Discontinued Vaporfection viVape

RobbyGhb

A friend of mine was going to purchase a Volcano until i showed him this vape. He received it today, replacing his EQ. I will try and write up a review for it tomorrow when i test it myself. His main reason for buying it was purely aesthetic imo. He said "it looks like something apple would make"

RobbyGhb,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
IAmKrazy2 said:
When I use my Extreme with assist I turn it on for a few seconds, then back off. I finish the hit, and repeat.

I personally dont like constant forced air, and like to finish my hit without non stop vapor spewing out of the damn whip.... Is that how this thing runs? I like to use my lungs to finish the hit, Seems just crazy to not have an on and off switch on the fan, if that is what is being said.

How do you preheat?

I do very similar with my Q. And the question about preheat is a very good one, I'd not thought about that. Maybe this provides a clue, from ViVape's response: "The heating element and the thermal senors are so responsive the temperature is adjusted very quickly ie. instantaneously to seconds depending on the temperature variation selected." Supposedly the unit is 700w. With all that power it could deliver very high heat very fast. Presumably the forced air heats up very quickly, you attach the whip, and it's immediately exposed to the vaporizing temp air. This design does not thrill me. Especially for the price.

oldiebutgoodie,

oldiebutgoodie

RobbyGhb said:
A friend of mine was going to purchase a Volcano until i showed him this vape. He received it today, replacing his EQ. I will try and write up a review for it tomorrow when i test it myself. His main reason for buying it was purely aesthetic imo. He said "it looks like something apple would make"

The "apple look" seems to be its marketing hook. Everyone's been particularly interested in the continuous flow operation, the removing/re-inserting of the whip, pre-heat, and why so much power. Be great if you could provide some more insights . . .

oldiebutgoodie,

Engineer

Now you see why Engineers have no friends :/

About 700W and heat.. Watts are a measurement of energy, not heat. Let us look at a practical example. My Magic Flight portable vaporizer achieves 350F in 5 seconds with the power of an A sized battery. The viVape achieves 350F in about two minutes. The Magic Flight vaporizer uses about one Watt to accomplish the same heat in 5 seconds as the viVape does with 700 Watts in 2 minutes. Hmphf!? What's going on here?

Watts do not necessarily translate to heating time or the ability to maintain temperature.

My guess as to why the unit uses 700W.. bad engineering choice. It happens all the time, where inexperienced engineers assume more power equates to more everything. False. You know this, think about your home oven which is more than 700W and takes even longer to heat up.

As for the continuous flow question.. I must admit I'm baffled by this. Again, because 350F is 350F is 350F, which has nothing to do with the Watts. Why does the viVape require continuous airflow but the Arizer or Silver Surfer and other vaporizers at 350F don't? Hmphf!? My best guess is that the viVape has inadequate internal cooling and would otherwise overheat. It is the first closed body design, and they couldn't figure out how to keep everything - including the electronics - from overheating, so it has to keep pushing out the hot air. Consumer electronics cannot exceed 85C (185F), yet they are co-located with a heater that gets up to 450F! Not an easy problem to solve!! They are definitely not concerned about the heating element overheating (it is designed to be hot), they are concerned about everything else.

Engineer,
Reactions: Pappy

oldiebutgoodie

Engineer said:
Now you see why Engineers have no friends :/

Speak for yourself.

About 700W and heat.. Watts are a measurement of energy, not heat.

I never said it was a measurement of heat. Of course it's a measurement of energy (joules). I was just trying to keep it simple, i.e., with more power thermal conversion rises. It doesn't necessarily follow that all that energy is being directed into the element. Nor for that matter that just because the unit can pull 700w, that it actually is (although one would have to wonder then, what's the point?).

My best guess is that the viVape has inadequate internal cooling and would otherwise overheat. It is the first closed body design, and they couldn't figure out how to keep everything - including the electronics - from overheating, so it has to keep pushing out the hot air. Consumer electronics cannot exceed 85C (185F), yet they are co-located with a heater that gets up to 450F! Not an easy problem to solve!! They are definitely not concerned about the heating element overheating (it is designed to be hot), they are concerned about everything else.

I agree; baffling. While the unit being closed certainly is a factor, I still don't get it. My Q's element has ~.5" clearance to a passive insulated aluminum shell (at its widest, ~1" thick) which, while getting warm, never gets really hot. That design does allow for dissipation/absorption away from the internals. But it seems like the unit is just not throwing off a great deal of heat in the first place. That's why I came back to the power, i.e., what the heck is all that being used for; certainly can't be for just the added touchscreen and controller electronics. Is it throwing off a lot more heat? The continuous airflow at least implies that it may be, although again, what for? Gonna be interesting to see how this product holds up over time. And as far as the engineering that went into the product, take a look a few pages back at what the manufacturer told me on this specific point; you'll find that interesting.

oldiebutgoodie,

Engineer

oldiebutgoodie said:
take a look a few pages back at what the manufacturer told me on this specific point; you'll find that interesting.

Clearly you are a thorough individual. How did I get sucked into this forum... hee hee... I dig it. Looking back a few pages I found good insight, and I think that from the 30K view our opinions do not differ by much. I apologize for my brazenness out of the gate.

Engineer,

oldiebutgoodie

Engineer said:
oldiebutgoodie said:
take a look a few pages back at what the manufacturer told me on this specific point; you'll find that interesting.

Clearly you are a thorough individual. How did I get sucked into this forum... hee hee... I dig it. Looking back a few pages I found good insight, and I think that from the 30K view our opinions do not differ by much. I apologize for my brazenness out of the gate.

Accepted. :)

By the way, after glancing back at my ref'd prev posts, I think I omitted one particular specific from the manufacturer's response that I thought you, as an engineer, would find interesting as I did: Seven engineers developed the ViVape, coming from Motorola, NASA, etc.

Now, be careful. I know what your reaction to that will be. My feeling was that it was best left with "No comment"; I'm sure you know why. ;)

oldiebutgoodie,

Vapinghole

Low-Temp Hempist / JedHI Master
Thanks, all, for your thorough comments on the viVape. I'm new to the forum. I'm a longtime user but new to vaporizing (started two weeks ago with an Iolite purchase after using a friend's). Since I'm an avid trail runner/endurance athlete, I'm turned on by the benefits of vaping (and the taste can't be beat), and though the Iolite isn't the greatest, it delivered my first killer vaping sesh and inspired me to convert fully. F*ck combustion indeed!

So, I started searching for a top-notch home vaporizer. It came down to either the high-end volcano or the viVape. After much research, including this thread, I bought the viVape. It arrives Wed and I'll post comments from a vaping newb.

Cheers!!

Vapinghole,

oldiebutgoodie

Vapinghole said:
Thanks, all, for your thorough comments on the viVape. I'm new to the forum. I'm a longtime user but new to vaporizing (started two weeks ago with an Iolite purchase after using a friend's). Since I'm an avid trail runner/endurance athlete, I'm turned on by the benefits of vaping (and the taste can't be beat), and though the Iolite isn't the greatest, it delivered my first killer vaping sesh and inspired me to convert fully. F*ck combustion indeed!

So, I started searching for a top-notch home vaporizer. It came down to either the high-end volcano or the viVape. After much research, including this thread, I bought the viVape. It arrives Wed and I'll post comments from a vaping newb.

Cheers!!

Welcome! And . . . we're always interested in reviews. :)

oldiebutgoodie,

Vapinghole

Alright, folks--got my viVape (white), and I've had two sessions. I'm going to offer comments. But as I've noted previously, I'm spankin' brand new to vaping, and I've only experienced an Iolite until today. Keep this in mind if you care to read further. I've read this entire thread, so I'm aware some experienced folks aren't too keen on the device. My knowledge doesn't even come close, but I know what I like.

In short - I love it! Easy to use, and I love the fast heating time. My wife was totally impressed--she was afraid it would be too complicated. I get nice, thick vapor hits that are quite tasty (need to find my optimal temp, though). Having been solely a bong user when I was combusting (past tense--fuck combustion now), I'm VERY satisfied with the entire experience (it gives me a ritualistic feeling I haven't experienced in a while). I've ordered an Aquavape so I can incorporate water as well.

The unit feels sturdy enough for me. Plus I'm borderline OCD when it comes to caring for shit like this, so I'm optimistic it will last. I don't know any more about the inner workings than what I've read on this forum and the company's website, but it operated like a champ right out of the gate. It's quiet (to me, that is), and I need to be somewhat discreet when vaping in my house. I prefer the wand over the bag options, but it's wicked-cool that I can choose.

I had a nice, long chat with one of their reps. After that and given the videos I saw and other reviews elsewhere including this forum, I took a chance and I'm glad I did (so far). It was either the viVape, an Extreme Q, or a Volcano (yes, I've read on here how badass a Volcano is).

With that in mind, I'm definitely not stopping with the viVape. I've pre-ordered the VXC (congrats to them for their launch!), and I connected with Alan to get on his list for an HI setup. I'm also strongly considering an LSV. I'm looking for my ultimate vape experience--perhaps that will be from a single vaporizer, but it's more likely that I'll most enjoy having a variety of vaporizers to choose from depending on my mood/situation. I plan to post in "Ask FC" to solicit suggestions and information (I could really use a vape "mentor," if anyone is interested).

I'm happy to answer any questions or take suggested steps using the viVape and report feedback. I've gotten a lot out of you guys via your posts and am happy to contribute in any way.

Cheers, and Happy Vaping! (Time for another sesh!)

Vapinghole,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
Officially welcome to the forum vapinghole and thanks for your feedback.

with any vape, start low in temp and work your way up to where you like it. be sure to used dry herb that is grind-ed to expose surface are for best results with most vapes. Good luck.

IAmKrazy2,

Vapinghole

IAmKrazy2 said:
Officially welcome to the forum vapinghole and thanks for your feedback.

with any vape, start low in temp and work your way up to where you like it. be sure to used dry herb that is grind-ed to expose surface are for best results with most vapes. Good luck.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice--duly noted and I'll put into practice right now! I purchased a nice grinder when I got the Iolite and love it (grinding herb is awesome).

Vapinghole,

Stu

Maconheiro
Staff member
Good luck with your new toy, Vapinghole! I hope you continue to post your thoughts as they are very welcome here.

It seems you may have already been infected with a slight case of vape aquisition syndrome (commonly referred to as VAS). Don't worry, it's not fatal. Unless your wife opens your mail, of course. :lol:

:peace:

Stu,

Vapinghole

Thanks, Stu! I just enjoyed my new toy a minute ago. :brow:

I noticed a very slight taste from what I think is the hose (tubing) at first, but it seems to be lessening as I use it more. I'm not sure if this is common among new whip hoses, but if it remains I may seek an alternative.

Yes, I'm suffering from severe VAS. The dangerous part is that my wife is on board, given the clear health benefits, so this could be dangerous for my bank account. But if I no longer combust (I don't smoke cigs), then it's worth it.

Cheers!

Vapinghole,

oldiebutgoodie

Vapinghole said:
Thanks, Stu! I just enjoyed my new toy a minute ago. :brow:

I noticed a very slight taste from what I think is the hose (tubing) at first, but it seems to be lessening as I use it more. I'm not sure if this is common among new whip hoses, but if it remains I may seek an alternative.

Yes, I'm suffering from severe VAS. The dangerous part is that my wife is on board, given the clear health benefits, so this could be dangerous for my bank account. But if I no longer combust (I don't smoke cigs), then it's worth it.

Cheers!

I strongly suggest exercising caution, because there is a serious complication of VAS, commonly known as GAS, i.e., "glass acquisition syndrome". It can make your bank account fart itself empty.

Re the tubing: Is it silicone? I heard of taste from pvc, but not medical grade silicone.

The advice re starting at lower temps is excellent. Many, perhaps even most, who come from combustion are inclined to start from the higher temps because the hotter you go, the closer you are to the effects that you've been accustomed to. At the lower temps you discover the clean pure THC effect. IMO that's something you want to have for the contrast. As you move through the temp range, more canniboids come into play and the experience changes (there are several excellent threads here that discuss that). Many vape at more than one temperature, depending on what they are wanting to do (e.g., go out for a run vs relax in for the evening).

Finally, since you're already on the path of going broke and so want to make every purchase count, IMHO I'd wait on the LSV until you've tried the Cloud. There was some comparison discussion on the Cloud thread just this past week. I think you might find the LSV redundant once you have a Cloud. My :2c:

Welcome to the forum for vaporizing!

oldiebutgoodie,

max

Out to lunch
Vapinghole said:
I'm also strongly considering an LSV.

oldiebutgoodie said:
Finally, since you're already on the path of going broke and so want to make every purchase count, IMHO I'd wait on the LSV until you've tried the Cloud.
Considering what you have and are committing to (HI) (Cloud), this advice is good IMO. Unless you have the $ to spend, you should be good until your Cloud arrives. When it does, I'd say your LSV is going to collect dust, if you have one. OTOH, the viVape, being a dual mode vape, along with the HI, could have an active role in your vaping experience.

max,

Vapinghole

Thanks, all, for taking time to respond. Good advice on the LSV--I may hold off. I'm like a kid in a candy store, so it's hard to hold back.

I dig the advice about lower temps. OBG points out something I'm guilty of -- higher temps to mimic the feeling I'm used to with combustion. I'll go for the pure THC feeling, and I'll keep futzing with the temp until I get it. Said futzing is easy with the viVape, though I understand there are readout accuracy questions and each vaporizer is different.

I'm obsessed with this forum. Must. Get. Back. To. Work.

Thanks again, guys!

Edit: I'm totally getting an MFLB though--that's way too cool.

Oh, OBG - it's silicone tubing, and the taste is no longer there. All good for now.

Vapinghole,

Vapinghole

All - the lower temp advice is vaptastic! I very much enjoy the impact relative to higher temp--different for sure. I'm at about 330 F on the viVape (versus starting at 350), and it produces a wonderful taste, nice clouds, and ABV that's the brown color many folks speak of as indicating a good vape. Many large pulls out of one fill. What fun this is to experiment!!

I can't believe it's taken me so long to learn about vaporizing. I knew of it, of course, but never got into it. What an idiot I am (was, rather--I see the light now).

Vapinghole,

oldiebutgoodie

Vapinghole said:
All - the lower temp advice is vaptastic! I very much enjoy the impact relative to higher temp--different for sure. I'm at about 330 F on the viVape (versus starting at 350), and it produces a wonderful taste, nice clouds, and ABV that's the brown color many folks speak of as indicating a good vape. Many large pulls out of one fill. What fun this is to experiment!!

Yes it is a journey of experimentation, and a fun one at that. You might check out the following threads, very useful info re the various compounds, their effects, and the temperatures at which they are introduced.

Also, an important consideration about actual vaporization temps vs what a vape unit displays: There will virtually always be a variance, the question is how much and where on the scale that is. The first reason is due to the placement of the heat sensor in the unit, assuming an accurate sensor in the first place. The design of the vape can dictate how close to the herb the sensor can be. Sometimes the sensor is placed closer to the heating element, but there is travel in the air path and heat dissipates quickly so the air going into the herb will not be as hot. We've seen manufacturers move the sensor and/or make software adjustments to the read-out in an attempt to arrive at the actual vaping temperature at the herb. Besides all that, the temperature drops substantially as the air passes through the herb and gas conversion takes place. So for example in one test with the Volcano, the temp exiting the chamber was >100F cooler than at entry. This is why stirring is important. It is also why higher temps not only convert canniboids that have a higher boiling point, but also convert more of the load altogether, and hence are doubly more potent. And then there are other variables such as how dry the material is and size of load.

Anyway, take a look here . . .

http://fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4369
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?id=4135
http://www.fuckcombustion.com/viewtopic.php?pid=58958

oldiebutgoodie,
I've been reading this thread while i waited for my vivape to come in the mail and was a little bit discouraged on what the unit may be like. Having sold my SSV to buy the vivape i was hoping it would be as good if not better than the surfer (which is a sweet unit). So after a long wait it finally came and my friend and i test drove it. So far it is amazing! It looks nice as most people have concluded, but the heat up cool down times are quick and the high was great! It was my first time using a balloon so i couldn't say if it trumps the Volcano or not, but i no longer miss my surfer. I've only had one session so far but I am quite smitten. I'm not sure if i can think of anything else to report on the unit, but would be happy to answer any questions for anyone looking to buy one. So far the only complaint i have is that the "extras" they sent with it are kind of cheap. The poker for example is cheap plastic and I can see the being broken, and in comparison to the surfers metal and glass poker/stir stick it doesn't stand up. Thats the only complaint so far though, no big deal, an ebay transaction away from correcting that. Ill keep you all posted, if anyone is interested.

RideTheBarrelSoPitted,

weedandbombs

Vape Queen! :D
Hey all, I did a review for this... and although I agree on the force air part - I have only been using this with the bag so I haven't been "losing meds" - I make sure to close the valve off and remove the whip from the vape as soon as i'm done filling the bag.

For what it is, I do like it, though. My review is here:
http://vimeo.com/37037774

weedandbombs,

IAmKrazy2

Darth Vapor
weedandbombs said:
Hey all, I did a review for this... and although I agree on the force air part - I have only been using this with the bag so I haven't been "losing meds" - I make sure to close the valve off and remove the whip from the vape as soon as i'm done filling the bag.

Hey Linda, glad to see you on here.

IAmKrazy2,

weedandbombs

Vape Queen! :D
IAmKrazy2 said:
weedandbombs said:

Hey Linda, glad to see you on here.

Glad to be here :) Hope to learn a bit more than I already know and see what other vapes people are looking into so I can get some more reviews up :)

weedandbombs,

Vapinghole

weedandbombs said:

Thanks for your review. I really dig my viVape so far. I've been using it heavily (whip only) for almost a couple weeks now. I have no complaints, apart from the whip/wand becoming smelly (but I just need to clean them). I'm still new to vaporizing, but in my short time as a vaporist I've done quite a bit of research on various vaporizers. I'm still glad I chose to purchase the viVape over the Volcano. And I agree--for what it is, I like it quite a lot.

Cheers!

Vapinghole,
Top Bottom