VaporGenie

2 Paces

I'm been enjoying my new glass vapor bat so much that I just pulled the trigger on the brass sherlock

You've got me so close to snagging one of those GVBs. I've been looking for a non-battery portable option, and that one looks like it would fit the bill for what I want.

So you're really digging it?

How does it hit? Light, heavy, or is it capable of either depending on the user/technique? I have no experience with any VG or butane, so I don't know what to expect.

2 Paces,

grokit

well-worn member
I've only used it a few times, because I greatly prefer the kind of dosage I can get from home vapes. But that's what I like about the gvb, with a little patience it can be a monster so it gives me the dosage that I need and I can jam it in my pocket. Or you can sip it like a pax on low, it's all up to how much flame you give it. It's glass but does not feel fragile by any means.

It's also super easy to master right out of the gate which is big for me! The only rule seems to be not to let the flame touch the filter directly, and it works great with a bic but let it burn for a second before you start drawing because flint dust is toxic. I'm going to experiment with wrapping my bic with some hempwick soon, I have read mixed reviews about their use with certain vg's though.

2 Paces

I've only used it a few times, because I greatly prefer the kind of dosage I can get from home vapes. But that's what I like about the gvb, with a little patience it can be a monster so it gives me the dosage that I need and I can jam it in my pocket.

Sounds good to me. I just ordered one :tup:

It will be nice to have a flame option in the arsenal!

2 Paces,

PPN

Volute of Vapor
I get a Vg classic because l need a flame option, l use it with the mflb bong adaptater through water (l never try it dry), it work really good and quickly, i like to use it with my concentrates.
I have a vapocane B too and it taste better than VG but not so quickly and VG work better with kief or bubble hash in my opinion.

grokit

well-worn member
I've read the the best tasting vg's are the glass ones (bat is awesome), but the metal ones aren't that far behind. I'm wondering if the wood heat exchanger will affect the taste of my upcoming brass bronze sherlock.

edited for :rolleyes:

Last edited:
grokit,

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
The Bronze Sherlock tastes amazing to me , I've never used a glass to compare . Since the wood is only around the ss part and stone you don't taste it . The bottom or body section of my old VG classic smells and tastes a bit after 5 years but if I put the top on another clean bowl its all good .

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations GroKit,

...wow Egzoset, that was...

That was over a month ago so i guess it's now time to post an update, on some recent experiment:

2n0lhsw.jpg

It appears to function optimally my modded pipe must be pre-heated first so i'm presently exploring a 2-paths configuration where the initial/optional phase is done via my HerbalAire pump, the second/final path being my modded pipe as before.

Pre-heating translates as a significant task in terms of lung effort, the water which naturally forms during the reaction would collect inside my PVC tube and then leave a visible trace behind, proving this simple self-moisturizing concept quite clearly in the process:

347ziur.jpg

So far i've toyed with about 20~ versions, the last one has been under evaluation for a couple weeks and there's no urge to change so far. Eye-contact remains essential, i've adopted the duck-lips mouthpiece for its slightly larger conduit but i need to be careful with that one as it breaks easily when twisted. Distance to the flame is nearly 8 inches when using my PVC extension...

:peace:

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
Over the last month I have read just about every post in the Pax, Solo, DV and Pinnacle thread. All the new age portables seem to be brilliant in some areas but have faults that stop me from buying one. I can't send one back coz it will need to be imported. Anyway, disappointed after each thread, and needing a portable I broke out my old VG classic , added a 6 inch length of clear tubing and it's a beast. No it's not that stealth, and yes it doesn't have ultimate taste because it has on occasions combusted. But I can blow clouds effortlessly. Clouds that match my home unit!!! I still hanker for a shiny battery portable but really it's just an itch the VG scratches pretty well.

Rock on VG users.

grokit

well-worn member
The Bronze Sherlock tastes amazing to me , I've never used a glass to compare . Since the wood is only around the ss part and stone you don't taste it . The bottom or body section of my old VG classic smells and tastes a bit after 5 years but if I put the top on another clean bowl its all good .

I got the bronze in and wasn't feeling it, so based on their policy I didn't try it out. The stem was all blue and no purple, and the jujube wood looked nothing like I expected it to based on a google image search. But most of all the bowl actually seemed smaller than the GVB, so I sent it back in exchange for a glass sherlock, which has a much bigger bowl. That was the one I wanted in the first place, the brass was impulsive as they didn't have the blue/purple in for a while and then they did so I gave it a try.

All I have for portable vapes atm is the GVB, but I will be rolling in them soon!

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Just got one but I was wondering does the lighter fluid you use change the taste? I am using a bic 99 cent type lighter, I kinda hate it because the flame likes to heat up my finger, was looking at this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/158830440/candle-lighter-aroma-care-accessories-by to replace it, it seems reasonable for 6 bucks shipped, not sure of the quality. I ordered a thing of King triple filtered lighter fluid so I just need a decent lighter now.

But back to the taste, I have used it a couple times, compared to my Vaporbrothers tabletop and Palm 2.0(Which tastes the best actually) this one taste strange, I can't place if its because of the wooden pipe or the bad lighter fluid possibly but it gives off an odd flavor, I can even taste it if I don't light up and just inhale air from it(Though that might be from the fluid also). Hopefully it goes away or I just stop noticing it. I am such a finicky person....

Last edited:
HillaryClinton,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
The wood does have a taste, it's a natural 'flavour' IMO but it is there. The vapor taste should override it during use I would have thought. But you have butane mixed in so it's never going to taste as sweet as a nice clean home unit. That's the tradeoff with a portable. The electric portables might win the taste test but when their lights go out the VG will rock on with just a 99c BIC :)

vaporcloud,

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Its probably something I will get use to but I was concerned that maybe the so so lighter fluid in the bics made it taste off.

HillaryClinton,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
TBH I have never noticed the butane taste but I'm not picky about the flavour. Any vapor even mixed with a bit of VG wood taste and butane beats the dirt taste of combustion!

vaporcloud,

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
TBH I have never noticed the butane taste but I'm not picky about the flavour. Any vapor even mixed with a bit of VG wood taste and butane beats the dirt taste of combustion!

Oh yeah thats for sure, but I like the least of anything interfering with taste, I do think I taste the butane on top of the wood when vaping. Hopefully my Butane comes soon, ordered it online because apparently the only thing the smoke shops around me like to carry is Zippo fluid. Got 10 ounces of King triple filtered for 8 dollars of Ebay so that seemed alright price wise...just hate the wait :-P.

HillaryClinton,

Pcpvapors

I've used the glass Sherlock vapor genie with a zippo, as well as a bick an never had a taste issue, Light away from bowl and wait 3 seconds then bring it in and start your hit.

Grokit should do a Glass Bat Video my VAS and wallet are almost in agreement...

can anyone with bat experience chime in on bowl size?

Last edited:
Pcpvapors,

vaporcloud

lurking kiwi
I'm using a BIC with my VG and constantly have to remind myself to wait a couple of seconds after flicking the lighter into life.

I'm waiting for my train to leave the station, an hour to my stop where my VG waits.

vaporcloud,
Reactions: SSVUN~YAH

2 Paces

Finally got my glass vapor bat yesterday. It is my first experience with a flame based vape.

I really dig it. I haven't spent much time with it, but it was easy to get huge hits out of it without combusting. I love that I can watch every part of the process through the glass so there isn't any guesswork. Cleaning everything is a breeze. This thing makes me feel very good quickly, and it is great to have a flame option.

Thanks to grokit for the recommendation. :clap: I didn't know this thing existed until he mentioned it in a thread, but it is exactly what I wanted in a flame vape.

grokit

well-worn member
Glad you're enjoying it, 2 Paces!:cheers:

The GVB is still my only portable, I took it out of town to a motel last night. I love that I'm not "smoking" in my room! I am getting the technique down, it seems that a hard draw with good lighter control is the way to go. As long as I'm doing it that way I'm not generating any soot, and as long as I'm not generating any soot I do not taste the lighter. I have not had much luck with the hempwick and the GVB.

I'm legal now:) so I will make a video when I'm properly registered, and I get the sherlock in so I can compare the two bowl sizes.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations VaporCloud,

The wood does have a taste, it's a natural 'flavour' IMO but it is there. The vapor taste should override it during use I would have thought. But you have butane mixed in so it's never going to taste as sweet as a nice clean home unit. That's the tradeoff with a portable. The electric portables might win the taste test but when their lights go out the VG will rock on with just a 99c BIC...

Sorry about this but it seems i must express my disagreement about everything quoted above!

I never ever tasted wood hints, suitable butane burning generates heat + water vapor + carbon dioxyde + trace amounts (< 30 ppm in my case) of butane-related impurities only. My (HA) table sessions used to feel unconveniently dry (quite enough to cause coughing!) while those definitely lacked the taste/aroma "sampler" feature of my "2-stones" modded VG!! Fire provides portable vaporizers a level of power no electric devices can emulate unless using battery-operated magnetic induction (!), euh... Finally, as fas as i'm concerned BIC 'tronics are NOT OKay for regular use (and a pair is required in order to avoid over-heating via swapping anyway, so i prefer a refillable pipe-lighter).

Wind can be an issue but my modding took care of that, can't beat it as a sampler. Excellent "Plan-B" too.

RUDE BOY

Space is the Place
I'm with Egzoset in that my VG classic never tasted like wood , and I only use Bics and will never use a torch . The wood base did take on a smell of AVB and the honey building up and becoming one with the wood after a year or more of Daily 5-10 session use .
Still tastes great but once it gets hot it smells like a stem that needs cleaning But its Five or six years old and seen a bunch of use .
I would honestly say I've gotten much more Then $55 worth of use out of it . The first year alone I saved much more then that in product and rolling papers and it turned me onto vaping as when I bought it there really were no other portables that I could buy in a local Headshop . The only other vapes you could find were the volcano or Vapor Bros . and I still have no use for those .

Last edited:

HillaryClinton

Future ruler of earth
Update, got a new lighter and butane, no more bad taste, great! :-D

This thing is actually easier for me to use then the Palm 2.0 and I get crazy big hits by just holding the lighter to it for 5 seconds, vapes evenly also, great stuff!

I still need to get use to the heat, mainly because there is a tiny bump on my lip from the tip burning a tiny bit lol.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations HillaryClinton,

I still need to get use to the heat...

I didn't/couldn't, in the end i managed to break both of my genuine VG duck-style mouthpieces (while rotating) and i was never really satisfied with those anyway. Instead i'm now relying on a PVC-wrapped/modified HA mouthpiece (for balloons): it protects even in a minimum path configuration (with no tubing at all) - though i always prefer having at least some length of PVC tubing present between this massive heat-isolating mouthpiece setup and my VG Classic wood stem.

Here's my current modded version:

2cestnp.jpg

N. B.: The large greasy yellow section catches most particles while cannabic vapor cools down.

Eye-contact has been of great help to me since the start, perhaps you can attempt to evaluate this training method too! Even the shorter tube shall prove convenient to your lips, IMHO!...

:nod:

I much prefer using a piece of white HA teflon straw for the wood/PVC interface but i recall it's not too difficult to slip a section of 5/16" (I.D.) 7/16" (O.D.) PVC tube directly over the original VG Classic duck-style mouthpiece (once heated in boiling water), euh... Oh, the middle junction, i almost forgot: it's working great for side-lightning where a person may as well happen to be left-handed... That articulated joint of mine provides versatily in shaping which can match a consumer's need better. I suppose i could settle for 1 single, correctly reworked (...) tube but i find the little mechanical joint served me well; a short piece of 3/16" (I.D.) 5/16" (O.D.) PVC tube will do fine by the way.

Now, about what's been changed inside. Well, it could be a pair of "foamy-rocks" created after splitting the original piece in halves, so that some glass heat-deflector can "unfocuss" radiated heat, whatever, within the heat-exchanger. Actually there's also a bit of metallic support but i'd rather not depend on it, ideally, as this may be one reason why i found necessary to adopt a somewhat particular habit: i pre-heat (blue-torch) my sphere with assistance from an HA aquarium pump and secondary VG Classic base-stem, once the front-rock has turned red-hot i finally install my sphere normally, as illustrated above...

The aroma/taste features of my herbs are revealed by this "2-Stones" modded VG Classic pipe in a way that defies most competition i would think. The modded pipe compares so well with my newly acquired Arizer V-Tower table unit it's not too clear if i should modify my signature, to swap Plan-A and Plan-B around!...

So... M'yeah, it's that good!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom