Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

rshetts

I liked my Ghost when it worked. But, after dealing with the Haze Square, and then Ghost, I decided the next vape will be one that has proven it's longevity.

The one difference I notice right away is the wait time heating. Haze and Ghost were incredibly fast heat ups. And true convection. When they worked, it was great, but there was no consistency in performance.

I also am not crazy about the Crafty plus battery. If this is an improvement, then I'm glad I didn't have an original one. But, very very consistent performance, every single time.

In the end, I just want something that works, when I want it, consistently. Is that too much to ask?
So far, my Crafty+ works well.

Regarding the battery, that has been my experience as well. Love the hit efficiency, hate the battery and slow charging. If this battery issue is an upgrade from the Crafty, I am glad I never got the original. If this thing had changeable batteries so you could keep a set charged at all times it would be perfect. Instead it's a good vape that has a major flaw. I like S&B but I really hate the planned obsolescence built into their portables. It's kind of mercenary, considering it wouldn't be difficult to make the exact same vape with the ability to swap out batteries. They are seriously inconveniencing the user by doing this. Myself, I went to this from a Haze V3, which I really liked. Sadly, Haze went under. I do believe that the Crafty Plus is a bit more efficient of a hitter, although the Haze did quite well but the big plus on the Haze was the swappable batteries. S&B dropped the ball on that aspect, for no reason other than greed and while it's not a deal breaker, it is very disappointing.

blackstone

Regarding the battery, that has been my experience as well. Love the hit efficiency, hate the battery and slow charging. If this battery issue is an upgrade from the Crafty, I am glad I never got the original. If this thing had changeable batteries so you could keep a set charged at all times it would be perfect. Instead it's a good vape that has a major flaw. I like S&B but I really hate the planned obsolescence built into their portables. It's kind of mercenary, considering it wouldn't be difficult to make the exact same vape with the ability to swap out batteries. They are seriously inconveniencing the user by doing this. Myself, I went to this from a Haze V3, which I really liked. Sadly, Haze went under. I do believe that the Crafty Plus is a bit more efficient of a hitter, although the Haze did quite well but the big plus on the Haze was the swappable batteries. S&B dropped the ball on that aspect, for no reason other than greed and while it's not a deal breaker, it is very disappointing.

I really hate the planned obsolescence built into their portables.

They are seriously inconveniencing the user by doing this.

for no reason other than greed....... ...it is very disappointing.

The last Crafty was fine if you had other vapes and used it for outdoors or visiting friends. It was the only compact vape I tried that satisfied me (especially outdoors) after having a Mighty.
I feel a little bit sorry for those who bought a full price OG Crafty to use as their primary vape, especially if you got an early unreliable one, I was advised on here to get the Mighty first. If you knew what you're getting into there was little to complain about although more sessions per charge are always desirable!
Maybe I was lucky to get the advice here first.

The Crafty and Mighty batteries can be changed by user or third party, it is difficult to do correctly and not recommended by the company.
We are able to change them though.
To me, it would be more important if the plastic casing does not crack in this new model.
We could get full use from the insides, change out batteries or have them replaced for us, or sell them secondhand without guilt.
If your batteries start to become sluggish within warranty, which is up to 3 yrs now, the company used to replace them for a fee. If you think the fee is too much for your situation there are other ways.

In the video tour of S&B factory, one of the founders is asked why they won't go to easily replaceable cells by the user.
He said it was for security reasons.
Some interpreted this as danger to the user or damage to the vape internals, but it could be shipping restrictions too.
If I order any batteries they are confiscated by the mail in my country mainly because of leakage they say, and many carriers and countries don't accept lithium cells, particularly via air.
That's what I took from it anyway. Maybe smaller fish or non EU companies can still offer seperate batteries in their respective markets.

While browsing some regulations I found this image which shows an accidental result of lithium-ion cell transport by air!
636257926927318239-UPS-LITHIUM.jpg

Possibly an incident that caused these restrictions?

rshetts

I am aware of the 3rd party battery replacement, which is good for the continued use of the Crafty Plus but I would love to be able to swap batteries when the ones in there are out of juice so I don't have to wait 2-3 hours for a recharge. I simply do not understand why they could not do that. And while it may seem like I was ripping the Crafty plus a new one, the truth is I really like the vape. It delivers a great hit. I was simply outlining the one major deficiency it has. So I do recommend the Crafty Plus but people should be aware of its issues. If it had swappable batteries it would be perfect.

blackstone

I am aware of the 3rd party battery replacement, which is good for the continued use of the Crafty Plus but I would love to be able to swap batteries when the ones in there are out of juice so I don't have to wait 2-3 hours for a recharge. I simply do not understand why they could not do that. And while it may seem like I was ripping the Crafty plus a new one, the truth is I really like the vape. It delivers a great hit. I was simply outlining the one major deficiency it has. So I do recommend the Crafty Plus but people should be aware of its issues. If it had swappable batteries it would be perfect.

I understand and I could easily see you really like the vapor from it as I do!
Even I said before that as my main vape, I might prefer to have a dual cell version of this (Mighty+?) or have a spare cell to use this vape full time with less charging, just because it is so efficient and enjoyable for me with herb.
Although I do like having everything in one, not more batteries around the place to be careful of and having to buy and run an external charger. And research "what 18650/battery seller iz gud"!
After successfully using various herb vapes to allow me quit tobacco and combustion for over 5 years, I hope S&B is not the first company to introduce me to loose cells and I doubt they will be.

If the Mighty+ comes I'll buy that and decide if I continue to keep a Crafty+ for out and about and while the Mighty+ is charging!
But that above is how I understood their battery choices and I was surprised and curious after hearing the company owner mention security issues as a reason.

I kinda doubt they are solely doing it for max. profit, but if they were, at least we can take comfort that they might remain in the market for longer!?

If a Mighty+ does not come, I might want to fit an AC powered dummy 18650 kind of like what maxvapor710 has provided for the Grasshopper vape.
Make an everlasting Crafty+ desktop out of the little beast!
Meanwhile I'm about 1g a day and I need to charge every night, an occasional topup while making/eating dinner. Sometimes it catches up with me it is a little annoying! But only because it's my favorite vapor and efficiency atm.

blackstone

I made a mistake above but I found the video where they ask Mr. Bickel why they didn't go for replaceable batteries it's at the 11:20 mark in this.

Sounds like by security, he might also mean certification, traceability and maybe safety, he says replaceable also made things bigger and more difficult, and there was less demand for it in Mighty with two batteries.
Maybe they want it just like a toothbrush, hair shaver or ipod nano setup!

Hope everyone is enjoying Crafty+ this weekend!:spliff:

Vape_Or_Die420

Has anyone noticed their Crafty+ randomly reset temperature setting to the first (lowest) setting in the middle of a sesh while on the 2nd or 3rd setting? Probably happened to me 10 times by now. Ill be vaping along on higher temps and then all of a sudden, one single vibration and i look and its solid blue instead of blinking.

At first i thought it might be overheating but the manual says it will blink red/blue if it is too cold or hot.

I also thought it could be how the auto shutoff works, because i set it to 3 min, it rarely shuts off that i notice. Ran a quick test and the auto shutoff works fine.

Vape_Or_Die420,

JCat

Accessory Maker
I made a mistake above but I found the video where they ask Mr. Bickel why they didn't go for replaceable batteries it's at the 11:20 mark in this.

Sounds like by security, he might also mean certification, traceability and maybe safety, he says replaceable also made things bigger and more difficult, and there was less demand for it in Mighty with two batteries.
Maybe they want it just like a toothbrush, hair shaver or ipod nano setup!

Hope everyone is enjoying Crafty+ this weekend!:spliff:
I've never had any issue that it is an internal battery ... there are reasons for this, and it definitely removes a massive variable from the equation; my real issue with this has always been their unwillingness to replace a battery for a reasonable service fee for an out-of-warranty Crafty. Just my 2 cents.

rshetts

Well, I am none too happy with the Crafty plus. I had suspected that something was wrong as it seemed like I got way too few sessions out of a charge so I started using the app to track the charge after each session. I used it this morning and when i put it away, the app showed it at 60%. This afternoon, when I went to use it, it wouldn't start and the app showed that it needed a recharge. Clearly something is draining the batteries or the batteries are not holding a charge. It sucks when you buy something based on a company's rep for quality and you get bad unit for your efforts.

HomerSchwag

Well, I am none too happy with the Crafty plus. I had suspected that something was wrong as it seemed like I got way too few sessions out of a charge so I started using the app to track the charge after each session. I used it this morning and when i put it away, the app showed it at 60%. This afternoon, when I went to use it, it wouldn't start and the app showed that it needed a recharge. Clearly something is draining the batteries or the batteries are not holding a charge. It sucks when you buy something based on a company's rep for quality and you get bad unit for your efforts.
Check the settings in your app and make sure is isn’t checked to “Bluetooth always on”

rshetts

Check the settings in your app and make sure is isn’t checked to “Bluetooth always on”
Arrrrgh! Thanks! That was the problem. I put it away last nite at 80% charge and this morning it still had the same charge. Why would they set the thing to auto battery drain is beyond me but once I shut that off, my Crafty Plus held its charge. They need a disclaimer in their manual for that.

JCat

Accessory Maker
Arrrrgh! Thanks! That was the problem. I put it away last nite at 80% charge and this morning it still had the same charge. Why would they set the thing to auto battery drain is beyond me but once I shut that off, my Crafty Plus held its charge. They need a disclaimer in their manual for that.
That seems to me like a bug in the firmware though. BLE should be able to be active for week(s) before the battery is drained ... (ie. Bluetooth "LOW ENERGY") ...

Oh well ... good work-around solution anyways :)

blackstone

I noticed in his latest review that Vaporizer Wizard has found this Crafty+ to be a highly preferred, or favorite device of his at the minute. Out of over 150 vaporizers tested!!
https://www.vaporizerwizard.com/reviews/vaporizers/portable/crafty-plus/

And also that Tvape say that Crafty+ is indeed a step above the consistent, flavorful and powerful hits of a Mighty.
"Not much, but noticeable", they say.
I thought they had said that this is also their new favorite vaporizer until/if a Mighty+ comes, but there is the possibility that they toned down the review and turned up their Utilian recommendations!
https://tvape.com/blog/crafty-plus-vaporizer-review/

I can't believe how much I love mine either, so I agree! It's good that they can sometimes be got for less than 200 too, that performance to price ratio was unheard of even 2 or 3 years ago.

What materials are in the air path of the Crafty+?
It's aluminium, like Volcano or SV3, in the spiral inner path with a little PEEK at the entry port, and SS screen inside.
The air might also touch the SS heater element in Crafty+ now, not sure
The vapor path CU is PEEK I believe.

wastedpotential

As I go back and forth between my Crafty and my Ghost, I am reminded of what attracted me to Ghost (and before that, Haze Square)... Fast heat up time, and fast charging.

The Haze Square was USB C, quick charging. And the heat up time was fast. I'm not going to look it up, but I remember it being less than a minute.
The Ghost MV1, didn't have USB C, but did have an external extra fast charger option, and the heat up time is fast.

I really like the Crafty, but the difference in heat up time is big. Very big. If it didn't vibrate when it was ready, I'd probably forget I was heating up. Like when you are put on hold with the phone, and when they finally answer you forget what you called about. But, I can deal with that if technology is dictating a slower heat up time for longevity of heating element.

But, the Crafty could really use a USB C quick charging. That would make up for the small capacity of the charge if we can get back to full charge in a few minutes. Or at least a 'useable' charge for another session.

I hope that if there is a Mighty+, they decide to give it quick charging.

wastedpotential,
Reactions: blackstone

blackstone

I can deal with that if technology is dictating a slower heat up time for longevity of heating element.

Longevity of the element is a good bonus, hate the thought of a vape being dead from a blown coil.
But what I appreciate a lot is that if/when the element wire deteriorates at all, it won't do so into the vapor stream and potentially be inhaled.
I would give up fast heat time for that alone.
If they do a Mighty+ it could be 45 seconds or less heat time.
I normally turn my device on first, and it often heats up before I can get a capsule filled for it.
When you spend long enough with these vapes, you look at them just as they are about to heat fully/vibrate!

Just an update. Since I learned about the "always on" bluetooth setting and shut it off, my Crafty+ has done just fine with holding a charge. Weird that they would default set an energy vampire into their vape.

I'm not sure that the permanent Bluetooth is on by default, but maybe it is. I did have the same issue as you early on but I thought mine got switched on accidentally while trying to pair with old devices.
I never use the feature but it could be useful if the vape was in a bag and you want to switch it on via device just before you nip off to the bathroom or something!

My Crafty+ Unboxing, hope you like it! :D

Ask me if you have questions about this fantastic vaporizer!

Does anybody remember the upset when they dropped things like the grinder and brush?
When I saw @atragantrao 's video here, it now shows a brush included! And the website was updated to say this too.
They have an offer of a free sidekit now too, so buy from them you get two brushes the grinder the filling aid and a caddy!
It will be interesting what they choose to include with future releases.

adamster

What sort of cleaning do you do on a new unit. I finally gave up on the firefly 2+ and bought the crafty +.

adamster,

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
Vape Master,

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What sort of cleaning do you do on a new unit. I finally gave up on the firefly 2+ and bought the crafty +.
S&B is very good at delivering a pretty clean product. Even so, I suggest (after charging to full) at minimum a burn-off. With cooling unit removed, run it up to highest temp for a couple of minutes, be careful it will be hot around the chamber. If no major smells or smoke then you're probably good to go. Let it cool a little and go for it. (or just pop in a capsule and away you go).
These can have a mild "new vape'" taste for one or two bowls, after that, no.
Enjoy

vapviking,
Reactions: Jill NYC

BigC’sTowing

I also use the dosing capsules and I still brush out the cooling unit and bowl after every use. I’d replace the coarse screen on the cooling unit with the fine screen included, that also prevents smaller particles from gumming up the works.

And, roughly every week I’ll run an Q-tip with alcohol on all surfaces. This means a deep clean is very rarely needed.

it also depends on how often and at what temps you run yours at but that’s a decent framework to start with.

BigC’sTowing,

Vape Master

Formerly C3PO
I would recommend dosing capsules. I have zero residues. Without the capsule, I needed to clean every two uses. Beyond that, it would affect performance.

For deep cleaning. With Dosing capsule every 10 sessions. Without dosing capsule, I estimate every 2 sessions.

I take apart the cooing unit and put parts into the bowl with ISO alcohol (91%)
I take the gaskets and put them into a bowl of warm sudsy water.

I use a Q Tip with warm water and a tiny drop of soap to clean the outer core of the vape, and dry with a cotton ball.

The oven I scrape very lightly and use a drop of ISO alcohol on the tip of a q tip.

I give it a half-hour to soak the parts. re-assemble.

For me, it is a complete restoration like brand new out of the box.

Vape Master,
Top Bottom