Discontinued Thermovape Cera (Original thread, closed because of chaos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheerful Dub

Spaced Station
Just a very short while ago I invested ~$300 in the first generation product line focused on essential oils. If you were originally looking for flower oriented usage things would be less than so relatively spectacular, but near as I can tell that's always been the name of the game given the requirements at hand in a portable flower based vaporization context: high and fast rate of power consumption, more draw time, packing/unpacking, general stress level, etc.

The industry, hobby, craft and cultural framework is in a constant state of evolution and not long ago this level of freedom and access was effectively a science fiction dream. For me personally the first gen line focused on concentrates made it reality, and this is after an initial experience with inferior rebranded chinese ecigarettes and all that entails. If you are looking to be upset with an unscrupulous, predatory and fly-by-night manufacturer there are many legitimate entities towards which to direct your rage, that's both a fact and my opinion.

I suffered a relatively immediate failure on my first core and instead of feeling scorned and desiring a refund, decided to reinvest in a new core + shipping at retail cost while pursuing their advertised rebuild service. They were good on their end of the deal and now I have a great "legacy" product line with two functioning rev cores, an alternate ava core for liquids, batteries and holsters, etc and could not be happier.

It is evident that they have such faith in their work as to completely re-engineer their core product platform in every aspect while retaining the same singular vision. Although this remains to be witnessed and testified to by end users, I am not feeling "burned" by the quick turnaround of new developments. I also feel as though they have done well to simultaneously overhaul their product presentation structure, which was a much requested user experience upgrade. It remains to be seen with all the various listings if it stays as clean, but relative to the old offerings this is clearly a synchronized shift in the "right", or at least much requested direction.

If anything I feel the Cera lineup is an opportunity to invest in new equipment, something that TET earned the right to pursue based on their previous commitment to quality operations and subsequently well earned success. After experiencing it first hand as a consumer, I wish to continue this cycle of support and see no reason to feel otherwise.

Appreciate the new photos and breakdown discussion, any new information is really quite enticing and as many others in this thread, I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to throw down on a preorder :nod:

I think you guys are right on the money with that flashlight attachment, misdirection and obfuscation is the name of the stealth game near as I can tell. The heater cores with the black mouthpieces from the first generation lineup look like little bats/one hitters isolated in their tubes which I do not like, and the whole assembly with a T1 looks like a sonic screwdriver of sorts, and we all know unique and identifiable is not preferable when undesired scrutiny is to be avoided. Personal massage concerns aside, which I find slightly juvenile and irrelevant, I feel as though the new form factor and breakdown lends itself to better concealment opportunities.

OF

so from this pic, i am gonna infer that the base of the "bowl" area has metal threading and that this threading is 510, just like the rest of TV products. that said, hopefully it will be modular with previous units. my worry is that they are using a 18650, which i know won't fit into a normal TV unit. hmmmm

I've been thinking a bit on this, I think the threads are a bit different. The OD looks bigger to me (might even be a little longer) but more importantly the end contact is 'wrong'. It sticks out much further and is round on the end it seems.

Looking at the 'down the throat' shot:
kj2kl.jpg

it looks to me like the socket end is larger but more important doesn't have a bottom. That is it looks to me like there's a part of the switch going vertically that makes contact with the center pin?

I think you're right about the new unit using a 18650 (we sure asked enough for that....) but my thinking is an adapter that's 510 on one and (to mate with the existing TV stuff as well as others) and 'looks like a new style switch' on the other will make the new bowl happy with the old supply? Likewise, a similar but 'other way around' adapter could allow you to use your existing TV stuff (the LV versions....) as well as other standard 510 thread carts on Cera?

OF

CentiZen

Evil Genius in Training
Accessory Maker
As much as I am excited about these Cera in general, I'm REALLY interested in getting to see the batteries that TET is touting. Perhaps they've found a source for those new 4000mah Panasonic's or something.

darkrom

Great Scott!
Making DR happy is a commendable goal, but might not be possible even still........

OF

IDK about that assuming I'm DR :tup: I am easy to make HAPPY. The T1 makes me HAPPY, but completely satisfied with no desire to mod/improve... your right that will NEVER happen.

That being said with the 18650 I expect to be quite happy with the Cera. Lets pretend the ONLY thing it does better is get lets call it even three bowls per battery, I'd be thrilled. I've got 1 18650 sitting here at home, presumably one coming with the Cera, thats "close to" 100 hits and fits easily in the pocket. I may be picky and have a tolerance, but 100 hits is quite a lot.

I am glad to support this company when their products appear useful to me. I view this as an all around upgrade on paper, and have NO doubt it'll perform in real testing as well.

As for measuring this things capacity, I personally am in favor of the non-scientific method on this one at first. I'd rather just compare impressions and "number of bowls" which are all subjective. How big of a bowl? What material? The point is we have our own numbers and sizes in our head when we think of this stuff. My plan is to see how many "thermovape bowls" I'll get out of it without changing the battery. The only thing I personally will be able to compare it to is how I myself used the T1.

No matter how you look at it this device is an upgrade, and for me pushing 3 bowls per battery + is FANTASTIC. I know I'm after the endless battery (like the rest of the world) but I can appreciate how impressive an estimated 66% more bowlage per battery swap is.

SameOldTim

Previously Known as 'ThermoCoreTim'
Manufacturer
Finally made it back!

Looks like everyone has been making speculations, its quite fun to read through all them, and some great ideas too!

To start off we are still deciding our last few options for the base kit and the final price is what will be posted on the New website. (New site should be up soon) Once we get everything nailed down we are going to start the pre-sale, details of that will come.

We made the bowl approximately 20% smaller, this was due to the large number of suggestions by all of you our customers. We took a tremendous amount of your suggestions and addressed them to improve on the Cera, nearly everything about her is due to the suggestions of our loyal FC followers!

We plan to have an AC adapter in the future, although there really isn't much need for one with the battery life being so good. Once we get them to OF and the rest of our beta testers you'll be surprised how long they go between charges.

The bottom of the device has a latching switch which has an optional illuminated feature, The secondary switch/safety is a sliding purely mechanical switch. Both switches give you the ability to turn on and leave on the heating element.

I hope that give you all some more to think about, i'm going to try to shoot a video today when i have time. But no promises... ;) Ill try to keep you updated.

Cheers,
Tim

Vape N Bake

Disturbed
Finally made it back!

The bottom of the device has a latching switch which has an optional illuminated feature, The secondary switch/safety is a sliding purely mechanical switch. Both switches give you the ability to turn on and leave on the heating element.

I hope that give you all some more to think about, i'm going to try to shoot a video today when i have time. But no promises... ;) Ill try to keep you updated.

Cheers,
Tim
If you can leave the switch on the entire session than this might be what my wife has been asking for.
Tim, don't make us wait to long for that video. I don't like a tease!

OF

Once we get them to OF and the rest of our beta testers you'll be surprised how long they go between charges.

Now that's the part I'm looking for, 'send me in, coach, I'm ready to play'. For those of you taking notes, consider what it means for TV to openly say I'm going to Beta test. Very public. Folks here will know just how to press for details and will be expecting straight poop. If they lay an egg, everyone will know it right then. IMO this is a huge commitment on their part and demonstrates extreme confidence in their design and Prototype testing.

Bummer... I quite liked the size of the T1 flower chamber.

Yeah, I kinda liked it too, but it was 'just right' only sometimes. There are times I wish it was a little bigger still. Other times I'd intentionally underfill. Then again, two bowls shouldn't kill the deal any more than a second trench is sometimes the call with MFLB. It can't be 'perfect' for all users, or even a single user all the time perhaps?

If it does turn out to be such that a little bigger would be much better it seems to me that a different mold for the mouthpiece and/or cover might make that happen???

OF

darkrom

Great Scott!
Tim if its true just a deeper mouthpiece could be made you should sell a "fat boy" mouth piece for some more herb capacity. Though I'm sure then we'd be crying about uneven loads.

I'll get the new one in hand before I start modding away.

marduk

daydreamer
How long will the beta test period be? And will there be a True Flow accessory to add moisture or is that option history?

Dreamerr

Always in a state of confusion and silliness♀
Tim if its true just a deeper mouthpiece could be made you should sell a "fat boy" mouth piece for some more herb capacity. Though I'm sure then we'd be crying about uneven loads.

This is why I read this thread. You don't even have it in your hands and you are talking about modding it. I can't wait cause that is my favorite part to read. It always puts a smile on my face.:)

That would be interesting to have different tops for different bowl sizes.

Dreamerr,
Reactions: OF

tepictoton

oeps,
just realised one of the biggest downfall of knowing this forum is the long waithing period for new products...;)but it does help to make informed decissions about what you are going to buy...
hope the video and more info will pop up soon:popcorn:

OF

Brother DR I do believe you've correctly summed up the nature of our fellows, 'if it's not one thing it's another' kinda stuff. Makes it fun, really. OTOH trying to be all things to all people is exactly what destroyed my love life......

To be both Frank and Earnest for a moment (since neither of them seems to post much any more....) it's not your hacking away on the new stuff that's got us concerned, it's where you might happen to drop some key bit.....

OF

Haywood

Onward Thru the Fog
More Oh Boy!

Here's a picture of the bottom of the device. Not quite the best angle to see the functionality, but I haven't seen it posted here yet:

Project_Cera-249_large.jpeg

btw, stainless steel scratches, titanium (mostly) doesn't. Titanium can also be anodized into a whole rainbow of gorgeous colors...

Been looking some more at the available pictures, and I've been trying to figure out the science (reason) behind the airflow and multiple sets of four. The top of the bowl has four 90° notches. The mouthpiece has four holes at 90° around the bottom edge of the UFO. There are four air holes, at 90°, times two, around the top of the battery holder. There are four air holes, times two, around the base of the heater. Wonder if rotational phase between the parts makes a difference in the vapor flow.

More nonsense to think about. Ceramic cools down really really fast, compared to metal, as I recall. Might be that by the time you finish the last hit of a load, exhale, smile, and remove the cap assembly over the bowl, that it (the bowl) will already be cool enough to handle. Or not. :) Wonder if mindlessly tapping the edge of the core on an ashtray (to knock out the ABV) will wind up in lots of cracked/broken bowls. Or not.

Hmm one O-Ring around the core would provide all the grip and airtightness needed, I guess there are two so there's no lateral wobble in the cover/mouthpiece. Would fix one of my bitches about a lot of the gen 1 mouthpieces (they wobble).

Hey Tim, tell us a little about the Cera for concentrates. Is it just a core/bowl replacement? (This piece):

Project_Cera-275_large.jpeg

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
btw, stainless steel scratches, titanium (mostly) doesn't. Titanium can also be anodized into a whole rainbow of gorgeous colors...

Hey Tim, tell us a little about the Cera for concentrates. Is it just a core/bowl replacement? (This piece):

Project_Cera-275_large.jpeg
as an oil man (gee, that sounds weird, kinda like, as a texan, anyway) i am definitely interested in this part. what is to stop it from leaking down those holes? is heat and air supposed to be enough to keep those pathways clear. would love a forest green or tardis blue anondized end!

Hippie Dickie

The Herbal Cube
Manufacturer
it has got to be incredibly expense to prototype a custom ceramic design, with iterations to get it right ... maybe a 3-d printer helps with making molds? ... it really does look nice.

OF

Been looking some more at the available pictures, and I've been trying to figure out the science (reason) behind the airflow and multiple sets of four. The top of the bowl has four 90° notches. The mouthpiece has four holes at 90° around the bottom edge of the UFO. There are four air holes, at 90°, times two, around the top of the battery holder. There are four air holes, times two, around the base of the heater. Wonder if rotational phase between the parts makes a difference in the vapor flow.

Hmm one O-Ring around the core would provide all the grip and airtightness needed, I guess there are two so there's no lateral wobble in the cover/mouthpiece. Would fix one of my bitches about a lot of the gen 1 mouthpieces (they wobble).

Good points. My take is the alignment is not important, much like the path in the T1 where the vent holes don't line up directly. I think that's the reason for the extra holes where you can't see 'em.

If it made a difference, I'd expect it to be keyed somehow so it didn't change?

My take on the two rings is the lower one seals the core into the body like the current one does in T1. The upper one retains the cover (taking the place of the threads) and the third one seals the MP to the cover. Wobble might be possible, but I tend to think not.

Just guesses, of course....

Just you wait and see where this vape ends up OF!

Sometimes you scare me a bit, Bro, but you never fail to amuse me. Your attitude and dogged dedication are most commendable.....even if your aim is sometimes a bit off.

as an oil man (gee, that sounds weird, kinda like, as a texan, anyway) i am definitely interested in this part. what is to stop it from leaking down those holes? is heat and air supposed to be enough to keep those pathways clear. would love a forest green or tardis blue anondized end!

Bob, sometimes you too need watching....that the HERB bowl....but you knew that.....

I recall some loose talk that makes me think the replacement for that piece (that will convert it to oils) uses a vertical heater with a bigger cylinder around it that Revolution/DART has now. Perhaps with a top plate? The idea is larger storage volume and getting more material spaced a uniform distance from a physically larger heater so more oil reaches the magic temperature at the same time. IMO all good ideas. Now, if that only happens......

it has got to be incredibly expense to prototype a custom ceramic design, with iterations to get it right ... maybe a 3-d printer helps with making molds? ... it really does look nice.

Boy you said a mouth full there HD. It's like freezing your code for a release for a large production run. Only more expensive and less subject to patches.

IMO if any of the vape makers are in a position to pull this cutting edge rabbit out of their hat, TV is them. Their prior design speaks well of their practices and their dedication to serious material science are the keys here I think. That and undersding their market (fairly common IMO) and having a sound business model (sadly not all that common) of course.

OF

Bart

I'm just glad OF and DR live on opposite sides of the country. After all the personal massage comments I really don't want to know where the cera could end up. Lol
You guys are hilarious.
I for one can't wait to get my add to cart button fired up.
And since I'm a huge fan of big battery ecigs I don't think the size makes it any less discrete than any other vaporizer out there.
I've often pocketed a Provari and pulled out my t1 without raising an eyebrow from anyone around me. Trying to hide it makes you more obvious in my opinion.

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
Bob, sometimes you too need watching....that the HERB bowl....but you knew that.....

I recall some loose talk that makes me think the replacement for that piece (that will convert it to oils) uses a vertical heater with a bigger cylinder around it that Revolution/DART has now. Perhaps with a top plate? The idea is larger storage volume and getting more material spaced a uniform distance from a physically larger heater so more oil reaches the magic temperature at the same time. IMO all good ideas. Now, if that only happens......OF

hey, watch me now (in my best james brown voice) actually, i was just echoing Haywood's query

glad to know that it isn't and that there is a different cart/bowl for oil. can't wait for the pics on THAT one! ;) thanks for the heads up on! enjoy that testing for us ;)

OF

Congratulations OF, I look forward to your thoughts on this baby.

Thanks very much, you know I'm stoked, great news to get for sure.

I'm really looking forward to shaking this guy out. One thing sure, I won't be shy about what I find out, some good folks are counting on a straight evaluation.

Oh god if OF was anywhere near me I think there would be day long brainstorming sessions sitting out in his famed garden hitting a plethora of portables.

You know it. And at least part of that would be trying to figure out how to keep Big Daddy Vapor and those two known teckie clowns NDA and Pipes from inviting themselves....... How's that for a scary thought?

Probably have to sign up for one of those MMJ delivery services. And send out for pizzas. Lots of pizzas.

enjoy that testing for us ;)

I feel I'm spiritually prepared to face that challenge. Materially I think I'm OK, hope I have enough OG Kush to cover some proper testing.....

Thanks for the good wishes, Bob. Be fun to carry the flag for a 'first cruse'.

OF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom