Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

edamame

vaporist
If all goes well, I should be working on my Pandora kit tonight :D

...damn, this thing's smaller than I thought! :o

edamame,
Ordered an Alder unit. Because it's the "musical" one, and music is practically my religion. Wasn't planning on ordering it, but I heard about the new options, and decided to act fast. I will have to put my MZ purchase off until my birthday in August, now, which is sort of depressing. Maybe it will give Rick more time to find me something nice...I don't know. But I do know I love these types of vapes. Thank you Tom for giving me the opportunity to build one.

SkeletonLips,

Purple-Days

Perfect, the type of person that should build a Pandora...
Like me, at a younger age, wanting to build a flying machine...

Alder is about 40% waste and others are about 20-25%. This batch anyway.

I sanded up some for Pammy to look at, she is the artist,
She likes, of course. ;)

Purple-Days,
Awesome, Tom! And you are right about the "flying machine" analogy. These "log-type" vapes are beautiful, simplistic, and rugged. And this is a perfect way for me to learn more about them. I'll probably end up with 20 or more by the time I die I think, lol. Not to sound like an obsessed vapor-head or nothin'..... And I trust the artist Pammy, when it comes to aesthetics, so it sounds great! Thanks.

SkeletonLips,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
I can't wait to see an Alder PD. Maybe I will have to get a Pandora, just for the Alder. I'm slightly worried about the build. But, in doing so i may well grow a larger appreciation for PD's in general, if that is at all possible.

IAmKrazy2,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
IAmKrazy2 said:
I can't wait to see an Alder PD. Maybe I will have to get a Pandora, just for the Alder. I'm slightly worried about the build. But, in doing so i may well grow a larger appreciation for PD's in general, if that is at all possible.
what has you worried about the build?

DevoTheStrange,

Flyer

kit is in hand today, a bit intimadating but I know what the end is going to be, I am all in. sorry dick ball , when did I order my kit?, not exact but a couple weeks for sure.

Flyer,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
what has you worried about the build?
To be honest, my number 1 concern is time. I work a lot of hours, and i need to dedicate the majority of my free time to my house. Inside and outside, this house had been neglected for years before i bought it. As far as the build process itself, soldering is something i have never done. Just seems intimidating.

IAmKrazy2,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
The soldering on the pandora not that bad... just as simple as holding the iron to the wire and touching it with the solder.... i found it more difficult to wrap each wire around itself than I did soldering them together (which is easy). It is not like soldering an electrical board which requires more skill and steadiness. Tom's directions make this part extremely easy.
Once the wires are wrapped, you want to have something that can hold onto the resister and wires so you can hold the iron in one hand and the solder in the other. What I did was take a book and put it on the edge of the counter and slid the wire under the book, so the part I was working with was hanging out over the coutner... press iron to wire, hold it for a few seconds so it heats up the wire, and just touch it with the solder, it will spread over the wires bonding them, once all the twisted wire is coated pull way with both hands.... your done with that particular piece of soldering, turn wire around so unsoldered piece is facing you and repeat.

and as far as time goes... each part can be done on its own... you don't have to do it all at once. Just do each part when you have 15-30 minutes.... The majority of the time goes into the wiring and building the heat exchanger. Both of which are not that time consuming. All the other stuff involves waiting for the glue to dry. And as far as sanding goes... that is where most of the time will be spend (Although the body is pretty smooth to begin with, just a little finishing on that)

DevoTheStrange,

minnesnowta

Vaporist/Glass Head
I saw that someone ordered and exotic and I put my order in for a black walnut. I've wanted a walnut one since tom did the small batch back in the day but wasn't quick enough. Exotic woods made it soooo much easier to pull the trigger. I can't wait to build this now. I don't think it'll be to difficult.

Thanks to Tom and pammy for bringing exotics back and the pandora kit. Both amazing decisions.

minnesnowta,

edamame

vaporist
From my experience last night, building the Pandora kit is fairly easy. Instructions/videos/pictures were well done and very helpful! I just wish I had something sharper to cut the crossbar.

Oh, and my snap ring pliers were initially set up to do the opposite of what was needed, which made things a little difficult.

edamame,

DevoTheStrange

Ia! Ia! Vapor Fthagn!
yeah, I ended up using a big pair of wire cutters to finally cut mine. The wire cutters I initially had gave me difficulty in clipping the wire. Got to be careful that when you cut it that the other piece of wire don't go flying off towards something that might be painful. Safety Glasses.

DevoTheStrange,

edamame

vaporist
One other thing, is there a recommended method to apply the buzz butter? It seems to be too solid to use my fingers.

edamame,

lwien

Apply to a warm PD. Just scrap off a little with your fingernail or a knife from the tin and apply with your thumb.

lwien,

edamame

vaporist
Ahh thanks!

pandora.jpg

:D

edamame,

Purple-Days

Wow ! You are welcome ! Yes, I warn to use safety glasses several times.

I also use hearing protection for loud tools. Gloves where needed. Etc.

Caution and a bit of skill required. The Pandora isn't for everyone.
That's part of the fun, not everyone can, or would want, to build one. :cool:

Purple-Days,

JohnDeere

Let me preface this by saying I am a noob...

Where can I order the Pandora...the website says "Coming Soon."

Is there a Wait list for the Pandora?

JohnDeere,

Flyer

started mine last night with the stems, today I am soldered, pre fit the electrical, pre buttered, every body should do one of these, so far so good, I wish the cd had some of Tom's music on it. well done kit, plenty of everything.

Flyer,

edamame

vaporist
Used it for the first time last night while I was working on the other two stems. Let me tell you, those two were way more fun to work on than the first :ko:

edamame,

JohnDeere

Thanks P-D, I still have to do some convincing with the wife...I should be placing an order soon (fingers crossed).

JohnDeere,

HighSti

Vaporist-Secularist
I'm thrilled to hear we now have the option to pick out of a variety of exotic woods. I'm stuck.. Cherry?.. Alder?.. I'm ready to order but this is holding me back. I really like how alder retains a naturally blonde color but at the same time like the aging of the cherry. -Tom, do you have any pictures of an alder unit with buzz butter applied? This may help me make my final desision.

HighSti,
Holy Smokes (or should I say vapes)! My alder Pandora is gonna be gorgeous! I'm gonna have a blast with this, Tom. I can't wait!

SkeletonLips,
Top Bottom