nitro

Can you say more about how you find it complements the Herborizer?
Mainly because the bowl from the Herborizer is a lot bigger and the CouchLog seems to be more effective with small loads. Furthermore, while I don‘t mind the handling of the Herborizer and I have developed a robust routine, the CouchLog is a more fun experience in usage.

I believe the extraction quality is about on par, but then, my experience is still quite limited. Both are absolut top performers, nevertheless.

Texus

Mainly because the bowl from the Herborizer is a lot bigger and the CouchLog seems to be more effective with small loads. Furthermore, while I don‘t mind the handling of the Herborizer and I have developed a robust routine, the CouchLog is a more fun experience in usage.

I believe the extraction quality is about on par, but then, my experience is still quite limited. Both are absolut top performers, nevertheless.
HI praise if comparing to Herbo for sure. How does CouchLog stack up on flavor? Herbo is my best vape for flavor in my collection...

JollyGreenGiant

The glasbowl normally comes with screens. Im sorry they were missing. Shouldn't happen again. Get some 15mm screens on Amazon or something else, we will pay for it. Just write me an pm.

@JollyGreenGiant
Thanks for your feedback, were working on most of the points you mentioned.
The cooling pads should sit in wider part of the mouthpiece. As shown in the manual or the video on YouTube.

Thanks perfect video as always!
Sorry, that manual doesn’t show the fact that you need to jam it up into the narrow portion of the air pathway. If you don’t, it just jostles around, and doesn’t work as effectively, and often falls on its side - requiring you to pull the metal bowl out and mess with it. No offense - but the cooling pads are a piss poor design. You should have a “shelf” of wood and a cooling pad a few MM wider than the shelf, which fits flush over the metal bowl. Would be simple, effective and allow better airflow.

HI praise if comparing to Herbo for sure. How does CouchLog stack up on flavor? Herbo is my best vape for flavor in my collection...

From the wood stem, flavor is definitely inferior. Full stop.

Without the wood stem and going straight to glass - I’m sure it’s close, but I doubt it’s as good or better, as the Herbo is just a piece of Titanium, where as the Couch Log has ceramic balls, and other components that can/could affect flavor. Frankly though - at that point I think we’re probably splitting hairs though, I’m sure the vast majority of folks won’t be able to tell a difference.

This is just my .02 - but if you already have a Herbo Ti and you plan on using a Couch Log thought glass 100% of the time, I don’t know that there’s a compelling reason to add one to your collection, unless you really have an issue with the exposed hot Ti nail on the Herbo. If you plan on using the Couch Log primarily though the wooden stem direct drawing dry, or intend to do so at least 25-30% of the time, I think it’s a compelling addition to your lineup. If you don’t get own a Herbo Ti and you’re looking at acquiring a heavy hitter - I’d DEFINITELY buy the Couch Log over the Herbo every time. The covered/protected heating element allows you to store it hot almost anywhere + the ability to do dry hits with complete ease = strong value prop over the Herbo. The only area the Herbo has the Couch Log beat is with concentrates - the Herbo is a monster with concentrates.

All the above said, the Couch Log is a work in progress and us early adopters are knowingly buying into the “beta test” if you will. I’d probably suggest waiting for all the niggles to get worked out before jumping in, unless you really want to buy into the beta program. I personally wanted to jump in at the beginning, and I don’t have any regrets - nor would I tell anyone not to buy it, but by the end of this weekend, the Couch Log is going into the closet for long-term hibernation until some of my gripes are addressed, or until I get off my duff and fix them myself.

It functions great, and it is everything it claims to be - but other than extracting faster, and having better glass compatibility - it doesn’t do anything better than my Tafee Bowle. The opposite can’t be said though and the TB has some clear, and compelling benefits over the Couch Log. With all the cheap cords (they hold their bend unlike a braided cord and look messy), the mismatched wood on the controller, the inferior flavor (dry), inferior cooling and the goofy mix of parts/pieces required to use the couch log which are all stored loosely, 15+ min heat up time - it’s just not something for me at this phase in it’s lifecycle. I’m sure Chris will work these issues out though, and when it does - he’s got a serious winner.

🙂

Last edited:

Texus

Sorry, that manual doesn’t show the fact that you need to jam it up into the narrow portion of the air pathway. If you don’t, it just jostles around, and doesn’t work as effectively, and often falls on its side - requiring you to pull the metal bowl out and mess with it. No offense - but the cooling pads are a piss poor design. You should have a “shelf” of wood and a cooling pad a few MM wider than the shelf, which fits flush over the metal bowl. Would be simple, effective and allow better airflow.

Without the wood stem and going straight to glass - I’m sure it’s close, but I doubt it’s as good or better, as the Herbo is just a piece of Titanium, where as the Couch Log has ceramic balls, and other components that can/could affect flavor. Frankly though - at that point I think we’re probably splitting hairs though, I’m sure the vast majority of folks won’t be able to tell a difference.

This is just my .02 - but if you already have a Herbo Ti and you plan on using a Couch Log thought glass 100% of the time, I don’t know that there’s a compelling reason to add one to your collection, unless you really have an issue with the exposed hot Ti nail on the Herbo. If you plan on using the Couch Log primarily though the wooden stem direct drawing dry, or intend to do so at least 25-30% of the time, I think it’s a compelling addition to your lineup. If you don’t get own a Herbo Ti and you’re looking at acquiring a heavy hitter - I’d DEFINITELY buy the Couch Log over the Herbo every time. The covered/protected heating element allows you to store it hot almost anywhere + the ability to do dry hits with complete ease = strong value prop over the Herbo. The only area the Herbo has the Couch Log beat is with concentrates - the Herbo is a monster with concentrates.

All the above said, the Couch Log is a work in progress and us early adopters are knowingly buying into the “beta test” if you will. I’d probably suggest waiting for all the niggles to get worked out before jumping in, unless you really want to buy into the beta program. I personally wanted to jump in at the beginning, and I don’t have any regrets - nor would I tell anyone not to buy it, but by the end of this weekend, the Couch Log is going into the closet for long-term hibernation until some of my gripes are addressed, or until I get off my duff and fix them myself.

It functions great, and it is everything it claims to be - but other than extracting faster, and having better glass compatibility - it doesn’t do anything better than my Tafee Bowle. The opposite can’t be said though and the TB has some clear, and compelling benefits over the Couch Log. With all the cheap cords (they hold their bend unlike a braided cord and look messy), the mismatched wood on the controller, the inferior flavor (dry), inferior cooling and the goofy mix of parts/pieces required to use the couch log which are all stored loosely, 15+ min heat up time - it’s just not something for me at this phase in it’s lifecycle. I’m sure Chris will work these issues out though, and when it does - he’s got a serious winner.

🙂
Really excellent summary here. Thanks a ton for that. Yeah, I see the form factor and being better suited to microdosing as nice advantages for CouchLog over Herbo.

And as I think about comments about the cooling pads and the mention of the TB, I also wonder if a wood stem with heat sink fins internally would be another possible way to accomplish great cooling. Never felt the need to run Bowle through water since even the shortest of the stems do a really great job at cooling (one of the less appreciated strengths of the TB IMHO).

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
And as I think about comments about the cooling pads and the mention of the TB, I also wonder if a wood stem with heat sink fins internally would be another possible way to accomplish great cooling. Never felt the need to run Bowle through water since even the shortest of the stems do a really great job at cooling (one of the less appreciated strengths of the TB IMHO).

I actually think the most effective part of the TB cooling system is the double right angle bend, the vapor path is a built-in jayhook... So it would be pretty awesome, to have a glass or steel lined wood stem that did the same thing, with a foot so it could stay seated on the desk even, but also be held comfortably in the hands, keeping the CL upside down on a bowl built into the hook??

Grass Yes

Yes
Staff member
Sorry, that manual doesn’t show the fact that you need to jam it up into the narrow portion of the air pathway. If you don’t, it just jostles around, and doesn’t work as effectively, and often falls on its side - requiring you to pull the metal bowl out and mess with it. No offense - but the cooling pads are a piss poor design.
I am waiting until I've used this device for the full two weeks before I start giving my "review" but I will say this is not my experience with the cooling pads. I have not have trouble placing them and I also like the flexibility of removing them. I occasionally use the golf tee to flip them if they go in sideways. I tend to use my CL at very low temps during the day and I only want one cooling pad. In the evening I either take them out completely to use the log on glass, or I put in two and crank up the juice. I like the flexibility this enables.

nitro

I believe flavor is highly subjective, but in my (time-limited) opinion, while using it with the glass bowl it stacks up to the Herborizer easily. I definitely need to do further testing though, so take it with a grain of salt. Flavor and „purity“ of vapor is quite hard to quantify. I did not test the wood stem yet, but this one certainly alters the flavor.

🙂

While I certainly believe all your points are quite valid for your situation, I do not understand the „work in progress“ and „beta test“ part. Which functional aspect of the vape would you want to see improved?
And I most certainly do not understand why you bench the CouchLog in favor of another vape, that fills quite a different niche, but to each their own :)

I have always been a „form follows function“ kind of guy though, so I do not value aesthetics quite as much - I would never worry about mismatching wood types. I absolutely understand your reasoning nevertheless.

Last edited:

JollyGreenGiant

I believe flavor is highly subjective, but in my (time-limited) opinion, while using it with the glass bowl it stacks up to the Herborizer easily. I definitely need to do further testing though, so take it with a grain of salt. Flavor and „purity“ of vapor is quite hard to quantify. I did not test the wood stem yet, but this one certainly alters the flavor.

While I certainly believe all your points are quite valid for your situation, I do not understand the „work in progress“ and „beta test“ part. Which functional aspect of the vape would you want to see improved?
And I most certainly do not understand why you bench the CouchLog in favor of another vape, that fills quite a different niche, but to each their own :)

I have always been a „form follows function“ kind of guy though, so I do not value aesthetics quite as much - I would never worry about mismatching wood types. I absolutely understand your reasoning nevertheless.

The work in progress should be self explanatory based on prior posts, and the fact that Chris is regularly posting new items/ideas here - like the glass stem, etc.

In terms of a vape that fills a different niche - I disagree. The intent of all vapes is to extract plant material. The Tafee Bowle does that every bit as effectively - just requires a few more hits. It also tastes a lot better (dry hit to dry hit), and comes together in a smaller, more tidy overall package that’s a more complete “system”. If you don’t use the cup for a beverage, you can toss you potter right in there - and in one handheld package have 5 filled ceramic bowls loaded up, and herb in the top chamber ready for a refill. Compare that to the Couch log and it’s night and day (log, cord from log to controller, controller, power cable from controller to wall, plastic loading funnel, golf tee tamper, wood stem and/or glass adapter bowl, grinder, ground material storage container) all of which “loose” parts. With the TB - it’s the vape with the always attached stem, and the metal potter. To be fair - there is a power cord for the TB as well - but that will easily fit in the empty cup with the potter, and I get a few days use out of one charge.

To each their own. I am picky and don’t want a bunch of mismatched parts/pieces, and while for now I’d still rank (just my personal preference) my mini VapBong over the Couch Log (due to its all in one design, and I like how open and “bong like” it is) - I’ll also say without hesitation if I could only own 2 vapes - without hesitation it would be 1. Tafee Bowle 2. Couch Log.

Don’t let the critiques give you the wrong impression - the Couch Log kicks ass - full stop. I am not aware of a single device that can dry hit nearly as hard as the Couch Log without it massacring your throat/lungs - and that’s a big deal. Really big deal. If you were only going to buy one desktop - there really isn’t another option out on the market that will give you monster dry hits that will clear a fully packed bowl in 2 pops, and then one hit cleared fully packed bowls through water.

I’m sure in weeks/months Couch Logs will have matching controllers, better cables, better fitting connections, refined/better tasting glass stems, etc. Once that happens - it’ll be the king of the hill in my opinion. Without pointing out areas for improvement though - folks make less informed decisions on what they’re buying, and the manufactures don’t get clear customer feedback on areas to improve. Fix the aforementioned issues - and I’ll buy a second one in an instant and keep the initial one as a collectible - sort of like my original Purple Daze.

Again, broken record time - but if the controller, lame cables, poor fitting cord connections, mismatched wood, etc don’t bother you - I’d say buy with haste, as in a short period of time as word continues to spread, I’m sure these will be a nightmare to buy/get in stock - similar to firewoods and Tetras.

Last edited:

Ralph

The work in progress should be self explanatory based on prior posts, and the fact that Chris is regularly posting new items/ideas here - like the glass stem, etc.

In terms of a vape that fills a different niche - I disagree. The intent of all vapes is to extract plant material. The Tafee Bowle does that every bit as effectively - just requires a few more hits. It also tastes a lot better (dry hit to dry hit), and comes together in a smaller, more tidy overall package that’s a more complete “system”. If you don’t use the cup for a beverage, you can toss you potter right in there - and in one handheld package have 5 filled ceramic bowls loaded up, and herb in the top chamber ready for a refill. Compare that to the Couch log and it’s night and day (log, cord from log to controller, controller, power cable from controller to wall, plastic loading funnel, golf tee tamper, wood stem and/or glass adapter bowl, grinder, ground material storage container) all of which “loose” parts. With the TB - it’s the vape with the always attached stem, and the metal potter. To be fair - there is a power cord for the TB as well - but that will easily fit in the empty cup with the potter, and I get a few days use out of one charge.

To each their own. I am picky and don’t want a bunch of mismatched parts/pieces, and while for now I’d still rank (just my personal preference) my mini VapBong over the Couch Log (due to its all in one design, and I like how open and “bong like” it is) - I’ll also say without hesitation if I could only own 2 vapes - without hesitation it would be 1. Tafee Bowle 2. Couch Log.

Don’t let the critiques give you the wrong impression - the Couch Log kicks ass - full stop. I am not aware of a single device that can dry hit nearly as hard as the Couch Log without it massacring your throat/lungs - and that’s a big deal. Really big deal. If you were only going to buy one desktop - there really isn’t another option out on the market that will give you monster dry hits that will clear a fully packed bowl in 2 pops, and then one hit cleared fully packed bowls through water.

I’m sure in weeks/months Couch Logs will have matching controllers, better cables, better fitting connections, refined/better tasting glass stems, etc. Once that happens - it’ll be the king of the hill in my opinion. Without pointing out areas for improvement though - folks make less informed decisions on what they’re buying, and the manufactures don’t get clear customer feedback on areas to improve. Fix the aforementioned issues - and I’ll buy a second one in an instant and keep the initial one as a collectible - sort of like my original Purple Daze.

Again, broken record time - but if the controller, lame cables, poor fitting cord connections, mismatched wood, etc don’t bother you - I’d say buy with haste, as in a short period of time as word continues to spread, I’m sure these will be a nightmare to buy/get in stock - similar to firewoods and Tetras.

What about the Musa Vape or the Nano XL. Why do you think the Couchlog would be better than these 2 or Ed's TNT logs?

Ralph,

Texus

I’m sure in weeks/months Couch Logs will have matching controllers, better cables, better fitting connections, refined/better tasting glass stems, etc. Once that happens - it’ll be the king of the hill in my opinion
Yup. These are the things I am waiting for. Tho if matching PSU will take a while I might get the cheap PSU option and then upgrade once the matching wood ones come out. Or if there was a trade-in option on those.

Texus,

nitro

You are correct - every vape is supposed to extract plant material, but that is not what I mean with niche. Or maybe use case would be more accurate. In my opinion the Bowl fills the niche of portable, on demand convection vaporizers quite well. And I do not refer to the specific routine you pointed out, but rather the essence of the vape itself. The TinyMight would be a more adequate comparison, that satisfies the same niche.

The CouchLog, in being a not-portable, ball injector log vape satisfies a completely different use case/niche. I would rather compare it to the Herbo or a Pinky. And exactly that is my personal appeal for collecting and experiencing a lot of different vaporizers and signatures. There are so many different approaches to what is essentially extracting plant material.

And while I understand your points regarding mismatched wood, I cannot see any fault with the cable nor do I have any problems with poor fitting connections. I am sure you could find some kind of braided power cable easily as an aftermarket part.

Do not understand me wrong though - I am all for transparency and giving feedback, both for the manufacturer and the potential customer. I am just offering my perspective, from someone who values function way over form, while also acknowledging of being in the minority.

JollyGreenGiant

You are correct - every vape is supposed to extract plant material, but that is not what I mean with niche. Or maybe use case would be more accurate. In my opinion the Bowl fills the niche of portable, on demand convection vaporizers quite well. And I do not refer to the specific routine you pointed out, but rather the essence of the vape itself. The TinyMight would be a more adequate comparison, that satisfies the same niche.

The CouchLog, in being a not-portable, ball injector log vape satisfies a completely different use case/niche. I would rather compare it to the Herbo or a Pinky. And exactly that is my personal appeal for collecting and experiencing a lot of different vaporizers and signatures. There are so many different approaches to what is essentially extracting plant material.

And while I understand your points regarding mismatched wood, I cannot see any fault with the cable nor do I have any problems with poor fitting connections. I am sure you could find some kind of braided power cable easily as an aftermarket part.

Do not understand me wrong though - I am all for transparency and giving feedback, both for the manufacturer and the potential customer. I am just offering my perspective, from someone who values function way over form, while also acknowledging of being in the minority.

1. Bowle isn't "portable" - it's a disk with a stem and cup. You aren't putting a cup/puck in a pocket, or in a backpack, etc. The Tafee Bowle is a cordless vaporizer for your home (I bet few owners have had their TB's leave their houses) - and I'd further wager most of the Tafee Bowle's are hanging out in, on or around a couch. Mine is. The Couch Log is called a COUCH log. It's a vape designed to hang out around/on your couch safely while you're hanging out so you can toke and chill - not have a formal/dedicated safe space like some vapes require. With that said - i'm going to drop this subject further, at least in this thread - given it's a bit of a tangent off the focus of this thread.

2. Either I got a dud (possible), you got a perfect example (also possible), or we have a different standard on proper fitment. If I get some time this weekend, i'll snap some better pics of the Couch Log, and take some close-up shots of the cheap cables, the poorly fitting loose connection on the controller that likes to randomly pop out, the power stem on the end of the power cord that sticks out 4mm or so from being flush to the log, etc.

3. I appreciate your perspective, and I am glad you're sharing it - it helps balance other perspectives like mine, and the conversation back and forth creates additional knowledge/info for prospective buyers.

Disclaimer repeated for posterity: The Couch Log is an outstanding device, and despite my comments, the positives dwarf the mild gripes I've shared in this thread, and if I could rewind time - I'd buy it again without hesitation as it is a killer product that is 90%+ complete in its first release! Think of how long it has taken many others - who still haven't produced a product as good as the couch log is. Very impressive, and you must support people and companies doing exceptional work like this. He hit a home run on the most difficult parts of a vaporizers product design, and just some small shortcuts and cut corners are holding this thing back from being a 10/10 product. I fully intend to buy another Couch Log in the future, as all the issues get worked out - it's that compelling.

beluga808

Just wanted to let you know that I received my Couchlog yesterday and I'm loving it so far!
I used it with controller set to 7 and used the glass bowl. Afterwards the herbs still had a light color, although I had a big hit before! :lol:
I draw a second time after a few minutes and it seemed like the bowl is cashed. Could this be the case? Or should I increase the temp to get the abv darker and get more out of the herb? Maybe the greenish abv is totally fine with this log vape? Tell me your thoughts! :)

Today I will do some further testing with different temp settings, amount of herbs, draw speed, how to pack the bowl etc... I would like to finish the bowl in one big hit... If you already found out a good working technique for that don't hesitate to spread the infos ;)

the poorly fitting loose connection on the controller that likes to randomly pop out, the power stem on the end of the power cord that sticks out 4mm or so from being flush to the log, etc.
I can't say I have these issues. The stems at my controller aren't wobbling around and don't pop out. Also the stem at the log is quite flush with the device. There's maybe 1 mm space?

nitro

1. Bowle isn't "portable" - it's a disk with a stem and cup. You aren't putting a cup/puck in a pocket, or in a backpack, etc. The Tafee Bowle is a cordless vaporizer for your home (I bet few owners have had their TB's leave their houses) - and I'd further wager most of the Tafee Bowle's are hanging out in, on or around a couch. Mine is. The Couch Log is called a COUCH log. It's a vape designed to hang out around/on your couch safely while you're hanging out so you can toke and chill - not have a formal/dedicated safe space like some vapes require. With that said - i'm going to drop this subject further, at least in this thread - given it's a bit of a tangent off the focus of this thread.

2. Either I got a dud (possible), you got a perfect example (also possible), or we have a different standard on proper fitment. If I get some time this weekend, i'll snap some better pics of the Couch Log, and take some close-up shots of the cheap cables, the poorly fitting loose connection on the controller that likes to randomly pop out, the power stem on the end of the power cord that sticks out 4mm or so from being flush to the log, etc.

3. I appreciate your perspective, and I am glad you're sharing it - it helps balance other perspectives like mine, and the conversation back and forth creates additional knowledge/info for prospective buyers.

Disclaimer repeated for posterity: The Couch Log is an outstanding device, and despite my comments, the positives dwarf the mild gripes I've shared in this thread, and if I could rewind time - I'd buy it again without hesitation as it is a killer product that is 90%+ complete in its first release! Think of how long it has taken many others - who still haven't produced a product as good as the couch log is. Very impressive, and you must support people and companies doing exceptional work like this. He hit a home run on the most difficult parts of a vaporizers product design, and just some small shortcuts and cut corners are holding this thing back from being a 10/10 product. I fully intend to buy another Couch Log in the future, as all the issues get worked out - it's that compelling.
I will drop it as well - but I believe we have very different definitions of „portable“. For me it is considered portable, insofar it has a battery and can be powered without mains electricity, irregardless of individual use case or a non-functional cup.

Regarding the fitment issues I might add, that I chose the budget variant with the plastic controller, that might be the reason why I do not have any issues. Maybe you actually do have a dud, I am looking forward to your pictures.

What we can agree 100% on, is that the performance of the vape is phenomenal (despite a couple of technical teething).

I will try the wood stem later today, but I will most likely use the glass bowl exclusively in the future.
I did not anticipate to find the whole „cordless hits“ with the CouchLog as useful and enjoyable as I find it now, after using it this way a couple of times. I believe especially when using it as an injector vape, the lack of cord is really convenient.

Texus

Very unfortunate update. I tried using the Couch Log for just the second time... and it no longer works. The ONE day I was able to use it, it was great - but at this point, things aren't looking good.
So think that confirms it that you have a dud.

And glad to see another Herborizer Sherlock fan. My favorite dry piece. Tho Inception j-hook is close behind.

TeaCup

Can someone tell me the height of the body and stem together, I think it's around 7 inches? And could someone tell me how many grams the two together weigh? Thanks, appreciate it.

TeaCup,

coolbreeze

Can someone tell me the height of the body and stem together, I think it's around 7 inches? And could someone tell me how many grams the two together weigh? Thanks, appreciate it.
Length 7 inches assembled, more or less exactly; weight about 149 grams for a mostly kingwood body and mouthpiece, no cooling pad, cables, or controller.

TeaCup

Length 7 inches assembled, more or less exactly; weight about 149 grams for a mostly kingwood body and mouthpiece, no cooling pad, cables, or controller.
Exactly what I wanted, thank you. I'm tryin' my darndest to get my baby steps to take longer strides. :)

beluga808

I just found out that the TM dosing caps fit quite perfectly in the glass bowl. I will do some testing with it today.
I'm going to use it without the lid to have an open area for the air path. As the capsule has the same diameter as the heater I'm hoping to receive a more even roast of the herbs. I will report back once I have results! ;)

Top Bottom