Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

fail

lwien said:
fail said:
lwien said:
Haha, that's a cool idea to put the PD inside a koozie. Thumbs Up!
Uh..........koozie's will keep cold things colder and hot things hotter. I thought you wanted to keep things on the cooler side? If you put a koozie on a PD, it will run warmer.
Your initial thought was correct. You must be thinking that I am a peasant and don't understand that koozie will get the PD warm. It is not so.
I will assume that your fuzzy thoughts are a result of beeing in contact with a lot of complete donkeys in your surrounding.

fail,

lwien

fail said:
lwien said:
fail said:
Uh..........koozie's will keep cold things colder and hot things hotter. I thought you wanted to keep things on the cooler side? If you put a koozie on a PD, it will run warmer.
Your initial thought was correct. You must be thinking that I am a peasant and don't understand that koozie will get the PD warm. It is not so.
I will assume that your fuzzy thoughts are a result of beeing in contact with a lot of complete donkeys in your surrounding.
Wow. And here all this time, I thought I was just trying to help. Hell, you didn't know what a koozie was until you asked, and I posted up that link, so it was also a safe assumption that you may also not know how it works especially being that you said in your posts above that the koozie was a great idea while also stating that you like your PD to run on the cooler side back in post #142.

But yeah, my thoughts do get fuzzy at times, but believe me, it has nothing to do with donkeys. :cool:

lwien,

fail

lwien said:
fail said:
lwien said:
Wow. And here all this time, I thought I was just trying to help. Hell, you didn't know what a koozie was until you asked, and I posted up that link, so it was also a safe assumption that you may also not know how it works especially being that you said in your posts above that the koozie was a great idea while also stating that you like your PD to run on the cooler side back in post #142.

But yeah, my thoughts do get fuzzy at times, but believe me, it has nothing to do with donkeys. :cool:
Again, you make too much "safe assumptions" which lead you the wrong way. Look again at my original post:
Now, if you try to analyze this short post you will see that there is no mention of me planning to use the koozie myself. But, nevertheless you made a "safe assumption" that I am planning to use the koozie to COOL DOWN the PD.

No need to crap the thread any more with this nonsense. Lets assume that everyting is OK and we all do the things in the correct way.

fail,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
So I went out today to purchase a soldering iron even though I still have anywhere between a 2-4 week wait left. I'm just so excited. I believe a 1 ft ROHS lead free solder wire comes with the kit but I ended up buying a small roll of lead-free solder in case I ever need to use my iron for another task. I would be hesitant to use the wire on the pd simply because I feel safer knowing the wire im getting with the kit is ROHS compliant. Thanks tom for making me so confident in the safety of this vape.

The wait will keep me anxious but the arrival will be well worth it. I will be sure to post a thorough review of the build process, final product.. and oh, of course, the alder wood itself.

HighSti,

Lo

Combustion free since '09
Hey High! You might want to grab some Elmers Carpenter's Glue too while you wait if you have none. The solder comes with the kit. The glue was the thing I had to buy, husband had every kind of glue, paste & putty except the wood stuff I needed lol!

Good luck!

Lo,

Purple-Days

I think Elmer's Carpenters Glue is the best (for me) but Titebond II and Gorilla Wood Glue will work fine, even Elmer's white Glue-All will work but the wood glues are stronger. Good glue is useful around the house.

Yep, I send plenty of solder for the project. Everything is the same stuff I have used since the beginning, all RoHS. Expensive stuff, but worth every penny for the confidence.

I ruined one of the 7 Alder bodies, at the drill press yesterday. :bang: It happens. Nice pencil holder now. :hmm:

Purple-Days,

t00fatt

This was posted over on the RC heli forums I visit, and even ordered one for myself as a spare/second soldering station. If you guys that order a pandora also need a soldering iron, this one is quite good and costs about the same as a standard iron but includes a variable temp station. Which is nice especially for working with silver solder, as you can crank the heat up to 40w, and when it comes time to make repairs on something the requires less heat you can turn it down. Only problem with this station is the dial does not have any temperature markings, so if your gonna use it for SMD stuff or anything temperature sensitive you should verify the temp and adjust it accordingly. So if you need to spend $15 on a soldering iron, I would go for this one. If you can spend $50+ get yourself a weller station, mine has been going strong for years with a lot of use.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=374-100
374-100_s.jpg

t00fatt,

tuttle

Purple-Days said:
I ruined one of the 7 Alder bodies, at the drill press yesterday. :bang: It happens. Nice pencil holder now. :hmm:
As long as you don't ruin a finger in the process all is good :) You can buy more wood.

tuttle,

Purple-Days

I'm pretty careful in the shop. I respect the tools. Safety first. Eye gear always, dust collection and protection, hearing protection, gloves when needed etc...

I gotta show my ghetto 'noise cancelling' stereo headphones some day. :lol: Where is that camera when you want it?

Purple-Days,
Purple-Days said:
GASP!! Not one of the gorgeous alders!!..... Good thing you are dealing with the "hard parts". I'd probably only come out with 2 out of 7 good, or something.
Yeah, alder is the softer of the exotics I think. I've used to have an electric guitar made out of alder, and it would get little dents in it every once in a while. My mexican fender jazz bass, on the other hand, has an ash body which is hard as a rock, and has great sustain to match. It's probably why the ash PDP runs a few degrees cooler.
I can't wait to get my alder PDP. Tom, make sure you send me a pretty one. It shouldn't be hard, because I bet they are all pretty. Thanks.

SkeletonLips,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
wow I feel kinda special knowing one of those 7 alder bodies is supposed to be mine.. although I really hope the one that broke wasn't supposed to be mine because the additional wait time would really mess with me head. :ko:

And yeah, while I was at home depot the other day getting my soldering iron and ring pliers, I thought I was missing something but couldn't quite put a finger on it. When I got home, I realized I didn't get any wood glue.. :p I got some time left though so when I get a chance I'm going to get that elmer's wood glue as Ive used it to make cutting boards, bowls, etc in the past and let me tell you something.. that stuff is STRONG. I mean I don't think I could break the bonds unless I used a hammer.. even then, I think I would crack the wood before I broke the glue bonds.

HighSti,

tuttle

Purple-Days said:
Eye gear always, dust collection and protection, hearing protection, gloves when needed etc...
Please be careful with the gloves. I have done my tour of duty as a carpenter for long enough to see glove entanglement in power tools. I know often times it is a catch 22 (for instance working with wenge, a splinter will swell your hand right up), but when working with power tools, I would recommend gloves and loose clothing off, and if you have to wear your wedding ring, wear it around your neck tucked into your shirt in such a fashion that it will not slip out (obviously in your pocket or some other safe place is better).

I have no doubts that you are careful, and sorry if this comes off as preachy, I don't mean to be; its just that I still have nightmares over some of the shop incidents I have seen :o

Back on topic, I still covet the opportunity to build and finish one of these guys, I just don't have the funds to do so right now. But I love reading how people's builds are going :)

tuttle,
HighSti said:
Purple-Days said:
wow I feel kinda special knowing one of those 7 alder bodies is supposed to be mine..
Me too. It's so neat getting these little updates about my future little wooden buddy.

SkeletonLips,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
SkeletonLips said:
Me too. It's so neat getting these little updates about my future little wooden buddy.
I really hope Im united with my buddy soon. Although I know the longer I wait, the more time and care tom is putting into it.

I still need to send tom a postcard for the 420 contest because I keep forgetting. Hopefully it gets there in time. I would be nice to have two special PDs.

HighSti,
Yep, I have no problem with Tom taking his time, because I know it'll be quality based on his reputation. Plus I have my WDZ to tide me over, unlike your poor soul. I know you'll love your "log-style" vape (what I call 'em.), because they are out of this world, and I have become obsessed with this style vape. I can't wait to build it... Yes, I can...No, I can't....Yes, I can.....lol

SkeletonLips,

Purple-Days

Tuttle, you sound just like me. (and probably break a rule or two, just like me). That's why I said 'when needed', not all the time, they can certainly be a hazard..

Gloves can be a big risk around a spinning forstner bit, but when you are aware of the risk and respect it, you keep your hand out of the chopper.

I have been working with wood since the mid '60s. Made my living as a Carpenter for a very long time. I have seen a few 'shop' mishaps in industry. None were pretty and almost all were stupid. Like I said 'Safety First'. Doesn't mean I can't make a mistake or do something stupid. :cool:

Did you know Neil Armstong (the first man on the Moon) almost lost his ring finger on the storm door handle of his front door. Rings can be a hazard.

Shirt tails, sleeves, long hair (I ain't got none). Long hair is a great one too because of static. It will draw hair right into a machine. I-pod wires are another item to watch for, careful routing through a garment is worth the trouble.

Alder is used for most American Strats. Swamp Ash is the other wood they use. I purposely choose Alder for my Strat (and a rosewood fretboard) for the warmer tones. Swamp Ash is harder and brighter in tone. Swamp Ash would make the better Country Western guitar, Alder more for blues, according to those that know. White Ash is the wood we have available, it is used for baseball bats by Louisville Slugger. Hickory is an interesting hardwood I would like to try sometime, very interesting colors and grains.

Alder was pretty wasteful to start with and loosing another body sucked. But, it won't delay anyone. Pandora fulfillment is on track. ;)

Purple-Days,
Yep, bright twangy tones for country western, and warm full tones for blues. Sounds about right. Keep on rockin', Tom.

SkeletonLips,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
Purple-Days said:
. Hickory is an interesting hardwood I would like to try sometime, very interesting colors and grains.

Alder was pretty wasteful to start with and loosing another body sucked. But, it won't delay anyone. Pandora fulfillment is on track. ;)
Great to hear that everything is going smooth. I had a few 8x8 inch and 1 inch thick squares of hickory, glued them stacked on each other and turned it to make a small bowl. I made it a while back but now I think it will go well with the pd so I will probably keep the vapor tips in it.

It has some neat-o designs and cool discrepancies in color which just adds to the unique-ness. Also has a distinct smell when worked with although I believe it burns easily if not careful when turning. Oh but I do think it is a bit "messy" to work with on the lathe because it becomes a fine dust (its been a while since Ive worked with it but that's what I remember). :cool:

HighSti,

Purple-Days

I have a 5 micron bag on my dust machine (it came with a 30 micron). 4" Flexi hose goes to any tool. Massive suction. So dust isn't the shop problem it once was. And when it's something bad (like ebony), I have a good mask with filters plus goggles and earmuffs, what a sight... :rolleyes:

A kitchen, or two, that I have seen, done in Hickory Cabinets, has me thinking it would be pretty nice. I like the light and dark variations.

Time to relax and play a tune or two.

Purple-Days,

tuttle

Purple-Days said:
Tuttle, you sound just like me. (and probably break a rule or two, just like me).)
Like they say on the New Yankee Workshop, "guards removed for photographic clarity." There must be cameras all over the shops I have worked in because there wasn't a guard in sight ;)

tuttle,

Flyer

Fatpretzle, I let my iron heat a bit, tin the tip again with fresh and re clean/wipe. My tip came pretty/real clean.

Flyer,
Top Bottom