Discontinued Vaporfection viVape

OhTheAgony

here for the chicks
You saw clouds? Not to be rude or anything, but what I saw in that video was just a poor excuse for a vaporizer at best. The cause of it was probably mostly user error (I imagine that not that many cloud-chasers would choose 325 as a fav setting), but so far I really don't see what the fuz is all about with this one.

Perhaps I'm just jumping ahead of myself, but with the info at hand atthis moment I'd get myself a DBV+ Herbalaire instead of this Apple-ish looking thing any day for that kind of money.

OhTheAgony,

jeff

Dude. Sarcasm. Thick Sarcasm. Much thicker than those non-existant clouds. I don't have variable temp.So i don't know much about temps but yes I also felt 325 was a tad low. My buddies Cano is set to 380.

jeff,

thecragus

Hey, things have been pretty quiet around here. Any new reviews? Anybody happy/sad they made their purchase? I don't see too many (1) reviews on YouTube....
Just wondering.....

thecragus,

scrog

I received my viVape on Dec 29th 2011 and have been enjoying it ever since.
First of all I did not write a review since I really dont have much to compare it to (only iolite WISPR).
Since I received my viVape, I never use my iolite WISPR unless I am in need of something portable (friends house, outdoors, etc...).

Feel free to ask questions and I will answer them the best I can :peace:

Notes:
  • I typically vape at 200 degrees Celsius (slow build up from 160 or 180 degrees Celsius). In rare cases I can go as high as 215-220 if the material is very fresh.[/*]

Negatives So Far
  • Screen gets clogged fast when using dry material[/*]
  • Bag mode works best with new screen[/*]
  • Loud when cooling down (high pitch)[/*]

scrog,

weedemon

enthusiast
thanks for the quick review man!

with the clogged screen issue. i used to crank my ssv right up and hit it empty this gave good tokes, and it cleans the screen off for me.

weedemon,

scrog

Good tip about putting to high temperature and toking with no material inside. Seems to have mostly cleared a relatively clogged screen. Sweet :D

scrog,

Engineer

:| A review by and Engineer :|

Recommendation: 2 out of 5.

I would like to answer the calling for genuine feedback on the viVape. I've never before written a posting but am compelled to now.. First, the box it came in is nice, and I'm a big fan of technology so I am happy to see vaporizers moving in that direction. The viVape went for an Apple inspired look and has a 2.25" (diagonal) touch-screen; and I give the creators a lot of credit for recognizing the need for a better looking device. However, because I expected a lot from a company that asserts "This changes Everything" but found 1) a pretty box wrapped around the same 'ol technology, and 2) new problems not found in other vaporizers, I am dismally disappointed (oh, and the refund policy is that there isn't one).

PROS
* Better looking than anything else I've seen.
1 Fairly quiet, although the internal blower is always running so when it should be silent there is still a buzzing.
2 Touch screen gives a nice impression, it's like moving to a Blueray player instead of a VCR
3 Glass accessories are durable and look relatively nice
4 The bag has a nice weight and size, and the end clip is novel

CONS
1 The "Actual Temperature" is a false reading (like all the other vapes especially the Arizer), but this one goes way overboard. I had it set for 400F, then went to the Change Temp screen and set it to 90F, and it told me that the Actual Temperature was then immediately at 90F! I don't think so - it cannot be instantly cooled from 400F to an Arizona summer's night. In reverse, I then went from 90F to 400F and again the temperature change was instant... but I could feel the air exiting from the nozzle still heating so I know it was lying. Either the creators think consumers are stupid or they released a product with a really simple software bug.
2 The blower is always running, which means that when I put down the whip between inhalations my herb is still being vaporized and therefore wasted. Even when the device is turned off the fan continues to run to cool it, all the while pushing hot air and vaporizing (wasting!) my unused herb. In the manual it is suggested to remove the bowl between breaths... not user friendly.
3 The herb bowl plugs in horizontally, meaning that the herb falls to the bottom of the bowl. Um.. planet earth has gravity at 9.8m/s^2.. duh. This means that hot air flows over instead of through the herb and therefore heats just the top of the herb and thus does not evenly vaporize. To compensate for this the bowl was made small so the herb packs in, forcing the air through the herb as it should be. Therefore only a little bit of herb can go into the bowl.
4 With about 1/4 Lipton teabag worth of herb in the bowl, there was too much blockage for the little internal fan to efficiently fill up the bag. It took FOUR minutes to fill a single bag.
5 The SIZE... it is way bigger than illustrated in the online pictures. Perhaps at the angle shown at vaporfection.com it has a slender waistband, but in actuality it is thick and bulky.. a lot bigger than illustrated.
6 I have a handful of other subtle, less important dislikes that are more about my personal preference so I won't list them.

KEY FINDINGS
From a first impression Aesthetics standpoint the viVape comes in first place above all other vaporizers.
From a Performance standpoint the viVape is bad - the temperature readout is totally erroneous; it continuously vaporizes my herb whether I want it to or not; and takes a long time to fill a bag.

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Thanks for the thorough review, Engineer. Can you tell us what other vaporizers you have used and could compare this to besides the EQ?

Oh, and welcome to FC! :tup:

:peace:

Stu,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
I agree - thanks Engineer for a very helpful review.

Your findings are consistent with earlier speculation (a few pages back) voiced re the ViVape, before and after communication with Vaporfection. Your concern re the continuous airflow is of note, as this was observed in previous less rigorous reviews. Vaporfection strongly objects to this, er, objection; their answer is that the user simply removes/re-inserts the whip with each hit. The airflow is apparently for cooling.

There was also this FAQ:

Q: How can I maximize the lifetime of my heating element?
A: Its important to always remove the whip from the heating chamber when not in use.

This seems to imply the element is disengaged when the whip is removed. There may be a corollary here to the unit pulling 700w, i.e., needing the power to do a rapid heat-up upon reinsertion of the whip. There was an earlier question re why that much power was required. Did you have any observation in this regard?

Finally, very astute observation about the horizontal bowl placement and size relative to airflow.

oldiebutgoodie,

scrog

Here are my comments on Engineers feedback
------------------------------------------

CONS

1 - You are right. This appears to be a limitation caused by rushing the release of an unfinished product. I dont usually swing more than 5 to 10 degrees celcius and wait about 1 second per degree celcius to make sure the temperature is as expected.

2 - You are right about the vaporizer always running but this allows it to maintain the target temperature (good in my opinion). The downside is this thing is power hungry (700W). Removing the whip in between puffs seems perfectly logical to me for a whip based system.

3 - Once I start to vaporize no material stays horizontally. The material gets vaporized pretty evenly (must stir every few puffs since bottom is farther from heat source). The bowl size could be bigger but I have no issues with that (refill takes seconds).

4 - I dont really use bag mode but if the screen is not well maintained filling bags can take some time. To improve the user experience, I cut a one inch piece from the original silicon tube and use this exclusively with the bag (shorter tube works amazing). Filling a bag for me takes up to 90 seconds when using bag mode (more airflow).

5 - About the size of a removable hard drive (bit thicker). Not an issue for me whatsoever.

Here are my comments on oldiebutgoodie's feedback
--------------------------------------------------------------
- The element is NOT disengaged when the whip is removed and NOT engaged when the whip is inserted. It is always engaged.
700W is probably required due to power efficiency not being the highest priority and project timelines being unrealistic.

scrog,

oldiebutgoodie

scrog said:
- The element is NOT disengaged when the whip is removed and NOT engaged when the whip is inserted. It is always engaged.

OK; thanks. I'm curious though, why is removing the whip important to the life of the element? Perhaps to facilitate the continuous cooling airflow?

oldiebutgoodie,

scrog

oldiebutgoodie said:
scrog said:

OK; thanks. I'm curious though, why is removing the whip important to the life of the element? Perhaps to facilitate the continuous cooling airflow?

Yes, that seems to be the only thing that would make sense.

scrog,

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
Yeah really 700 Watts is as more power than my monster gaming computer consumes under full load. I had originally thought that this was just a novus in a pretty casing with a touchscreen, but the novus did not consume that much power so there is obviously a few changes to the design. I think oldie's right in thinking that there must be some sort of flash heating function to the whip being inserted, there's no other reason for the unit to pull down 700 watts.

Modnote: 7 posts were moved to a new topic here.

CentiZen,

vaporexo

Hey Engineer,

I've been a long-time forum lurker but your post inspired me to officially join! Thanks for posting that review by the way, I know a lot of people have been curious about the viVape. Your post actually pushed me to contact Vaporfection, I hope you don't mind that I conveyed your concerns!

Here's what they said:

CONS
1 The "Actual Temperature" is a false reading (like all the other vapes especially the Arizer), but this one goes way overboard. I had it set for 400F, then went to the Change Temp screen and set it to 90F, and it told me that the Actual Temperature was then immediately at 90F! I don't think so - it cannot be instantly cooled from 400F to an Arizona summer's night. In reverse, I then went from 90F to 400F and again the temperature change was instant... but I could feel the air exiting from the nozzle still heating so I know it was lying. Either the creators think consumers are stupid or they released a product with a really simple software bug.

Response: The Temperature reading has been calibrated to show the actual temperature at the end of the Heating Chamber where the Blue light indicates it has reached the desired temperature. The heating element and the thermal senors are so responsive the temperature is adjusted very quickly ie. instantaneously to seconds depending on the temperature variation selected. It takes 33 seconds for the digital read out on the Set Temp screen to scroll from 400F down to 90F, because there is a continuous ambient/cool air flow, which allows for quicker actual adjustment results. That said the software and the unit were not intended to provide for instantaneous monitoring of this type of unnatural operation, most desired temperature adjustments are 30-50F degree range not the 310F range, however the temperature readout digits should be BLUE until the selected temperature is actually reached, not GREEN, we will look into and correct this software adjustment.

2 The blower is always running, which means that when I put down the whip between inhalations my herb is still being vaporized and therefore wasted. Even when the device is turned off the fan continues to run to cool it, all the while pushing hot air and vaporizing (wasting!) my unused herb. In the manual it is suggested to remove the bowl between breaths... not user friendly.

Response: You are correct the manual does recommend removing the herbal container when not inhaling. In the Wand mode there is a slight inhalation assist making for easy and very effective inhalations, which most of our owners have said they prefer to full manual inhalation, especially for medical applications. So removing the herbal container to enjoy that benefit and user friendly is an individual interpretation.

3 The herb bowl plugs in horizontally, meaning that the herb falls to the bottom of the bowl. Um.. planet earth has gravity at 9.8m/s^2.. duh. This means that hot air flows over instead of through the herb and therefore heats just the top of the herb and thus does not evenly vaporize. To compensate for this the bowl was made small so the herb packs in, forcing the air through the herb as it should be. Therefore only a little bit of herb can go into the bowl.

Response: When the ground herb is vacuumed into the herbal chamber as recommended in the manual, we find it stays quite evenly presented to the heat and the fact that the design of our heating element is suspended in the center of the heating chamber results in an evenly heated air flow through the chamber into the herb so we find there are no hot spots or unevenly heated/vaporized herbs. Also, most of our customers prefer the horizontal "stealthier design" verse an upright tower that allows the hose to kink easier.

4 With about 1/4 Lipton teabag worth of herb in the bowl, there was too much blockage for the little internal fan to efficiently fill up the bag. It took FOUR minutes to fill a single bag.

Response: You may have a defective herbal chamber, where the hole supporting the screen is smaller than the opening on the hose end, we had some of those and we are replacing those at no charge, just let us know your serial # and we'll have it out immediately. It usually takes around 60-90 seconds to fill a bag with a clean screen and a normal amount of herbs while the unit is in the Bag fill mode.

5 The SIZE... it is way bigger than illustrated in the online pictures. Perhaps at the angle shown at vaporfection.com it has a slender waistband, but in actuality it is thick and bulky.. a lot bigger than illustrated.

Response: We purposely put the actual size dimensions on the viVape product page so that there can be no misunderstanding, because on the home page the units do appear quite large.

6 I have a handful of other subtle, less important dislikes that are more about my personal preference so I won't list them.

Response: We'd actually like to hear them so we can determine if you received a defective unit, and address improvements on future Vaporfection products.

Let me know your guys' feedback, thinking about picking one of these up but want to see if maybe your experience is isolated.

vaporexo,

sessnet

Noob Saibot
Holy cow that thing is HUGE!

When I first saw the pictures I thought it would be size of a deck of cards, not a refrigerator!

Must get scratched up pretty quickly...

And that whip must stink to high heaven after a few uses...

sessnet,

oldiebutgoodie

The heating element and the thermal senors are so responsive the temperature is adjusted very quickly ie. instantaneously to seconds depending on the temperature variation selected.

While the context of this question was the variability in the readout, as an aside the response may provide the answer to the 700w question. If the heating element can be adjusted to any significant degree "instantaneously to seconds", that strongly suggests a power surge. It also helps explain the active cooling.

oldiebutgoodie,

Engineer

vaporexo said:
Hey Engineer,

I've been a long-time forum lurker but your post inspired me to officially join! Thanks for posting that review by the way, I know a lot of people have been curious about the viVape. Your post actually pushed me to contact Vaporfection, I hope you don't mind that I conveyed your concerns!
>>> Dear vaporexo, you're response appears transparent and canned. It is not my style to get into a pissing contest, but alas after a few puffs from the viVape I am inspired.

Here's what they said:

CONS

Response: The Temperature reading has been calibrated to show the actual temperature at the end of the Heating Chamber where the Blue light indicates it has reached the desired temperature. The heating element and the thermal senors are so responsive the temperature is adjusted very quickly ie. instantaneously to seconds depending on the temperature variation selected. It takes 33 seconds for the digital read out on the Set Temp screen to scroll from 400F down to 90F, because there is a continuous ambient/cool air flow, which allows for quicker actual adjustment results. That said the software and the unit were not intended to provide for instantaneous monitoring of this type of unnatural operation, most desired temperature adjustments are 30-50F degree range not the 310F range, however the temperature readout digits should be BLUE until the selected temperature is actually reached, not GREEN, we will look into and correct this software adjustment.
>>> To be sure, I hooked up my fast-response thermocouple (http://www.ni.com/usb-thermocouple/) and measured the airflow temperature versus reported "actual temperature." The thermal sensor was inserted through 12" of tube, from the exit, such that the tip of the sensor was at the backside of the screen where the herb sits. The true temperature varies as much as 54F - that is a lot - and is not as reported on the display. Figures don't lie, but liars figure.

Response: You are correct the manual does recommend removing the herbal container when not inhaling. In the Wand mode there is a slight inhalation assist making for easy and very effective inhalations, which most of our owners have said they prefer to full manual inhalation, especially for medical applications. So removing the herbal container to enjoy that benefit and user friendly is an individual interpretation.
>>> Who are these "most of our owners?" This is a new product! Going so far as to say that it actually assists with inhalation in a medical application is absurd, the airflow is not sufficient to assist in expanding a lung... it is just enough to waste the herb.

Response: When the ground herb is vacuumed into the herbal chamber as recommended in the manual, we find it stays quite evenly presented to the heat and the fact that the design of our heating element is suspended in the center of the heating chamber results in an evenly heated air flow through the chamber into the herb so we find there are no hot spots or unevenly heated/vaporized herbs. Also, most of our customers prefer the horizontal "stealthier design" verse an upright tower that allows the hose to kink easier.
>>> Boy, for a nice guy who relayed my issues to the manufacturer, you sure did take precise notes. It almost sounds like you ... are ... the ... manu...fac..tur..er. I will concede that that the horizontal design is more appealing than the vertical design, but the rest of this response is not credible.

Response: You may have a defective herbal chamber, where the hole supporting the screen is smaller than the opening on the hose end, we had some of those and we are replacing those at no charge, just let us know your serial # and we'll have it out immediately. It usually takes around 60-90 seconds to fill a bag with a clean screen and a normal amount of herbs while the unit is in the Bag fill mode.
>>> OK

Response: We purposely put the actual size dimensions on the viVape product page so that there can be no misunderstanding, because on the home page the units do appear quite large.
>>> then why didn't you purposely also SHOW the actual size?

Response: We'd actually like to hear them so we can determine if you received a defective unit, and address improvements on future Vaporfection products.

Let me know your guys' feedback, thinking about picking one of these up but want to see if maybe your experience is isolated.
>>> Yeah, I'm sure you are.

Engineer,

vaporexo

Thanks for the warm welcome, yet another reason why I'll refrain from posting due to responses like yours. I literally copy and pasted the response from the company, trust me when I say I have better things to do than engage you in a virtual pissing contest. Enjoy your viVape.

vaporexo,

oldiebutgoodie

vaporexo said:
Thanks for the warm welcome, yet another reason why I'll refrain from posting due to responses like yours. I literally copy and pasted the response from the company, trust me when I say I have better things to do than engage you in a virtual pissing contest. Enjoy your viVape.

@vaporexo, fwiw I didn't take your post as anything more than just providing back the manufacturer's response. I didn't see any editorial; you were just asking for feedback on the response before deciding to purchase. Matter of fact, I had some correspondence with ViVape which I also shared a few pages back; had a civilized discussion about it with veterans max, IAmKrazy2, et al.

This is a great well-managed forum, a helluva lot of info and assistance from the most experienced vapers anywhere. IMHO the value far outweighs the occasional, er, unwanted, exchange with another member. Let me encourage you to consider that. :)

To your question specifically, in the earlier reviews so far and in our conversation ref'd above, the primary concern raised seem to be the unit's continuous air flow. And there is the continuing question of why so much power is required. The purpose of the airflow is principally cooling, understandable given the heat that 700w will generate. It's true that the airflow has no negative effect on the vapor or material as long as the whip is removed, other than what some would perceive as the inconvenience of having to do so (IMO a fair complaint). From what I could see, it looks like the flow is approximately the same as the Q's Fan 1, and there are some users who use the Q's fan assist to help reduce the whip's drag; that's legit. Of course these are highly subjective factors. Just speaking for myself, I have a hard time justifying the price point with this product. For a third of the cost you can get a Q which is a pretty darned good combination bag/whip machine. At this price point, you can get a Cloud (well, you can pre-order and wait for a Cloud) which IMO is an order of magnitude better product. Or I'd consider an Oracle.

Just my :2c:

oldiebutgoodie,

vaporexo

oldiebutgoodie said:
vaporexo said:

@vaporexo, fwiw I didn't take your post as anything more than just providing back the manufacturer's response. I didn't see any editorial; you were just asking for feedback on the response before deciding to purchase. Matter of fact, I had some correspondence with ViVape which I also shared a few pages back; had a civilized discussion about it with veterans max, IAmKrazy2, et al.

This is a great well-managed forum, a helluva lot of info and assistance from the most experienced vapers anywhere. IMHO the value far outweighs the occasional, er, unwanted, exchange with another member.

Just my :2c:
Hey oldiebutgoodie, I really appreciate your response. This forum is one of, if not the most well-known providing insight into the vaporizing industry. You're right, maybe I'll give it another try.

vaporexo,

oldiebutgoodie

vaporexo said:
Hey oldiebutgoodie, I really appreciate your response. This forum is one of, if not the most well-known providing insight into the vaporizing industry. You're right, maybe I'll give it another try.

Please do. :) And note that when you were replying I was editing in a response to your feedback request, see above.

oldiebutgoodie,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
When I use my Extreme with assist I turn it on for a few seconds, then back off. I finish the hit, and repeat.

I personally dont like constant forced air, and like to finish my hit without non stop vapor spewing out of the damn whip.... Is that how this thing runs? I like to use my lungs to finish the hit, Seems just crazy to not have an on and off switch on the fan, if that is what is being said.

How do you preheat?

IAmKrazy2,
Top Bottom