VaporGenie

CheeseSandwich

I macgyvered up a Classic VG top to a very Large Chillium for someone who would only use a chillium , He's used one for 40+ years . He gave me a big Thanks and was telling everyone he knew how Irie it was . Heres hopin' the coil could do the same for your old man .:peace:

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated!

justcametomind

i couldn't with hold my inner impulsive buyer anyway, lol. Ordered 2 from wickiepipe, $73.07 shipped

Best choice you could make. I want to get a spare, clean unit just to throw it in my bag on my next vacation that involves airplanes.
I'm not sure but I believe that person is a Buddhist so in touch with the divine they toke up constantly and cannabis is given to them freely for such rituals. Not so far off as a Rastafarian in that aspect, I believe. I like documentaries and took a world religion course while in college, no search done. Ohh no it is illegal to post without searching. Also illegal to talk about illegal acts, hmmn I better start typing about vaporizers. I might get in trouble now, lol! Vaporizers rule!

That's induism. I hope nobody cares about us talking, I don't want this to be a forum where you have to post like "SWIM's turtle bought a vaporizer" :D

justcametomind,

SSVUN~YAH

You Must Unlearn, What You Have Learned...
Best choice you could make. I want to get a spare, clean unit just to throw it in my bag on my next vacation that involves airplanes.

That's induism. I hope nobody cares about us talking, I don't want this to be a forum where you have to post like "SWIM's turtle bought a vaporizer" :D
Ah Hinduism could very well be mistaken. No matter who, they would agree wise decision on the coil!;)

stickstones

Vapor concierge
cheesesammich...not to be a buzz kill, but I wouldn't give the coil as a gift to someone I wanted to see start vaping. That fucking thing is the only vape in my collection that I simply cannot get to work (unless it is in a bubbler). All the other genies I've tried kick ass, but this one seems to be a little different.

now that I've said that he'll probably hit it up perfectly the first time and call me a pussy!

CheeseSandwich

cheesesammich...not to be a buzz kill, but I wouldn't give the coil as a gift to someone I wanted to see start vaping. That fucking thing is the only vape in my collection that I simply cannot get to work (unless it is in a bubbler). All the other genies I've tried kick ass, but this one seems to be a little different.

now that I've said that he'll probably hit it up perfectly the first time and call me a pussy!

jeez captin buzzkill, lol. I figure i'll give mine a test drive before I do give the old bugger his vg coil. He may just put you to shame... for a 62 year old man, he can/does smoke more than anyone i've come across!

CheeseSandwich,

justcametomind

Can I call you a pussy as well?;))))))))))
In my life I have tried just 5/6 vaporizers including the coil, and I mastered it in a couple of days, and NEVER combusted on it! :-)
My coil advices:
1. just don't overdo with the lighter, wether your lighting technique is good or not stop lighting after 3 sec, and see if you got vapor on exhale;
2. The trick is to get convection working: hot air has to be taken inside. If you inhale slowly is better.
3. Don't know if it works only for be but: your tongue is close to the mouthpiece when vaporizing. So When my Minivap/VG Coil/Lithe are hot and vapor-producing, my tongue get a little dry over such vapor. So when I have that feeling I know I'm getting vapor on the Coil and I stop lighting.
4. I'm sure it's written on the instruction but: keep your flame far from from the stone, only light with the tip of the flame going inside.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Can I call you a pussy as well?
In my life I have tried just 5/6 vaporizer including the coil, and I mastered it in a couple of days, and NEVER combusted on it! :-)
I would actually recommend that you push the limits a little more until you do combust. Once you know where that 'line' is, you'll be better able to push it to the limit without crossing that line.:2c:

:peace:

justcametomind

I hope by that you don't mean I was rude on my earlier post, I tried to embellish it a lil more editing with a couple more smiles. Hope it worked if that's the case. :peace:
I would actually recommend that you push the limits a little more until you do combust. Once you know where that 'line' is, you'll be better able to push it to the limit without crossing that line.:2c:

I was lucky enough to know where the line is, by getting slightly darkened ABV (or I suppose to know). But it's just a week since I have the coil so I can easily combust someday soon

justcametomind,

CheeseSandwich

I hope by that you don't mean I was rude on my earlier post, I tried to embellish it a lil more editing with a couple more smiles. Hope it worked if that's the case. :peace:

I was lucky enough to know where the line is, by getting slightly darkened ABV (or I suppose to!). But it's just a week since I have the coil so I can easily combust someday soon

hahaha, no, i figured it was a joke.

CheeseSandwich,

stickstones

Vapor concierge
Can I call you a pussy as well?;))))))))))

Yes you may! I will give respect where it is due, and you are a better man than me with the coil. I just have a problem with the way the bowl faces away from me...I can't see the flame. It's important for me to see it, and that's why I can get it to work when using the bubbler and looking down into it. When I use it natively I either get nothing or combustion.

BullGod

Hi there, folks!

I have read in another thread, that there seems to be a problem with the ceramic filter of the VaporGenie, that is shrinks and emits particles. I don't know if that is really true and don't want to stir up a discussion about this, but just in case and if it has not been mentioned yet (no, I am not really in the mood to read all 108 pages), I wonder if you could just replace it with a glass filter as shown here:

sinterfilter_06.jpg

Those seem to be used in the "Ver-Glow" vaporizer, which makes it a full glass butan powered vaposizer very similar to the Glass VaporGenie:
Ver-Glow18-3.jpg

Has this been tried or has this idea already been abandoned?

BullGod,
Reactions: Egzoset

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you want one of these, get it now before VG finds out...I think they are in direct violation of their patent (but I'm no lawyer). jambandpham is having great results using one of the HealthStones to vape like a genie.

The patent, as I read it, was specific to three things -- 1) using a flame, 2) with a portable hand-held pipe, 3) with a 'disturbed' air path (this is what the ceramic does). So you could replace that ceramic element with anything similar to create the disturbed air path. The real trick is using something that we know is safe and would not create concerns for the user.

stickstones,

BullGod

I don't see why it wouldn't work. If you want one of these, get it now before VG finds out...I think they are in direct violation of their patent (but I'm no lawyer). jambandpham is having great results using one of the HealthStones to vape like a genie.
I am not planning to buy one of those, since I try to keep the butane out of the system. I just wanted to share this idea, in the case that it's an unknown alternative.
The real trick is using something that we know is safe and would not create concerns for the user.
The glass filters I have shown above are produced for laboratories, so I am assuming they are save, but I can't be sure. It was just a thought, because I wondered, why anyone would use a ceramic filter over a glass one.

BullGod,

OF

I have read in another thread, that there seems to be a problem with the ceramic filter of the VaporGenie, that is shrinks and emits particles. I don't know if that is really true and don't want to stir up a discussion about this, but just in case and if it has not been mentioned yet (no, I am not really in the mood to read all 108 pages), I wonder if you could just replace it with a glass filter as shown here:

Not to worry, it's not really true, just another rumor.

It's not really a ceramic, take a careful look it's a pile of flat Silicon Carbide plates fused together. Silicon Carbide is like the second toughest stuff there is (after diamond), which is why it's used for tool faces. Very tough. Notice any ragged spots or breakdowns? It just doesn't wear or burn away.

IMO it's an excellent material choice for the job, more expensive, but it's superior.

OF

sadf

Hi there, folks!

I have read in another thread, that there seems to be a problem with the ceramic filter of the VaporGenie, that is shrinks and emits particles. I don't know if that is really true

It isn't. It's old news and was debunked long ago.

(no, I am not really in the mood to read all 108 pages)

Well at least you cared enough about our collective well-being to come post a potential competitor in the thread, complete with pictures of the supposed safer and more "pure" product.

As to butane, the air you were breathing as you typed your post had more contaminants in it than clean burning butane exhaust; there has never been a case against using butane in the air path from a safety standpoint.

BullGod

It isn't. It's old news and was debunked long ago.
Good to know.
Well at least you cared enough about our collective well-being to come post a potential competitor in the thread, complete with pictures of the supposed safer and more "pure" product.
I stumbled over these glass filters a while ago and wondered why no one seems to be using those.
As to butane, the air you were breathing as you typed your post had more contaminants in it than clean burning butane exhaust; there has never been a case against using butane in the air path from a safety standpoint.
As far as I have read, there is some concern towards normal BIC-lighters which were recommended for use with the VG and others like the Vaporstar, and towards low quality lighter gas. This is why I try to keep my air path butane-free. Save side etc.

BullGod,

sadf

As far as I have read, there is some concern towards normal BIC-lighters which were recommended for use with the VG and others like the Vaporstar, and towards low quality lighter gas. This is why I try to keep my air path butane-free. Save side etc.

The common concern for normal BIC lighters extends to all flint-fired lighters: When you strike the lighter it gives off flint dust, which is what the little sparks that come off a fresh-lit lighter are. If you wait a second for it to disperse or get a lighter with a piezoelectric ignition there won't be any issue.

sadf,
Reactions: RUDE BOY

BullGod

The common concern for normal BIC lighters extends to all flint-fired lighters: When you strike the lighter it gives off flint dust, which is what the little sparks that come off a fresh-lit lighter are. If you wait a second for it to disperse or get a lighter with a piezoelectric ignition there won't be any issue.
I am aware of that, but I meant impurities in the butane. But now we are heading right off topic.

BullGod,

OF

I stumbled over these glass filters a while ago and wondered why no one seems to be using those.

Because it's inferior to the material VG uses.

First, it's not a filter, it's a heat exchanger or more properly heat homogenizer. By it's very nature you want a metallic element (conducts heat well) not a glass on (insulates well). The idea is to rapidly heat the element though in a uniform manner no matter what the 'hot spots' might be to start with. The plates are set up to move the heat laterally, something a glass or ceramic element can't offer. Even if their response time was more reasonable (which it wouldn't be if you think about it......).

VG is not populated by stupid engineers, they've done their home work.

I suggest you go back and read again. I know it sounds like you're looking for problems where none are to some but I think here you blew past the issue in that quest? The issue is the 'heavy metals' used in the "flint" that makes the spark. Lighting a Bic from a candle, like I used to, solves this issue. Or use an electric spark lighter as recommended. Even low quality gas is pretty darn clean. Most guys can't tell if the CO2 and moisture in the vapor came from the fire or the room, or the vapist on the suck end of it. You and I exhaust about 4% CO2 IIRC, about what the lighter flame does. Water vapor content isn't really that far off either. And the other product of combustion, heat, is a given. We want lots of that.

Think what you wish. By all means do what you feel comfortable doing. But I wouldn't expect much support around here, this is well covered in those 108 pages you don't feel like reading.......

OF

BullGod

Because it's inferior to the material VG uses.
First, it's not a filter, it's a heat exchanger or more properly heat homogenizer. By it's very nature you want a metallic element (conducts heat well) not a glass on (insulates well). The idea is to rapidly heat the element though in a uniform manner no matter what the 'hot spots' might be to start with. The plates are set up to move the heat laterally, something a glass or ceramic element can't offer. Even if their response time was more reasonable (which it wouldn't be if you think about it......).
That makes sense, thanks!

Regarding the rest of your post, I didn't want to imply, that the VG people are stupid, nor am I here to look for nonexistent problems or even to pick a fight. If I made this impression by whatever I posted, I am sorry.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everybody,

I've been evaluating my "2-Stones" 3rd modded version of the classic VG for a while now, maybe it's time for an update so lets start with a correction about VaporGenie's "Ceramic Filters":

As a matter of fact the text refers to "High Purity Monolithic Silicon Carbide", not "Sintered Ceramic" as infered in my previous posts. So, i wish this could have been fixed much earlier, of course!...

106.gif

Anyway, getting the right lighter is Paramount business when one intends to operate this in a satisfying manner (at least because of the way i do it i guess)... In lack of 1 single decent duplex lighter 2 shall be OKay but 3 provides convenient (flame) back-up. It could be settled more appropriately if the ball weren't made of wood IMO (as other materials might work better with torch fire).

Here's my rough approximation of what i presently view as desirable in some startup kit:

2502qgz.jpg

The Bic Tronic is economic and relatively easy to locate it seems, in the top-right corner we find my new Xikar 585Bk Ressource (Vector KGM Gladius clone) which isn't as affordable but has a proper pipe nozzle. Below (in blue) it's a Slick YYG-805 Firebird (Colibri FireBird Ace clone) found at the nearest Canadian Tire store and it happens to come real handy when in need for swift mesh cleanup using a torch; i've also started testing it on some "blend" but having a wooden VG this didn't seem desirable, though it certainly could prove useful outdoors (e.g. more fun to come!)...

:science:

The vaporizer now works in radiant heat-exchanger mode: turn the top "Ceramic Filter" (black "foamy rock") red-hot (~4 seconds), remove fire but continue inhalation (another 4 sec. or so).

Since it's acting like a heat-lense my next eventual modding would change the middle spacer into a defocussing obturator/spacer. A 4-legs star-shaped piece of metal sheet would implement it easily and improve thermalization through additional turbulence occuring at the focus point, of course it would have much thinner legs/arms than illustrated below:

316rjbl.jpg

26.gif

By the way, somewhere i found mention of Xikar's Purofine Premium butane being "A28 Aerosol-Grade" "triple-Filtered" gas but that source stated it was 15 ppm while it says 30 on my bottles. Go figure, it must be a consequence of being Canadian... In any case i'll want to check this information somewhat later, eventually.

Egzoset,
Reactions: satyrday
Top Bottom