Glass Vapes From The Rogue Wax Works

Pukka

Thoughts? I don't want to count seconds every time, I need a visual indicator to stop heating.
I set up a 5 second timer on my phone at first. Start the timer and heat until it goes off then try a hit. No vapor? Repeat until you're getting the desired results. Thst should give you a good baseline to set a timer for until the ritual becomes rote.

friedrich

Little-Known Member
Much of the time the flame never goes orange at all […] I don't want to count seconds every time, I need a visual indicator to stop heating.
Unfortunately I don't think there is a reliable visual cue to be seen. My technique is to count each partial turn of the device in my hand. I measured those once at about 1.8 to 2 per second, so the timings I've reported here are estimates based on that. What I actually do is count to like 40 for a first heat and 24 for reheats (obviously varying by device, torch, etc). Sometimes the flame glancing off turns orange, sometimes not; but I still haven't ignited a bowl in any of these devices since my first day with the Terpcicle. (Although I have almost forgotten a few times when to stop counting, and got a little closer than intended.)

Last edited:

zeebudz

I set up a 5 second timer on my phone at first. Start the timer and heat until it goes off then try a hit. No vapor? Repeat until you're getting the desired results. Thst should give you a good baseline to set a timer for until the ritual becomes rote.
A reader might think that this means they should use the torch until they get a good, solid vapor hit. Absolutely not the case with these glass TEDs since they are heat builders. If you flame it until you get a bit vapor hit, you will surely combust. You should be getting SOME vapor initially but not a lot. This is frequently mentioned in YouTube videos including this one from Dave starting at 10 minutes:

"Less is more, you can always add more heat."

SlickHenry

Orange flame visual cue is not always reliable especially if in daylight when it is hard to see the change. You can look at the herbs and when they are just starting to lose their color that is a better indicator.

But there is still a risk of overdoing it. Best is just to count and err on the side of caution. After a few heat ups you will get a feel for how long with your torch.

I still occasionally get it wrong especially when switching from a borosilicate heater to quartz.

maremaresing

Thanks for the tips! I suppose I just need to accept counting as a nature of these things. It's easy enough to set a timer, especially when starting out with it. I'll give that a bit of a try and see what works with the lighters I have.

One thing I do like is I can see if the material turns really dark anywhere from a light hit. That at least lets me know to pause everything I'm doing. It's just disappointing because I had one session this week that made me think "wow so this is what they all were raving about" but then I can't replicate it when I really needed to be medicated.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
Timing it has always been the most consistent method for me also, with flame color being more of a backup to watch for. I used to just start a stopwatch and wait for an easy number to start on. With the preheat method though, the final heating is short enough that counting in my head works well.

Mostly unrelated, here's some vaped bud from the QC Mini. Left is one bowl, one heatup with the QC (2mm cap), and right is one bowl in the Vapman, finished off with a Dynavap.
W8zLt0a.jpeg

Last edited:

coolbreeze

Timing it has always been the most consistent method for me also, with flame color being more of a backup to watch for. I used to just start a stopwatch and wait for an easy number to start on. With the preheat method though, the final heating is short enough that counting in my head works well.

Mostly unrelated, here's some vaped bud from the QC Mini. Left is one bowl, one heatup with the QC, and right is one bowl in the Vapman, finished off with a Dynavap.
W8zLt0a.jpeg
Which reminds me, I should make a list of timings...

hotmeals

Serial vapist
Settling in at 13-17 second head count after preheat with the QC Mini 2mm. Obscenely large hits that retain great flavor at the higher end, and stellar flavor with still nice clouds at the lower end. Really enjoying the convection heavy signature. This will easily become my most used TRWW piece due to the bowl size.

RogueGuy

Accessory Maker
@maremaresing I hope you are getting it figured out. As others mentioned, counting is the easiest. If you go slowly you should not combust. Just keep adding a little heat and test. The bowl preheat is really helpful and definitely watch the video

@hotmeals glad you are enjoying the QC Mini

I played around with vaping concentrates last night. A banger is easier but thought this was fun. Some vape cotton and Quartz beads at 525

dimmusp

@maremaresing I hope you are getting it figured out. As others mentioned, counting is the easiest. If you go slowly you should not combust. Just keep adding a little heat and test. The bowl preheat is really helpful and definitely watch the video

I played around with vaping concentrates last night. A banger is easier but thought this was fun. Some vape cotton and Quartz beads at 525

Nice guide, thanks!

How is the Coil Cap coming along?

olysh pops

@dimmusp "Coil Cap" heating coils for quartz heaters are on sale on the TRWW website
:tup:

Cacahuates

I recieved the 14mm quartz cap and Holy Smokes! This thing is great!
Using mostly through water with an Amazon creme brulee torch.
So fun to use. Very easy. Great results. What nice clear headed effects. Don't think I've had this from any other device.
I definitely see some more of these devices in my future. Trying not to order them all as we speak.
Thanks to all the straight forward instructions here 🙏.

dimmusp

@dimmusp "Coil Cap" heating coils for quartz heaters are on sale on the TRWW website
:tup:
Thanks, AFAIK that's mostly for early adopters who already have a TRWW cap:
The Coil Cap is almost here!!! I'm waiting on custom clips and a modified heater for the full kit.

@RogueGuy Have you considered a "wireless" variant of the Coil Cap, similar to what @Radwin Bodnic did with the GVB "18mm Killer", but in stock and part part of a full kit? 😍🙏🙏🙏

It would be awesome!

Thanks

hotmeals

Serial vapist
I'm back to the timer with the QC Mini. My head seconds are just not consistent enough for those precision one hitters :spliff:. Hitting it through water for fun lately, but it's plenty smooth enough for a dry piece. It's putting out vapor comparable to any of my biggest cloud producers. Crazy stuff!

TedJones

Hitting it through water for fun lately, but it's plenty smooth enough for a dry piece.
For sure! Had a good dry run earlier with THIS TRWW setup :tup: Easier for me though to get a full extraction using water and some restriction since it’s pretty open. My thinner heater ramps up fast, and also cools fast. Sometimes needs another twirl with the flame to keep it going, other times when I’m hoping it doesn’t kaboom 🤯

Decided to plug the coil cap in a different PID (DC micro) for grins and have been bumping down a few times now. 45 degrees lower on the readout and still getting a bit of a darker roast than before. Wild :suspicious:

Cacahuates

I'm back to the timer with the QC Mini. My head seconds are just not consistent enough for those precision one hitters :spliff:. Hitting it through water for fun lately, but it's plenty smooth enough for a dry piece. It's putting out vapor comparable to any of my biggest cloud producers. Crazy stuff!
Do you have the 14mm quartz cap? I was wondering how it compare to the mini and which one you prefer.

I think I'm going to get the terpcile next, but I'm enjoying the 14QC just fine.

hotmeals

Serial vapist
Hah, love it! Those kinds of solutions are always fun.

I just tried my first bowl with the QC14. It was very nice. Probably could have gone a little hotter a little sooner, but I got some good hits and clouded it up a bit. Very similar performance to the Mini. Too early to tell definitively, but I think I will prefer the more restricted airflow of the Terpedo/Terpcicle for the bigger bowls. I'm also partial to the silicone/gong fit of them at this bowl size. I love the just resting cap on the Mini. I'll be using the Mini much more often, simply because I'm usually more of a multiple small bowls type of person.

RedZep

So these quartz vapes with the coil. I suppose the idea is they differ to typical ball vapes in that they provide a more session orientated experience?

They seem different. I'm just not sure about all the ways it is different. But very interesting. I suppose they give more conduction also?

Radwin Bodnic

So these quartz vapes with the coil. I suppose the idea is they differ to typical ball vapes in that they provide a more session orientated experience?

They seem different. I'm just not sure about all the ways it is different. But very interesting. I suppose they give more conduction also?
These vapes have a kind of double flow function. The cold air coming in between the outer tube and the inner stem exchange heat with the hot aerosol (vapor) flow inside the inner stem.
Results are that the fresh air is preheated before reaching the hot zone and the aerosol is precooled before exiting the stem.

The longer and narrower the double flow path, the more effective the heat exchange. A thinner inner stem also helps exchanging more calories.

With these vapes you heat all around the bowl. It relies mostly on radiant heat with a tad of conduction during heating and then a nice convection blast when you draw.

Although they store less heat than a ball heater matrix, they still pack a nice amount of calories, allowing for multiple draws in only one heating cycle. The thicker the outer tube, the more heat is stored. (But also acts like a buffer for the heat to reach the bowl, beware of over-heating). Edit : when used with a torch.

If you want to experience this kind of design I strongly suggest adding the Vaponic to your collection. It really is the perfect introduction to these double flow vapes, being their precursor. It is cheap (40€), has a micro bowl that works better with small nuggets, deliver superb taste (better than the TA imo), is fun and easy to use and is very efficient with the material.
It offer an euphoric, uplifting and productive high, without being too racy and still gently body effective.

Last edited:

maremaresing

You are always so sweet and kind in your videos and replies! I appreciate it. Great news, everyone was right and counting is the way to go. Your video really helped me visualize how to go about it in stages, and also that 20-25 seconds heating isn't anything much. I think it was the uncertainty and risk that made everything seem so long.

In the time since this post I've used it a few times and had great results with no combusting (though I came close once when I got too greedy on reheat). It's so much fun to blow huge clouds with a jhook and the terpcicle!

Top Bottom