• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

VaporGenie

grokit

well-worn member
Organic means non-gmo, which probably doesn't matter for our purposes, but it also means free of man-made chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, which can show up in the end product. The question may then be at what temperature do these toxic chemicals, many of which are carcinogenic, break down and vaporize? I would prefer not to worry about such concerns so I choose to go organic.

edit: Cotton production uses more chemicals per unit area than any other crop and accounts in total for 10-16% of the world's pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, and defoliants).

Last edited:

OF

Organic means non-gmo, which probably doesn't matter for our purposes, but it also means free of man-made chemical fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides, which can show up in the end product.

edit: Cotton production uses more chemicals per unit area than any other crop and accounts in total for 10-16% of the world's pesticides (including herbicides, insecticides, and defoliants).

Yup, that would be my point.

The "cotton logo" does not mean chemical free like "organic" normally does. My Levi's have a 'cotton bug' on them for heaven's sake, I sure don't think it's safe to vape them......

Guys who seek out "organic cotton" for vaping use have good reason for doing so I think, most of us come to vaping looking for a better, safer way.

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
Do more reading.
There is NOTHING left in cotton after complete processing for medical products. This is why it is used in hospitals.. it's utter and complete LACK of anything including pesticide residue.
Better yet, ask a doctor, or surgeon.. ( I did)
I was told there are no pesticide residues in non-organic cotton after it has finished processing, not growing.
I was further told that the main cotton product that does retain it's residues is cotton batting for the inside of a mattress, which does not receive full processing before it is sold.

Vitolo,

HobbyStoner

My life has changed forever.
I got my VG a few days ago and tried it out yesterday, and it being my first time vaping i have never ever had such a clean and smooth experience!
I love that the pipe doesn't reek of sticky resin, and i love that my throat isn't sore and that my breath doesn't smell!
I never want to smoke again, this is an absolute game-changer, and i could not be happier that i spent my hard earned money on this piece of genius!

grokit

well-worn member
Why are you so against organic cotton Vitolo? Is it the cost? Even if there are no toxic effects, traditionally-grown cotton is absolutely horrible for the planet. Others have pointed out that there is a taste component to cotton, which is why I went with organic for comparing to de-gummed hemp fiber. I also wonder how the bleaching processes compare with organic and non-organic.

grokit,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Why are you so against organic cotton Vitolo.
I am not in any way against organic cotton.
I am pointing out that it does not matter in the end result as far as vaping and contaminants.
I also will insist that I have never tasted any flavor in any cotton.. organic or "normal" cotton, and I use both... whatever is available
Those that imagine they taste a flavor, can live with the imagined flavor, or don't invlove cotton in your routine.
Bleaching leaves the product devoid.

Same way that I do not care if a person uses organic toilet paper or Charmin.
Most folks go for softness and convenience rather than thinking of ecology.
If it makes a person feel as though he/she is contributing to the universe buy supporting "organic" or "all natural" products, then by all means, I encourage each person to strive for this feeling of contributing to the planet. A feeling of self worth is valuable.

My point was only that medical grade cotton has no residual contaminants... and I was "setting the record straight" for the potential misinterpretation of newbies, that cotton may be unsafe. They come here to learn to vape. Having vape facts intermingled with preferences involving the environment, could be confusing to them. They may then scour neighborhoods for days seeking organic cotton to vape with thinking it the only way to go, when they had cotton at Walgreens. They might avoid regular cotton henceforth thinking
it unsafe, when it is just an effort by ecologically committed individuals to do a part in saving the planet.

When I polish my VaporGenie with Beeswax, I use paper towel to remove the wax and polish it as well. I could use old diapers to shine up my VG, and wash them out... I don't I use paper towel, because I can throw it away when I am done.

Vitolo,

grokit

well-worn member
Hmm, never heard of organic toilet paper, learn something new every day!

My main environmental point was about cotton's outsized chemical footprint on the planet.

Is sterile the same as medical grade or is that another level of certification? Because if medical grade is different I wonder what the process is to remove the contaminants, and how toxic that process is.

Thanks for the reply regardless.

grokit,

grokit

well-worn member
From US Cotton:

ORGANIC
  • 100% cotton super absorbency, absorbs moisture away from skin
  • Organic cotton is softer, whiter
  • Pesticide free
  • USDA approved
  • Includes organic balls, rounds and swabs

CLASSIC
Classic is made from 100% pure cotton that is natural and safe for all skin types. The Classic product line offers a variety of products to suit your needs.
  • Cotton Balls
  • Rounds
  • Squares
  • Swabs

MEDICAL
Medical offers a variety of premium sterile and non-sterile medical quality cotton products made from high-quality, absorbent cotton. The medical cotton family is uniquely formulated to suit the specific needs of the medical community. Our medical products include absorbent rolls, balls, cotton tipped swabs and wood tipped swabs.
  • Cotton balls are compact, soft and uniform
  • Rayon balls are cling-free
  • Cotton rolls are USP Grade A and are bleached snowy white

Just in case anybody else in interested.
:horse:

grokit,

Pcpvapors

Aha regardless here, it keeps the glass Sherlock from being a pain to clean! I've been eyeballing the picking up another VG. Hard debate between a beautiful hand carved, and the glass bat.

EDIT: on a side note, I have the eternity lighter from my healthstone pipe laying around, I know principally the heat exchanger is both is similar, could I use the eternity lighter with a VG safely?

Pcpvapors,

Vitolo

Vaporist
Of the 2 flame ports on the Eternity, I prefer it's Softer flame (on the front of lighter) for the VG family of vapes. The soft flame from this dual lighter is still yellow.

Even better, I prefer the torch on the right however.. set to an ultra soft blue flame as seen here:

Last edited:

Jeff-K

Got my Bronze Scherlock in the mail today and gave it a test run.

This thing rocks! It has a nice weight to it, excellent view on the bowl, nice piece to look at.

I also bought the RYOT PackRatz Pouch to go with it and it fits perfect!

All in all very happy with my purchase.

Cheers

fake name

Hey guys, I have a question. Does anybody know if the size of the heat stone from the glass Vaporgenie is the same size as the stone from the ss coil genie or the standard genie?

I want to make a custom gong piece that I only need the top of the glass VG for, so I was thinking about buying the stone-less glass top and a Coil. This would end up costing me $58, which is a little more than half the price of the glass VG (the glass VG at $109, just outside my budget). If anybody can help me out, it would really be appreciated. Thanks!

fake name,

palinny

New poster sharing her VG thoughts (warning- extremely biased):

REVIEW:
1. Fab Creative Team: Familiar Classics, Fun-colored Classics, folksy Wood Carved, Flame-finished, stunning Glass Sherlock, sophisticated Bronze Sherlock, flighty Bats & flame-free Volta all exhibit fine form, smooth feel, pleasing proportions, and flair to spare.
2. Fantastic Functionality: Smooth & Steady draws = VAPOR flavor!
3. First-rate Customer Service: A personal problem I encountered as an MS patient, was fixed fuss-free. Forever a fan.
4. Delivery: Fassssst.

WISHES:
1. Deep ocean blue or emerald green Glass Sherlocks (to hide particles and cloudines).
2. Easier draw on Bronze Sherlock VG.
3. Magnetic closure of Glass Sherlock glass top (can't fall out).
4. Extra screens (two) and wire rings (two) included with all initial VG purchases for the disabled (honor system).

TIPS:
1. Rest lighter, or hand that is holding lighter, on the pipe to help keep flame steady.
2. Rest elbow on table, or hold arms against body, to help keep pipe steady.

DaProfessor

I never want to smoke again, this is an absolute game-changer, and i could not be happier that i spent my hard earned money on this piece of genius!

Welcome to vaporizers! The vapor genie is a great portable vape. Wait until you try other vaporizers. I like the vapor genie, it can even be used with hemp wick. You need thick wick or twist together a few strands of a thinner one to get a larger flame. The only downside to the VG is that it can be impossible to use in any amount of moving air. At least that was my major problem. Its possible to us a jet torch, but I've never tried it.

OF

Entirely not true? As in nothing true in the statement? And for this you offer some unrelated "Mythbuster" deal on food?

Basically the statement is true I think. Normal cotton uses a HUGE share of poisons and fertilizers, many are concerned those end up in the final product.

In point of fact 'Organic Cotton' is generally taken to mean 'free of man made chemicals':
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_cotton

Each guy gets to decide for himself how important that difference is, but IMO it's quite real.

OF

honorface

vape weed; eat yogurt
Sorry the 'entirely' made my statement bogus! Just letting people know that organic does not necessarily mean chemical free. The organic cotton trade requires it be chemical free but there is also no penalty for claiming your product as organic. I have had bad experiences trusting organic labels so I am always wary!

honorface,
Reactions: OF

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations DaProfessor,

Its possible to use a jet torch, but I've never tried it.

Mine is a moddified wooden Classic, i've attempted to adjust my modding until it seemed i had obtained a wider range of operation allowing convenient use of a blue "jet" butane lighter (in presence of wind, as a matter of fact), while still working great with my prefered yellow-flame heat source... That's about when i realized there's an important variability between different lighters and then the low-power "torch" unit (shaped for pipes) became my favorite for windy environments - by the way: i heat up from the side.

But really, if one must vape outdoors i believe that's not going to be where a wodden VG shines best, IMO...

:peace:

grokit

well-worn member

If you scroll down a bit the entire article has been rebutted, here's a great example:
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...-farming-conventional-agriculture/#comment-26

"This is a clever piece that makes several valid points, but the author CW goes over the line on many points. She sets up straw men that are mostly divorced from reality, and then takes great pains (and pleasure) in tearing them up. The flow of misinformation is also much greater than one would expect in a Scientific America blog"

Last edited:

Pcpvapors

Would it be possible to use a fritted glass filter instead of the usual VG/Healthstone stone?

Pcpvapors,
Top Bottom