Discontinued The Persei Vaporizer for herbs and concentrates.

OF

How do you go about measuring the resistance OF? What tool would you need to do that.

The easiest way is with a digital multi meter (DMM), or 'meter' as found these days in hardware stores even. Like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Size-Han...1339767591&sr=8-3&keywords=digital+multimeter

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-mult...p-03482141000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

http://www.lowes.com/pd_292768-1270...63&Ntt=multimeter&pl=1&currentURL=&facetInfo=

The key feature, available on all such meters I think I've ever seen, is a 200 Ohm range (you'll see it at about '6 o'clock' on the dial in most of these guys since they're pretty similar inside. Use that range.

Put the supplied probes in the 'com' and 'volt ohms' jacks (avoid the "10 Amp DC only" one), and turn it on. The display should go to 'over range', usually just the first 1 lit, with no zeros. Touching the probes together should read some very small number of Ohms (the resistance of the leads and connections). To be most accurate, note this reading and subtract it from the cart reading. In practice, hold one probe against the body of the cart with one hand while you use the other to probe the center pin on the screw connector. The answer, in Ohms (plus the lead resistances) will then be displayed. For 2.4 Ohm carts there are two five Ohm resistors in there in parallel to total 2.4, so failures will read 5 Ohms (about) for one coil missing, or 'full scale' for both.

You can also use the same meter to measure your batteries. Use the 20 DCV range instead. Lose batteries are easy to read. Power supplies we often call 'batteries' in error can also be easily read, hold one probe to the body as you press the button down and probe the contact in the center of the socket with the other hand. Although it should be protected, be careful not to short the probe to the socket wall.

HTH big guy? BTW, if you need help spending that windfall, let me know.....always happy to help out you know.....

OF

Vitolo

Vaporist
I love hitting my old clogged 2.4 carts at 7 V
I get a couple final huge clouds... and many times, that cart once cleared at high heat is good for a new "round".... (true- limited life at times after that~)

This is exactly what you and everyone out there should do. If you dry fire at 7.4 with any cart it will be short lived.

You catch on quick Indy!

I know where I went wrong. Again it's my roots! I started out in the Omi thread and read that whole thing.. I did not read the entire Persei thread.. I simply took my Omi rules and applied them automatically (and in admitted ignorance) to the Persei. The most painful part of this learning experience is not the 2 dead carts cause I know 1 good cart will last me 3 weeks easy and my original 3 week old 5 ohm is still working, I just was getting ready for the weekend! And the .3 grams of unrecoverable oil in my 2 dead carts IS my weekend! :doh:

I guess a meter will have to go on the list of 'suggested accessories' page! :D

Now I have another couple carts to try and Iso wash to recover what I can from them. I should look that up, I think it was the Omi thread where someone was doing that to old carts..

Anyway.. Thanks again!

Cheers!

Indy.

Indicana_Jones,

OF

The most painful part of this learning experience is not the 2 dead carts cause I know 1 good cart will last me 3 weeks easy and my original 3 week old 5 ohm is still working, I just was getting ready for the weekend! And the .3 grams of unrecoverable oil in my 2 dead carts IS my weekend! :doh:

Stand by IJ, this is your lucky day! Through a top secret process pioneered by none less than Vitolo the Wise (Sage of the High Desert) you should be able to recover most of that oil at the expense of the carts.

There are several ways to do this, but basically you want to use the seals and furnace assembly as a piston to push everything out the top. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can get butch with pliers and bust the threaded end of the connector off with the center pin and rubber insulator and cut or just break the wire under it. Or you can use pliers or similar to pull the center pin out again (cutting or breaking the wire), leave the insulator in (or pick it out) and just work through the smaller hole. You need to fish a bamboo skewer (what I use) or coat hanger or some other wire up to push the furnace body out.

Warm the cart first to soften stuff up, then push it out onto a plate or something you can scrape easily. Then go after it with toothpicks and so on as you normally would. Lots of 'nooks and crannies' to work on but that's where the good stuff is.

For perspective, Vitolo then torches the tube to take a hit or two off that to get the last bit...... Not all of us want to be just like him that much, though.

Good luck, looks like a great weekend from here....

OF

OF,

jambandphan03

in flavor country
you can reclaim oil from dead carts w/ an Iso soak, then evap off the iso (99% iso is best)... it will be a bit nasty compared to the original oil, but it still has the goods in there... for those who feel bad about wasting a few bits of oil at the end, it's worth the try IMO.

jambandphan03,
Reactions: Bob Loblaw
There are several ways to do this, but basically you want to use the seals and furnace assembly as a piston to push everything out the top. There are a couple of ways to do this. You can get butch with pliers and bust the threaded end of the connector off with the center pin and rubber insulator and cut or just break the wire under it. Or you can use pliers or similar to pull the center pin out again (cutting or breaking the wire), leave the insulator in (or pick it out) and just work through the smaller hole. You need to fish a bamboo skewer (what I use) or coat hanger or some other wire up to push the furnace body out.

My plan was (for my first try - and I don't care about the carts since most are fried anyway) to do the iso soak, mostly because it's pretty simple.. carts, jar, iso.. I just wasn't sure how long to soak my carts.

This method you describe above OF, that's interesting but as a tech neophyte I will admit I'm a touch lost. I see where the threaded part attached to the stainless steel outer-tube so I see I can 'break' that off as you described. I don't know what 'pulling the center pin out' refers too or will I not until I have my threaded end off?

Vitolo, how long do you soak your carts? Do you do any shaking?

Cheers!

Indy.

Indicana_Jones,

OF

I see where the threaded part attached to the stainless steel outer-tube so I see I can 'break' that off as you described. I don't know what 'pulling the center pin out' refers too or will I not until I have my threaded end off?

If you break the connector off, the center pin and it's insulator come with it. The center pin is the pin in the center of the connector, looks a bit like a screw with a slot and a hole up the center that leads to the furnace to vent air in. If you poke it you'll note it's floating on the rubber insulator under it, there's a gap all around. I reach into the gap with long nose pliers or hemostats and yank the pin out then cut the wire. When they make it they snake the wire out the end, solder the pin on then push the pin up into the insulator and seal behind it. If you also then pull the insulator out (a short rubber tube) it leaves a hole big enough to insert a rod up and push everything out the top of the tube. The seals will scrape all the oil ahead of it as it goes.

Not really hard at all once you understand my lame instructions.....

OF

OF,
Well it's just after 5:30am.. Woke up with some stomach issues.. grabbed up my Persei with the new (last of my 3) 5 ohm cart loaded with the same blueberry bho that's in the original 5 ohm cart.. stone cold dead! It was working fine last night, put it down really happy and now nuthin.. so I had to go back to my original (and had hoped to retire with one of these new carts) 5 ohm cart and the 3 week re-order window I thought I had with a good brand new cart is also gone. There's .55 grams of oil left in the new cart that I can now recover in one of the above mentioned ways!

My saturday is off to a shitte start and my cart curse continues!

One of you hasn't been sticking needles in a lil Indy shaped doll have you?

OF, your instructions made perfect sense.. my ability to follow them however was complicated by a working 5 ohm cart.. My first pry got the entire rear assembly off o-ring and all like a little mini tube that goes up inside the big one. I was totally confused with what I saw and what I was reading. My 2nd try though came off the way you described (I pulled the first, sheered the 2nd) and it all fell instantly into place. Thanks!

Cheers!

Indy.

Indicana_Jones,
Reactions: OF
I got the double tips yesterday, and just woke up from my coma. I was out and about, which I don't get to much, and treated a party to some 4 ohm double barrels... Obviously everyone loved it, one guy told me "dude, that makes me see colors"(i wish I was him). Lead singer of an old group Urge Overkill(not my fav, but bassist is from my home town) was pretty enthralled with it, he wouldn't leave me alone. Overall a good night. The double tips really finishes off the Persei, as it stands now. My only gripe, is I wish the airpaths could be separated to unclog one at a time. I did have to pull the mouthpiece off a couple times to individually clear a clog.
No big deal though, they are still 10x better than fitting my lips over 2 carts.
Happy days in vapeland, take care folks.

OF

OF, your instructions made perfect sense.. my ability to follow them however was complicated by a working 5 ohm cart.. My first pry got the entire rear assembly off o-ring and all like a little mini tube that goes up inside the big one. I was totally confused with what I saw and what I was reading. My 2nd try though came off the way you described (I pulled the first, sheered the 2nd) and it all fell instantly into place. Thanks!

Great, glad to hear it fell into place and you pulled it off. Then the fun of getting to the goods and keeping them off your hands at the same time starts.

Don't worry too much about my instructions suddenly making "perfect sense", it's a feeling that's going to pass pretty quickly and isn't likely to return any time soon......

Thanks for the good news, sorry you lost the cart, but you have a work around so 'keep vaping'!

OF

OF,
Reactions: Vitolo

mrmojo62

ok my persei arrived this morning and i am stoked to give it a go. besides the glow test, what else should i avoid with this beast? my batteries are charging and my last hour at work will last forever! something to look forward to at home i guess.

tia

mrmojo62,

OF

besides the glow test, what else should i avoid with this beast?

Sharp objects.

And operating motor vehicles or heavy equipment until you're sure how it will effect you?

OF

Oh, yeah, I'd avoid ex wives and mothers in law.....either is the surest buzz kill I know......

"Mothers in Law". Correct English but a truly scary idea. Where's my vape...... OF

OF,

SlideOrDie

Has anyone else noticed that the short Persei for use with single 18350 is up on their site now?

SlideOrDie,

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Runnin' 4 ohm at 6v, absolutely nothing. feels warm but no go on it. issue? new cart, new fill. still having some type of battery issue. use 4 ohm at 7.4? or call it quits....

having issue with 3.0v batts. Not even a single use before the button LED slowly fades. Destroyed a couple carts trying to figure this out. 5 ohm at 7.4 worked in the beginning, then needed new carts, received carts recently, filled recently, tried recently, failed recently. No "cloud" at all, not even a taste. filled .7. No glow test, just straight heat test.

EDIT: Tried primes and tests at 3.7 on that same 4 ohm, getting more heat and taste than the 6v. Whatta world. Still need to know if 7.4 is ok on 4 ohm. 6v does not work how it should. I believe the 7.4v also has the same issue, but havent tested enough.

Porquiplane,

OF

Runnin' 4 ohm at 6v, absolutely nothing. feels warm but no go on it. issue? new cart, new fill. still having some type of battery issue. use 4 ohm at 7.4? or call it quits....

having issue with 3.0v batts. Not even a single use before the button LED slowly fades. Destroyed a couple carts trying to figure this out. 5 ohm at 7.4 worked in the beginning, then needed new carts, received carts recently, filled recently, tried recently, failed recently. No "cloud" at all, not even a taste. filled .7. No glow test, just straight heat test.

EDIT: Tried primes and tests at 3.7 on that same 4 ohm, getting more heat and taste than the 6v. Whatta world. Still need to know if 7.4 is ok on 4 ohm. 6v does not work how it should. I believe the 7.4v also has the same issue, but havent tested enough.

What 3.0 Volt batteries are you talking about?

TIA

OF

OF,

DubCRider

4ohm @ 7.4v is fine with short power bursts and a cart that has been well primed on lower voltages.

DubCRider,

OF

Ultrafire cr123a 800mah

Wrong batteries, they won't work as you've discovered. Too high an internal resistance for us. The only ones that will work are these exact RCR123As (and I'm told AW's version of the same):
http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-...3a+3.0v+750mah+lifepo4+rechargeable+batteries

Note the same maker's 'better' RCR123A, the 900 mAh version, also doesn't work. That's no doubt the problem. They just can't provide enough power fast enough for us. This is why the IMR 3.7 Volt Battery works better, under load the six Volts you're starting with collapses to under 3.7.

As DubC says you can pulse the power, but IMO this is a move for experts otherwise as it adds a kind of dangerous variable to the mix. I tested some 4 Ohm carts at six Volts (using the above batteries) and I ended up having to pulse them even then.

But your problem for now is trying to use the wrong battery it seems.

Thanks for the info.

OF

Porquiplane

Look Into My Eyes
Wrong batteries, they won't work as you've discovered. Too high an internal resistance for us. The only ones that will work are these exact RCR123As (and I'm told AW's version of the same):
http://www.amazon.com/Kits-RCR123A-LiFePO4-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B001EYHO9G/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339814609&sr=1-2&keywords=rcr123a 3.0v 750mah lifepo4 rechargeable batteries

Note the same maker's 'better' RCR123A, the 900 mAh version, also doesn't work. That's no doubt the problem. They just can't provide enough power fast enough for us. This is why the IMR 3.7 Volt Battery works better, under load the six Volts you're starting with collapses to under 3.7.

As DubC says you can pulse the power, but IMO this is a move for experts otherwise as it adds a kind of dangerous variable to the mix. I tested some 4 Ohm carts at six Volts (using the above batteries) and I ended up having to pulse them even then.

But your problem for now is trying to use the wrong battery it seems.

Thanks for the info.

OF

The cr123a's were from delta. Even listed as 'for persei'.

Porquiplane,

OF

The cr123a's were from delta. Even listed as 'for persei'.

So are they working? You've got IMR 18350s, right? What happens when you try them (be sure to pulse)? My money's on batteries. If the core gets warm but not hot and the light goes dim quickly we're either not charging them or they won't discharge fast enough. Do you have more than one set to try, a single bad cell will stop it.

You could, I suppose, run one 123 cell and one IMR to test the 123 cells. Just be quick and careful not to over discharge anybody.

Bottom line is your report of more heat at 3.7 Volts, that says the battery pack is under that level under load to me.

OF

OF,

Vitolo

Vaporist
There are 4 battery combos I use-
  • The 3 V batteries (a pair of them)
  • two 3.7V batteries
  • One 3V + one 3.7 V
  • the single battery

Bob Loblaw

Astralnaut
yea, the 3.7v batts from D9 are fine. i have used them repeatedly on both Persei and TV units w/ no problems. looks like it's not the battery brand and model, but maybe the battery itself?

speaking of checking for volts and amps and multimeters...
look what i found.

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0163.jpg

droooool

Top Bottom