• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

cliffhanger1

So, this is what happens :
20210103-230420.jpg

Left is the result off 4 draws on temp 1.
Right is 4 draws on temp 5
Besides the AVB I can say that it was the exact same experience with both temp settings.

It will cost me around 50€ to send my io back for RMA :ugh:
Do you guys think I should try to spray contact cleaner in the backend through the clicker hole? Is there a risk to void the warranty this way?
I am also currently facing the problem of an RMA and shipping costs from Europe :( I don't know whether contact cleaner will help, but I can hardly imagine what I can say that I have very, very dark ABV with io SS at temp 5 , darker than in Tinymight

and I also have the assumption that it not only depends on the backend how dark the ABV is but also on the body. there may also be deviations or installation differences by the body when building the device maybe not only with the Backend??

Edit: i ordered today contact cleaner to clean batterie contact inside the body.

because after more than 6 months it is defect and gets only little warm at temp 5, not hot and no steam, if it not helps what i think, i must sent one of my unit in RMA too, but i sent in only the body if i will do it

Last edited:
cliffhanger1,

cliffhanger1

Have you tried cleaning threads and battery contact points?
It sounds like you'll need a repair/new back end, I'm guessing you know the drill.
They've been good about io warranty stuff.

On another note, I've just experienced my first "all used up" GHb3, that came packaged with an io from early July 2020, so, 6 months of service. I couldn't begin to guess how many charge cycles or any such stat; I have had multiple devices and a bunch of b3's around here.
The behavior is simple; in device, it will go to 'full charge' double blink, but then in when clicked on, soon goes to quick flashing low power indicator.
i have had the same experience that the new GHB3 batteries are starting to give up after more than six months.

I can almost say that I charged it about once a day. i used 4 in rotation so far and will probably switch to new ones in a few weeks. That would be around 180 charging cycles with a gentle charger and 0.5 A charging current only. my worst of the four only lasts for 1 session instead of 3-4 sessions as before

Edit:
i have an question at all.
do you also have a humming noise when the io is on? on my first one, where the body is now defective, I didn't have it. but my 2nd with the old backend (so only new body) has it continuously.

Last edited:

SquirrelMaster

Well, I ordered a titanium IO yesterday morning :). When I discovered the sale the day I almost placed an order a few times but showed restraint knowing my VAS has been flaring up too much lately. I put the IO out of my mind but waking up to Sneaky Pete's vape awards which the IO won the "easiet to use" award was all I needed to place an order. VAS wins again :lol:. I picked up 2 spare batteries, a PFE and a silicone mouth piece so I think I'm good on accessories. I had always planned on buying a Grasshopper through TheHerbCafe so if I had any issues I could ship to them and not cross border but with the sale through Hopper I couldn't resist. I have my fingers crossed that I don't have any issues; customer service and reliability have always scared me away but they both seem to be better especially the later with the IO.

I'll be charging all cells externally as I see that recommended fairly often . Like other vapes, is that just a general recommendation or does the on-board charging have issues? I didn't dig too far back in the thread to refresh my memory but I read about a couple devices/chargers that would require the cable to be unplugged and plugged back in to reset it. Doesn't seem like a super common issue and I know my Xtar VP4 Dragon is a good charger so the included charger will probably never be used.

It sounds like the general recommendations are to not load completely full (80%~)and to keep the device clean for maximum device life. I'm OCD with my gear so I don't see myself ever letting it get that dirty especially if it could cause an issue.

tryingtowin

Does anyone have an s.s and titanium IO to compare the extra 5 watts of power from the Titanium IO. Does the titanium cool down a ton quicker compared to the SS?

tryingtowin,

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I'll be charging all cells externally as I see that recommended fairly often . Like other vapes, is that just a general recommendation or does the on-board charging have issues? I didn't dig too far back in the thread to refresh my memory but I read about a couple devices/chargers that would require the cable to be unplugged and plugged back in to reset it. Doesn't seem like a super common issue and I know my Xtar VP4 Dragon is a good charger so the included charger will probably never be used.
Welcome to the IO! Let us know how you like it. I typically charge batteries externally too and have done so for 4.5 years, first with my OG Hopper and same with my IO (both Ti). I use the original mag charger (version 1, yep) in my car and it works fine with both vapes. Same with the new mag charger that came with the IO - I use it sparingly at home when I need to top off a charge. No issues using my mag chargers. You can always take an extra batt on-the-go too. One of my favorite Hopper accessories is the leather case from Delta3DStudios circa ‘16 which holds all my extra batts.

4 months with my IO and I have zero complaints. It runs hotter vapor wise than my OG and that was expected and I’ve had to adjust my draw technique a bit but it works well. Vapor from every draw! My new glass perc should arrive in a week or two and I’ll be anxious to test that out with the IO and a few other vapes, but I’m mostly a native user. Having charged batts is key. :peace:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I have, for years, gone back and forth between charging methods (Nitecore D2, Xtar, and the manufacturer equipment). Now, I do what is convenient, currently that is the magnetic charger; I have several, in different locations and they are usb convenient. It saves a lot of the screwing/unscrewing ritual that is too big a part of the hopper experience.
The re-set of the charge cable does happen, but only occasionally; if upon attaching to the cable no light blinks (within about 10 seconds), the reset is to unplug the usb from power and then back in.
Of course, if a single battery isn't keeping pace, well, there are are lot more where that one came from!

I've read that device manufacturers like to recommend charging in external charger (though HL does not) because, if battery vents there will be no damage to the device nor liability on part of the manufacturer of the device.

jabba

Does anyone have an s.s and titanium IO to compare the extra 5 watts of power from the Titanium IO. Does the titanium cool down a ton quicker compared to the SS?
I do not have both Ti and SS io's.....although I will in about one week. Previously I did own both SS and Ti in the OG version of the Hopper. I personally would not dwell on that "5 Watt" difference in the marketing. If you prefer lighter weight and think you would benefit from a quicker cool down...by all means go for the Ti......but please understand.....differences in actual performance between these two units will likely be negligible at best. As far as hoping for a quicker heat-up with Ti over the SS?.....I am extremely dubious....at least insofar as real life use(s). The SS is a beast where you can fill, press the button, and get vapor in seconds. I'm sure that the Ti is no different.

I've said before...I prefer the 'feel' of the Hopper in SS over the Ti version. It is heavier, smoother threads and just feels 'right'. The Ti feels more toy-like...and threads feel 'scratchier'. When I owned both in the OG version....I used the SS as a daily driver and the Ti served as backup only. After enjoying the SS io....I've decided to upgrade my OG Ti to an io Ti. I chose Ti for the backup unit simply because it was on sale. If I only had one....for me it would be SS. ymmv

Edit: If I were a heavy ripper....or if I used this as a session vape with a group of friends....or if I packed chamber after chamber for heavy continuous use....I could see how the titanium MIGHT be MILDLY beneficial ONLY insofar as the metal's ability to cool down faster. I don't ever really need such thermal capability...and again....this is all really negligible minutiae in my opinion. I could see how one might have 'buyer's remorse' for having purchased SS when they really kinda/sorta wanted the Ti. Let me just say as someone who has run both SS and Ti OG units for 4+ years.....you need NOT have any such buyer's remorse as one is not clearly superior to the other.

Last edited:

Vaporific

Forgot to mention with the mag charger: I plug it in first to the power then connect my Hopper. I think if you connect the charger to the Hopper first and then plug it in it won’t work. I often have the mag charger already plugged in in my car and just connect the backend and I see flashing lights (red/blue for OG and white for IO) indicating it’s charging. I have a Nitecore and Xtar, both work well and also charge other cell types too

As for loading, loose and medium grind works well. I fill to the top without ramping or packing. With my OG the ABV tends to stick to the screen and it requires occasional tightening. I haven’t experienced this with my IO. I do think they tweaked the screen design in the IO frontend which may mitigate my minor issue with the OG. I fill the IO the same way however: by hand, no funnel or loading tool; I keep the threads clean too. Hope this helps. :peace:

EDIT: I think the IO threads were improved overall. My TI is silky smooth compared to my OG. I can’t compare SS vs. TI IO though I suspect threading would be similar. Make sure threads (and the vape) are clean before first use. My IO, especially backend threads, was a bit dirty when I got it.

Last edited:

someTooL

I own both. For my units, same strain same settings, the Ti hits harder. I temp step from 2-4 native. However, both medicate the same and both dump the same evenly roasted load at the end.

cliffhanger1

Edit:
i have an question at all.
do you also have a humming noise when the io is on? on my first one, where the body is now defective, I didn't have it. but my 2nd with the old backend (so only new body) has it continuously.

nobody wants tell me that ? ok no problem, have fun ;)

cliffhanger1,

cliffhanger1

yes it makes a hummit noise like the Tinymight but little quiter

but "the problem" is only with the body, with the Backend from my first one

Edit: and i owned both too, SS and Titanium. For me the SS hits very very much harder and hotter too !!!:rockon:

i sold the Ti one and now i have 5 Hoppers io in Steel. all with the same weed too and all with the hardest attitude of 5.

Last edited:

tryingtowin

I do not have both Ti and SS io's.....although I will in about one week. Previously I did own both SS and Ti in the OG version of the Hopper. I personally would not dwell on that "5 Watt" difference in the marketing. If you prefer lighter weight and think you would benefit from a quicker cool down...by all means go for the Ti......but please understand.....differences in actual performance between these two units will likely be negligible at best. As far as hoping for a quicker heat-up with Ti over the SS?.....I am extremely dubious....at least insofar as real life use(s). The SS is a beast where you can fill, press the button, and get vapor in seconds. I'm sure that the Ti is no different.

I've said before...I prefer the 'feel' of the Hopper in SS over the Ti version. It is heavier, smoother threads and just feels 'right'. The Ti feels more toy-like...and threads feel 'scratchier'. When I owned both in the OG version....I used the SS as a daily driver and the Ti served as backup only. After enjoying the SS io....I've decided to upgrade my OG Ti to an io Ti. I chose Ti for the backup unit simply because it was on sale. If I only had one....for me it would be SS. ymmv

Edit: If I were a heavy ripper....or if I used this as a session vape with a group of friends....or if I packed chamber after chamber for heavy continuous use....I could see how the titanium MIGHT be MILDLY beneficial ONLY insofar as the metal's ability to cool down faster. I don't ever really need such thermal capability...and again....this is all really negligible minutiae in my opinion. I could see how one might have 'buyer's remorse' for having purchased SS when they really kinda/sorta wanted the Ti. Let me just say as someone who has run both SS and Ti OG units for 4+ years.....you need NOT have any such buyer's remorse as one is not clearly superior to the other.
damn thanks for the reply. I've pondered getting the Ti but everyone says it feels cheap and too light. The SS does have a nice weight and feel. I guess if i needed a backup i would probably get another SS. i see you mentioned in another post you fill your hopper by hand? Grab a business card or small paper the same size and fold it in half and you just dump on the card and tilt into the hopper and fill..you can even tamp the top down lightly with the card and add a pinch more or leave it. I've noticed the extra pinch can add a really nice restrictive flow but still works great.

Vaporific

i see you mentioned in another post you fill your hopper by hand?
I fill by hand too, like 99% of the time for the last 4.5 years (minus one for the year-long RMA on my OG). If you’re paperless and, more importantly for me very minimalistic, I don’t mind filling by hand. It’s all how you store your flower, and I don’t grind often nor care to. I use the crook of my thumb and pointer finger as a funnel and I don’t lose anything. Pretty simple (for me) however I won’t begrudge other methods, most of which are suited for home or stationary use. On-the-go however is another matter. Just different schools of thought.

My OG Ti definitely makes a little noise though I haven’t checked in a long while, prior to its RMA over a year and a half ago. I haven’t even tried listening to my IO (also Ti). All I know is that it works and works well - and May it continue to run well for a long time. Cheers. :peace:

Vaporific

I most def notice that my io back end never gets remotely warm whatsoever while my og's get quite hot and quickly.
Ditto. The IO remains cool though I generally don’t run it above 3.5, and that’s natively. I’ve only used the IO with glass once (old rig broke and a new one is on its way in a few weeks). It’ll be interesting to see how much warmer it will get running it hotter through water. My OG gets very warm in the backend too especially when a battery runs low. I’ve noticed this for a few years. When HL mentioned the improved battery/power management with the IO I think this is why the IO runs cooler overall - and I’m glad I took the plunge with the IO. It’s very hard to beat given its form factor, power and size.

A larger chamber would be nice but I digress... :lol: :peace:

Tweakz

Well, I ordered a titanium IO yesterday morning :). When I discovered the sale the day I almost placed an order a few times but showed restraint knowing my VAS has been flaring up too much lately. I put the IO out of my mind but waking up to Sneaky Pete's vape awards which the IO won the "easiet to use" award was all I needed to place an order. VAS wins again :lol:. I picked up 2 spare batteries, a PFE and a silicone mouth piece so I think I'm good on accessories. I had always planned on buying a Grasshopper through TheHerbCafe so if I had any issues I could ship to them and not cross border but with the sale through Hopper I couldn't resist. I have my fingers crossed that I don't have any issues; customer service and reliability have always scared me away but they both seem to be better especially the later with the IO.

It sounds like the general recommendations are to not load completely full (80%~)and to keep the device clean for maximum device life. I'm OCD with my gear so I don't see myself ever letting it get that dirty especially if it could cause an issue.
congratulations on your purchase bro, I will be glad to hear your comparison with tinymight

vapviking

Old & In the Way
nobody wants tell me that ? ok no problem, have fun ;)
I get no hum, 2 ss io's (nor from about 10 different og's I've had over time).
Clicking, yes.

I had a Pax2 and an Easter Egg in those is the Simon game, involving tones coming from the device -- if you won, henceforth it would play "Funkytown" (very quietly) every time, upon startup. The sound is apparently made by vibrating the heater element at various wave lengths.
Just relating that 'cause it's interesting. I'm pretty sure you don't have an intentional hidden bonus in your io.

Vaporific

congratulations on your purchase bro, I will be glad to hear your comparison with tinymight
There’s a separate thread for that. I’ve opined there with my earlier IO experience. I haven’t posted an update there in a while. Both are great in their own way. The edge goes to _______ (I leave you in suspense or read the other thread :lol:). :peace:

SquirrelMaster

Oh yeah for sure! I need to do a few comparisons with all the devices I've bought this year. I'm guessing the IO will compare well with the Bowle because of the quick heat up time but I guess I'll see. I'm hoping it ships today, I anticipate a slow journey north to my frozen wasteland via USPS.

cliffhanger1

I get no hum, 2 ss io's (nor from about 10 different og's I've had over time).
Clicking, yes.

I had a Pax2 and an Easter Egg in those is the Simon game, involving tones coming from the device -- if you won, henceforth it would play "Funkytown" (very quietly) every time, upon startup. The sound is apparently made by vibrating the heater element at various wave lengths.
Just relating that 'cause it's interesting. I'm pretty sure you don't have an intentional hidden bonus in your io.
lol

So this hum is also very quiet and I have now tested 3/5 of my hoppers, all of them have the noise.
Strange that nobody else has it. I still have to try my 2 others, but since it is not only on one of my devices and the hopper employee also told me it
was normal, everything is good for me !!! :) because all devices have it

and you can only hear it when the device is on and you hold the oven close to your ear ;)

It can hardly be such a coincidence that only my 5 devices have it and no one else :lol:

or you mean with click the same what i mean with hum..it sounds it sounds like a fast running quieter.
but it doesn't matter. everything is fine for me

Top Bottom