VaporGenie

OF

This thing is actually easier for me to use then the Palm 2.0 and I get crazy big hits by just holding the lighter to it for 5 seconds, vapes evenly also, great stuff!

Great news, glad it was a simple fix. I too think VGs are capable of amazing duty, but you have to 'do it their way'. If you fight it, the results can be disappointing.

After a bit, it's almost instinctive I think. Easy to become friends on those terms.

I'm definitely getting the hang of the gvb, the avb is vaping evenly with no green or dark brown flakes.

I agree. The Bronze VG is my favorite by far. Funny, though, after using it for a while my more conventional ones seem much easier to work well. The coil is still a trial, and the aluminum bat beats me every time. Go figure......

For me, the better view afforded by the Bronze one is very nice.

OF

2 Paces

I agree. The Bronze VG is my favorite by far. Funny, though, after using it for a while my more conventional ones seem much easier to work well. The coil is still a trial, and the aluminum bat beats me every time. Go figure......

For me, the better view afforded by the Bronze one is very nice.

OF

OF - He was responding to me on that, and when he said GVB he meant Glass Vapor Bat. Grokit gave me the recommendation for it, and it rocks!

Edit: just realized he was responding to someone else, but he did mean glass vapor bat.

Last edited:

OF

OF - He was responding to me on that, and when he said GVB he meant Glass Vapor Bat. Grokit gave me the recommendation for it, and it rocks!

Edit: just realized he was responding to someone else, but he did mean glass vapor bat.

Sorry, my mistake....well at least the agreeing part. The rest still stands? The Bronze VG is still my favorite and the aluminum bat I still can make work right. I've never tried the glass one.

Thanks.

OF

OF,
Reactions: 2 Paces

jambandphan03

in flavor country
I liked the glass Sherlock too, and have contemplated getting the glass bat, but the main thing stopping me is that I prefer to use blue flame, and having to point that at my face in order to get it going is a bit of a deterrent to me. How did you light yours grokit? blue or yellow flame? Do you find it easy to work with so close to the face like that?

I have found a happy compromise using my healthstone glass w/a reducer for the diffuser similar to the sherlock but a bit more pocket friendly.

One main advantage I see the glass having over the others, besides clean taste, is you can see your hit as it forms. That takes a lot of guess work out of the heating process.

2 Paces

One main advantage I see the glass having over the solids, is you can see your hit. That takes a lot of guess work out of the heating process.

Bingo.

I love the fact that I can watch it through the glass. I've never tried a solid VG, but being able to watch the vapor production made it easy to learn for me.

grokit

well-worn member
How did you light yours grokit? blue or yellow flame? Do you find it easy to work with so close to the face like that?

I use a yellow flame (as recommended), I have a whole bunch of bics so that was part of my decision to go with the VGs. The glass bat is bigger (and sturdier) than it looks, the flame does not feel close to my face at all. My technique is to draw hard and hold the lighter as far away as possible while moving it in a somewhat circular direction, this keeps the flame clean and avoids soot as well as combustion. I always try to remember to pause to burn off any flint dust before inhaling.

I didn't have much success with the hempwicks and the gvb, but will try them with the sherlock as well to see if it works any better; I have read that they only work with certain VGs.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
I really like smoking out of the glass sherlock, it functions very well and the taste is great. The ryot case is also very nice, to the point of being overkill. The bowl size is indeed much bigger but it works well less than full. I like it as much as I thought I would; the bat is definitely more portable and probably more durable so I think more practical, but the sherlock sure is fun to smoke out of.

The only thing that troubles me is the prospect of cleaning it. Just from trying it a couple of times the screen is undersized to get in and out easily, but it lets quite a few not so tiny particles through that just end up sticking inside the clear pipe body, pretty much ruining its otherwise stellar look.

It would be better if there was a second ground glass joint to make screen removal easier, but this would probably add weight, cost, size and complication so I can see why vg made it this way. I crammed a flat v-tower screen in there, it was a bit too big so it probably won't come out without being destroyed. But nothing will get through it, that's for sure!

Maybe vg was out of the right size screen, or maybe they used to use a bigger screen but it was too hard to replace. Or maybe this is the way it's always been. I'm sure that I'll find my ultimate solution somewhere in between the one that they supplied and the one that's in there now, but I was also wondering if anybody has come across this before with the gs what their experience was.

Last edited:

grokit

well-worn member
Just tried the gs with the new screen, not only are no more particles getting through but the ones that did earlier have now moved to the handle part and are no longer unsightly, in fact I had to look closely to even find them. I would consider the gs a luxury item compared to the glass bat which is more practical, but I really like them both and I think they compliment each other well.

Probably the best thing I can say about the gs at this point is that my sub was turned off this morning, and I reached for it instead of my new pinnacle pro; that's actually saying quite a lot. It's just fun to use.

I do think that the gs would be much easier to pass around to combusters/noobs than the bat because the technique is more natural; meaning it's harder to screw it up by either combusting or adding soot.

Last edited:

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

About 6 months have passed since i started evaluating the VG through my "modding" and now that i've got a Plan-A some interesting pattern appeared to emerge lately which i feel should be shared, since i've finally been able to put fire on hold for awhile. As a consequence of switching vapes i can state i've stayed away from any "eventual" butane-related contaminants for nearly a week (Plan-A is electronic) but yet i continue to experience nasal congestion episodes, sometimes followed by rafale sneezing exactly like before! So.... Under this new light i find obvious that if butane was any part of my excessive body reaction problem at all then it's safe to asssume that wasn't a decisive element it seems!!

With butane reasonably eliminated from the equation i guess seasonal allergens and/or terpenes may be representative of what's left as a potential explanation, i might even happen to develop allergy symptoms to cannabis, go figure!... But for the time being i just think butane is of little concern unless soot will be generated, or it's cheap low-grade fuel, whatever.

As far as i'm concerned a modded pipe makes such excellent sampling device my brand new V-Tower can hardly compete with it. In short, better late than never: there's progress at last!

:peace:

Egzoset,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

Six months: i suppose it's about time for a concluding review, at last.

Well, my modding venture started with this post:

Not much has changed externally and i'll handle the internal modifications somewhat later.

;)

So, now that i've been using a thermostatic table unit almost exclusively for the last week i only wish to renew my expression of enthousiasm for the VaporGenie concept!!

:tup:

...with suggestions on how to improve it further.

But first i must insist on the pleasant/satisfying aspect of this consumption mode, or at least once optimized for those like me who appear to require it - because, lets face it: the VG Classic failed to work as sold in my particular case; modding allowed me to render its operating range more compatible with my own comfort zone it seems...

Anyway, i've found the perfect Plan-B:

1) Convenient time-tested power source
2) Self-Humidified (butane burning => heat + water vapor + CO2)
3) Easy access to intense Aroma/Taste perceptions
4) Economic operation (125 mg bowl)​

In short i find it's ideal for "sampling" missions!

Now, the modding part...

Instead of seeking an exact winner recipe i got satisfied with the last configuration enough to leave it there. It's simple in the end, metal located directly above a bowl will behave like a secondary heat source and may radiate so much this would cause more concern instead of just fix the problem it's meant to avoid. Metal = Radiator, finally it wasn't such a good idea. Have a fine screen hold cannabic herb in the bowl and put some air cushion between it and your heat-exchanger assembly which could be structured as follows (this hasn't been evaluated): 4 discs, 2 foamy-rock materials of different density... A pair of denser discs with an air path around the center would obscure the focal heat point while promoting circulation near the edge. Dense correctly aligned tripod-shaped pieces would have a circulation profile meant to delay formation of a hot-spot, effectively preventing combustion for all practical purposes. A pair of more "aerial" foamy-rocks shall wrap it up nicely. So, 4 discs is all it takes overall, 2 of them being shaped to include some amount of air cushion in a final implementation. The front puck needs to be 4 mm thick since less will let the light pass! I like 5 mm better. This only leaves a mere 2.5 mm to distribute over the other 3 pucks, which is clearly insufficient - but i found a solution: install one in the smaller bowl-side aperture (of the ball) instead. This later setup would even save ~0.1 mm over the genuine VG Classic product.

To recapitulate, if i could try it myself i'd want a 5 mm thick standard-density (e.g. "aerial") VG "ceramic filter" for the front puck, followed by a set of 2 denser/more opaque 1.2 mm thick partial discs (e.g. with hollow areas cut to favor a "defocussing" effect), ending with a 1.2 mm thick standard-density ("aerial") bowl-side VG rock separated from cannabis by some air layer and then a metal screen... Outside, an articulated "S" shaped extension "trainer" tube should provide eye-contact as an option since this can really speed up learning, if not simply render it possible at all.

Last edited:
Egzoset,
Reactions: grokit

ChildInTime

Hello people. Smoked mary jane one time in my life with no effect, but before starting I wanna buy a portable cheap vaporizer. Did quite a lot of reading and came to VapoGenie vs. Vaporstar.

VaporGenie seems to be much more convenient cause I don't need to buy bong, but heard people say they get more consistent high on VaporStar. Also I am not planning to do any modding with VG if that helps.

What do you guys suggest? Purpose is to have clean lungs and not smoke. I want it to be my only smoking device, because I don't have more money for now at least :)

ChildInTime,
Reactions: OF

OF

Hello people. Smoked mary jane one time in my life with no effect, but before starting I wanna buy a portable cheap vaporizer. Did quite a lot of reading and came to VapoGenie vs. Vaporstar.

First off, howdy! Great you're considering vaping, are researching your options and asking questions.

To start, don't worry about 'not getting off' the first time or two, that's probably the common experience. Many/most don't, it's always been like that. I think guys tend to respond more to the garbage in the smoke than the THC at first?

Anyway VG is an excellent 'first vape' I think. I started there, as did many here. Some still use it routinely much later, many of us keep one handy for occasional use. My Bronze one is on the desk in front of me.

I have both several models of VG and the VS, my advice is to stay away from the VS. Too little mass in the heat exchanger, too hard to keep it at 'the sweet spot'. You have to work to hard for every day use IMO. Also be aware there's a cheap Chinese copy out there with questionable materials.

I also suggest you avoid the coil and bat version (with the possible exception of the glass bat which I've never tried) many guys have trouble keeping them working well. My personal favorite is the Bronze one since it offers the best view of the bowl for aiming the fire. Second favorite ones are the 'regular pipe looking one' followed by the original which IMO are too small for easy use.

I also suggest you get a torch type lighter, most guys find them best. Some prefer candle flame styles but I think the torch is easier to control, as I think most do? Avoid Bics and similar ones with 'flints', the dust is problematic (heavy metals).

Then keep your bud dry and well ground, be careful of the heat but not shy and follow the results to get where you want performance wise. Variable temperature vapes like VG will teach you a lot about vaping if you listen.....

Best wishes.

OF

ChildInTime

Thanks OF!

Now you were talking about coil and bat version, do you mean the color, or I am missing something here? I have selection of those colors: http://www.zamnesia.com/vaporizer-portable/993-vaporgenie.html

Now I am definitely getting either lighter (which seems suprisingly quite expensive) or maybe help wick.

P.S. There is also stuff like: http://www.skunkrevolution.com/top-vapor-vp180-661-p.asp which is electrical super cheap. Yes, it's not portable, but whatever, I even save money on lighter. My mate said he is using and it's good, but I don't know for sure if it's worth buying cheap no-name vaporizer.

ChildInTime,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations ChildInTime,

...I wanna buy a portable... ...VapoGenie vs. Vaporstar. ...because I don't have more money...

Well, if there can be no errors then i'd simply point out that glass ain't the best material for portable applications. But since glass doesn't seem to cause concerns in the present case why not consider those below?

They're all glass while offering quite an "obvious" view, on top of that! :cool:

Now I am definitely getting either lighter (which seems suprisingly quite expensive) or maybe help wick.

The power source may be user-supplied (the VG case) but it's no trivial component in such systems, i spent money on a few lighters before a suitable one was found (after i made a special order in a local store, finally!)... So, once done acquiring the "perfect" lighter will there be money left for a vaporizer at all?...

39.gif

There is also stuff like... ...electrical super cheap. ...even save money on lighter.

Given the choice i'd pick a Vaporite Glow Pro (mainly convection) over a BC-style (mainly conduction) Top-Vapor VP180 thing anytime, yet i'm afraid that with no room for error i just might experience endless hesitation to no end before i do...

OF

Thanks OF!

Now you were talking about coil and bat version, do you mean the color, or I am missing something here? I have selection of those colors: http://www.zamnesia.com/vaporizer-portable/993-vaporgenie.html

You're welcome. Happy to help if I can.

Yes, that style is my 3rd favorite. It looks like you're in the EU? Over here I buy from the maker usually, this is my favorite, now out of stock:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/bronze-sherlock-vaporizer

IMO a truly splendid piece, their engineer called it his favorite as well a while back. My second favorite line (several similar models) are more conventional in size and appearance and easier to work IMO than the ones you're considering:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/spiral-teak-hand-carved-vg-vaporizer

If you're in the EU I recommend this lighter, cheap, rugged but unfortunately easy to misplace. I've used them for years now and have yet to break one or wear one out:
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-844001320

These are also good from the same source, but IMO not as 'natural' in use:
http://dx.com/p/honest-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-11868

Free shipping, and quite fast really. I suggest ordering a few, you'll like them and use them for other things.

I'd stay way clear of 'dome vapes'. They are primitive and random sub standard performance is about all they can do. Box vapes are a step up. Both are a long way from a well thought out machine like VG.

I'm not sure what EU vendors sell the other models. The one you're looking at is fine in the end, IMO much better than the coil or bats for routine use, just not my first choice (or even second).

Best wishes.

OF

ChildInTime

Egzoset, thanks, Vaponic looks really nice, so small and simple, just it is from glass, so you can break it easily. And Vaporgenie looks much cooler haha, so unless I see a good reason to go with something else, Vaporgenie FTW :) Vaporstar and Vaponic are close 2nds so far.

You're welcome. Happy to help if I can.

Yes, that style is my 3rd favorite. It looks like you're in the EU? Over here I buy from the maker usually, this is my favorite, now out of stock:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/bronze-sherlock-vaporizer

IMO a truly splendid piece, their engineer called it his favorite as well a while back. My second favorite line (several similar models) are more conventional in size and appearance and easier to work IMO than the ones you're considering:
http://www.vaporgenie.com/spiral-teak-hand-carved-vg-vaporizer

If you're in the EU I recommend this lighter, cheap, rugged but unfortunately easy to misplace. I've used them for years now and have yet to break one or wear one out:
http://dx.com/p/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-844001320

These are also good from the same source, but IMO not as 'natural' in use:
http://dx.com/p/honest-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-11868

Free shipping, and quite fast really. I suggest ordering a few, you'll like them and use them for other things.

I'd stay way clear of 'dome vapes'. They are primitive and random sub standard performance is about all they can do. Box vapes are a step up. Both are a long way from a well thought out machine like VG.

I'm not sure what EU vendors sell the other models. The one you're looking at is fine in the end, IMO much better than the coil or bats for routine use, just not my first choice (or even second).

Best wishes.

OF

That lighter is out of stock haha. But definitely gonna order it when it's back again, cause price is very good.

Now on Vaporgenie, wow models you've shown looks much cooler, are they produced for US specifically or just newer? Because here in Netherlands most online shops I checked only sell this model I've shown you of Vaporgenie. I guess color does not really matter in the end..

ChildInTime,

OF

That lighter is out of stock haha. But definitely gonna order it when it's back again, cause price is very good.

Now on Vaporgenie, wow models you've shown looks much cooler, are they produced for US specifically or just newer? Because here in Netherlands most online shops I checked only sell this model I've shown you of Vaporgenie. I guess color does not really matter in the end..

Of course it's out of stock, you get Murphy over there too.....don't try to deny it, I know better.....

I've had to wait to reorder before, I suspect the wait will be short.

That's why I suggested the fall back. I'd order one or even two of those to get you going, it's a solid enough unit, it's just kind of awkward IMO. The first is a better call. Since you don't pay a price or shipping penalty for a small order, why not at least get one of the first on it's way to you right now?

I like low prices, too. Most folk work too hard for their money to be throwing it around....buy weed instead?

No restrictions on shipments I know of, I just suspect the profits are smaller or they're harder to sell? In 'head shops' here you seldom see any but the basic ones you're looking at. The ones you showed work fine, I just think given the choice you'll get more long term satisfaction from the others?

Color is not an issue if it's genuine, some of the counterfeits were lead based paint.....kind of going the other way health wise. I like the natural look, personally, walnut or teak are nice IMO. The high mass of Bronze, OTOH, is very hice to hold and use. Tough call, no real bad choices.

Regards,

OF

Egzoset

Banned
Hi again ChildInTime,

...unless I see a good reason to go with something else, Vaporgenie FTW...

The VG's small size combined to its sturdiness make it easy to carry arround but this still ain't exactly self-contained: it won't travel alone, have a carrying pouch handy!

:D

...wow models you've shown...

Sorry, i can't tell for sure what product this is refering to, but to me the "WOW" models would be VaporGenie's Bronze and/or Glass ("J-Hook" shape) pipes.

...here in Netherlands...

When you finally issue this over-seas order it may prove to be a good idea to also require a replacement "Ceramic Filter" since those don't sell separately...

Egzoset,

ChildInTime

Of course it's out of stock, you get Murphy over there too.....don't try to deny it, I know better.....

I've had to wait to reorder before, I suspect the wait will be short.

That's why I suggested the fall back. I'd order one or even two of those to get you going, it's a solid enough unit, it's just kind of awkward IMO. The first is a better call. Since you don't pay a price or shipping penalty for a small order, why not at least get one of the first on it's way to you right now?

I like low prices, too. Most folk work too hard for their money to be throwing it around....buy weed instead?

No restrictions on shipments I know of, I just suspect the profits are smaller or they're harder to sell? In 'head shops' here you seldom see any but the basic ones you're looking at. The ones you showed work fine, I just think given the choice you'll get more long term satisfaction from the others?

Color is not an issue if it's genuine, some of the counterfeits were lead based paint.....kind of going the other way health wise. I like the natural look, personally, walnut or teak are nice IMO. The high mass of Bronze, OTOH, is very hice to hold and use. Tough call, no real bad choices.

Regards,

OF

Yeah it's no problemo, it's just a lighter :D

Oh and by the way, that torch is not electric right? I read that torches with electric ignition are best in regards of safety and not inhaling any bad things.

I tried the Vaponic, and felt that if I wanted to use thinner glass in that manner, then the Ubie was much more economical... at $15 each, and 2 for $20 it is the ideal throw away vape!
Ubie Vaporizer
FuckCombustion Ubie Thread
It does not however replace a VaporGenie by any means!

Well I don't need many mediocre ones, but yeah it looks really nice.

Hi again ChildInTime,

The VG's small size combined to its sturdiness make it easy to carry arround but this still ain't exactly self-contained: it won't travel alone, have a carrying pouch handy!

:D

Sorry, i can't tell for sure what product this is refering to, but to me the "WOW" models would be VaporGenie's Bronze and/or Glass ("J-Hook" shape) pipes.

When you finally issue this over-seas order it may prove to be a good idea to also require a replacement "Ceramic Filter" since those don't sell separately...

By "wow" I meant the ones OF posted, they looks really cool. Also, I am ordering things here from Netherlands mostly, they have enough stuff for smokers here haha, so definitely not paying for shipment from overseas :)

Last edited:
ChildInTime,
Top Bottom