The Nomad From Morwood

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
Oh man, so the move has been busy, I've been lurking around, but no time to comment. Sorry to those waiting on things from me, my life is re-emerging from piles of boxes, order will be restored!

New shop space is as dope as ever, hopefully the last shop space I'll ever need.

The time out of the shop has given me lots of testing time, and time to re-think the name.

The name, RM-1, is dead. It just doesn't give me the vibe I'm looking for...

So, after many days of inundating my girlfriend with name after name after name, I've settled on THE name.

The Nomad.

It's a touch organic, ancient, natural. A touch futuristic, spacey, dystopian.

This week I'll be putting the shop back together, and then I'm ready to take pre-orders. I will be posting some final images of the finished working prototype, and all the tech. specs.

The low power Heater Module has been awesome. Takes longer to heat up, about 5 seconds, but it's very easy to control, pretty much zero chance of combustion at nominal voltage of 3.7v, and the battery life just goes and goes and goes.

Something I have noticed with all heater modules is that immediately after a session you can remove the heater module and hold it in your hand no problem, it may be warm, but not hot. I take this as a good sign that the heat is being efficiently used.

The lichen encased in the button is still holding up just fine. The green/blue colour has slightly faded in saturation, but I find that happens with all lichens once they are removed from their natural growing spot.

As with all chamber-in-stem vapes, cleaning is incredibly easy. I'd like to at least include two stems with each Nomad, so you'll always have a backup if one breaks.

There should never be a need to send this vape back for service. The entire button, heaters, etc.. can all be sent to you and easily installed. Everything else is a solid brick with no glue joints.

Anyhow, that's the latest news!

A re-name is required. Yep!

Also, I am re-branding D.M. Pipes to something else. I am pretty set on Morwood.

My last name, Morrison, combined with wood... also, the URL is available.. annd it's nice and fantasy woodsy feeling.

D.M. Pipes had a good run, but I don't make pipes anymore. The future is Vaporizers!

:clap: all around well done sir, perfect names really (the Nomad from Morwood sounds like a fantasy novel itself...) Could maybe put parathesized "fka DM Pipes" after the name in the thread title just in case anyone gets confused? For Okin too, just a thought

Looking forward to pre order details and photos! Oh what fun this will be:drool:

sauhamm

you guys are welcome - i posted and said this was all a big fake out and Mr. Morwood shows up and announces pre-orders will begin soon...! :D

now excuse me while i go check my email and prepare to give over my hard earned cash for an instant vaping classic and a future piece of history.

ChooChooCharlie

Morwood -- I'll drink to that!

DyUB2tOm.jpg

Oops, perception problem along horizontal axis of symmetry.
(actually gives the name a cool vibe from an altered perspective)

Beautiful work, Dan!

duff

Well worn
Whew, I thought this thread was gone!

That was a cruel trick to play on a middle-aged stoner.

When Captain America became disillusioned with the man, he changed to the Nomad for a bit.

Seriously flamboyant outfit. Hard to believe it didn't take off. The opposite of Morwood's aesthetic.
ZnATogS.jpg

Last edited:

EmDeemo

ACCOUNT INACTIVE
Whew, I thought this thread was gone!

That was a cruel trick to play on a middle-aged stoner.

When Captain America became disillusioned with the man, he changed to the Nomad for a bit.

Seriously flamboyant outfit. Hard to believe it didn't take off. The opposite of Morwood's aesthetic.
ZnATogS.jpg

I think we've just found the colour scheme I'll be asking for ;)

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
So 3 Ni-Chrome heaters at first? That's begging for people wanting them all! Now I see what you did, sneaky you!!! :brow:

Any idea about the 3 peak power output figures?

SS versions in the pipe?

A discount for the full bundle?

Questions, questions, that's all we have for now! And drool.

Three, Nichrome heaters at first, yes. Should give plenty of temperature range. Next in line would be a HM for concentrates.

SS versions un-tested, source for ribbon in the size I need will be custom order, large quantity, $$$. Will have to bite the bullet if large demand is there, but currently too expensive for me to test.

Undecided on final price/discounts..etc..

Hey, @Dan Morrison - has the price been finalized for the Nomad?

Rough estimate, yes. Somewhere around $275 usd.

Any chance we might take a gander at the finished, working prototype BEFORE the pre-order event?

Yes YES, of course.

Bdubbdiblets

I' pm'd you to get on the list but didn't get a response. A tad nervous 'cause man I want to be on the list.

Haha I did the same thing and didn't hear anything so that makes me feel a bit better actually! I don't want to bug the man too much as I am sure he's busy but does anyone know if there is a list yet? I've read most of the thread and didn't read anything specifically. Perhaps there haven't been too many preorder details released yet? :shrug:

Super excited for this thing and it seems the creator has put some true heart and soul into its development. How could I not want to give my money...

Edit: like magic

:rockon::rockon::rockon:

sixstringsmash

I've just been doing some catching up on this thread and I must say I am feeling great about this. Things seem like they are finally all falling into place for you Dan and I am very happy for you! I already have one D.M Pipe Morwood vaporizer and I just cannot wait to have the next and best from the Morwood line!

For now I just have to :chill:, grab some :popcorn:, and patiently :freak: wait for my place in the line to come up. :mmmm:

Shit Snacks

Milaana. Lana. LANA. LANAAAA! (TM2/TP80/BAK/FW9)
If I haven't heard anything does that mean that I'm not on the list? How can there be over 30 pages on a vape that isn't even ready to demo?

Can someone direct me to where to sign up in case I'm not on the list. There's a lot of pages to look though.

Just message Dan, you haven't missed anything but product development then prototype design and build with gorgeous photos :tup:

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
@StormyPinkness, PM Sent.

Okay, so I've been doing some battery life testing of the Medium/Low power heater module (0.68 ohm), which is my favourite so far.

This is my testing so far, from full battery to 3.7v.

Each session is 3 hits, small chamber load, basket sandwich.

First draw = 5 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 15 seconds total ON time.
Second draw = 3 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 13 seconds total ON time.
Third Draw = 3 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 10 seconds total ON time.

Aim was for all draws to produce satisfying vapor.

After each short session, the voltage is recorded with a multimeter.

Battery Tested: LG HE4.

Starting Voltage, fresh off charger, 4.13v

1. 4.09v
2. 4.06v
3. 4.03v
4. 4.01v
5. 3.98v
6. 3.96v
7. 3.94v
8. 3.91v
9. 3.89v
10. 3.87v
11. 3.84v
12. 3.82v
13. 3.80v
14. 3.77v
15. 3.75v
16. 3.74v
17. 3.72v
18. 3.70v

Total draws: 54

It seems to be a pretty steady .02v drop per session.

Obviously these results are not very scientific, and everyone has vastly different vaping techniques and chamber loads.. so battery life is a variable thing that will depend on your usage.

But this might give you guys a rough idea of what the battery life is like with this particular setup and usage routine.

Battery testing will continue beyond 3.7v, down to where the performance starts to drop off, then pre-heat and draw times will be adjusted. More on that later!

Mr. Me2

@StormyPinkness, PM Sent.

Okay, so I've been doing some battery life testing of the Medium/Low power heater module (0.68 ohm), which is my favourite so far.

This is my testing so far, from full battery to 3.7v.

Each session is 3 hits, small chamber load, basket sandwich.

First draw = 5 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 15 seconds total ON time.
Second draw = 3 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 13 seconds total ON time.
Third Draw = 3 second pre-heat, 10 second draw. 10 seconds total ON time.

Aim was for all draws to produce satisfying vapor.

After each short session, the voltage is recorded with a multimeter.

Battery Tested: LG HE4.

Starting Voltage, fresh off charger, 4.13v

1. 4.09v
2. 4.06v
3. 4.03v
4. 4.01v
5. 3.98v
6. 3.96v
7. 3.94v
8. 3.91v
9. 3.89v
10. 3.87v
11. 3.84v
12. 3.82v
13. 3.80v
14. 3.77v
15. 3.75v
16. 3.74v
17. 3.72v
18. 3.70v

Total draws: 54

It seems to be a pretty steady .02v drop per session.

Obviously these results are not very scientific, and everyone has vastly different vaping techniques and chamber loads.. so battery life is a variable thing that will depend on your usage.

But this might give you guys a rough idea of what the battery life is like with this particular setup and usage routine.

Battery testing will continue beyond 3.7v, down to where the performance starts to drop off, then pre-heat and draw times will be adjusted. More on that later!
Hey Dan, how about your take on flavor put out by this puppy!?! Inquiring minds...

Dan Morrison

Manufacturer
Hey Dan, how about your take on flavor put out by this puppy!?! Inquiring minds...

Depends on your starting material of course, but I think this design lends itself to achieving great flavor.

You've got the glass chamber/stem which is very easy to keep clean because it's a straight tube. So that's a good starting point.

The heater, being able to efficiently transfer heat, doesn't need to get anywhere near glowing red. It stands to reason that the lower the temperature of your element material, the less chance there is for any flavor from the hot metal to come through. I've never detected anything.

Even heat is another point. If you've got one half of your chamber heating up faster than the other half, you'll have that toastier flavor coming through much sooner, even if the cooler side of your chamber has a lot more flavor left in it.

I feel like this style of heater is able to produce very consistent heat over the entire surface of the chamber. Zero central hot-spot. To a lesser extent, grind consistency, pack weight, etc.. can also impact even heating, so that's something to keep in mind.

To load the chamber with a stem style chamber, you can simply suck the material up into the stem like a straw. I am starting to believe that loading in this way produces a packed load that is somehow more consistent in regards to even airflow... I have nothing to back this up, but perhaps others can chime in. I feel like packing manually, either through a loading cone, or pinching between fingers.... may lead to areas of the chamber that are more densely packed.. and therefor receive less airflow..less heat..uneven heating...diminished flavor earlier on...

Then you have the fast heat up time and all convection style heating, which I think are two important variables to preserving flavor.

And then, the reason I like the medium/low power heater module so much is that it's very easy to control at the lower end of the heat spectrum. You don't have to worry about over-heating, which can kill your flavor earlier on in a session. You can truly start low and very slowly work your way up, savoring every ounce of flavor along the way.

Top Bottom