Discontinued Hopper io

VGOODIEZ

Home of the Heavies
Retailer
@VGOODIEZ , I agree with you, and don't agree with you; the part that bothers me is the misinformation and false dates.

If what you say is true, when one contacts them about warranty service for an OG, that is what they should be told, that currently funds are lacking to complete all service requests, and when warranty claims can be completed is unknown; not we will have it to you in 3-6 months if they have no concrete plan on how that timeline is going to come to fruition. Just my 2 cents. (and I upgraded one of my OG Hoppers to an IO ... I do hope they survive and am happy they are producing what seems to be the product we had all hoped for)
To be clear I am speculating but speculating and Trevor has basically indicated that. When you add everything up in your head it makes sense. But yes I agree with you on both the communication and transparency. I never got into too much of the past and decisions/reasons behind things but it's the biggest bruise on the brand in my opinion.

MonkeyTime

@JCat and those of you that have traded up to an IO, did they request your charger along with the hopper?

I have two working GH's, a Ti and SS, both are at the marginally heating stage and aren't worth the bother, sad with the Maxvapor battery sled, but so goes life. I also have a SS body, but the backend is no longer. They offered the standard credit if returned with the chargers, and the chargers just seem a bit petty and is irking me.

They're still holding my batteries hostage from last year, they acknowledge they owe them, but seem to be dragging their feet. I completely agree with you @JCat , a little transparency here would do wonders for my perspective. This just seems like one bail out after another, it's unfortunate, but I can't help but believe if these guys squared up with everyone for the chargers, cases, and other miscellaneous items we're all owed, they'd be so far under even they might give up.

On a positive note, and the reason I still follow, my IO is working great. The backend feels a bit loose and it's getting hot even with a full battery, but still fully functional. Yes, I do want them to survive, and it does seem both the product and their acumen is improving, but I can only sign up for so much abuse!

vapviking

Old & In the Way
those of you that have traded up to an IO, did they request your charger along with the hopper?
No, they did not ask for my charger(s). I got $80 credit for each of 2 ss og's; it does seem petty to me, as well as an uneven treatment/unclear policy, which is one of the issues you guys are talking about here.

All well and good that the future looks a little brighter, but we need to hear some solid policy statements about trade-ins, about the fate of og Grasshoppers (& warranty) going forward, etc., etc.

JCat

Accessory Maker
@JCat and those of you that have traded up to an IO, did they request your charger along with the hopper?

I have two working GH's, a Ti and SS, both are at the marginally heating stage and aren't worth the bother, sad with the Maxvapor battery sled, but so goes life. I also have a SS body, but the backend is no longer. They offered the standard credit if returned with the chargers, and the chargers just seem a bit petty and is irking me.

They're still holding my batteries hostage from last year, they acknowledge they owe them, but seem to be dragging their feet. I completely agree with you @JCat , a little transparency here would do wonders for my perspective. This just seems like one bail out after another, it's unfortunate, but I can't help but believe if these guys squared up with everyone for the chargers, cases, and other miscellaneous items we're all owed, they'd be so far under even they might give up.

On a positive note, and the reason I still follow, my IO is working great. The backend feels a bit loose and it's getting hot even with a full battery, but still fully functional. Yes, I do want them to survive, and it does seem both the product and their acumen is improving, but I can only sign up for so much abuse!
I didn’t actually return anything, just traded in my warranty on a unit that has sat in a drawer unusable for a year or two (that was part of my conditions)

cost for me to ship back since I’m international would be about $25

MonkeyTime

I think I'll offer them my 2 OG's without chargers and see what they say for the $160 credit. I think I actually have an original style two wire charger and one of the newer style that broke right at the magnetic head that I could send back, but I'm kinda feeling like standing on principal this time. Just cus HL.....

Guest399

If Hopper Labs doesn't send out my replacement delivery tomorrow, I'll open a case on PayPal so that I get the money back. (over 680 Dollar).

If necessary, I hire a lawyer to get the money and report to the Colorado Better Business Bureau. ( 3801 E. Florida Avenue
Suite 350 Denver, Colorado 80210 Get Directions)

Then I shit on them and vape with other vapes from sellers with excellent service. If you order a new vape from HL, they will deliver within a few hours,
because they make money.

When it comes to service, you know HL. I'll wait until tomorrow otherwise I'll vape with other vapes, I don't care.

better than getting angry

Edit:

I would like to appeal to another member of fuckcombustion: "As much as I LOVE the product. I won't let a company take advantage of me. For me and the other consumers. The Colorado Better Business Bureau Complaints is of extreme importance. Complaints are of EXTREME importance to the BBB.

If we sit like lambs they will treat us that way. You may need to go to the website to get the BBB info on the company and contacts and addresses. 3801 E. Florida Avenue
Suite 350
Denver, Colorado 80210
Get Directions"

Edit2: i wrote to HL that they can choose tomorrow sent out or give money back. or the other way ;)

Last edited:
Guest399,

nonbeliever

Do you have an open claim? If so send me the reference and I will have it looked at. When was the last time you talked to them? And I just want to put this out there while we are on the subject (and this is not specifically directed at you but more of my feelings as a whole). First, I understand the frustration. Some of you have been through the ringer and then some, so I understand the lack of confidence and spite. I get the sentiment that everyone waiting all this time should just be sent out a new io. But the bottom line is Hopper is not in a position to do that without going under. Now I get that a lot of you would say good, let it happen. But others don't feel the same way and have hope they will turn around. By turn around I mean clean up the warranty and pump out more reliable units. The latter is already happening with the io and let's face it, it is funding the former. Right or wrong, Hopper's fault or not, this is where we are at. So with that we can either make the best of it and they continue the more recent positive service/io reviews, or we just do what has been happening for the last 5+ years which honestly hasn't gotten anyone anywhere.
As someone who was part of their crowdfunding campaign, and has now made 29 repair claims across 2 units since receiving them, never received back the separate body I purchased that had to be returned for repair 2 years ago, and has too often had to put up with months of promises and claims not delivered on, I’m kind of past any patience with it. It’s not I who offered a lifetime warranty on a unit that oftentimes hasn’t remained working for a week. Blaming us for expecting them to deliver on what we purchased isn’t where the problem lies. The problem is they have developed a product that hasn’t been reliable, offered it with a lifetime warranty, and now are unhappy that people aren’t understanding because they aren’t repairing the units that are being returned for warranty (or even waiting to return units when they say we can) in a remotely reasonable period of time (again) and rarely deliver a good customer service experience to their older customers.

Telling your current customers to “buy an io at a discount (credit) because we don’t know how long before we can afford to fix your broken OG (or whatever the reason is)” isn’t really a good long term business strategy. At least if you want repeat customers, not to be relentlessly trashed as an organization, and want to remain in business.

EDIT: btw.. if they had a fire, did they not have insurance, and if they did, wouldn’t that have covered the lost repairs and inventory?

Last edited:

Coombs

Well my hopper arrived! Did a couple burn offs and now charging up again for the inaugural hit!

Can anyone confirm the light behaviour while charging. All lights are flashing every two seconds right now. Will it double flash and then stop flashing when fully charged? Do the spare batteries typically need a full charge when purchased?

Also, planing to pickup one of these nitecore chargers so I can always have two powering up. Any models I should avoid or have to go with?

edit: ignore the light question. Double flashing now and continuing to do so ;)

Vapor_Eyes

taste buds
I wasn’t asked to return my charger when I traded in my OG for an io. I did anyway because I had never even used the original charger and didn’t need an extra, I have two hoppers and two chargers. In the first four years I was hopping I only used my Nitecore D2. After I got my Hopper io I started using the HL chargers and I do enjoy them. The newer style is convenient and easy to use one handed. I usually keep it next to my couch and it’s nice to leave it hooked up and constantly charging when I’m going to be using it for an extended amount of time and don’t want to bother with swapping batteries.

I actually like the old two wire style too because both sides are the correct polarity and it is stronger magnetically. The stronger magnet is nice for car usage, you can just leave it plugged in on those long car rides and enjoy some CBD flower to pass the time. The io is an amazing device for driving, responsibly of course. I’m not advocating anyone taking massive two hopper klaisen bubbler hits while driving young Timmy to school.

Coombs

Day 3 with the hopper and this thing is fantastic. I realize I’m in the honey moon phase and long term reliability has to be proven, but it seems I can get to another level with this vape. I haven’t said it out loud yet, and this typing doesn’t count, but it looks to be replacing my plenty as favourite and hardest hitting vape that I own! Absolutely loving it.

Any glass users want to share what they are using? I’m debating between the little hydrotube I posted earlier or a traditional but smaller bong/rig (6-8”). Using it native right now with just the cover.

slozukimc

Day 3 with the hopper and this thing is fantastic. I realize I’m in the honey moon phase and long term reliability has to be proven, but it seems I can get to another level with this vape. I haven’t said it out loud yet, and this typing doesn’t count, but it looks to be replacing my plenty as favourite and hardest hitting vape that I own! Absolutely loving it.

Any glass users want to share what they are using? I’m debating between the little hydrotube I posted earlier or a traditional but smaller bong/rig (6-8”). Using it native right now with just the cover.
At home the Magic Flight Orbiter seems perfect with a Hopper. On the go I usually turn the temp down a bit and use it native but if you can find it an old W9tech Nibbler AC bubbler works perfect with a couple O rings on the PFE.

JoeMama

Telling your current customers to “buy an io at a discount (credit) because we don’t know how long before we can afford to fix your broken OG (or whatever the reason is)” isn’t really a good long term business strategy. At least if you want repeat customers, not to be relentlessly trashed as an organization, and want to remain in business.
Just browsing around here after spending the last several weeks with an IO that I upgraded to under the same circumstances as stated here... I was extremely reluctant to throw what I thought was good money after bad by spending MORE at HL instead of getting my OG fixed...
Having said that, it's been about 5-6 weeks, and I've been using the IO every day, several times per day (~>8X per day). It has been performing extremely well. While I won't recommend HL to anyone until I put this thing through the gauntlet over a greater period of time.

In summary, while HL sucks for strong-arming us into an upgraded model while our warranty units just collect dust in THEIR facility, the new IO seems to be a winner.

I love this thing, it's perfect:

Last edited:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
Just browsing around here after spending the last several weeks with an IO that I upgraded to under the same circumstances as stated here... I was extremely reluctant to throw what I thought was good money after bad by spending MORE at HL instead of getting my OG fixed...
Having said that, it's been about 5-6 weeks, and I've been using the IO every day, several times per day (~>8X per day). It has been performing extremely well. While I won't recommend HL to anyone until I put this thing through the gauntlet over a greater period of time.

In summary, while HL sucks for strong-arming us into an upgraded model while our warranty units just collect dust in THEIR facility, the new IO seems to be a winner.
Hi, Joe, nice to see you around these parts.
Having been on a similar trajectory, I feel a need to add some balance to the conversation.
I also traded-up for an io; it was shipped to me on June 30, or about 90 days ago. It did not work, but HL sent a new, in-box replacement right out. So far, so good.
The replacement was working great and my confidence was well on the way to restoration after all these years.
Yesterday the io stopped working. When clicked on, it sometimes shows the light, but that quickly goes off. That's all it will do. Kaput. I've emailed support and we'll see what happens, but I doubt they'll just rush another one out to me; I'll mail it in and be without for how long? Maybe just a couple of weeks.
So, 90 days divided by 2 io's means an average life of 45 days per io?
No, we can't generalize from one customer's experience, but...

In the meantime, I'm ordering a second Vleaf Go (on sale for $53, shipped).
That's a "poor mans' hopper". It works.

slozukimc

Hopper IO brings the DopeGun(TM) to a whole new level.
I am really glad that real guns are much more reliable than a Dope Gun(TM). My newest IO vapes great but the damned button still fucks up now and then. This is number three. The first one quit heating completely and the second would turn on and off whenever it felt like it. Let’s see how long this one lasts. This IO was a gift from a good friend so I have to go through him to warranty it but even with that Hopper Labs has been right on the mark with sending a replacement unit and waiting for us to return the malfunctioning unit upon receipt of the new one.
I still use my Hoppers over every other vape I own almost every time. I used to take my Dynavap but I find the Hopper IO, a couple spare batteries and the Hopper Feeder are just so damned convenient to stick in my pocket and go.

vapviking

Old & In the Way
I used to take my Dynavap but I find the Hopper IO, a couple spare batteries and the Hopper Feeder are just so damned convenient to stick in my pocket and go.
Just be sure the batteries are in some protective cover/case/end caps or something -- not loose in a pocket. (from the guy who had one 'vent' in his dresser drawer)

Sorry you are having reliability issues. See my post above, now looking for io #3 and hoping they just send it, as they did the last time and have been doing for you.

slozukimc

Just be sure the batteries are in some protective cover/case/end caps or something -- not loose in a pocket. (from the guy who had one 'vent' in his dresser drawer)

Sorry you are having reliability issues. See my post above, now looking for io #3 and hoping they just send it, as they did the last time and have been doing for you.
I do. They go in a 3D printed 3 battery holder. Thank for looking out!

Top Bottom