Rosin Technique....Easy DIY Solventless

Monsoon

Agreed brother, man I'm surprised at how quickly stoners can lose their tempers lol
I have a feeling a lot of them haven't gone through the pre-order rodeo before. I've done several, they're nearly always late due this or that especially if it's the first run and most companies handle it poorly. So far D-Nail seems to have handled it better than most and while it might not seem like much, freebies and a signed apology letter is better than what you'll get from most companies.

weenstoned

I think people would be less disappointed if it came out on time. Considering it was delayed a bunch I don't think it would have been crazy to delay again and release a more effective press. That said I didn't order so it doesn't matter to me really.

EpicNameGuy

Idk, I didn't get in on the preorder because in general I just haven't jumped on the d-nail wagon myself. Just a personal decision. But I think people are equal parts upset about the delay as well as the lackluster performance for what you pay for.

I don't think many would have minded waiting if the product was actually great. The consensus seems to be the product is ok at best, without regard to cost or other options.

Unfortunately, being an early adopter stinks sometimes. In this case, from an outsider's perspective, it came across like D-Nail used it's sterling reputation for quality to get sales on a unit that they really either didn't know how it would work in reality or did know but wanted to at least get some money back on the R&D.

I guess it does boil down to accepting personal responsibility for making the decision to purchase something without a proven track record. However, this is a perfect example of how a brand does not translate to quality necessarily. Spend your hard earned money more carefully or just accept the gamble that it is.

I do think people had a somewhat fair expectation of quality and function seeing as how D-nail has built a brand based around being top quality. However, it's their brand to tarnish and certainly there are folks who will change their mind about d-nail after this.

Such is the nature of the game.

On the other hand, no one seems to be slinging the proper equipment off-the-shelf at any given scale so that tells you something about where everyone's at on the supply side.

Still hoping an off-the-shelf option that isn't ludicrously expensive. We'll see.

BoogerMan

Idk, I didn't get in on the preorder because in general I just haven't jumped on the d-nail wagon myself. Just a personal decision. But I think people are equal parts upset about the delay as well as the lackluster performance for what you pay for.

I don't think many would have minded waiting if the product was actually great. The consensus seems to be the product is ok at best, without regard to cost or other options.

Unfortunately, being an early adopter stinks sometimes. In this case, from an outsider's perspective, it came across like D-Nail used it's sterling reputation for quality to get sales on a unit that they really either didn't know how it would work in reality or did know but wanted to at least get some money back on the R&D.

I guess it does boil down to accepting personal responsibility for making the decision to purchase something without a proven track record. However, this is a perfect example of how a brand does not translate to quality necessarily. Spend your hard earned money more carefully or just accept the gamble that it is.

I do think people had a somewhat fair expectation of quality and function seeing as how D-nail has built a brand based around being top quality. However, it's their brand to tarnish and certainly there are folks who will change their mind about d-nail after this.

Such is the nature of the game.

On the other hand, no one seems to be slinging the proper equipment off-the-shelf at any given scale so that tells you something about where everyone's at on the supply side.

Still hoping an off-the-shelf option that isn't ludicrously expensive. We'll see.
According to Dan's IG, The-Rosinator pneumatic press should be available in about a week or less. It's supposed to be fairly affordable and work better than all other current off the shelf manual presses.

I don't like how big the squishing plates are but maybe he will offer smaller plates? Or maybe some could be made?

I still don't think it will beat @Joel W.'s plates in a vise (especially since the rosin cant escape the heat in the pneumatic press, unless extra small plates are available), but I guess I'll have to get one to do a comparison as long as they are affordable like said. This may be the first successful off the shelf press. We will see soon enough!

http://the-rosinator.com

http://instagram.com/the_rosinator

Joel W.

Deplorable Basement Dweller
Accessory Maker
Does your press use silicone carbide as the plate material (like the D-nail presses)? Are the temps of plates independently controlled (like the D-nail press)? Obviously, different materials and design can make something that looks the same function very differently.

This is the only reason I pulled the trigger on the Dnail press.

Only to find out later, they are just aluminum Teflon coated plates, like every T-shirt press out there.

Edit: I take full responsibility for my own actions here. ;)

Last edited:

weenstoned

Still, one cannot blame that on the manufacturer of the original press, a beta item that was purchased (beta does mean it is a test product, not a final release - if you expect perfection with a beta product, you will forever be disappointed!).

Part of the beta testing process is to discover problems and you're right that expecting perfection is unreasonable, but shipping a product with known issues is a violation of this process imo. If there's a problem then fix it first don't just say buy another clamp.

2clicker

Observer

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass
I figure the d nail press will at least be good for pushing big slabs through a screen for a secondary clean up after squishing buds even if it isn't great for an initial press. We only paid slightly more than the same model t shirt and got a second pid setup and heat plate. I still plan on trying to get mine to work out. Got a Bubble Now and Pollen Master here waiting on batch 2 of the pre-orders :)

randomtoker

Unfortunately, one of the biggest axioms in commercial business is "mine the miners". :(

We can see it in play here with the capitalization of rosin making products by several companies who are simply re-branding inadequate equipment from clothing image heat presses. It all obviously "works" but it's not state of any art by any stretch. The problem is that nowadays it's so easy to make a flashy website, order a bunch of equipment wholesale, rush it to market, make some hype videos, and brand it all like it's a "thing".

It has been interesting to see how fast everything moves. How fast companies capitalized on re-branding clothing presses, and how fast the concept of a large plate with inadequate pressure became irrelevant before the early "products" even shipped.

I see the direction that @Joel W. is going in as way more logical (small contact point, rosin pressed out of heat zone, high pressure, low heat, long press). Perhaps these t-shirt presses can be somehow re-purposed to function in that way? Either way, it will be exciting to see more people's hands on experiences and what mods people will perform on these t-shirt presses after they've started using them to further progress things. Keep us informed! :)

**EDIT: I read this one a few days back and it convinced me against big plates:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/3p9np9/i_ordered_a_tshirt_press_heres_my_thoughts/

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
**EDIT: I read this one a few days back and it convinced me against big plates:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rosin/comments/3p9np9/i_ordered_a_tshirt_press_heres_my_thoughts/

i was reading through some reddit posts and saw one press that was up to 6tons... or 1200lbs of pressure. isnt that too much? wont that force rosin into the parchment like @farscaper spoke about?

my 5ton hydraulic press should be finished and up and squishing tomorrow. i am very confident that it will perform WAY better than my little hobby vise.

btw... i think that large plate presses will be as efficient as small plate presses just as soon as they can match the lbs per inch of pressure.

exciting times!

BoogerMan

i was reading through some reddit posts and saw one press that was up to 6tons... or 1200lbs of pressure. isnt that too much? wont that force rosin into the parchment like @farscaper spoke about?

my 5ton hydraulic press should be finished and up and squishing tomorrow. i am very confident that it will perform WAY better than my little hobby vise.

btw... i think that large plate presses will be as efficient as small plate presses just as soon as they can match the lbs per inch of pressure.

exciting times!
Yeah I think 3 tons or 6,000 lbs of pressure has been deemed sufficient.

Joel W.

Accessory Maker

I am going to use 4000psi for this experiment.

1"x1" = 1 square inch x needed pressure of 4000psi = 4000 pounds of pressure

5"x5" = 25 square inches x needed pressure of 4000psi = 100,000 pounds of pressure

15"x15" = 225 square inches x needed pressure of 4000psi = 900,000 pounds of pressure

I suck at math so feel free to correct me. ;)

Last edited:

BoogerMan

5"x5" = 25 square inches x needed pressure of 4000psi = 100,000 pounds of pressure

15"x15" = 225 square inches x needed pressure of 4000psi = 900,000 pounds of pressure

I suck at math so feel free to correct me. ;)
Seems right to me.

So all we need is a semi truck (about 80,000 lbs) for our 5x5" d-nail press? Perfect I'll just go ask a guy down the street if I can borrow his 18 wheeler to make some rosin :rofl:

@Joel W. have you figured out the pressure on the roundbar plates using 30 ft lbs? Are we even able to calculate psi with the info we know (surface area of a circle and 30 ft lbs of torque)?

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
@Joel W. have you figured out the pressure on the roundbar plates using 30 ft lbs? Are we even able to calculate psi with the info we know (surface area of a circle and 30 ft lbs of torque)?

I am only guestimating that this info, from Kurt's vise website, is pretty universal when it comes to milling vises.
  • MANUAL VISE CLAMPING FORCE-LBS.
    Torque Ft.-Lbs.
  • 10 - 1129
  • 20 - 2242
  • 30 - 3337
  • 40 - 4148
  • 50 - 5379
  • 60 - 6310
  • 70 - 6977
  • 80 - 7968

farscaper

Seems right to me.

So all we need is a semi truck (about 80,000 lbs) for our 5x5" d-nail press? Perfect I'll just go ask a guy down the street if I can borrow his 18 wheeler to make some rosin :rofl:

for 2" diameter round plates use
PI×(diameter÷2)
so the 2" diameter plates have a surface area of 3.14"sq

a 1.25" diameter plate would give you a 1.96"sq plate if your trying to get close to a perfect 2"sq plate.
which is more along the lines of where I would seek to be.

MileHighLife

Blower of glass, grower of grass

Seems a bit excessive to use 4000 lbs per square inch. I remember a few vice grip/c clamp setups that were getting good yields.

BoogerMan

Wow so I am only clamping at about 1,000 psi. Not nearly as much as I thought we needed to be at.

But then the debate about surface area of the nug vs surface area of the plates comes into play.

Either way, 30 ft lbs on my torque wrench seems sufficient enough to get all the resin out in 2 20ish second presses.

Joel W.

Accessory Maker
Seems a bit excessive. I remember a few vice grip/c clamp setups that were getting good yields.

You may be right, I have gotten excellent yields with a hair iron also with or without a vise but my pucks were always still sticky..

If I am trying to press a puck that is 15" x 15", I think I am close in my math.

Edit: Even if we change it to 1000psi needed, a 5"x5" still needs 25,000 pounds of pressure and 15"x15" needs 225,000 pounds of pressure.

If we press a 1" puck in a 15"x 15" plates, all the forces should be on the 1" puck so only 1000-4000 pounds of force is needed.

Last edited:

herbivore21

Part of the beta testing process is to discover problems and you're right that expecting perfection is unreasonable, but shipping a product with known issues is a violation of this process imo. If there's a problem then fix it first don't just say buy another clamp.
Perhaps man, but the performance was known, it is clearly acceptable to a number of users (bubbleman, 2clicker for examples) and it functions as advertised.

Suggesting that a clamp could further improve performance is not the same as suggesting that there is a problem, given that noone ever suggested that you would get the goods out with one squish on one of these presses in the first place. The use of a clamp suggestion simply increases performance, rather than rectifying a problem as such.

EDIT: @Joel W. I too was thrown by the sic plates not being used on this run in the end, however, I communicated this info here as soon as I knew this to be the case which iirc was not long after I mentioned sic plates.

This press situation has actually set me back even though I didn't order one, since the delays have also delayed normal dnail orders this week and I have not been able to order a replacement extended life (irony) flat heater coil for my one that died unexpectedly last week (after less than a months use, it is of course being replaced under warranty).

Last edited:

2clicker

Observer
this may sound dumb, but os there a way to measure what psi or clamping force you are getting from a specific setup?

like is there a meter that can be pressed to tell this?

im wanting to know how many pumps on my hydraulic jack are needed to get to the to the pressure that is ideal.

again i dont know of anything like this but figured it couldnt hurt to ask.

Perhaps man, but the performance was known, it is clearly acceptable to a number of users (bubbleman, 2clicker for examples) and it functions as advertised.

just wanted to add... i do not have a dnail press. im going with a DIY hydraulic press.

Top Bottom