Discontinued Pandora Kit from Purple-Days

Hello, I just recently made an account on these boards but have been lurking for months. Anyways, I am having a slight problem with my purple days pandora kit. I finished construction on it last night and went to test it out on the car charger and everything worked fine, I even left it on for about 20 minutes. After that i plugged it into my wall and it worked fine there as well. The next day I went to plug it into my car and the fuse blew right as I plugged it in. I thought there may be a short, so i checked the bottom solder joints and no wires were touching each other. I didn't check the heat sink area for soldering contact yet though. So I then put in another 5A fuse in the car charger and it worked for 30 minutes straight and then the fuse blew. I was thinking it may be when i turn my car off and on that the fuse would blow but i'm not exactly sure. So if anybody could help me figure out what could be wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

KholdFlamez,

hereatlast

I'd email Tom first, even though there's no warranty on the PDP's I'm sure he'll be able to help even if its just troubleshooting or advice (they're usually pretty quick . Sorry I can't help but I don't wanna give any recommendations lest it would be wrong. Best of luck.

hereatlast,

renat2004

Volume tell please than and how to process a tree in Pandora Kit Cherry how to prepare impregnation for a tree people will impart experience wood processings by natural methods.

renat2004,

Purple-Days

Renat, the kit has a 1 ounce tin of Bee's Wax and Organic Plant Oil finish for the wood.

When you get your kit there are instructions. If you need help let me know. Translating to your language is difficult, but we will work through it. Easy as pie. ;)

Purple-Days,

Alan

Master JedHI
Manufacturer
I have been playing around with the resistor for these units. They get hot enough to melt solder when 12 volts is applied. Any solder on the lead wire within a short distance from the resistor can become molten. If this molten solder drips, it could cause a short or just rattle around harmlessly.

I would suggest keeping the solder on the leads as far from the resistor as practical.

Has anyone ever tried uninsulated butt splice connectors to extend the wires?

I'm not building a pandora. Mine has a quite a few improvements.
The molten solder on the lead happened was while it was in the heat sink and up to operating conditions. It does happen.

I'm using the identical resistor in basically the identical heat sink. I'm also using lead free solder but possibly not the same as yours. There may be a few degrees of difference in the melting point.
I'm not suggesting that you have a bad design. I'm not here sowing seeds for a new business. Doesn't appear to be any interest in an improved log style vaporizer. I'm just informing anyone building a kit to be careful in how close you apply solder to the resistor lead wires.

Alan,

Purple-Days

TV, I'm sure you have... :clap: And now you are here, giving suggestions... :popcorn:

Yes, an open air resistor, with no heat sink, will get hot enough to melt the solder, but when the resistor is in contact with the heat sink of a proper size, in a proper body, as in this design, the heat is kept below the temperatures needed to melt the solder we use.

So what's your point? Since you are not building a Pandora (you say so) and this happened to you in your design. We know nothing about you or your ability, but you come here... with what purpose? Sew the seeds for your new business? Here we go again. :rolleyes:

If your suggestion, that the resistor would melt the solder, as it is used in this design, were a fact (it is not), then failures would be very common (they are not, the solder is intact in units I have pulled apart).

I wondered how long it would take you to pop up, TV. And now you are here making unfounded claims about our design.

Do you have a name and website or is this just an anonymous posting? C'mon out of the shadows, Trav. :cool: :lol:

So folks , if you are building a Pandora, just follow the manufacturers instructions. This fellow is well, you know...

This design (resistor and heat sink) and the use of this resistor has been around since 1978. If they were melting we would have known by now... ;) BTW drops of solder are reflective and stick to the wooden cavity during assembly. Has happened to me, more than once. Hard to see and they can get closed in and later fall free. I've shaved the leather off a few units and drilled a small hole to let the BB drop out, then glued leather back on. Now that I can see again and now that I have had this happen a few times, I inspect the cavity very well before glue-ing the bottom on.

And unrelated, the fuse blowing above seems car related not a Pandora issue as the unit is working fine and does not blow fuses during operation. A short will blow a fuse. This is blowing fuses when the ignition is switched off. Yet the unit works fine in the car and the house. Further troubleshooting with another car will tell us more.

Purple-Days,
bump. Can someone tell me where to get a Pandora PD :/

Please read the Rules page- Please do not bump your threads to try and get attention. Be patient.

VaporBoxed,

hereatlast

I don't think its out of line to quote Tom's recent editing of the first post:

Purple-Days said:
Edit: 3-11-11
This was a fun project for a year. Lots of folks had fun and great success building the project. A small number of folks had assembly trouble ( a few shorts), but we helped them out with replacement parts (no charge) and second go around they spotted the problem. A very few needed further help, I even re-built or took over in the middle for those few folks. In the end I think everyone enjoyed the project and lots of folks now have the know how to build their own.
So it was fun for a year. But carrying two product lines, with three or more wood species each, is extra work and we are going to concentrate on The Original in three or four woods, North American sales only.
Sorry, if you missed out.
Thanks to all those who built our project.

hereatlast,
hereatlast said:
I don't think its out of line to quote Tom's recent editing of the first post:

Purple-Days said:
Edit: 3-11-11
This was a fun project for a year. Lots of folks had fun and great success building the project. A small number of folks had assembly trouble ( a few shorts), but we helped them out with replacement parts (no charge) and second go around they spotted the problem. A very few needed further help, I even re-built or took over in the middle for those few folks. In the end I think everyone enjoyed the project and lots of folks now have the know how to build their own.
So it was fun for a year. But carrying two product lines, with three or more wood species each, is extra work and we are going to concentrate on The Original in three or four woods, North American sales only.
Sorry, if you missed out.
Thanks to all those who built our project.

well thats a bummer thanks.

VaporBoxed,

Purple-Days

Sorry, I put the edit in the first post and got distracted forgetting to re-post it here at the end.

Purple-Days,

bstar

Not sure if I should post here or the PD thread, so let me know if I should switch. :)

I've had my Pandora PD for over a year now and am very happy so far. Haven't used it in a couple months and just got to heat it up again last night. Worked well, didn't notice any problems. When I looked at it today though, the clip ring thing (technical terms lol) wasn't in place. So I got the wood piece to hammer it back in. It hammered back down fine but doesn't seem to fit tightly anymore. Also, the whole center of the unit (the heating whatever, all the metal) seems pretty loose. Even more bothersome, what I can see of the wood down there looks overheated. Cracks and discoloration all around. (See pic below.) I'm not using a different power cord or anything that might heat it more. Am I just screwed? Or is this normal and it will still work? Any way to fix it? Like I said it worked last night so I'm not sure if it's causing a real functional problem.

I searched the threads and found a couple posts about loose innards but nothing about the condition of the wood. Thanks for your help. :)
[removed]
(Please pardon the mess, it needs a good cleaning!)

bstar,

Purple-Days

Extra clips are available at any Auto Parts store, tell them it's for a 1" diameter hole. Or you can write to us direct for further advice. Our e-mail is directly below my avatar and our website has e-mail links too.

Purple-Days,
Top Bottom