• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued Hopper io

jabba

Well, I have a new IO on the way. I never jumped on the wagon when the Hopper first dropped. Time to make up for some lost time. Any tips/tricks/mandatory accessories?

So Far I have garnered the following tips:
  1. take a clearing puff
  2. don't use the charger (I have a nitecore I4)
  3. dont tamp hard
TIA!
You are off to a good start. I've had hoppers since 2016 and use them as my primary (in fact my only since 2016 until I recently bought a Dynavap 2020M). I only use natively....and the only accessories that I have bought/use are (a) Nitecore charger (b) HL silicone tips (c) HL leather sleeve. You really don't 'need' the Nitecore. If you plan to use natively imo you do 'need' the silicone tip. I do use the leather sleeve to store my hopper...not necessary....but a nice clean home for the Hopper feeds my OCD.

After looking for a LONG time for the 'just right' vial to use for cleaning my front end...I finally ordered 1 from Hopper. I would recommend that you have an appropriately sized vial of some sort that you can store/clean your front end over-night during routine cleanings in isopropyl alcohol.

Unlike many of the other vapes which have an 'ecosystem' for you to tinker with...buy accessories....try different bits etc. A functioning Hopper and a working/charged battery are really all that you 'need' for the Hopper. Sure...you can add a glass/water cooling piece....a case....a funnel...yadda yadda.....but I suggest you wait. Just get the Hopper and a silicone tip for now.....see what you think....then later if you see some accessory that floats your boat....go for it. I have never even felt that I needed a 'performance front end' and I have never tried one. I understand that accessories or collecting can be fun....I see the 'accessorizing' as being more of a 'deal' in the world of Dynavap and others....but with the Hopper it is really just 'click' and go....not much else is really needed from a functional or aesthetic perspective. The beauty of the Hopper is its simplicity and the LACK of need for extraneous accessories and bits.

I've had good luck with my Hoppers and I take care of them. Comparatively I am near certain that I would be considered a 'light' user...at least among predominant FC subscribers. Despite my use(s)...I take care of my Hoppers and clean threads, front end, chamber and it is NEVER 'gunked up'. I wish to stay as far away as possible from HL's customer service...for as long as I am able to do so. I recommend that you do the same in hopes that your Hopper will give you similar service.

Oh...and pick yourself up an extra battery or two. You'll thank me later.

Last edited:

Mr. Me2

I’ll give you an alternative to the vial suggestion from @jabba. I clean my mouthpiece by dropping it in a baggie with enough iso to cover it. I put the baggie in a cup of very hot water. I rarely soak more than 30 minutes and then rinse and dry.

And I agree to empty and clean the gh after you finish a load and while the gh is still warm. I use the mini poke and scoop around the insides of the oven and wipe it off on a tissue. I repeat a few times until the poker remains pretty clean. I use the same tool inside the mouthpiece to scrape the screen. I don’t bother with an iso soak until I either feel a restricted draw or screwing the mouthpiece on isn’t as smooth.

Did I save you some $$$?

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I’ll give you an alternative to the vial suggestion from @jabba. I clean my mouthpiece by dropping it in a baggie with enough iso to cover it. I put the baggie in a cup of very hot water. I rarely soak more than 30 minutes and then rinse and dry.

And I agree to empty and clean the gh after you finish a load and while the gh is still warm. I use the mini poke and scoop around the insides of the oven and wipe it off on a tissue. I repeat a few times until the poker remains pretty clean. I use the same tool inside the mouthpiece to scrape the screen. I don’t bother with an iso soak until I either feel a restricted draw or screwing the mouthpiece on isn’t as smooth.

Did I save you some $$$?
I have been using baggies too lately though I must have a bad box as they leak. I may go back to a Hopper vial I bought in ‘16 with my OG and a baby food jar for larger soaks with other parts. The Hopper vial also holds my Tinymight short stem well too. With a baggie I squeeze the air out and hang it with a binder clip and let things soak. You can gently shake the bag and agitate things a bit while soaking. Lots of good cleaning methods out there.

For brushing I generally use a wide interdental brush sold in most pharmacies. They come in packs. I keep one in my leather case for the Hopper along with extra batts (and a flower back in the day but no longer or at least not recently). If I lose an interdental it can be replaced. You can stick one easily in a pocket if your on-the-go too with just the Hopper in the leather sleeve.

Having bought my OG in ‘16 and IO 3.5 months ago (both Ti) I’ve never longed for any loading tool. I just use the crook of my hand to hold it and as a natural funnel (usually OCD about having clean hands). I’m a major native user too with all my vapes and I like to keep things simple. I own several silicone tips and rarely use them except for the odd occasion or mating with glass (which I can’t do now as I’m without thanks to my ever curious feline friend - I’ll get a replacement, for the rig not my cat! :) ). However it’s true that the Hopper is very simplistic, and I enjoy it more and mostly with the native frontend over the PFE which is a nice-to-have though it does increase air flow a lot. I enjoy doing moderate temp draws on either my OG or Ti with some minor temp stepping and getting wonderful clouds. Flavor was never a big draw for me with the Hopper but you can’t beat the size and, when working properly, the performance for its form factor. :peace:

slozukimc

I have been using baggies too lately though I must have a bad box as they leak. I may go back to a Hopper vial I bought in ‘16 with my OG and a baby food jar for larger soaks with other parts. The Hopper vial also holds my Tinymight short stem well too. With a baggie I squeeze the air out and hang it with a binder clip and let things soak. You can gently shake the bag and agitate things a bit while soaking. Lots of good cleaning methods out there.

For brushing I generally use a wide interdental brush sold in most pharmacies. They come in packs. I keep one in my leather case for the Hopper along with extra batts (and a flower back in the day but no longer or at least not recently). If I lose an interdental it can be replaced. You can stick one easily in a pocket if your on-the-go too with just the Hopper in the leather sleeve.

Having bought my OG in ‘16 and IO 3.5 months ago (both Ti) I’ve never longed for any loading tool. I just use the crook of my hand to hold it and as a natural funnel (usually OCD about having clean hands). I’m a major native user too with all my vapes and I like to keep things simple. I own several silicone tips and rarely use them except for the odd occasion or mating with glass (which I can’t do now as I’m without thanks to my ever curious feline friend - I’ll get a replacement, for the rig not my cat! :) ). However it’s true that the Hopper is very simplistic, and I enjoy it more and mostly with the native frontend over the PFE which is a nice-to-have though it does increase air flow a lot. I enjoy doing moderate temp draws on either my OG or Ti with some minor temp stepping and getting wonderful clouds. Flavor was never a big draw for me with the Hopper but you can’t beat the size and, when working properly, the performance for its form factor. :peace:
It isn’t a popular opinion from what I see but I absolutely love my Hopper Feeder. You can go from empty to loaded, vaped, baked and back in your pocket in 60 seconds.

ChooChooCharlie

Recent posts about feeder elicited memory:

Phil Lesh and Friends, Phil-O-Ween, 2016 in Port Chester, NY, before moving West

So happy with Hopper and Feeder -- (feeder is @Kfirrer 's baby) -- walked past security holding "pen" openly

Was thrilled, loading with feeder in near darkness...but, wait, not getting good hits, shit, swapped battery, still tight draw, little vapor, fuck, what's wrong!?

Wasn't until set break and lights, realized I had not emptied completely. Puck of dark avb stuck in there. Did not have toothpick or anything, and had been simply rapping out, not well apparently, Was compressing more every time I used feeder. Classic choo DOH moment

Lesson: dig out avb, you dig?

slozukimc

Recent posts about feeder elicited memory:

Phil Lesh and Friends, Phil-O-Ween, 2016 in Port Chester, NY, before moving West

So happy with Hopper and Feeder -- (feeder is @Kfirrer 's baby) -- walked past security holding "pen" openly

Was thrilled, loading with feeder in near darkness...but, wait, not getting good hits, shit, swapped battery, still tight draw, little vapor, fuck, what's wrong!?

Wasn't until set break and lights, realized I had not emptied completely. Puck of dark avb stuck in there. Did not have toothpick or anything, and had been simply rapping out, not well apparently, Was compressing more every time I used feeder. Classic choo DOH moment

Lesson: dig out avb, you dig?
The only thing I have thought the Feeder needs is a slide out poker/debowler. I don’t save my AVB when out and about so that would make it perfect.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
It isn’t a popular opinion from what I see but I absolutely love my Hopper Feeder.
Do you have any tips on keeping the feeder smooth-functioning? I couldn't seem to keep it clean enough and the smallest grit getting in the pathways made for headaches. I liked it in concept and would like to try it again sometime, but I spent a fair amount of time dis-assembling to clean it.
Classic choo DOH moment
...and in that crowd you'd really like to at least look like you know your way around some cannabis

Hoey420

Thanks to Vapviking and Molten Tiger for the head ups on the hopper io, i paid for a ss io and 3 batteries on the 24th November and received them today 24th December :)
The 2019 hopper has been serving me well now with the io i have two good hoppers out of five and lucky me for always have a working hopper since 2016 .

I will trade in for more hopper io with my dead legacy hoppers when i am ready.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Thanks to Vapviking and Molten Tiger for the head ups on the hopper io, i paid for a ss io and 3 batteries on the 24th November and received them today 24th December :)
The 2019 hopper has been serving me well now with the io i have two good hoppers out of five and lucky me for always have a working hopper since 2016 .

I will trade in for more hopper io with my dead legacy hoppers when i am ready.
Seems a no-brainer, to me!
Glad you are enjoying the io.
I placed order Dec. 5 and recv'd io on the 23rd.

I already notice once small difference compared to an io I got about 4-5 few months ago. With only that one for a while, and though I could compare it to a couple of og's I had, I had one main complaint -- high heat exiting the air intake holes. I can not put a finger near the holes during operation (not that I would normally anyway) because it gets very hot. The io that came yesterday is much 'cooler' to the touch (normal) by comparison. Of course, it's a hot area anyway, but this issue is one I have referred to as the 'blast furnace' because it's that noticeable. I'm real happy to see this 'improvement' to the fleet!
I easily did 4 bowls (5-7 hits) with his new one, maybe could have gone further. I believe it's more efficient than its twin, what with not sending heat out the window like we do at my house.

Vaporific

Seems a no-brainer, to me!
Glad you are enjoying the io.
I placed order Dec. 5 and recv'd io on the 23rd.

I already notice once small difference compared to an io I got about 4-5 few months ago. With only that one for a while, and though I could compare it to a couple of og's I had, I had one main complaint -- high heat exiting the air intake holes. I can not put a finger near the holes during operation (not that I would normally anyway) because it gets very hot. The io that came yesterday is much 'cooler' to the touch (normal) by comparison. Of course, it's a hot area anyway, but this issue is one I have referred to as the 'blast furnace' because it's that noticeable. I'm real happy to see this 'improvement' to the fleet!
I easily did 4 bowls (5-7 hits) with his new one, maybe could have gone further. I believe it's more efficient than its twin, what with not sending heat out the window like we do at my house.
“Efficient” is spot on. Consistent too. Glad you’re enjoying them both. I Hopped exclusively last night with my IO Ti and was doing low temp for a while and enjoying the flavor. I’m sure have more power has a lot to do with the performance yet I believe the secret sauce is the improved power management. That to me is efficiency. I couldn’t imagine not having a Hopper of any kind at this point. Hope the positive IO experiences continue!

How does one inquire or go about trading in an OG? I emailed them weeks ago around the last battery discount period and never heard back. :peace:

spamjam

I contacted Hopper regarding color Ti status, the order page still indicated estimated Nov. ship date. Got a reply today:

"Thanks for contacting us. Color units are not yet shipping. It will be another 30 days before the colors are ready to ship due to the virus closing the anodizing facility. We can switch your order to plain Titanium, which is the same unit just no anodizing. Please let us know if you would like to switch and have it shipped right away."

Order page now shows estimated ship date of Jan. 2021.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I contacted Hopper regarding color Ti status, the order page still indicated estimated Nov. ship date. Got a reply today:

"Thanks for contacting us. Color units are not yet shipping. It will be another 30 days before the colors are ready to ship due to the virus closing the anodizing facility. We can switch your order to plain Titanium, which is the same unit just no anodizing. Please let us know if you would like to switch and have it shipped right away."

Order page now shows estimated ship date of Jan. 2021.
Why, oh why do they continue this kick-can-down-road policy?
They could have as easily said they have no idea when the color io's will be ready, let the customer decide whether to go on that uncertain ride.
Soon we'll be able to say a year of delay has gone by on these.
SSDD from HL.

Vaporific

Nobody has mentioned: I got an email from HL on Saturday with an offer for 20% off on Ti io's and batts good through Jan 3rd. This appears to be for titanium io's only (or for battery orders).
Saw that too and was going to posit something here but never did. Curious it’s just for the Ti and not SS. I won’t speculate even with the continual delay of the heat treated units which I believe are Ti. Maybe the Ti inventory is too great and time to lighten up on them?

I sent HL another trade-in inquiry today. Let’s see if they reply or too fixated on reducing the Ti inventory with the promotion - my inquiry involves an IO SS however. :peace:

jabba

Saw that too and was going to posit something here but never did. Curious it’s just for the Ti and not SS. I won’t speculate even with the continual delay of the heat treated units which I believe are Ti. Maybe the Ti inventory is too great and time to lighten up on them?

I sent HL another trade-in inquiry today. Let’s see if they reply or too fixated on reducing the Ti inventory with the promotion - my inquiry involves an IO SS however. :peace:

Great minds think alike. I too really like the SS personally....but I have one already. Perhaps its time to part with my OG Ti for an io Ti upgrade.

Vaporific

Great minds think alike. I too really like the SS personally....but I have one already. Perhaps its time to part with my OG Ti for an io Ti upgrade.
I’m nearly the opposite: I have a OG Ti I’d consider trading in for a new SS IO. Never used or had an SS and would be fun to try. My OG still works too and it’s not imperative I trade it in. If HL does reply after my last attempt the other day, great, otherwise I’ll stand pat with both Hoppers, OG and IO.

What continues to impress me with the IO is consistent vapor on every draw. I couldn’t say this with my then new OG back in ‘16 which was mostly good but also exhibited some inconsistencies. I also think the older batches of batteries were inconsistent too (I’ve had a few duds but not recently). Also, the IO’s battery management I think is a key enhancement, as well as increased power. All good so far with my IO 3.5+ months in - glad I got it! :peace:

jabba

I’m nearly the opposite: I have a OG Ti I’d consider trading in for a new SS IO. Never used or had an SS and would be fun to try. My OG still works too and it’s not imperative I trade it in. If HL does reply after my last attempt the other day, great, otherwise I’ll stand pat with both Hoppers, OG and IO.

What continues to impress me with the IO is consistent vapor on every draw. I couldn’t say this with my then new OG back in ‘16 which was mostly good but also exhibited some inconsistencies. I also think the older batches of batteries were inconsistent too (I’ve had a few duds but not recently). Also, the IO’s battery management I think is a key enhancement, as well as increased power. All good so far with my IO 3.5+ months in - glad I got it! :peace:
Yups. I've always been partial to the SS....mostly due to 'hand feel'. The Ti feels more toy-like by comparison and I really don't benefit much from titanium's thermal 'superiority' which may benefit some users more than others.

I agree that the io is impressive. The io form is the same as og....but the battery and performance has been greatly enhanced without some of the og's quirks. I have noticed that when the io ss gives me the low power light flash....it is no longer usable due to declined heat/power. The good part is that it takes me seemingly A LOT longer to get to a low battery on the io vs. the og...and that it seemingly runs on full power all the way up to the point/time of light flash.

I hope that my io just keeps chugging along in good health. I find the device to be rather amazing in its combined form, function and ease of use & maintenance/cleaning. It is hard to beat imo.

Last edited:

Mndeadhead

Would love some advice from some seasoned vets. I got a SS IO about a month ago and love it-hits hard and tastes great. My gal wanted one for Christmas, so I get her the Ti version. So far I have been extremely underwhelmed. I’ve cleaned everything I can clean, cycled through 5 different batteries, tried find grind, medium grind, tight pack, loose pack-results are always the same-extremely disappointing. I would have anticipated more powerful at lower temps, but same results. I have Submit a warranty claim, but would rather not have to go through that, if it’s something that I could fix on my own. Has anyone experienced this, and have any advice? This is a brand new titanium device with very very little vapor production

jabba

Would love some advice from some seasoned vets. I got a SS IO about a month ago and love it-hits hard and tastes great. My gal wanted one for Christmas, so I get her the Ti version. So far I have been extremely underwhelmed. I’ve cleaned everything I can clean, cycled through 5 different batteries, tried find grind, medium grind, tight pack, loose pack-results are always the same-extremely disappointing. I would have anticipated more powerful at lower temps, but same results. I have Submit a warranty claim, but would rather not have to go through that, if it’s something that I could fix on my own. Has anyone experienced this, and have any advice? This is a brand new titanium device with very very little vapor production
Well....I suppose it could be the herb?....but I also assume you are using same herb in SS and Ti for comparison's sake. It sounds like you may have a problem with your Ti unit given that apparently you are not having a battery issue....and given that you are able to compare with your SS unit. There is no 'fix' that I know of. I would sent it to Boulder for repair.

My SS io.....I always start on 2....and still to my never-ending surprise I get decent vapor within seconds of my first pull with a fresh load. From there the vapor increases until the material is fully vaped....and I temp step up to about 3.5'ish for a load (natively).

Perhaps you got a bad Ti?

ChooChooCharlie

@Mndeadhead - That's a shame. I'm what you might call well seasoned, or pickled, but can't think of anything that might help your ti other than an RMA. Since it's new, they may respond quickly, so you two can relax and listen to old shows

Love that rapid, robust hopper signature

Before shit, shave, and shower, I always have a hopper hit
thanks-I-needed-that.jpg

You can't spell morning without io

Mndeadhead

Well....I suppose it could be the herb?....but I also assume you are using same herb in SS and Ti for comparison's sake. It sounds like you may have a problem with your Ti unit given that apparently you are not having a battery issue....and given that you are able to compare with your SS unit. There is no 'fix' that I know of. I would sent it to Boulder for repair.

My SS io.....I always start on 2....and still to my never-ending surprise I get decent vapor within seconds of my first pull with a fresh load. From there the vapor increases until the material is fully vaped....and I temp step up to about 3.5'ish for a load (natively).

Perhaps you got a bad Ti?
It feels that way, but wanted to make sure. I can put material in the Ti, hot it 5-6 times, get no
Vapor, dump it out (still green), put that in my SS it hits crazy good. Ive even swapped out the top part to see if that was the issue, but it still heats up my SS
with no issues, and I have the same result with the Ti body-nothing. I’ve submitted the claim and am ready to pack and ship but thought I’d see if any of you geniuses have a quick fix. Sounds like the answer is no.

@Mndeadhead - That's a shame. I'm what you might call well seasoned, or pickled, but can't think of anything that might help your ti other than an RMA. Since it's new, they may respond quickly, so you two can relax and listen to old shows

Love that rapid, robust hopper signature

Before shit, shave, and shower, I always have a hopper hit
thanks-I-needed-that.jpg

You can't spell morning without io
Thanks my friend

Thanks for your help all.

Top Bottom