• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

guyonthecouch

Been running my io for a year+ now. Was using it through water exclusively for PM usage but started using it dry with a jhook and it has re-instated itself as my daily driver. It's just so simple and easy to use, most of all it gets the job done fast.

Lately, rather than grinding, I've been breaking down flowers calyx by calyx, pulling them off the buds doing my best to keep them intact. This was my method for the Volcano back in the day and decided to test it out with the hopper recently. I find it offers the best experience for taste and flavor representation, with the theory that the trichs, terps and flavonoids are kept intact vs being mulched up in a grinder. Load the io chamber up calyx by calyx with no tamping or packing whatsoever, 3.5 temp through a jhook or glass chillum and you're in flavor country. The calyx method also keeps the io chamber and front screens much cleaner, especially vs fine grind which I'd been using for a long time. For those of you who like higher temps and darker abv you can squeeze a second pass if you dump out the calyxes and squish them into dust like consistency, turn up the heat to 4-5 and tons of vapor still hiding in there. Volcano users are familiar with this second pass abv method, my one buddy does first pass during the day storing abv in a bowl ready for high temp second pass at night. Not a fan of high temps lately, too sedative and too heavy on the lungs.

The turbulent air that the io provides strips all the goodies so well with this method and it expresses the subtle flavors amazingly. IMO a sign of a high quality device is when you can taste and distinguish the grow medium(s) of the flower. Obviously quality of material plays a roll in this but also related to precision temperature extraction.

Coombs

Been running my io for a year+ now. Was using it through water exclusively for PM usage but started using it dry with a jhook and it has re-instated itself as my daily driver. It's just so simple and easy to use, most of all it gets the job done fast.

Lately, rather than grinding, I've been breaking down flowers calyx by calyx, pulling them off the buds doing my best to keep them intact. This was my method for the Volcano back in the day and decided to test it out with the hopper recently. I find it offers the best experience for taste and flavor representation, with the theory that the trichs, terps and flavonoids are kept intact vs being mulched up in a grinder. Load the io chamber up calyx by calyx with no tamping or packing whatsoever, 3.5 temp through a jhook or glass chillum and you're in flavor country. The calyx method also keeps the io chamber and front screens much cleaner, especially vs fine grind which I'd been using for a long time. For those of you who like higher temps and darker abv you can squeeze a second pass if you dump out the calyxes and squish them into dust like consistency, turn up the heat to 4-5 and tons of vapor still hiding in there. Volcano users are familiar with this second pass abv method, my one buddy does first pass during the day storing abv in a bowl ready for high temp second pass at night. Not a fan of high temps lately, too sedative and too heavy on the lungs.

The turbulent air that the io provides strips all the goodies so well with this method and it expresses the subtle flavors amazingly. IMO a sign of a high quality device is when you can taste and distinguish the grow medium(s) of the flower. Obviously quality of material plays a roll in this but also related to precision temperature extraction.
Is this just one IO that you’ve been using for a year plus? Without any failures and as a daily!? If so, please tell us your secret!!!

Coombs,

guyonthecouch

@Coombs Yes, my io has been working for over a year. But I did have an issue out of the gate, the back end popped open on me when I was trying to turn the dial. Got it replaced and all has been well, thankfully.

No real secret but I did try @vapviking "cleaning" method a while ago with much success. I had been using my io with a fine grind and noticed air intake restriction was getting worse over time. Vapviking(..memory says it was VV, forgive me if it was another user) posted in the thread a while back about blowing into the intake holes while the heater is on, or something along those lines, can't remember the specifics - maybe this should be added to the Hopper tips and tricks section on the forum if not already. Tried it out and initially got scared because it made all these fizzy crackling sounds and thought I botched my unit. But I think it was a combo of gunk and moisture from breathing into it that caused the noises. Let it sit for a while and then did some dry runs through a glass piece on max temp, cleared everything up real nice.

Boxxy

It's now been ONE WHOLE YEAR since I ordered a Colour Ti io and PFE and still not received the product I paid for.

Now some of you have been waiting much longer for your smell proof case (which never materialised), your oils front end (which never materialised), your battery charger (which never materialised) and your OG Grasshopper warranty claims... so 1 year of waiting probably doesn't seem too bad when dealing with Hopper Labs, but to me this is completely ridiculous!

I've been lurking this thread and the original Grasshopper thread for many years now, so I was aware of their *ahem* flexible shipping dates, but I bit the bullet and ordered a Dark Grey io with PFE on 22/03/2020 and was given an initial shipping estimate of July, which was then pushed to November, then February, and now to March. I've contacted their Customer Support and have been told, like many others awaiting their Colour Ti units, "...coming next month... just waiting on a couple of parts... just waiting for the anodizing to be done...".

We are in a Pandemic, shit is currently fucked!.. I understand there are supply issues and problems regarding staffing; me getting my cool little toy is not really a priority. That being said, if Hopper Labs cannot fulfil my order of a Colour unit, as seems to be the case, then give me a full refund, hell the least they could have done is offer to change my order to a regular Ti unit (which currently seem to be shipping in a timely manner).

I will be contacting them today to put forward my annoyance with them and request my order be changed to a regular Titanium io, since I don't see them being able to fulfil orders of an anodized io any time soon. I will give them till the end of the week to confirm shipping, and if I do not receive confirmation that the order has shipped I will be requesting a full refund.

Quick update from my post a few pages back.

Hopper Labs replied to my email at the time (23/03/21) telling me that colour units had started shipping and that my order for a Dark Grey io was due to be shipped the following week. After seeing a number of new colour units in the hands of users on here, I foolishly gave HL another chance, thinking that the end was in sight.

Here we are a month later, with no Hopper io in my hands. I was unsure if there had been postal delays or if my package had been held up at customs, so I contacted HL 23/04/21 (a whole 13 months after placing my order!) to ask if they had actually shipped out my order and if so, could they provide tracking info. I get a reply today (27/04/21) saying "Dark Grey units were delayed, but should ship to you this month."...

The final straw that broke the camels back.

Hopper Labs have consistently pushed back and failed to meet shipping dates. Multiple times they have claimed that my order would be shipped, Just another month. Next week. End of the month...

I'm not accepting this any more. I'm requesting a full refund. HL could guarantee shipping tomorrow and I would still want a refund. Hell, Trev himself could personally fly to my house to hand-deliver my order, and I would throw it back in his face and still request a refund.

Hopper Labs is not a company I want to do business with. They have held my money for over 13 months now. This could be the best vaporizer in the world (if it works), but I don't care anymore, I do not want to give money to a company that treats me like a mug.

I would sincerely advise anyone and everyone to stay well clear of Hopper Labs. To those who are happy with working units, all I can say is good luck.

On a final note: I ordered a Tinymight 23/04/21, the same day I emailed Hopper Labs (that's how little faith I had in HL to ship my order), and the Tinymight has already shipped and moving through customs ready to be delivered 29/04/21. Quite a difference between waiting 13 months and counting for a Hopper io, and the 6 days for the Tinymight.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
Hopper Labs have consistently pushed back and failed to meet shipping dates.
To the best of my knowledge they have never met a deadline. It’s pathetic.

This could be the best vaporizer in the world (if it works), but I don't care anymore, I do not want to give money to a company that treats me like a mug.
They treat most, not all, this way. We shouldn’t have to chase them yet many of us do. I had to do this when I ordered my IO last year over Labor Day weekend (they must’ve been hungover as I had to prod them to ship my order after gladly taking my money). Honestly, they’re a Harvard Business School worst-case scenario. They don’t know how to run a business, plain and simple.

But my IO does work flawlessly for nearly 9 months. Go figure. If I need batts down the road I’ll buy them but I won’t support them any longer in any other way. Happy Tuesday & cheers. :peace:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
:o I saw that when I was trying to decide whether or not to jump in, was hoping you had gotten it after all and forgot to come back here, but not at all surprised to read this now... Yeah I don't regret jumping in to get the sale pricing, and I am in no rush to receive it, but I think if it takes more than a month, like by June I may have to just cancel because already it's hard to support this company, I'm certainly not planning to email them to ask for any false updates! :rolleyes:

JBone65

I feel guilty listening to the problems some are having. Got my first SS GH on eBay for $200 in 2016. Only spent $80 to upgrade to my third unit (a SS IO) 5-6 months ago. I spent $280 and it's been my primary device for 4 1/2 years (3 1/2 years functioning, 2018 was difficult).

I use it hard. Filling it to the brim with finely ground dry herb and getting 10-11 long excellent hits/load. Starting at the lowest setting then advance a half mark for each hit, then a couple extra hits until it stops delivering thc. This method counts the hits and successively higher temps (theoretically) release different compounds. Used to use larger chunks and fresh, moist weed in it, but it was making too much nasty resin. it stays much cleaner and I can grind it much easier when dry. I clean it quickly with strong alcohol and q-tips every few weeks but never get the element wet. I'm sure this differs tremendously from how everyone else uses it. Would like to hear.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
CS so bad even satisfied customers don't want to support you. All we ask is honesty.
Honesty and transparency to their customers (and prospective customers) is all we ask.

it's been my primary device for 4 1/2 years (3 1/2 years functioning, 2018 was difficult).
Your Hopper Coefficient is .78 which is approximately what mine is. I defined it a page or two back. I had a difficult yearlong RMA too (almost to the exact day) with my Ti OG. Once I got it back, and it was definitely fixed, I bit on the IO with more horsepower. And what I believe to be a more efficient vape with the purported improvements in battery management. Those and a cooler native frontend really sold me (I use my vapes natively 99% of the time). I will reiterate my TI IO has been nothing short of amazing though it took me a while to get used to the increased power (like putting a Ferrari engine in something other than a Ferrari). But it works, and it works well. There is nothing like Hopper when it works well.

Yet HL continues to shoot itself in the foot on several fronts. Ironically, or perhaps not, I can both exalt the virtues of an amazing vape with many and also sympathize with many over their incessant blunders. Ying, yang perhaps. I took a shot with the IO and it worked out for me; my OG’s performance really took a downturn by the beginning of year 2 and I didn’t send it in until beginning of year 3. I’m keeping my fingers crossed I’ll have better luck with the IO. So far so good...
:peace: :peace:

Last edited:

JBone65

I should mention how the flavor changes for me over the course of 10-11 hits when using a full fine dry load. Unfortunately, most of the other-wordly flavor (terpenes, flavinoids, ?) are experienced in the first hit at the lowest setting. Generally less flavor as more hits are taken and the temp is raised. The last couple at max temp will get you plenty stoned but definitely aren't sweet. Oddly, seem to get more vapor as temp increases after hit #7 or 8. I could see using the GH just for that amazing first hit, but it would get expensive, plus I would be changing the load pretty often. The GH didn't come with usage instructions, so the way I use it has evolved in isolation. I'm guessing everyone uses it differently.

west-elec

I should mention how the flavor changes for me over the course of 10-11 hits when using a full fine dry load. Unfortunately, most of the other-wordly flavor (terpenes, flavinoids, ?) are experienced in the first hit at the lowest setting. Generally less flavor as more hits are taken and the temp is raised. The last couple at max temp will get you plenty stoned but definitely aren't sweet. Oddly, seem to get more vapor as temp increases after hit #7 or 8. I could see using the GH just for that amazing first hit, but it would get expensive, plus I would be changing the load pretty often. The GH didn't come with usage instructions, so the way I use it has evolved in isolation. I'm guessing everyone uses it differently.
I would say 'most' people would compress your 10-11 hits into 3 to 6 hits starting higher maybe pulling harder.
If slower temp stepping is what works for you, thats ok, you didn't mention if you hit it native or with cooling. Starting higher means hotter mouthpiece so low and short is better if you hit native. But if you hit hotter on first draw you get terps and THC all in one hit which is more satisfying to some. Then less hits are needed to clear the bowl once tastes are gone.
Maybe try starting at 3 through a j hook or water pipe or even just 6 inches of silicone. Then 1/2 notch temp step gives you 5 hits to max temp. Try it you may like the fuller hits better.

cliffhanger1

a few days ago i got the free letter from HL which they re sent me the 5 forgotten screens from my order spare Bodys in the past..

I have not yet had a warranty claim, but if something was not ok with my order such as the screens was missing 1 time as described or I had 3 defective batteries with me that I got replaced without any problems, Hopper Labs was always helpful for me and took remedial action.
Even if it took a few days to send it, it was always done, even if you had to remind her sometimes.

if it is not more I can live with it if it is done in the end.

As I said, I haven't had a warranty claim yet, but I've only been a customer for about 10 months and I'm so far satisfied so far.
of course, the most important thing is the durability of the device.
I can only say that after half a year of about hardcore use my first device didn't get that hot anymore, whose cause was the body.
Because of this i don't use it anymore and I use it for "educational purposes". :rofl:
I still have to wait and see how long my other devices will last, but I am in good spirits that they will last for a long time. After all, there have been many positive experiences here too

slozukimc

a few days ago i got the free letter from HL which they re sent me the 5 forgotten screens from my order spare Bodys in the past..

I have not yet had a warranty claim, but if something was not ok with my order such as the screens was missing 1 time as described or I had 3 defective batteries with me that I got replaced without any problems, Hopper Labs was always helpful for me and took remedial action.
Even if it took a few days to send it, it was always done, even if you had to remind her sometimes.

if it is not more I can live with it if it is done in the end.

As I said, I haven't had a warranty claim yet, but I've only been a customer for about 10 months and I'm so far satisfied so far.
of course, the most important thing is the durability of the device.
I can only say that after half a year of about hardcore use my first device didn't get that hot anymore, whose cause was the body.
Because of this i don't use it anymore and I use it for "educational purposes". :rofl:
I still have to wait and see how long my other devices will last, but I am in good spirits that they will last for a long time. After all, there have been many positive experiences here too
I am confused. You say you have had no warranty claims but then go on to say your first unit quit after 6 months. Which is it?

slozukimc,

JBone65

Have been chasing the sweet leaf >50 years. I assumed that the sweet flavor is the thc, weed obviously needs to taste sweet to be good.

Here's where I'm going with this. A year or so back, early one morning I got a 11th draw from my IO and was surpriseded at how stoned I got. I'm slow but still realized that the (terpene?) flavor isn't necessarily required to get thc in any given hit.

IMO the GH extracts the most intense flavor very quickly at a low temp setting. This makes the first hit or two special but it might not mark the end of the load.

Will try to weigh a load before and after to see the difference. If 24% thc by weight, and relatively dry, will the GH reduce the weight by 24%? Although more difficult to use, moist weed should reduce even more as the H2O is evaporated.

Anyway, 10-11 satisfying hits per load and stretching stash is desirable IMO. Okay, sometimes I can be a lazy tightwad, but I think I'm getting maximum enjoyment at a minimum hassle and cost. My (addicted) brain knows the difference between a satisfying hit and one that isn't. Getting a big hit AND BEING SATISFIED is the ultimate test. I challenge everyone to experiment.

cliffhanger1

I am confused. You say you have had no warranty claims but then go on to say your first unit quit after 6 months. Which is it?
i understand your confusion.
So when I cleaned my 1st hopper with air, it worked well again, even if the ABV was no longer nearly black, still ok.
But because I have a lot of units and I was curious what the hopper looks like from the inside, I unscrewed it and unfortunately deformed it a bit with pliers, which is why the front end can only be put on and no longer screwed on. but he works.
I don't know whether he would still have been reliable.
I ONLY disassembled it because I still have 5 whole hoppers + 4 replacement bodies without the defective Body.
1 whole hopper + 1 body only in use now the rest is brand new.
I just love that hopper so much. If I ever submit an RMA then I wait until I have several defective devices so that it is worthwhile because of the expensive shipping from Europe. so if;) we hope for the best, but i'm confident. but since I have my Tafee Bowle, I no longer use it regularly.
maybe it will come again, I still love him :)

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Have been chasing the sweet leaf >50 years. I assumed that the sweet flavor is the thc, weed obviously needs to taste sweet to be good.

Here's where I'm going with this. A year or so back, early one morning I got a 11th draw from my IO and was surpriseded at how stoned I got. I'm slow but still realized that the (terpene?) flavor isn't necessarily required to get thc in any given hit.

IMO the GH extracts the most intense flavor very quickly at a low temp setting. This makes the first hit or two special but it might not mark the end of the load.

Will try to weigh a load before and after to see the difference. If 24% thc by weight, and relatively dry, will the GH reduce the weight by 24%? Although more difficult to use, moist weed should reduce even more as the H2O is evaporated.

Anyway, 10-11 satisfying hits per load and stretching stash is desirable IMO. Okay, sometimes I can be a lazy tightwad, but I think I'm getting maximum enjoyment at a minimum hassle and cost. My (addicted) brain knows the difference between a satisfying hit and one that isn't. Getting a big hit AND BEING SATISFIED is the ultimate test. I challenge everyone to experiment.
While your experience can't be denied, and by now we're sure you know what you like in your high, some of your logic is a bit fuzzy and some is based on just inaccurate generalizations.

Before-and-after weighing won't really get you good information, you'd need to set up a lab or something.
Cannabis is made up of lots more than thc, "terpenes" and water. Some of the ingredients produce psychotropic and other physical effects. Various cannabinoids and other organic matter are released at different temps because they each have their own 'boiling point'.

Pak laid some of it out here;

Top Bottom