Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Overpriced is probably a given right now but can you back up the fiber contamination with more info? Did it happen to one of your batches or did someone post it on another forum?

I can't wait to see it all setup and the yields you get from it! I rent a small loft type apartment right now, it's a decent size but I need to be careful with my space. I'm leaning towards a small H-Frame press of some type or maybe similar to @2clicker's setup. Big advantage to this setup is that platen designs are still evolving so you can swap them out yourself down the road and there are very few parts, not to mention excellent price to PSI ratio.

This is something I saw firsthand in person. Friend wasted $60 on these. The problem is the material used to stitch the pouches together is fuzzy and can/will become damaged and degraded (even after 1 pressing), basically putting lint in the rosin. Not to mention the strands of filament everywhere from sloppy cuts.

Look at this shit. See what I'm talking about? It's on the outside too.

12139670_909765072451773_632047899_n.jpg

Mod note: Edited to fix image

Last edited by a moderator:

farscaper

so here is my most current set up w/ everything installed. working on a spring return for it now.

u4xFxjM.jpg

the spring return should make this press very easy to work with and provide well more than enough pressure.

here is a shot of the first press. used .15g of mid grade flower. pretty dry material. first pic is the first press and second pic is the second.

SoEC7av.jpg
PZkJy6F.jpg

dont you think that pressure is a bit overkill? or are we talking about these so that they can oress larger plates more efficiently?

regarding spring return on a hydraulic press... how would one determine what rated spring would be ideal for this? from the looks of the springs on manufactured presses they do not appear to be that stout. i wonder what those are rated at. i may reach out to one of the press MFGs and see if they can advise. if anyone else has any input on this inwould greatly appreciate it. @Joel W. @farscaper @BoogerMan @shark sandwich @Monsoon... ? thoughts?
man.... I total have to get one now... thanks alot. :nope:

thought I could be happy with this rinky dink diy but... nope.

I need a parts list here or something.:nod:

i forget to check for a couple days and this happens.

crazy man...:mental:

TankHankerous

Just pulled the trigger on this H press after seeing how clean @2clicker's press is coming out (and thanks @Monsoon for positing this style press. I never knew they even existed!). Should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait to finally know what pressure I'm pressing at (and what true value I actually need to get good yields. No reason to press harder than needed!)

510EAE7D-D4BB-4F16-8D40-DCB3192A2F51_zps9kehx5dc.jpg

I've got 2 new round Cuni plates coming from @Joel W.

I think he is going to weld some tabs to the roundbar so I can use a a hose clamp to attach it to the ram that pushes down. Just need to wait until I have the press to determine the size.

This thing sounds awesome for our needs. I'm unsure of how I would be able to attach temperature controlled heat plates to this device.... I look forward to see what Joel W. has in store. I don't know what a cuni plate is except that its made of copper and nickel. Furthermore, I don't know how to weld anything, but I am willing to learn. Put it this way, I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this stuff but like I said I am willing to put the time in to learn how to do this!

BoogerMan

This thing sounds awesome for our needs. I'm unsure of how I would be able to attach temperature controlled heat plates to this device.... I look forward to see what Joel W. has in store. I don't know what a cuni plate is except that its made of copper and nickel. Furthermore, I don't know how to weld anything, but I am willing to learn. Put it this way, I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this stuff but like I said I am willing to put the time in to learn how to do this!
You got it! Cuni is just copper nickel.

Joel's Cuni plates whether round or square, have holes drilled through them. This allows you to use soldering iron s as the heaters :) or you can tell Joel a specific diameter and he can drill the holes that size to be used with another heat source (other than soldering irons).

One of my roundbar plates will have tabs that stick up that will allow me to slide over the Ram (the black thing on the H press that goes down to apply pressure) and attach it using a hose clamp. I'll probably glue a piece of wood between the ram and the roundbar for insulation. The roundbar plate I use for the bottom will have no tabs (flat on both top and bottom) and will be glued to a piece of wood which will then be glued to one of those black plates you see sitting on the Blue section of the H press. Ill rotate the roundbar plates so that the holes face front to back. I'll slide in the soldering irons through the back so that way they are out of the way (behind the H press) and probably loosely zip tie the power cords to the H frame. The ram only moves 6" max so that means the Cuni roundbar/attached soldering irons will only move 6" max so this should work fine.

It is pretty tough to explain but I'll be able to post pics Thursday or Friday of the H press and my thoughts above. The setup is kind of hard to explain but I got it all worked out in my head :wave: lol

Monsoon

This is something I saw firsthand in person. Friend wasted $60 on these. The problem is the material used to stitch the pouches together is fuzzy and can/will become damaged and degraded (even after 1 pressing), basically putting lint in the rosin. Not to mention the strands of filament everywhere from sloppy cuts.

Look at this shit. See what I'm talking about? It's on the outside too.

12139670_909765072451773_632047899_n.jpg

Mod note: Edited to fix image
That looks bad, did your friend try contacting the vendor about it? Just wondering if maybe it was a bad batch or not. I don't think I've heard any other negative reports on those ones yet but I'll keep my eye out. I've seen a few people mention Mash Mesh as being good, might be worth looking into those.

Furthermore, I don't know how to weld anything, but I am willing to learn. Put it this way, I'm a newbie when it comes to all of this stuff but like I said I am willing to put the time in to learn how to do this!

Best bet is to start with page 1 of this thread and read it straight through to page 76, which is pretty short as far as FC threads go so keep that in mind. I know JB Weld and similar products are covered in the thread and would suit your purposes.

Last edited:

EpicNameGuy

Just pulled the trigger on this H press after seeing how clean @2clicker's press is coming out (and thanks @Monsoon for positing this style press. I never knew they even existed!). Should be here by the end of the week. I can't wait to finally know what pressure I'm pressing at (and what true value I actually need to get good yields. No reason to press harder than needed!)

I think he is going to weld some tabs to the roundbar so I can use a a hose clamp to attach it to the ram that pushes down. Just need to wait until I have the press to determine the size.

Just wanted to say I'm pretty eager to see how this goes.

TankHankerous

Well d nail just got back to me and are in the process of refunding my money for the heat press. Think I'm going with a diy setup using the 12 ton h frame press from harbor freight. Thanks for the demo of how poor the d nail press works @BoogerMan.

I'm glad they aren't stiffing us early adopters. I'll give credit where credit is due, Dan from D-nail couldn't be more accommodating/understanding of our plight. That being said, I'm waiting with baited breath for BoogerMan's foray into the DIY world of manual hydraulic presses! Yeehaw Rosin!

BoogerMan

The press will be here tomorrow as long as UPS doesn't come by while I'm still at work (fingers crossed).

Will post pictures asap!

I may even be impatient and tape my Vise jaws to the H press to test it out while I wait for my new H press jaws to come in next week :D (idk why I say may, I will definitely be doing this as I'm one of the most impatient people when it comes to new toys haha :tup:)

Oh and if anyone else likes black like I do (I'm a sucker for black and white things) here are some all black soldering irons I got for this H press. I'm pretty sure they are the same as the one @Joel W. uses. They look identical at least (I'm assuming all made in China and rebranded for different sellers).

I was going to use my digital ones for the time being, but at $15 each with free 2 day shipping, I decided to get these (it's always good to have extra heaters anyways right? at least that is what I tell myself as justification for the purchase haha :ko:)

Mudder 60W 110V Electrically Adjustable Temperature Welding Soldering Iron - Welding Solder Heat Pencil with 5PCS Different Tips for Variously Repaired Usage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010WJDZD2/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_JbPowb6W9NECZ

618287B8-4976-40AA-AB59-4CA07A98BBB9_zpsrtonow5r.png

growbigorgrowhome

so here is my most current set up w/ everything installed. working on a spring return for it now. what amount of pressure do you get from this?

u4xFxjM.jpg

the spring return should make this press very easy to work with and provide well more than enough pressure.

here is a shot of the first press. used .15g of mid grade flower. pretty dry material. first pic is the first press and second pic is the second.

SoEC7av.jpg
PZkJy6F.jpg

dont you think that pressure is a bit overkill? or are we talking about these so that they can oress larger plates more efficiently?

regarding spring return on a hydraulic press... how would one determine what rated spring would be ideal for this? from the looks of the springs on manufactured presses they do not appear to be that stout. i wonder what those are rated at. i may reach out to one of the press MFGs and see if they can advise. if anyone else has any input on this inwould greatly appreciate it. @Joel W. @farscaper @BoogerMan @shark sandwich @Monsoon... ? thoughts?
whats

BoogerMan

i meant to type, what is the pressure rating on this, sorry for clogging the thread
It is a 5 ton bottle jack. So 10,000 psi max. But it seems like only a few thousand psi is needed for good yields.

The H press I have coming in has a pressure gauge installed (one of the main reasons I bought it) so I'll post many different presses at different pressures :tup:

killick

But I like it!
I don't recall seeing, but has anyone worked out the point at which heat is no longer required? With some of the pressures attainable with some of the setups being considered there might not be that much of a requirement for heat. Just a thought, which I might have been able to work out on my own at one point...

BoogerMan

I don't recall seeing, but has anyone worked out the point at which heat is no longer required? With some of the pressures attainable with some of the setups being considered there might not be that much of a requirement for heat. Just a thought, which I might have been able to work out on my own at one point...
I don't remember seeing it either. I don't think parchment can withstand that much pressure? We need a better collection material.

Also, if we don't use any heat, will the rosin flow as well? It probably will with enough pressure right? But don't we use a little heat to turn some moisture into steam to help the rosin flow? Would enough pressure still turn moisture into steam with no heat?

farscaper

heat and moisture will always be necessary since the principles required to make rosin flow are very similar to steam distillation... the difference is that we are trying to minimize the amount of time the rosin is in contact with heat.

the pressure bit just causes it to move due to the natural tendancy to run away from heat that rosin has. without heat and moisture to carry the rosin away... you end up with results like "my buds are all sticky and glazed but nothing came out".

there is a threshold below which nothing happens at all aside from compressing flowers. no matter how much pressure.

:2c:

killick

But I like it!
@farscaper I realize it requires assistance in the form of heat, moisture, etc at lower pressures. Diamonds form simply from pressure, and given enough pressure the rosin will move. Friction and pressure create their own heat, so I'm kinda wondering at what temp you no longer require heat. A 20 ton press on max perhaps? A buddy (8 hours away, drat) has a 20 ton press from his dads workshop (old, heavy steel, beast) and I'd *love* dropping some bud on that and doing a fully cold press to see what the results are. And in the meantime I sit here wondering where to start my own little squishing adventure :)

farscaper

@farscaper I realize it requires assistance in the form of heat, moisture, etc at lower pressures. Diamonds form simply from pressure, and given enough pressure the rosin will move. Friction and pressure create their own heat, so I'm kinda wondering at what temp you no longer require heat. A 20 ton press on max perhaps? A buddy (8 hours away, drat) has a 20 ton press from his dads workshop (old, heavy steel, beast) and I'd *love* dropping some bud on that and doing a fully cold press to see what the results are. And in the meantime I sit here wondering where to start my own little squishing adventure :)

at what pressure will you be able to generate enough heat to turn moisture into steam with only physical force?

the problem you may encounter will be the sheer resistance of atmospheric pressure. now if one were to lower said pressure to decrease the temperature at which steam is created you could create an atmosphere that would allow moisture to convert into steam and precipitate out of the flowers. that combined with cold pressure you may be able to perform a truly "cold" mechanical extraction... of course this would require you to be able to work... under vacuum pressure.

which is why I suggested the concept of vacuum pressing rosin some pages back... the suggestion was met with some resistance.

lets see if it sparks a new discussion.

2clicker

Observer
man.... I total have to get one now... thanks alot. :nope:

thought I could be happy with this rinky dink diy but... nope.

I need a parts list here or something.:nod:

i forget to check for a couple days and this happens.

crazy man...:mental:

thanks! i can post a list of materials and where they came from. i paid a total of about $70, but i get nice discounts on the materials so id imagine it would be around $120 regular. before tax.

oh i like the looks of this! how much did this run? will be watching your progress with this.

Sexy right?

I'd say @2clicker probably has the nicest, cleanest, made from scratch DIY rosin press so far!

If you search all posts by him, you can see the development of the press :tup:

thanks for the kind words!

i meant to type, what is the pressure rating on this, sorry for clogging the thread

mr booger has it right. 5tons max. so 10,000 lbs. well more than enough. in fact if maxed out its likely way too much.

The H press I have coming in has a pressure gauge installed (one of the main reasons I bought it) so I'll post many different presses at different pressures :tup:

can you link to that h press?

I can tell you that my old parchment paper could not with stand 10 tons of pressure from using my hydraulic press. Even cold, the bud pushed through the paper.

agreed. @shark sandwich advised earlier that 3tons were ideal. although im not sure how he came to that, but it seems pretty damn accurate.

UPDATE*** my spring return parts have arrived and construction on that starts tonight. pics to come.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Instead of parchment, how about titanium foil?
It comes in many different thicknesses, and is affordable.
No worries about contamination, and it might allow very high pressure/very low temp presses to preserve terps.

If bought thin enough to bend, even absolute shatter that wants to ping away could be gathered with ease.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/windscreens.html

Monsoon

the problem you may encounter will be the sheer resistance of atmospheric pressure. now if one were to lower said pressure to decrease the temperature at which steam is created you could create an atmosphere that would allow moisture to convert into steam and precipitate out of the flowers. that combined with cold pressure you may be able to perform a truly "cold" mechanical extraction... of course this would require you to be able to work... under vacuum pressure.

which is why I suggested the concept of vacuum pressing rosin some pages back... the suggestion was met with some resistance.

lets see if it sparks a new discussion.
I think I've seen vacuum pressing come up in the Facebook group too, I guess the problem right now is actually making such a setup. I'm sure it's doable but I don't think it will be cheap or easy. I'm thinking the easiest way to do it right now is with a smaller version of this and a spacesuit so you can be in the room under vacuum.

farscaper

I think I've seen vacuum pressing come up in the Facebook group too, I guess the problem right now is actually making such a setup. I'm sure it's doable but I don't think it will be cheap or easy. I'm thinking the easiest way to do it right now is with a smaller version of this and a spacesuit so you can be in the room under vacuum.
it would only need to be a chamber big enough to fit something like @2clicker or @BoogerMan type press...

technically @2clickers design is just 3 walls a door and pressure seals away from being a functional design. just need a pump to pull vacuum with.

you dont need to be in vacuum... just your press environment does.

Copacetic

Somewhere North of The Wall
Surely a vacuum would cause delicate terps to boil off more readily?

It had crossed my mind that positive pressure during a press might help to preserve them, but this wouldn't help the 'steam extraction' aspect of squishing.

And no disrespect to others who almost certainly have better knowledge/experience than me, but I remain highly sceptical of the role in moisture /steam 'pushing out' the rosin.

I readily believe that material humidity plays a big part, but the temps required to produce steam/vapour would surely boil off terps (and maybe THC too?).

Take my contribution here with a metric tonne of salt, and all that.

Top Bottom