• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

The Nomad From Morwood

ZC

Really hoping to get in on that pre-order. Really excited not only for the vape design but the modular heater. I'm planning on making a couple of different cases for the heater for dual 18650 or plug-in use.

I actually fidget with my Okin box a lot, because the friction fit is so perfect. It's very satisfying to open and close. The sleeve will not budge even if you rigorously shake the box, but it slides in and out easily with pressure. I've had it for a year and past the very early stage where it went from too-tight to perfect, it hasn't loosened. Can't say for sure over the very long term but I'm personally not worried about the sleeve becoming loose. Dan's craftsmanship is exceptional. There is no slop, and I am not exaggerating when I say the fit is perfect. So I'm not concerned at all with the design of the nomad's sleeve.

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@Mr. Me2, 1.77" for the front and back side, .89" for the sides. 5.32" total length.

@virtualpurple PM me your email, :)

Thanks @ZC!

@Prolusio, The sleeve laminate itself is quite hard to make, definitely something requiring practice and some technique. But the sleeve covering paper would be a snap to paste onto a completed raw sleeve. A little sandpaper to clean up the edges and away ya go. Also, keep in mind the wooden bottom plate is part of the sleeve, glued together.

I could always send out an unfinished sleeve if a spare was ever needed.

Last edited:

stickstones

Vapor concierge
I drew a lot of inspiration from that cyberpunk... space scavenger... recycled Star Wars-y... world. And I feel like a big part of the design IS the ability to mix n' match materials, colours..etc.. That's what makes it feel more authentic, as if you had bodged together a vape out of scrap parts pulled from an old star cruiser crashed on a remote planet...

That's the coolest fucking thing I've ever read.

Mr. Me2

@VaporSipper, I played around with that in photoshop as well! I definitely like the variations in colour for the stem collar. I'll be offering a few different wood choices, padauk, walnut, african blackwood, cocobolo, cherry, perhaps beech... and mmaaayyybbee later on, dyed wood OR acrylics... All will come with variations in price depending on the material.

@marduk

5U7j8S0.jpg

Z4Coybh.jpg

GXBjVqD.jpg

HWo7oNh.jpg

@GreenHopper, You are correct. ha.

The design is mean't to be customized, but only so far. It's a balance. The points of customization are purely cosmetic, I don't give options that I think will interfere with the functionality, nor do I think any combination of colours/materials will compromise the aesthetic vibe I'm after.

I drew a lot of inspiration from that cyberpunk... space scavenger... recycled Star Wars-y... world. And I feel like a big part of the design IS the ability to mix n' match materials, colours..etc.. That's what makes it feel more authentic, as if you had bodged together a vape out of scrap parts pulled from an old star cruiser crashed on a remote planet...

hahaha, okay, a bit fanciful.. but you get the idea.

It's the collaboration between maker and user that completes each vape.. and I don't think the visual concept would be the same without it. I NEED you guys to customize it, for the sake of the design!

@Prolusio, The stock sleeve is just raw, unfinished Kraft paper. I will perhaps have a logo stamp, much like the one that went onto the Okin boxes... but with an updated design. I am also deboss stamping the unit number onto the side, and maybe the name nomad...depending on if it looks cool...

If I were to include an extra sleeve, that sleeve would have to cost me like.. $50 in time. It's just not possible without a major price increase. You can consider the sleeve to be as durable as thick leather. You can toss it, drop it, get it wet, whatever you want.. it'll be fine. IMO they only look better with wear.

@Fat Freddy and @cannabis.pro accidentally brought up a good point... if you want a specific image.. well.. you'll have to print it out yourself and paste it onto a blank sleeve.. cuz' that's a whole can of worms that I'm not jumping into! :worms:
@Dan Morrison - here's a suggestion for placement of name and numbering; how about just stamping the base of the brass plate?

Personally, I'm a fan of "less is more" when it comes to logos and product name on items. Not that I don't want you to be identified or recognized for your beautiful work, but I'd rather the artistry of the Nomad shine through.

MonkeyTime

What a great Monday!

I've finally caught up on this thread! Pre-orders haven't started, but sound "reasonably" soon! I have seen a number of papers that I think will look great, and that's without looking for myself!

I can't say anything that hasn't been said already in this thread, it's inspiring. While I'm sure it's been fun for all of you in real time, I got to binge read this thread and I'm almost overwhelmed. The entire process to this point has been it's own piece of art, and while I haven't been active in it before this, it was a dance I truly enjoyed.

I PM'd you @Dan Morrison to get on the list, but no hurry, I saw you respond earlier that you answer in batches. Feel free to let me know how many are on the list now and what sort of batches you're looking at producing in. I'm here for the long haul either way!

This looks to be a piece, that I can take out to the family in NY (1/2 are ok with the canna habit, the half not so much) and show my grandfather and uncles lol. He owned a tool and die shop for most of my life and used it for his own designs and work also. Most of the uncles the same, they'll appreciate the craftsmanship and design even if they can't appreciate it's function!

Happy Monday FC!

KeroZen

Chronic vapaholic
I went back to page 29 and there was this bit:

Here is a slightly improved heater design. African Blackwood air inlet.

...which made me think: would that make sense to provide different air inlet / insulators with varied hole patterns in order to customize the air flow characteristics?

For instance going from super free flowing to restricted etc. by changing the number and size of the holes?

Also being so close to the heater and directly in the air path, will it impact taste? Could there be other wood types in order to get something more or less neutral? Or one of these glass discs used in other (old) vapes? Or a ceramic part?

Bonus question: can it char if you over-indulge on the trigger?

Then it made me realize that I have strictly no idea how air enters through the bottom cap, I don't think you posted any picture of this part seen from below, no?

Last edited:

delloy

Could we please stop turning this thread into "Dan could you mock this up" posts. Thanks for your cooperation.

For anyone interested, I have a photoshop file setup to make samples. Just link me to the paper you'd like to see and I'll post an image of what it'll look like on the Nomad!

So which is it?

Mods dont want us to.

&

Dan as I understand it seems to want us to post links so he can show mockups.

:shrug::shrug:

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member

GreenHopper

20 going on 60
Don't know how I breezed past this...well I do know, excitement!
Holy crap this thing is going to be tiny!
Basically, it is like holding two 18650s in your hand.
I don't know the height (is it listed somewhere?).

My own crappy mock up for size.
fTdyUrH.jpg

WOW, that is exactly the wrap/cover I've been looking for! JOKE...do not move @duff's post to a different thread :p

Yep this vape is tiny.

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Yep, I'm guessing about the same size as the FW4...

:shrug:

EDIT IN: post 523 by Dan Morrison
  1. fumbyT8.jpg

Exact dimensions of production unit are:

3.36" High, 1.77" Wide, 0.89" Thick.

Or in metric, 85mm x 45mm x 22.6mm

Relatively tiny I think! I'd have no issues carrying this in a pants pocket.

Since you mentioned the Firewood 4, here are its dimensions from their website:

Dimensions: 2" wide by 7/8” thick by 4" tall with cooling unit, 3 1/2" tall without

Last edited:

Fat Freddy

FUCK CANCER TOO !
Thanks @Fat Freddy

I do remember seeing that and didn't realize the F4 was that small too.

I posted right after Dan's post!

Ha ha! I had forgotten about Dan's post as well...very pocketable vape!

The silence is deafening!
I need some hype.

4208661.jpg

And, thanks so much for all your photoshopping work, @duff ! That REALLY helps me see that the prints I chose are too large, too busy, for the Nomad. Instead, I think I may go with the green one with Asian symbols that Dan mocked up ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom