Crafty/Crafty+ by Storz & Bickel

blackstone

This is a continuation of the Crafty & Crafty+ threads on FC

20200123-155113.jpg

The Crafty+ is the replacement for the Crafty and it was released November 2019.
Despite some initial complaints that it looked a bit too similar to previous models, it made a big impression with those who own them. And even became a solid favorite for some, including a number of top reviewers, partly by being a little quicker to heat than a Mighty but also because the top of the stainless steel heater cartridge is now exposed at the bottom of the bowl, resulting in stronger vapor than before especially at the start of a session or with small loads, capsules, or a drip pad inside.
The small size, and improved grip and feel probably help to make it a winner among users.

And as far as most people can tell, it has the best airflow ever from an S&B portable!
If you ask me, it has the best effects or efficiency for what you put in too, out of any vaporizer I've tried so far.
The typical very even extraction with no stirring, as with all S&B portables, is present in this model also which allows it to demolish any load impressively with no fuss, even powdery loads heavy with kief that many other devices struggle with.

Soon after release, in a Black Friday sale it was offered at 20% off on the manufacturers website and can sometimes be found at 30% or more off RRP on other sites.
I also noticed that they do include a brush now, some people were bummed as this was not the case at release and they had also dropped an acrylic grinder and filling aid from the older Crafty package, but still offered the items separately.

The warranty can now be increased by one year for a total of three years warranty.
And a new 2.4 Amp USB charger was offered in place of the 2 Amp one they sold for the old Crafty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bad Dog

Yeah I pissed on the rug...... so what
I have a OG crafty, it was my first vape. It's become one of my least used vapes currently but I don't think it's a piece of junk it just doesn't suit my style of vaping for a few reasons 1 it's bowl size is for most purposes too big even when I was vaping more, this can be mitigated by half vaping the bowl and shutting it off or packing a smaller bowl with the liquid pad which I did. 2 the battery, it very quickly went from 5 bowls to 3 on a charge and it doesn't have pass though charging. Was charging it like twice a day and it took forever. 3 I had trouble not outpacing the heater on the size of hits I wanted from it. I got very good at taking a very slow draw, so slow I could get the green led to dim but not kick over to turn red. When it was productive I found the vapour to be about as strong as I wanted a dry herb vape to be that's not filtered through water. 4 the cleaning, other then the screens there is no part you can extensively soak in ISO without degradation of the material. Now that I use it somewhat infrequently cleaning is even worse as the reclame has time to dry out and become more stubborn, so by the time it needs to be cleaned it's a disaster or I'm forced to disassemble a clean under hot water every time I use it..... boo.

Like I said I don't use it frequently but it's still my #1 choice for cbd because of its larger bowl size and conduction element. I typically only use cbd when my back is out and if I'm lucky that is only a few days out of the month. And the occasional evening of thc once or twice a month. My crafty should still have a lot of miles left on it only has 35 hours but when it does die I don't think I'll replace it with the crafty + it was just to much of a incremental upgrade and didn't change enough of the previous issues I had with the OG to really peak my interest, I've since moved onto desktops. I did find the crafty to always reliably get me lifted and always produced consistent clouds.

Bad Dog

My apologies if I was to off topic to the thread, please delete it if you deem it fit to do so.

Bad Dog,

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Good idea, I've combined them here.

:peace:

I also think the name should match the mighty thread, so this one should say by "Storz & Bickel" instead of "Storz and Bickel"

Just my OCD :twocents:

Shit Snacks,

blackstone

I have a OG crafty, it was my first vape. It's become one of my least used vapes currently but I don't think it's a piece of junk it just doesn't suit my style of vaping for a few reasons 1 it's bowl size is for most purposes too big even when I was vaping more, this can be mitigated by half vaping the bowl and shutting it off or packing a smaller bowl with the liquid pad which I did. 2 the battery, it very quickly went from 5 bowls to 3 on a charge and it doesn't have pass though charging. Was charging it like twice a day and it took forever. 3 I had trouble not outpacing the heater on the size of hits I wanted from it. I got very good at taking a very slow draw, so slow I could get the green led to dim but not kick over to turn red. When it was productive I found the vapour to be about as strong as I wanted a dry herb vape to be that's not filtered through water. 4 the cleaning, other then the screens there is no part you can extensively soak in ISO without degradation of the material. Now that I use it somewhat infrequently cleaning is even worse as the reclame has time to dry out and become more stubborn, so by the time it needs to be cleaned it's a disaster or I'm forced to disassemble a clean under hot water every time I use it..... boo.

Like I said I don't use it frequently but it's still my #1 choice for cbd because of its larger bowl size and conduction element. I typically only use cbd when my back is out and if I'm lucky that is only a few days out of the month. And the occasional evening of thc once or twice a month. My crafty should still have a lot of miles left on it only has 35 hours but when it does die I don't think I'll replace it with the crafty + it was just to much of a incremental upgrade and didn't change enough of the previous issues I had with the OG to really peak my interest, I've since moved onto desktops. I did find the crafty to always reliably get me lifted and always produced consistent clouds.

Not a bad first vape experience!
My first two vapes were like recurring nightmares and were in the bin in a year!
I no longer still own my 2nd or 3rd vapes either. The Mighty/Crafty were the first vapes I got that gave me fully satisfying taste and effects outdoors and in cold or wind, i was already annoyed with other ones I bought for not giving me this.
In the OG Crafty days they used to recommend getting the Mighty if it was your only vape, or you wanted the best battery or vapor power. That's no longer so important imo but maybe it would have met your battery needs better at the time.

Funny, I read a speculation article for Mighty+ recently and they complained about many people finding the current bowl too small! They thought they could go as far as a 1g bowl or 70% bigger for the next one! So it appears it's hard to please everybody with bowl size.
I find capsules with small pads are an excellent, easy way to tune bowl size in this vape (you should have seen me with my other vapes!)

You can at times see the light turn red on inhale with Crafty+ on the first draw, but the vapor power now keeps up very well.
And I found a groove with cleaning this or most vapes so I don’t identify with cleaning difficulty much, maybe I need to do a video showing my ways sometime!

My OCD doesn't want your OCD flaring up so I changed it for both of us.

:peace:

Just remembered that there was an issue on the old site with the "+" sign that it doesn't show in the URL, it won't really matter now that the two threads have merged here. But it looks like the "&" sign is similar for URLs.
No big deal though!

blackstone,
Reactions: Jill NYC

Vape_Or_Die420

Has anyone noticed their Crafty+ randomly reset temperature setting to the first (lowest) setting in the middle of a sesh while on the 2nd or 3rd setting? Ill be vaping along and then all of a sudden, one single vibration and i look and its solid green instead of blinking.

At first i thought it might be overheating but the manual says it will blink red/blue if it is too cold or hot.

I also thought it could be how the auto shutoff works, because i set it to 3 min, it rarely shuts off that i notice. Ran a quick test and the auto shutoff works fine.

Bad Dog

Had the same problem with my OG crafty but as I remember it really only happened when the battery was low

Bad Dog

Sounds logical to me that the battery simply plateaus and the required amps or volts or watts isn't there so it resets to what it can sustain before going completely dead. It's not a complaint I've heard a lot so I figured I was in a small minority or people came to the same conclusion as me. Do you only have the problem when the battery is low? If so I wouldn't be concerned about a defective unit

blackstone

Has anyone noticed their Crafty+ randomly reset temperature setting to the first (lowest) setting in the middle of a sesh while on the 2nd or 3rd setting? Ill be vaping along and then all of a sudden, one single vibration and i look and its solid green instead of blinking.

At first i thought it might be overheating but the manual says it will blink red/blue if it is too cold or hot.

I also thought it could be how the auto shutoff works, because i set it to 3 min, it rarely shuts off that i notice. Ran a quick test and the auto shutoff works fine.
Hi @Vape_Or_Die420 , when I read this, it just sounds like the vaporizer is coming down from boost mode after an amount of time.
It will go to regular temperature first, then begin the haptic shutdown sequence.
I thought the boost used to be just for a minute, but I couldn't confirm this by searching.
The reason you experience it sometimes and not others, may be because the vape senses you drawing on it sometimes, and resets the timer, while other times it does not sense your draw.

If it sounds like I'm wrong I would contact them if you want it looked at, they are normally more than happy to inspect if you think it's a fault.
Hope that helps you!

Last edited:

blackstone

Does the boost mode time out (without shutting off?)
I have never had that happen on my Crafty OG.
I have seen the vape stay on boost mode quite a while and never seem to shut down,
But that sequence mentioned sounds extremely familiar, where it just goes back to non flashing green (standard temp.), and shortly after I get the haptic shutdown.
I'm not 100% certain and I can't test at the moment

Edit, OK just tried it and yes, that's exactly what happens @Vape_Or_Die420 .
I'm on triple boost for a minute or two, or maybe what I set in the app, then one buzz it goes to solid green,
20 seconds later haptic shutdown. So totally normal by the sounds of it.
Click the power button to manually reset timer and stay on your current temp.

Last edited:

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Was thinking about getting a crafty+ or boundless tera v3 I will be using primarily wpa. I posted in the tera thread also I just wanted to get views from both sides on how well they work with water pipe

iDRINKBLEACH,

Vape_Or_Die420

I have seen the vape stay on boost mode quite a while and never seem to shut down,
But that sequence mentioned sounds extremely familiar, where it just goes back to non flashing green (standard temp.), and shortly after I get the haptic shutdown.
I'm not 100% certain and I can't test at the moment

Edit, OK just tried it and yes, that's exactly what happens @Vape_Or_Die420 .
I'm on triple boost for a minute or two, or maybe what I set in the app, then one buzz it goes to solid green,
20 seconds later haptic shutdown. So totally normal by the sounds of it.
Click the power button to manually reset timer and stay on your current temp.
Thanks for confirming that.

I would prefer to use the temp i desire until it shutsdown. Seems to be counterproductive since i have likely vaped up all the goodies on the lower temp before i move it to boost mode. Usually i dont even notice the single vibration, i just all of a sudden realize im not getting vapor anymore. Then i have to go back to boost mode, draining battery life trying to get back to the high temp.

Im not sure i appreciate this setting.

blackstone

Was thinking about getting a crafty+ or boundless tera v3 I will be using primarily wpa. I posted in the tera thread also I just wanted to get views from both sides on how well they work with water pipe

Crafty+ is great on a bong, and I didn't even use an adapter. A few feel it's better at bong than a Mighty because the airflow is wide open and the heater is strong.
It would be very nice on a bong size wise too as it has one battery cell and is tiny without cooling unit, where the Tera carries two cells.
420vapezone said he really liked Tera on a bong but that was a year and a half ago, and he seems to have an endless supply so can fill those bowls right up for fun.
I just wonder if the likes of newer convection units could be much better now, like Tetra P80 or Hopper io, if convection only is what you want.
I'm a firm believer in the added power of Hybrid heating or the ratio of it that this company are using now (just ask anyone who went from an old Volcano to the Hybrid Volcano!), so I recommend the Crafty+.
If price is an object and your herb supply is not, I'm sure you could have fun with a Tera.
And I do like that Boundless encased their heater elements in ceramic on that model.
Up to you hope you enjoy the one you choose!
Maybe tell yourself you will buy both, then just choose which to get first. I think that makes it easier!

Thanks for confirming that.

I would prefer to use the temp i desire until it shutsdown. Seems to be counterproductive since i have likely vaped up all the goodies on the lower temp before i move it to boost mode. Usually i dont even notice the single vibration, i just all of a sudden realize im not getting vapor anymore. Then i have to go back to boost mode, draining battery life trying to get back to the high temp.

Im not sure i appreciate this setting.

Maybe it works good for me as I use half caps and I'm familiar with the procedure, I guess it's a battery saving thing and I'm not exactly sure what the timer adjusts or if that would help.
Now that you know the drill you might find you'll notice it happening now, or your brain clock will tell you roughly when it's due and you can give a click on the button to extend!
There is definitely a type of draw sensing built in to reset the timer but it's based on temperature drops so it might not see every draw.

iDRINKBLEACH

knowing is half the power - Gi-JOE
Accessory Maker
Crafty+ is great on a bong, and I didn't even use an adapter. A few feel it's better at bong than a Mighty because the airflow is wide open and the heater is strong.
It would be very nice on a bong size wise too as it has one battery cell and is tiny without cooling unit, where the Tera carries two cells.
420vapezone said he really liked Tera on a bong but that was a year and a half ago, and he seems to have an endless supply so can fill those bowls right up for fun.
I just wonder if the likes of newer convection units could be much better now, like Tetra P80 or Hopper io, if convection only is what you want.
I'm a firm believer in the added power of Hybrid heating or the ratio of it that this company are using now (just ask anyone who went from an old Volcano to the Hybrid Volcano!), so I recommend the Crafty+.
If price is an object and your herb supply is not, I'm sure you could have fun with a Tera.
And I do like that Boundless encased their heater elements in ceramic on that model.
Up to you hope you enjoy the one you choose!
Maybe tell yourself you will buy both, then just choose which to get first. I think that makes it easier!

Maybe it works good for me as I use half caps and I'm familiar with the procedure, I guess it's a battery saving thing and I'm not exactly sure what the timer adjusts or if that would help.
Now that you know the drill you might find you'll notice it happening now, or your brain clock will tell you roughly when it's due and you can give a click on the button to extend!
There is definitely a type of draw sensing built in to reset the timer but it's based on temperature drops so it might not see every draw.
I ordered the tetra, the money wasn't an issue. It was a hard choice just seemed to hit harder on demand. Yeah we only want convection only. The wife n I are pretty bad at camping on the vape

iDRINKBLEACH,
Top Bottom