Discontinued Hopper io

JBone65

At one time I thought my previous unit (OG?) wasnt heating properly. About that time I was also using some disposable vape pens that were a gift. I think the easy hitting vape pens caused confusion. Nasty vape pens hit hard and fast, within 3-4 seconds, but the raw herb GH takes time to heat the load and mobilize thc. Anyway, not sure if it started working better or I just figured out how to use it. I remember one day when I got frustrated and became determined to heat it up. After 20-30 seconds it got hot enough to burn my lips, so I knew it still worked and started using it differently. My typical hit takes 15-20 seconds to give the heater time to heat up the load. I definitely work harder to get a hit with the GH but that's expected. Obviously GHs fail, but I'm wondering if some of the reported problems might fall into this category.

JBone65,

Coombs

Is it a new product though? Apart from the 'instant on' claim, everything else is talk and even instant is dubious. Powerful enough to hit almost immediately, but any resistance wire has a heat up time, even if it is less than a second.
But without the io distinction there was nothing else you could call new, so they couldn't draw a line in the sand with a 'different' product.
Now they can delay and stuff around OG people hoping they all trade up at your cost. Another shady move when you have a lifetime warranty, but we were all hoping and willing to invest again if it kept the dream alive (How many times has the phrase 'when it works it's great' been said in the Hopper threads).
But if the io is no more reliable they are in real trouble.
No real argument from me. Definitely not a real new product, but HL positions it as so. Considering most of the same faults are creeping up, pretty obvious it is a refresh at best. Either way, a shady company plus all the early glowing reviews on here fooled me to think they had improved. I was wrong.

No doubt it produces great vapor when it works, but at the price they charge, this kind of reliability and support is unacceptable. A product that works great for 5 minutes does not warrant the premium price IMO.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
My thoughts for the day on hoppers.
I'm disappointed to hear about io warranties languishing. It seems the honeymoon is over there at the 'Labs, by that I mean the lightning response the initial io rma's were getting has now slowed to what sounds like maybe several weeks(?) It happened just as the color ti orders were finally being fulfilled. I wonder if they are the ones getting some vip treatment at the moment.

Further disappointing is that I have a ss body in for rma now, for a couple of weeks. I was to send it in 'before they send a replacement body', so it apparently is not waiting in a repair cue (or for Covid!!! Ha!!!). I've also told them I wanted to purchase a bubbler and some batteries on the 4/20 sale, if they could send all at once, but there has not yet been a response to the inquiry. I do believe they will eventually answer, and that it will work out more-or-less okay. Eventually.

To summarize, my io has needed rma 3x in 9 months and wife's has not needed any in almost 4 months.

You Europeans, in my opinion, should stay on the sidelines and watch the action (or just go get a TinyMight!). The exceptions are the folks who have plenty of money, time and the patience to not have to give a fuck. At all. Rock on, you guys and buy some more! It's helping the rest of us by keeping HL afloat, we hope.

Up until this point I've become an even bigger fan of the io than I was of the og, and in my limited experience, it's shown itself to work better and longer than the og. But it is not the perfect package yet.
My wife is enjoying hers daily and I am using my alternates, the Go and Splinter, so, no worries. (For sharing we use a Mighty...)

@JBone65 , comparing any flower vape to an extract device is apples and oranges.
I agree that power issues with both io's and og's- mainly due to using older batteries- can be mis-interpreted as device fails. Or maybe due to conductivity, dirty threads and stuff like that.

But I still disagree on how an io need be hit. No draw takes me 20 seconds unless it's slow and through water, because my lungs just can't do that anymore. (I'm 70, smoked cigarettes for 40+ yrs, etc., etc.). I do a couple of primer puffs that I don't inhale, then maybe 10 second, slow draw, clicking off a few seconds before done. But these are not tiny hits, I get huge cloudage, etc. Maybe it is your device.
Your descriptions of needing the whole chamber and device to be hot sound (to me) more like conduction, like a Pax or something.

does not warrant the premium price IMO
I give myself solace knowing that thru 7 devices I've not paid 'retail' for any of them.

JBone65

Your probably right VapViking. I wanted to make the point that instant on referred to the heating element, not the temperature of the load, and that it's inherently more difficult than a simple disposable vape pen. Still, I used my phone as a timer and was surprised to see that I tend to draw slowly for 15-20 seconds. Sometimes I draw loads into my mouth (cigarette style) first if it's hard to hit with a fine grind and a full load, sometimes directly into my chest. Have been at it off and on for 50+ years myself. There's something magic about strong weed, a fine grind, a full load in an IO and a long draw....

Jason Mendoza

Oh, NO! I bought one on Tuesday. I accidentally used paypal so I don't have the awesome Capital One behind me like I did the TM. Capital One gives 6 months for charge backs. I'll be annoying all you Hopper forum members with questions soon. I apologize in advance. ;)

MonkeyTime

I'm still here, on the fence...:uhoh::hmm:

This may be the ONLY time I don't tell you to jump! You know the story here, so unless it's just to help the cause, there's no reason for the risky venture IMO. Your TM & TB are very similar in output with different form factors. I was considering another IO so I could leave on set up on the power supply and one for on the go......then I realized, with my TM back in the rotation, my IO has lost it's place.

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
This may be the ONLY time I don't tell you to jump! You know the story here, so unless it's just to help the cause, there's no reason for the risky venture IMO. Your TM & TB are very similar in output with different form factors. I was considering another IO so I could leave on set up on the power supply and one for on the go......then I realized, with my TM back in the rotation, my IO has lost it's place.

Yeah I think I am just insane because of the sale and year-long quarantine, I'm imagining use for it out and about, been so long since I've had that need, and I do have other better options, at least compared to my experience with the original GH and my blue TI, which was why I invested in the Max Vapor PA to revive my original as a desktop now with PFE... Yeah that photo of the grasshopper in the TB stem was pretty appealing, I wish that was a real design here! TM definitely better all around and now I have two so I can take one out and about more casually with the cooling unit when that becomes necessary again... And yet, I am still here, yeah I can see some value in supporting them, help keep them afloat so everyone else can finally get their money's worth as well?? But like, it also feels like they have not earned that goodwill at all... I can afford it, but still...

JBone65

power issues with both io's and og's- mainly due to using older batteries- can be mis-interpreted as device fails. Or maybe due to conductivity, dirty threads and stuff like that.
The OGs were finicky. I think the batteries were weaker and prone to fail, sometimes my OG battery wouldn't charge, the piece with the goofy pocket clip had to be snug or it wouldn't work right, dog gone lights would flash the wrong color, etc. Despite this I've enjoyed 3 functioning GHs during 3 1/2 of the last 4 1/2 years (78% of the time). Have had to wait extended periods for service twice, maybe this can be increased to 95% of the time going forward as the device improves. The IOs are either on or off, never a flashing light, thus simpler to operate, and they are definitely stronger than the OG. I believe the net result is that the IO is less finicky than the OG, thus more user friendly. Sorry to hear about the malfunctions. Does HL produce stats concerning customer satisfion?

Shit Snacks

Well this certainly helps dissuade me:
Screenshot-20210422-175101.png

Other new vapes that followed after GH launched, seem to have avoided the basic mistake specifying when something is a pre-order, or at least providing some sort of rough shipping estimate... So it's pretty disheartening to see, not even minimal effort for the customer experience, like they depend on misleading people for any sales...

Last edited:

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Despite this I've enjoyed 3 functioning GHs during 3 1/2 of the last 4 1/2 years (78% of the time). Have had to wait extended periods for service twice, maybe this can be increased to 95% of the time going forward as the device improves.
I like to call that the Hopper Coefficient (HE) - which is basically the up time your Hopper runs (well) divided by length of ownership. Of course, you have several units so the weighting might be more. My HE is about the same with my OG and it’s 100% so far 8+ months with my IO. I do the think the IO is more reliable however others herein would disagree. I want HL to succeed however jumps in improvement with customer service haven’t really been made. I also think their quality control has a ways to go too. I doubt I’ll buy another, one of each (OG, which had a year-long RMA and runs reasonably well, and IO) are good enough for me. Maybe some more batteries later this year but I have enough recent ones. And speaking of cells, I also think early HL batts were inconsistent (several of my early ones were) though the last batch after the fire and before the main GHB3 launch (most of mine are labeled GBH2s and perhaps they’re really 3s in 2s clothing) are fairly consistent, which is better. I think with these batts if you let them sit too long, charged or otherwise, they lose their capacity quickly. That’s been my subjective observation.

Would I recommend a Hopper to anyone? That depends. If it would be your only vape, no. If you have a vape roster and familiar with the market it’s more palatable rolling the dice. Love mine though and they’ll always have a place in my heart - as long as they work. :peace:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Does HL produce stats concerning customer satisfion?
If they do, they don't tell us mortals. Just like many other things they don't communicate.

I've also found it weird that since the new thehopper.io website started not one actual photo of color ti io has been displayed. I believe any photos showing of any hoppers are older ones, taken of og Grasshoppers.
The 'illustrations' on some pages are not good representation of the color you may receive.

This is a photo from the og site. The green is darker in the photo than the green ti I got back then. And folks have now said that the green ti io is disappointing, color-wise.
But I'm posting it because it is an actual photo and hopefully can more accurately inform prospective buyers. Just be warned that color may not be as bold as in the photo shoot.

I want to add that I don't recommend color units. Unless you want to really baby it, these will be the soonest to show wear and scratch marks. (I've settled on being a ss guy).
In my opinion the heat treated ti's were the best-looking and I hope they bring those back sometime. They were too much $ for me, but I liked the look...

1619178743406.png

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Just be warned that color may not be as bold as in the photo shoot.
Great post as always. Keep in mind monitors and phones vary in color temps too being a photography buff of sorts. I was never tempted by colored Hoppers so that mitigated any of my concerns. Indeed, I’ve heard the color ones show more wear than the Ti & SS versions. Cheers. :peace:

AK-47

Guys, after a few weeks with the hopper I'm in love with the device. I love it so much that I've gone back to using my Edge and Omnivap (soon Simrell MVS). Why? Because I will use the hopper only for special occasions until I order a second one. Even though I like the hopper a lot it's still to expensive for me to send a broken hopper back and forth from Europe all the time...

On a side note, do you think the hopper guys read this thread and talk about us? :)

WhyAreWeWaiting

Guys, after a few weeks with the hopper I'm in love with the device. I love it so much that I've gone back to using my Edge and Omnivap (soon Simrell MVS). Why? Because I will use the hopper only for special occasions until I order a second one. Even though I like the hopper a lot it's still to expensive for me to send a broken hopper back and forth from Europe all the time...

On a side note, do you think the hopper guys read this thread and talk about us? :)
I purchased 2 IOs for the same reason. Both of them are in Hopper Labs awaiting repair since the end of March. It's the 4th time they've been returned in less that a year since I bought them.

Shit Snacks

Just noticed the below as part of the terms you have to accept as the final step of checkout:

Ship Date

The estimated shipping date listed on checkout is an estimation. This date is subject to change. Hopper Labs from time-to-time will provide updated shipping information to keep you informed on when your product will arrive.

So they do address shipping estimate, but how hard is it to update the product page in the main website where it still says March 2021?

Returns/Refunds

Any customer with a pre-order can request a 100% refund at any time prior to shipping of the order. Please contact support@grasshoppervape.com to request a refund. Unused products can be returned for a full refund within 20 days of receiving a shipping email. Once the product is used it cannot be returned for a refund.

Nice to have this in writing as well, although I noticed they do call it a pre-order here!

Warranty Service

In order to receive warranty service, you must register your device on ghvape.com. Devices that have been registered to another account or have not been registered will not receive warranty service. The warranty is designed to provide customers with a cheap option to fix devices with issues. The owner is 100% responsible for the costs associated with shipping the device to Hopper Labs. We will not replace the device if it is lost in transit to us. Hopper Labs will cover the costs of repair and return shipping. If Hopper Labs finds it necessary to make changes to the device to ensure future reliability there is no time limit on how long a repair might take. You may request at any time during one of these periods to have the device returned to you without the service completed. Hopper Labs has no obligation to upgrade or replace the device with an existing or new model.

Part I bolded at bottom is interesting, good ass covering I guess lol

Anyway if they are reading this, I hope they are happy, because somehow they got me again! Despite everything, we'll see if they can keep me though...

Last edited:

Djsleepy

Just noticed the below as part of the terms you have to accept as the final step of checkout:

So they do address shipping estimate, but how hard is it to update the product page in the main website where it still says March 2021?

Nice to have this in writing as well, although I noticed they do call it a pre-order here!

Bold part is interesting, good ass covering I guess lol

Anyway if they are reading this, I hope they are happy, because somehow they got me again! Despite everything, we'll see if they can keep me though...
Let me know I’m curious (vas)

Shit Snacks

Let me know I’m curious (vas)

To be fair I didn't exactly order just yet, but I'm getting close, been 24 hours with the below GH+PA whipped out again, after it sat over six months in a box post-move, to remind me that despite all the design flaws the signature is still very strong indeed...

PXL-20210423-191315438.jpg

The thing is I am imagining my usage of a blue Ti io as an actual out and about convenience stock style, which I did do a bit successfully with my original blue Ti way back when, but only briefly before the design flaws caught up, so I remain suspicious that I am just lying to myself right now :rofl:

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

To be fair I didn't exactly order just yet, but I'm getting close, been 24 hours with the below GH+PA whipped out again, after it sat over six months in a box post-move, to remind me that despite all the design flaws the signature is still very strong indeed...

PXL-20210423-191315438.jpg

The thing is I am imagining my usage of a blue Ti io as an actual out and about convenience stock style, which I did do a bit successfully with my original blue Ti way back when, but only briefly before the design flaws caught up, so I remain suspicious that I am just lying to myself right now :rofl:
The blue one isn't very blue from a couple new user reports I read if that matters. I wouldn't advise anyone buy a Hopper with how poorly they treat customers. I was not impressed with how much I had to hassle them for parts for months. A few word reply, crickets, a few more words, more crickets. It's too bad because it's the James Bond of vapes imo, I've loved the design since I first discovered it years ago but they just constantly shoot themselves in the foot and never seem to learn.

That adapter is sure a keeper, I wish they were available to get past the limited battery life when I'm not leaving the house with it.

Shit Snacks

The blue one isn't very blue from a couple new user reports I read if that matters.

Hmm I know people were saying that about the green, but I always knew that one was lighter, but the blue one is not as blue as the original blue anymore??

I wouldn't advise anyone buy a Hopper with how poorly they treat customers. I was not impressed with how much I had to hassle them for parts for months. A few word reply, crickets, a few more words, more crickets.

Yeah it's really hard to justify a largely support-based purchase for a company that doesn't seem to return the favor...

It's too bad because it's the James Bond of vapes imo, I've loved the design since I first discovered it years ago but they just constantly shoot themselves in the foot and never seem to learn.

Yeah it is super slick, though really I think it needing to look like a pen to hide in plain sight not in use, is such a limitation, my biggest issues the clicking power button, loading unloading, hot body and vapor...

That adapter is sure a keeper, I wish they were available to get past the limited battery life when I'm not leaving the house with it.

Yes I am very lucky I was able to score one, and I have parts to maybe get a second going, I know someone found a power supply that works with the io but then someone else couldn't get it to work? I don't recall, but I thought if I got one maybe I would look into that in the future too...

No idea how long the sale is going to last, if I don't decide to buy it in time, that would make the decision for me I suppose!

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
No idea how long the sale is going to last, if I don't decide to buy it in time, that would make the decision for me I suppose!
My last io purchase was on a (black friday?) sale, and it involved trading in 2 og's. I put an new io in my cart and sent an email to support@thehopper.io with my intent. The answer came over a week after the sale had passed but HL still honored it. I think one difference here is that my swap units were both in warranty cue at that point (I had made the second claim in anticipation of the deal). In your case I don't think it will matter, HL must be glad to get them out of circulation!

Interesting, all the warranty boilerplate. It definitely looks like they've modified it since the og's, but not quite enough to change things like the place to register your device (ghvape.com is the old site). And even if you could use the registration portal there, the devices have no "second" code written on their boxes like the old ones did. Website tells you you need that code to register. Right now the only way to register an io is by specific email request with support.

More trade-in minutia;
My first trade in also involved 2 og's swapped for one io back in July '20 and I don't think they had policy fully ironed out. They asked that I send in the devices, so I sent clean bodies and back ends, no mouthpieces or chargers. The second time I swapped 2 for one they specifically told me they wanted my chargers. I sent 2, but never the first two; that ship had sailed, the deal done. So now I'm pretty fat with chargers - and more front ends than you can shake a stick at since we only use pfe's!
Wtf are they gonna do with used v1 chargers anyway?

Top Bottom