Discontinued Hopper io

MoltenTiger

What temp is 5? Isn't it impossible to combust at the advertised temp?
the io allegedly maxes out at 230 C with unknown accuracy. Combustion begins at ~240 C, so it is quite close to it in theory. But humidity of the flower, airflow, ambient temp, altitude, and probably other variables, will cause different reactions.

The legacy hoppers maxed out at 210 C, and I have combusted with one that was obviously running hot. It was very close to the 240 C ballpark because it didn't really ignite, it kind of smouldered and produced minimal ash.

The things are supposed to detect most of the above so that it performs as desired, ie. no smoke.
However on the occasion it doesn't work. Not many units have run like that, it's much more common for them to run cold. They might run cold because the ability to prevent runaway temps is lost, perhaps. It's probably designed to err on the side of caution rather than potential explosions and released carcinogens.

I do prefer vapes that are dialled in to the sweet spot just below combustion/240 C, and the hopper io is meant to do that on temp 5 from factory, they are not supposed to be able to reach combustion. But being that it's much closer in temp and the accuracy of the device remains questionable, it's a slight possibility. If you can manually dial it down enough to prevent it, it would theoretically offer the most powerful extraction and effect at least, but it isn't designed to get that hot.

I wonder how the ICs deal with the heat in these things. My suspicion is not always very well.

Baron23

Right????......Are they actually saying they released another product that was not finished?
Let's be real.....the IO isn't a new product, it IS the product improvment version release.

So, wtf are they talking about wrt to making more config changes....they have had YEARS to get the improvements to the GH (which is what the IO is) designed, tested, and then config controlled.

Wow......I really don't understand these guys and I have tried.

slozukimc

Let's be real.....the IO isn't a new product, it IS the product improvment version release.

So, wtf are they talking about wrt to making more config changes....they have had YEARS to get the improvements to the GH (which is what the IO is) designed, tested, and then config controlled.

Wow......I really don't understand these guys and I have tried.
There is nothing to do here but agree with you and hope that Tolamang’s is a fluke.

Vaporific

All who wander are not lost...
I respectively disagree. I think the io is different and improved in many ways. Indeed same form factor but it’s really version 2.0 compared to all the things done with the legacy version. I won’t quibble though on this.

However, if HL is now making small enhancements to the io then that raises concern - that QC wasn’t done well enough from the onset again (same as legacy IO).

AGAIN, QC and batteries will either drag them down or elevate them and possibly get them out of the hole they’re in. Customer service needs a swift kick too but if things were/are working well from the start you can take this with a grain of salt and improve on it later (but that hasn’t been the case).

I truly believe the io to be a different animal and product than legacy Hopper, IMO. Peace & cheers. :peace:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Also curious if the io will be a "work in progress" with rolling changes, like we saw with the first 'hopper? Or is the io a "finished" product?

The io will not be significantly updated on the go. Development will shift to future products.

Also, they mentioned it might not be the final version of the IO.

Yep, wtf does this mean?

I've got trust issues so I take it all with a pinch of salt and tbh, I wouldn't have got involved if I really did give a fuck.

:peace:

Vapetrees

Vaped Out
Say what? Wow

• There are still minor changes in the software that are ongoing. If you take your unit now it may or may not end up with the absolute latest version.
  • Because the new batteries have not yet arrived, we will ship it to you with an old generation battery, which may affect performance. We will test thebatteries to the best of our abilitiesbut we cannot guarantee they will have the same performance the new batch will.”
  • Btw mine is running really well and it’s the best GH I’ve had.

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
When I did my first battery test I used my PFE and a j-hook so I could take the longest draw possible, 25-30 seconds, and I cleared the chamber in 1 draw. I extracted 6 chambers with a single draw before I reached the low power mode and recharged. I think I could have easily squeezed another chamber before the battery depleted so I’ll say 7 chambers total. In the name of science I pushed myself further than I usually go with my Grasshopper which is a 15-20 second draw native. I generally get 2-3 draws per chamber using it like that, depending on material and if I’m temp stepping or not.

I tried the test again with my best battery using it like I normally do, a couple of 15-20 second hits per chamber. I used the Hopper io frontend native and my best battery. I fully extracted 5 chambers before the battery died.

When I put that battery on my Nitcore D2 charger it was at 3.54V which is the lowest I’ve ever seen with GHBs. When new I’ve seen them in the low 3.6x range, older ones like mine tend to read 3.7x or even 3.8x after the battery is depleted.

I’ve always thought the low battery cutoff was a bit conservative with the Grasshopper. I think the overall gains in efficiency may also be allowing them to run the cell to a lower voltage in the Hopper io with the same performance.

There have been efficiency gains with my io no matter how I use it. There will probably be a certain way to use it to maximize the battery life to its utmost potential but the added efficiency actually means that’s less of a concern now. I’m happy with the battery life with my old cells, it will be interesting to see what is possible with new cells.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after initial testing I switched strains to one with a higher potency. The second strain was 26.7% THC vs the first’s 19.8% and I was having trouble clearing a chamber with a single draw, even a long 25-30 second draw using my j-hook. I always needed a cleanup hit because there were more goodies to begin with.

Last edited:

hopperhead

When I did my first battery test I used my PFE and a j-hook so I could take the longest draw possible, 25-30 seconds, and I cleared the chamber in 1 draw. I extracted 6 chambers with a single draw before I reached the low power mode and recharged. I think I could have easily squeezed another chamber before the battery depleted so I’ll say 7 chambers total. In the name of science I pushed myself further than I usually go with my Grasshopper which is a 15-20 second draw native. I generally get 2-3 draws per chamber using it like that, depending on material and if I’m temp stepping or not.

I tried the test again with my best battery using it like I normally do, a couple of 15-20 second hits per chamber. I used the Hopper io frontend native and my best battery. I fully extracted 5 chambers before the battery died.

When I put that battery on my Nitcore D2 charger it was at 3.54V which is the lowest I’ve ever seen with GHBs. When new I’ve seen them in the low 3.6x range, older ones like mine tend to read 3.7x or even 3.8x after the battery is depleted.

I’ve always thought the low battery cutoff was a bit conservative with the Grasshopper. I think the overall gains in efficiency may also be allowing them to run the cell to a lower voltage in the Hopper io with the same performance.

There have been efficiency gains with my io no matter how I use it. There will probably be a certain way to use it to maximize the battery life to its utmost potential but the added efficiency actually means that’s less of a concern now. I’m happy with the battery life with my old cells, it will be interesting to see what is possible with new cells.

Edit: I forgot to mention that after initial testing I switched strains to one with a higher potency. The second strain was 26.7% THC vs the first’s 19.8% and I was having trouble clearing a chamber with a single draw, even a long 25-30 second draw using my j-hook. I always needed a cleanup hit because there were more goodies to begin with.

Have you tried using it while charging? Does it still need a little bit of charge to work or can it work immediately plugged in from dead? I think when my IO gets here im going to try to use it like i did the og hopper and turn it off halfway from my normal draw after a couple of hits once the chamber stays nice and warm. Im sure battery life can be extended that way

YetAnotherUsername

Youngster vaporist
Not related to IO more than the OG hopper, but still - can confirm these 510 drip tips work perfectly to elimiate hopper body heat =) Just recieved mine straight from quarantine ;). Hopefully the batteries will arrive soon too :)

Went with these afterall =)

Stainless-Steel-510-MTL-Drip-Tip-for-Nautilus-2S-Nautilus-2-Flash-E-Vapor-V4-V4.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33017038785.html?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33059295154.html?

Just got 2 of these in today's mail, so far, so good.
They do work great!

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
Have you tried using it while charging? Does it still need a little bit of charge to work or can it work immediately plugged in from dead? I think when my IO gets here im going to try to use it like i did the og hopper and turn it off halfway from my normal draw after a couple of hits once the chamber stays nice and warm. Im sure battery life can be extended that way
I just tested this and the Hopper io cannot work when immediately plugged in from dead, it needs a little charge to work. So in other words it’s not true pass through charging, the magnetic charger simply charges the battery and will not power the device on its own.

I’ve also been trying to test how hot the body gets. The standard mouthpiece seems to stay cooler than the PFE, and it seems better than the Grasshopper frontend as well. The io can get hot but it seems like a definite improvement over the GH. I need to take three hits back to back before it starts to become uncomfortable.

hopperhead

I just tested this and the Hopper io cannot work when immediately plugged in from dead, it needs a little charge to work. So in other words it’s not true pass through charging, the magnetic charger simply charges the battery and will not power the device on its own.

I’ve also been trying to test how hot the body gets. The standard mouthpiece seems to stay cooler than the PFE, and it seems better than the Grasshopper frontend as well. The io can get hot but it seems like a definite improvement over the GH. I need to take three hits back to back before it starts to become uncomfortable.
does the on switch spin still? the og hopper you can spin the power button and hear the spring spinning inside..does the IO still do this? Also the clicker can move side to side..is it stil loose or tighter?

hopperhead,

JCat

Accessory Maker

Can you use the native IO mouthpiece o the OG hopper?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I was just on the hopper.io site and fooled around. I had an io in cart (projected ship date "April", oh, boy!) and used the convenient "add battery" feature, where there was zero indication that there are no batteries available at present (oh, boy!), so I then decided to go to 'accessories' and add another battery. On the battery product page, projected shipping indicated is June!
Oh, boy!
Needless to say, I did not finalize the order.
Also of note, for the $309 order, HL would charge $4.93 for standard shipping. Nice touch.

Vaporific

I was just on the hopper.io site and fooled around. I had an io in cart (projected ship date "April", oh, boy!) and used the convenient "add battery" feature, where there was zero indication that there are no batteries available at present (oh, boy!), so I then decided to go to 'accessories' and add another battery. On the battery product page, projected shipping indicated is June!
Oh, boy!
Needless to say, I did not finalize the order.
Also of note, for the $309 order, HL would charge $4.93 for standard shipping. Nice touch.
The moral of the story: it behooves one to wait given HL’s track record. That’s why I’m waiting this time unlike 5 years ago for legacy Hopper pre-orders. I understand the pandemic issues and all but timing couldn’t have been worse. HL and those of us who’d like to support them by buying new product and accessories will again wait and wait...:peace:

EDIT: no offense or deference to the early adopters as most are seasoned Hopper veterans by now. I contemplated getting an IO and still thinking about it as I love my Hopper, I really do, but I’ll gladly wait.

Last edited:

Chronicles22

Although it is tempting to ask for them to send me my ordered io now, I’m trying my best to be patient and just wait for the units to ship out with the appropriate battery. I thought I remembered them saying that the batteries were sitting in wait at a port in the US but then I also heard that the units aren’t expected to actually ship until June now? I wonder if that’s to allow them extra time to just test the units with the new batteries before letting them all loose into the wild.

Uridium

Although it is tempting to ask for them to send me my ordered io now, I’m trying my best to be patient and just wait for the units to ship out with the appropriate battery. I thought I remembered them saying that the batteries were sitting in wait at a port in the US but then I also heard that the units aren’t expected to actually ship until June now? I wonder if that’s to allow them extra time to just test the units with the new batteries before letting them all loose into the wild.

I am in the same boat, I ordered a blue one with PFE to match and an extra battery....
Been waiting a looong time for a unit that works, in the meantime I might have to get something to fill the gap.

the wait it excruciating knowing how good the unit is when it works!

Uridium,

Macicman

I respectively disagree. I think the io is different and improved in many ways. Indeed same form factor but it’s really version 2.0 compared to all the things done with the legacy version. I won’t quibble though on this.

However, if HL is now making small enhancements to the io then that raises concern - that QC wasn’t done well enough from the onset again (same as legacy IO).

AGAIN, QC and batteries will either drag them down or elevate them and possibly get them out of the hole they’re in. Customer service needs a swift kick too but if things were/are working well from the start you can take this with a grain of salt and improve on it later (but that hasn’t been the case).

I truly believe the io to be a different animal and product than legacy Hopper, IMO. Peace & cheers. :peace:
@Baron23 can be blunt and I respect him. At the end of the day he is still a "dope gun"(TM) man.

Vaporific

@Baron23 can be blunt and I respect him. At the end of the day he is still a "dope gun"(TM) man.
I respect him too. All good. I do think the IO is a different animal but I won’t argue over it. Just hoping it and HL live up to expectations. It’s been tough.:peace:

Top Bottom