 PSI tensile strength and 55,000 PSI yield strength. the threaded rods are rated with a 45,000 PSI yield strength and there are 4 of them. id think that is plenty stout to handle the bottle jacks max pressure of 10,000 PSI. and since i really only need to use 3 of the 5tons then we are talking 6,000 PSI. i should be able to pump that fucker until my arm falls off before it ever warps in any way.

thanks partner. coming from such a seasoned hash maker as yourself that means a lot! i purchased the frame parts (plates and threaded rods) in 1' lengths of which were used. so no cutting there which helped. i did however have to drill all the holes in the steel plates. and that was a task no doubt. especially since i was drilling them out with a Milwaukee 18V brushless cordless drill. :rockon: the key here was to use pilot holes and step up each bit a bit to get to the final 1/2" hole. i started with 1/8" then 1/4" then 5/16" and finally the 1/2". so that part took time with using cutting oil and all that jazz. it was fun tho. so ease of construction was semi difficult for me. im no metelworker, but generally pretty handy so i figured it out as i went along. oh and i had to drill 1/4" holes (2 of them) in the base of the jack to mount to the bottom plate. that shit is fucking on there!

ill have updated pics of how it looks with everything installed later tonight. oh and PM me with your new plate ideas if you dont mind. i am already thinking about jb welding 1.5" x 1.5" square pieces of the aluminum plates to the plates im already using. that way i get the benefit of the square plates. or possibly a 1.5" round plates. oh boy... when does this shit ever stop??? :myday:

i just reread this post and noticed i called my press pneumatic... :bang: when it isnt pneumatic at all. its hydraulic. yikes.

yep... i do dabs.

EDIT* im looking at springs for a spring return on the hydraulic ram... how highly rated of a spring would work for my 5ton jack? how would i even figure that?

Last edited:

Monsoon

I wanna be able to squish nugs an 8th to a quarter at a time ideally. Now that I can make incredible solventless extracts without rosin tek, I need more yields and less effort to justify having a more expensive rosin setup.

Speaking of, I have some epic ideas for plate designs that could achieve this and also direct all of the rosin outside of the heated plates and away from the nugs!

You should try to dig up some info on Burrito and Enchilada Techs (love the names, lol) which involve folding the parchment in different ways to direct the flow of rosin outside as quickly as possible. Not exactly sure how the folds are exactly but here's a few videos of them in motion:

EnchiladaTech:
https://instagram.com/p/9Y1dfLsgqq/

BurritoTech:
http://iconosquare.com/p/1104505776407521900_1171172249
http://iconosquare.com/p/1108954240189147216_1171172249
http://iconosquare.com/p/1105547817899789340_1596367050

If you have the space, the most cost effective route for high pressure looks to be hydraulic H-Frame presses like this 20-ton one for just $200.

BoogerMan

If you have the space, the most cost effective route for high pressure looks to be hydraulic H-Frame presses like this 20-ton one for just $200.

Damn you @Monsoon! Just when I thought I was satisfied... That thing is sexy and affordable. Looks like I'll need another set of plates from @Joel W. in the near future :tup:

Just noticed how big it was even though you said it was big lol. I need to figure out how to reorganize my garage to fit this bad boy in there!

Monsoon

Damn you @Monsoon! Just when I thought I was satisfied... That thing is sexy and affordable. Looks like I'll need another set of plates from @Joel W. in the near future :tup:

Just noticed how big it was even though you said it was big lol. I need to figure out how to reorganize my garage to fit this bad boy in there!
There's smaller ones out there too, "jewelry press" gives a lot of smaller options like these ones. The Mini one looks like it would work well for rosin, it uses an 8 Ton bottle jack though it only has 1.75" clearance between the plates for the heaters and the gap. The 20 Ton one for $550 looks like the best choice with the most room to work with, 5x5 surface area for platens and 5" of clearance.

Rosin tek is evolving super fast, kinda crazy when you think that it's only been around since Feb/Mar of this year. Some of the more developed products should be hitting the market soon and I think by this time next year the off-the-shelf options will be a lot better in quality, selection and price.

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
so here is my most current set up w/ everything installed. working on a spring return for it now.

u4xFxjM.jpg

the spring return should make this press very easy to work with and provide well more than enough pressure.

here is a shot of the first press. used .15g of mid grade flower. pretty dry material. first pic is the first press and second pic is the second.

SoEC7av.jpg
PZkJy6F.jpg

There's smaller ones out there too, "jewelry press" gives a lot of smaller options like these ones. The Mini one looks like it would work well for rosin, it uses an 8 Ton bottle jack though it only has 1.75" clearance between the plates for the heaters and the gap. The 20 Ton one for $550 looks like the best choice with the most room to work with, 5x5 surface area for platens and 5" of clearance.

Rosin tek is evolving super fast, kinda crazy when you think that it's only been around since Feb/Mar of this year. Some of the more developed products should be hitting the market soon and I think by this time next year the off-the-shelf options will be a lot better in quality, selection and price.

dont you think that pressure is a bit overkill? or are we talking about these so that they can oress larger plates more efficiently?

regarding spring return on a hydraulic press... how would one determine what rated spring would be ideal for this? from the looks of the springs on manufactured presses they do not appear to be that stout. i wonder what those are rated at. i may reach out to one of the press MFGs and see if they can advise. if anyone else has any input on this inwould greatly appreciate it. @Joel W. @farscaper @BoogerMan @shark sandwich @Monsoon... ? thoughts?

BoogerMan

Thanks for the ideas!

A jewelry press does seem the best for a countertop setup! I just wish they were a little cheaper or that the mini one had more room! The mini seems perfect, but 1.75" is too little of room like you were saying.

After seeing the one from Harbor Frieght, I found this one on Amazon (it is almost half the size of the Harbor Freight one) that I am very much considering. I REALLY like that it comes with a pressure guage! Huge bonus IMO :D

Dake B-10 Model Manual Utility Hydraulic Bench Press, 10 Ton Capacity, 23" Length x 18" Width x 36" Height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DWB1MTM/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_eq4nwb1G0RRSM

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
@2clicker , You might find that 2 of those black industrial bungy straps hooked to one side of your blocks, then taken under your press and hooked to the other side of the blocks might be enough to compress it back down?

@Joel W. i have been considering bungee cords and im sure they would work, but youd have to ensure they dont start to fray or get damaged all the time. a compromised bungee cord could be harmful in this situation. besides i can get the springs cheap and i want it to be professional.

2clicker

Observer
@2clicker Your local hardware mart should have a couple of light springs. It doesn't take much pressure to get the jack to retract, just a bit more than it has on it's own. This is an easy issue - you've got the hard stuff done, and it looks great :)

already ordered the springs, eye bolts, and the plate that they will attach to. should be done by thursday.

thanks for the kind words!

2clicker

Observer
Just got home from work with my D-Nail press waiting at the door. Kudos to the folks at D-Nail for offering to refund the money to my credit card. I am returning to sender, but look forward to seeing what these guys have in store in the future.

nice! great to hear they are willing to help you out.

@Quetzalcoatl... thanks brother! i just wish i had access to all kinds of strains and bubble like yall in more friendly states do.

i should have the spring return parts by tomorrow, but there are some hockey games that i must watch the next couple of nights. so it may postpone the return until thursday.

BoogerMan

Just pulled the trigger on this H press after seeing how clean @2clicker's press is coming out (and thanks @Monsoon for positing this style press. I never knew they even existed!). Should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait to finally know what pressure I'm pressing at (and what true value I actually need to get good yields. No reason to press harder than needed!)

510EAE7D-D4BB-4F16-8D40-DCB3192A2F51_zps9kehx5dc.jpg

I've got 2 new round Cuni plates coming from @Joel W.

I think he is going to weld some tabs to the roundbar so I can use a a hose clamp to attach it to the ram that pushes down. Just need to wait until I have the press to determine the size.

Monsoon

Just pulled the trigger on this H press after seeing how clean @2clicker's press is coming out (and thanks @Monsoon for positing this style press. I never knew they even existed!). Should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait to finally know what pressure I'm pressing at (and what true value I actually need to get good yields. No reason to press harder than needed!)

510EAE7D-D4BB-4F16-8D40-DCB3192A2F51_zps9kehx5dc.jpg

I've got 2 new round Cuni plates coming from @Joel W.

I think he is going to weld some tabs to the roundbar so I can use a a hose clamp to attach it to the ram that pushes down. Just need to wait until I have the press to determine the size.
I think that's going to make a great press and the hydraulic setup is a bit nicer than a bottle jack. The ram is attached a sliding rail, I wonder if you can take advantage of that somehow for pressing.

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
PSA Do not waste your money on gold_ash's rosin screen pouches. The pouches can put yellow fibers into your rosin and are super overpriced.

Extremely Live rosin 180*F press.
fvE8F8h.jpg

Modnote: Edited to display image

Last edited by a moderator:

BoogerMan

I think that's going to make a great press and the hydraulic setup is a bit nicer than a bottle jack. The ram is attached a sliding rail, I wonder if you can take advantage of that somehow for pressing.
Yeah I think it will be great too. The vise is really nice and works amazing, but it takes up about twice the space that this hydraulic press will (mainly because of the table I had to build to bolt the vise down to). If you already have a workbench, the vise is definitely the way to go and the cheapest! If you don't have a workbench and are trying to conserve space, it seems like this H press is the next cheapest (high pressure) setup, and then I'd say one of those jewelry presses is maybe the best as far as small size goes, but they sure cost a lot more than this H press!

Hopefully this new setup will be up and running by mid next week. The press should get here Thursday/Friday and then Joel will modify my new plates to fit this press and those should be here in two days (so maybe Wednesday/Thursday of next week).

I think I'll just use my digital soldering irons for now and set the controller boxes on a table beside the press. I may get the $13 irons that Joel uses since the controller is right on the iron. Then I won't need a table or mount for the digital controller boxes.

I think this will be my last setup for now. I gotta get some stuff for the house, tools, garage shelves or a shed, and I'm trying to get a new car so money will be tight soon! I figure, better spend it while I can haha :D

I can't wait to share. More to come!

EDIT:
PSA Do not waste your money on gold_ash's rosin screen pouches. The pouches can put yellow fibers into your rosin and are super overpriced.

Extremely Live rosin 180*F press.
fvE8F8h.jpg

Modnote: Edited to display image

That looks beatiful @Been Vapin! I can't wait to make me some live rosin!

Is there a reason why you chose 180F or is that what you press all bud at (live and cured)?

How long did you hang dry for before pressing the bud? Was the soil wet, moist, or dry when the plant was chopped?

This will be my first live rosin attempt. Strange OG :cool:
11BF3639-7BF3-4DCC-BEC4-9BF743BD4C0A_zpsm4tblqqv.jpg

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Yeah I think it will be great too. The vise is really nice and works amazing, but it takes up about twice the space that this hydraulic press will (mainly because of the table I had to build to bolt the vise down to). If you already have a workbench, the vise is definitely the way to go and the cheapest! If you don't have a workbench and are trying to conserve space, it seems like this H press is the next cheapest (high pressure) setup, and then I'd say one of those jewelry presses is maybe the best as far as small size goes, but they sure cost a lot more than this H press!

Hopefully this new setup will be up and running by mid next week. The press should get here Thursday/Friday and then Joel will modify my new plates to fit this press and those should be here in two days (so maybe Wednesday/Thursday of next week).

I think I'll just use my digital soldering irons for now and set the controller boxes on a table beside the press. I may get the $13 irons that Joel uses since the controller is right on the iron. Then I won't need a table or mount for the digital controller boxes.

I think this will be my last setup for now. I gotta get some stuff for the house, tools, garage shelves or a shed, and I'm trying to get a new car so money will be tight soon! I figure, better spend it while I can haha :D

I can't wait to share. More to come!

EDIT:

That looks beatiful @Been Vapin! I can't wait to make me some live rosin!

Is there a reason why you chose 180F or is that what you press all bud at (live and cured)?

How long did you hang dry for before pressing the bud? Was the soil wet, moist, or dry when the plant was chopped?

This will be my first live rosin attempt. Strange OG :cool:
11BF3639-7BF3-4DCC-BEC4-9BF743BD4C0A_zpsm4tblqqv.jpg

That stuff was made from hours old scissor and finger hash. The yield was very high. 180*F extracts real nice with high quality hash. A friend recommended the temperature. Can probably even go lower temp with a longer dwell time.

I have not messed with pressing any super fresh flower yet.

Monsoon

Overpriced is probably a given right now but can you back up the fiber contamination with more info? Did it happen to one of your batches or did someone post it on another forum?

I can't wait to see it all setup and the yields you get from it! I rent a small loft type apartment right now, it's a decent size but I need to be careful with my space. I'm leaning towards a small H-Frame press of some type or maybe similar to @2clicker's setup. Big advantage to this setup is that platen designs are still evolving so you can swap them out yourself down the road and there are very few parts, not to mention excellent price to PSI ratio.

randomtoker

Here is the bent handle. I'll probably go buy a vise grip or c clamp and try to bend it back together (the two bars are supposed to be touching, not split apart like that). I would just use the vise I have but you can't remove the handle. All other parts of the press use bolts and this handle uses rivots so without breaking those you can't remove the handle. Everything still functions fine, it just looks strange split apart like that.

SO DO NOT USE A CROW BAR OR PIPE TO GET EXTRA TORQUE ON THE HANDLE!

2253A1A6-4BA8-4419-AAD4-0E18DCBA9BD5_zpsvq4e5so5.jpg

Okay here is the only comparison I will be doing because it is the only comparison needed.

The long parchment on the left is a 0.75g nug pressed twice with the d-nail press at 225F (big one in the center, tiny one near the outside). I got about 0.03g. Complete garbage. The parchment in the bottom right is this same 0.75g nug pressed a 3rd time in my vise and it got 0.02g. The dnail press left so much behind. So sad :cry:

The parchment in the top right is a 0.75g nug of the same strain pressed once using the vise at 225F. I got 0.11g. If I would have pressed it a second time in the vise I probably would have got another 0.03g.

So basically the dnail press yielded around 4% in 2 presses and the vise yielded around 15% in one press. Also note the dnail press left 40% behind in the nug that the @Joel W. vise setup was able to squeeze out.

E30458F2-9199-4F5C-A9EC-EB7B53BE8FFF_zpsbn7lx1al.jpg

No more testing or playing with the dnail press will be done. I'm going to fix the handle then sell it with my set of pocono sifting screens on CL and recommend it be used to press sift for maximum yields (I'm not trying to rip anyone off and claim that it works great with bud because it clearly doesn't from my experience).

Sorry to everyone who spent money one this. I hope you can get it back one way or the other.

The dnail press may work better with hash since not as much pressure is needed (it seems like from bubblemans videos). But I can't say for sure since I won't be trying it.

Thanks for the review and the pics. Should help a lot of people hopefully! And can't wait to see the h-press setup you get going. I had browsed that same press also so I'll be watching your updates. :)

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on FC. I've been lurking for years but now that I am a federally licensed medical user in Canada I feel that I can come out of the shadows.

I wanted to share a video I put together showing how I do my solventless extraction using the quick grip clamp. A lot of people are using this method as i'm sure most of you already know.

How to make Solventless Hash Oil (Rosin Tech)

Hey! Great vid. Lots of great info the whole time, good camera work, and no sucky music! You should get an award for that, extract videos always have such horrible music, but no yours. :)

Awesome! Great to see the results. Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see the new and improved setup with the springs. Keep posting your squash results! :)

Top Bottom