• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

darkrom

Great Scott!
Have you guys seen the "rosin technique" yet? Before I forget to give credit this is from @soilgrown on instagram.

Basically you take a flat iron or hair iron, place a bud in parchment paper, press really hard on the hair iron to sandwich the bud for 3-5 seconds, let it cool, and the oil will be stuck to the paper while the bud stays compressed to itself.

I know this sounds insane but just check it out. Its been flying around the internet for the last 24 hours.

I'll be buying an iron today at some point and getting to pressing out some solventless. It looks REALLY good and I can't believe something so simple is just now being discovered.

Enjoy!

z9

I've seen the Rosin technique used to extract the goods out of low quality hash, but haven't seen it applied this way for buds. Since you've been reading about it @darkrom

Can you link me to a video of it being made? Or post a lot of pictures when you make it yourself?
What temperature is ideal for this method? Will I decarb the majority of my yield during the extraction? I'd like to minimize the vaporization of my material during the extraction.
How is it pure enough to be dabbed like @soilgrown does? It seems like a lot of plant matter would make its way into the oil
Is the approximate yield comparable to solvent-based extractions?

While I don't have enough material for testing as of now it seems like a clothes/wax iron and griddle/stove would make a good enough surface for a test run. I'm having a hard time justifying doing this over simply vaporizing my bud, although it would allow me more possibilities for use. Use the oil when I need to be high-functioning and vaporize the extracted flowers for couch-lock and sleep.

Thanks

Bouldorado

I've seen the Rosin technique used to extract the goods out of low quality hash, but haven't seen it applied this way for buds. Since you've been reading about it @darkrom

Can you link me to a video of it being made? Or post a lot of pictures when you make it yourself?
What temperature is ideal for this method? Will I decarb the majority of my yield during the extraction? I'd like to minimize the vaporization of my material during the extraction.
How is it pure enough to be dabbed like @soilgrown does? It seems like a lot of plant matter would make its way into the oil

While I don't have enough material for testing as of now it seems like a clothes/wax iron and griddle/stove would make a good enough surface for a test run. I'm having a hard time justifying doing this over simply vaporizing my bud, although it would allow me more possibilities for use. Use the oil when I need to be high-functioning and vaporize the extracted flowers for couch-lock and sleep.

Thanks

I've been looking into this lately. Sounds like the THC is mostly safe from decarb as it's only exposed to heat for a few seconds. This thread on ICMAG goes into detail, but it's basically a dry distillation. The trichomes break and melt onto the glass/parchment while the plant matter is unmolested. You just scrape up the melted trichomes (the rosin) and discard the plant matter. I tried the method on ICMAG (using bubble hash) but it didn't work (either due to my method and/or my material).

Sounds like higher temps are needed; probably 250°+. Soilgrown claims 17% yield for some runs, but he's had a lot of practice.

Rizzalso

Just ordered a flat iron off of Amazon. Should be here Friday!

Here's a link, and it's the same model that soilgrown used in his video: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB8ZHIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

Soilgrown says to keep the temp between 350F and 400F. The lower temp produces more of a shatter-like oil, while the higher temps produce a more sap-like oil.

Wouldn't let me embed the instagram video, so I made a gif!

http://i.imgur.com/VEKVWa6.gifv

2clicker

Observer
whoa...

wouldnt there still be a decent amount left in the flowers...? all smashed in there?

i suppose a you could always wash the leftover. looks like ima have to try this out.

you could do this with Slick Sheet instead of pachment.... hmmmm

@darkrom, not to be a pest, but when will you be trying this?

what about grinding the material first?

Last edited:

Been Vapin

Fringe Class
Edit 2: due to my selective reading I Completely missed the flower part. I have a two flat irons waiting on !e but out of parchment paper. I will report back.

Rosin has been on the Internet for a good amount of years. It's been years since I have made it though. The most rosin I ever yielded at one time was maybe 9 grams from 14 grams of bubble? Then I take the remaining hash and make it into edibles or give it away.
S
Edit. Just flipped through the rosin thread. Can't believe its been 9 years. Crazy how time flies.

The high from rosin is a different high. Very clear and clean.
I use a Pyrex dish on top of a boiling pot of water. Once it hits boiling I pull it off the burner and start smearing with a spoon.

A word of warning: heat and pressure from making rosin can result in blisters on your fingers

Could also be a method to refine bubble possibly?

Yep I used to do it with all the bubble I didn't like the quality of. You can make it with any type of hash as long it is not green or made with solvents (bho, I so, qwet etc).some people use a iron or sandwich press to do larger amounts.

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
ill be honest. i am VERY excited about the possibility of processing quick and cheap solventless extracts in a DIY setting.

the idea of just keeping flowers on hand and running individual nugs when dabs are wanted sounds great! esp considering it takes seconds to extract.

game changer...?

Been Vapin

Fringe Class

Thanks

I did it @ 300F or maximum temp on this model. I went ahead and chopped up my starting material and tossed some into the Herbalizer. Tasted way better than expected and had plenty output of medicating vapor. Filled multiple bags at different temps no problem. When making flower rosin one can smell some terpenes cooking off for sure.

The oil is surprisingly clean of plant material to the naked eye.

I might try to do a griddle with a clothes iron. A 1 inch flat iron ain't cutting it.

It should work very well with kief.

ill be honest. i am VERY excited about the possibility of processing quick and cheap solventless extracts in a DIY setting.

the idea of just keeping flowers on hand and running individual nugs when dabs are wanted sounds great! esp considering it takes seconds to extract.

game changer...?
game-changer.jpg

2clicker

Observer
I did it @ 300F or maximum temp on this model. I went ahead and chopped up my starting material and tossed some into the Herbalizer. Tasted way better than expected and had plenty output of medicating vapor. Filled multiple bags at different temps no problem. When making flower rosin one can smell some terpenes cooking off for sure.

The oil is surprisingly clean of plant material to the naked eye.

when you said "I went ahead and chopped up my starting material and tossed some into the Herbalizer"... did you mean after you extracted it to see how much was left over in the flowers?

hishighness

Just ordered a flat iron off of Amazon. Should be here Friday!

Here's a link, and it's the same model that soilgrown used in his video: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BB8ZHIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Soilgrown says to keep the temp between 350F and 400F. The lower temp produces more of a shatter-like oil, while the higher temps produce a more sap-like oil.

Wouldn't let me embed the instagram video, so I made a gif!

http://i.imgur.com/VEKVWa6.gifv
bahahaha holy shit dude that's too funny. if i had seen this at some dudes house and he just started ironing his buds id be like this guy is a legit retarded person but I guess if it works it works. I second the question asked above, why aren't there like a million little bits of leaf/kief stuck in the oil? gunna tell my girl to bring over her hair iron and see how this works

Bouldorado

Rosin has been on the Internet for a good amount of years. It's been years since I have made it though. The most rosin I ever yielded at one time was maybe 9 grams from 14 grams of bubble? Then I take the remaining hash and make it into edibles or give it away.

I use a Pyrex dish on top of a boiling pot of water. Once it hits boiling I pull it off the burner and start smearing with a spoon.

A word of warning: heat and pressure from making rosin can result in blisters on your fingers

did you use pressed bubble for that?

darkrom

Great Scott!
Ripped through 3-4 grams, not even a smudge of oil. Tried 3-4 strains too so idk wtf is going on :(

Needless to say I need to take a break to figure out what I can possibly be doing wrong. Very sad to waste an 8th. So much for easy. Really disappointed at how much I just wasted.

2clicker

Observer
Ripped through 3-4 grams, not even a smudge of oil. Tried 3-4 strains too so idk wtf is going on :(

Needless to say I need to take a break to figure out what I can possibly be doing wrong. Very sad to waste an 8th. So much for easy. Really disappointed at how much I just wasted.

oh no!!! my condolences.

i wonder if the video was legit...? could there have been oil on that parchment before the "extraction". just my first thought.

Bouldorado

I think the trick is using a shit ton of pressure. That soilgrown guy says he's using a printing press- which'll put down way more psi than a hair iron.

Someone on ICMAG posted this yesterday:

"I pressed a few grams of GSC with a flat iron in between folded pieces of parchment. Iron was 350f-ish and i pressed as hard as i could for 3-5 seconds. After I oiled up 5 pieces of paper I took a dabber and rubbed it back and forth across the rosin on the paper. It collected on the dabber. Gonna go buy 2 new irons today. One for me and one to replace my wifes that I destroyed last night.
biglaugh.gif
"

darkrom

Great Scott!
I was thinking pressure too.

I doubt its a fake its all over the internet. It would be the biggest conspiracy since they pretended to land on the moon....wait....

I really don't know. I can try more pressure but I wish someone else would take one for the team haha.

EDIT: Tried a little more. Saw maybe half a small dab at one point, but re-pressed instead of scraping and lost it. I'm done for now. Me and my friend seem to be the only ones having no luck right now.

Last edited:

mestizo

My thinking will be that the melted oil is going to stick back onto the bud, not the paper.
I haven't seen the video, but in theory it doesn't seem possible to me.

2clicker

Observer
My thinking will be that the melted oil is going to stick back onto the bud, not the paper.
I haven't seen the video, but in theory it doesn't seem possible to me.

this was my initial thought, but after seeing the video i was excited. in the video it looks like the oil is left in a circle pattern AROUND where the flower patty was. almost like it forced it outward and away from the herb...?

i probably should watch it again. i agree i do not see how the oil doesnt just harden onto the flat nug.

Top Bottom