1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lotus Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Max Jitter, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Basti

Basti Member

I use the Lotus for some weeks now and I never combusted till yet. IMO it s very easy to use and the hits are very satisfying. It's perfect for vape and go... thats why I use it almost every day ;-)

2. Gray Area

Gray Area Well-Known Member

@dos equis do you move the flame around after the initial pre-heat? I usually move the flame around in circles, pull it away for a moment then move it closer etc, using the heat from the stem as feedback... the flames moving all the time.

Always use my lotus dry. Prob easier to judge than through a glass piece as I've found you get used to the heat of the vapour in your mouth.

:tup:

Morty and dos equis like this.
  3. dos equis

dos equis Well-Known Member

I try to move it around a little yeah. I should probably focus on draw speed and where I hold the flame.
    I always use it dry too :D

Gray Area likes this.
  4. Montell

Montell Member

Looking at the lotus or sticky brick for dry herb, has anyone tried both and which they prefer?

WakeAndVape and Xelatsok like this.
  5. Vaporbabe

Vaporbabe Member

I simply love the Lotus - from the ease of use to full flavourful clouds of vape! On the go and good for the camper, I am truly impressed with this vaporizer! Never a dull moment when the Lotus is near :)

WakeAndVape and cybrguy like this.
  6. dos equis

I have been using the Lotus for a couple of weeks now, enjoying it a lot. I am picking up an OG Sticky Brick today though!

Gotta say the Lotus is the most easily cleaned vaporizer I have owned. Put some ISO in a container along with the Lotus, shake it thoroughly and the whole thing looks good as new.

WakeAndVape, cybrguy and Xelatsok like this.
  7. Montell

Montell Member

Awesome if you could follow up after you have the brick it would be great and how it stacks up.

WakeAndVape and Xelatsok like this.
  8. dos equis

Definitely get the Sticky Brick if it's between one of these two. It's great!

9. Max Jitter

Max Jitter Manufacturer Manufacturer

A big difference between the Lotus and Sticky Brick is that the Lotus separates the butane fumes from the air you are inhaling.
    http://pureanalytics.net/blog/2013/08/24/to-dab-or-not-to-dab/

With the craze for dabbing on the rise, butane manufacturers have begun labeling their wares as “Triple refined” or “6 times refined”. These descriptions are meaningless. There are only 2 designations that matter, industrial grade vs. ultra high purity when it comes to gas and solvent. None of the small containers of butane sold in head-shops are “ultra high purity”. This means that they may contain many other chemicals, some known neurotoxins in the case of low-grade gases.

The choice is yours.

PPN, grokit, The Beagle and 7 others like this.
  10. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

For any who may be concerned about breathing in the results of butane combustion, the Lotus is the clear winner between the two. I have never been able to get comfortable with that idea. With the lotus the incoming air is fresh.

Obviously others are not concerned. Call me paranoid. :)

Oops, I see Max beat me too it.

11. dos equis

That's a good point. At the same time, how much crap do you inhale walking near traffic?

I feel bad now though. I had just finished testing two new units when I wrote my comment. To put it this way, I'm glad I have both units. They serve different purposes in many ways and I am definitely glad I have both!

Do you happen to know if Xikar Purofine is regarded as 'good'?

WakeAndVape likes this.
  12. Max Jitter

I don't know about the quality of Xikar butane. According to pureanalytics.com, filtering doesn't mean anything, but a chemist friend said that each filtration process removes another contaminant. I do know that cheap butane plugs the lighters.
    That is the extent of my butane knowledge.

WakeAndVape, cybrguy and The Beagle like this.
  13. colgorkan

colgorkan Well-Known Member

Clicked in the Sticky Brick video. Looked pretty cool, unique design, nice looking wood, stainless and glass vapor path, convection, magnets!! hmm, what is this? intriguing... and then he lights a torch and proceeds to suck the flame straight into the vapor path into his lungs. Eww my visceral reaction is nope.

cybrguy and *plainlazy* like this.
  14. shobgoblin

shobgoblin New Member

Someone save me, I feel like I'm doing something awfully wrong.

I just picked up a Lotus from the classifieds but nearly as soon as I start heating it it starts SMOKING and I'm not talking the good stuff, it's catching on fire. I was excited to get it but now I'm at a loss; the whole unit has a slight woody taste to it now and I'm worried I've thrown my money away.

Is there any way I can kill the taste and get it to work right? I think my torch might have been too high powered.

Update: Fuck.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    The Beagle likes this.
  15. colgorkan

colgorkan Well-Known Member

Over time they do get a bit torched on the inside with heavy use and that one does look like it got excessively hot although the damage looks superficial. I don't remember any of my interior plates (with the ring of holes) being discolored like that but that could just be the photo. Id probably just brush and remove the loose char with a toothbrush and cloth and reassemble. Be really careful not to strip your screwholes. A couple bowls and it'll be ok. Is the nickle heat exchange plate cracked or pitted through, if so a replacement is $15.00. If it is one if the older ribbed ones I'd probably replace it anyway.

What torch are you using? Shop torches for soldering etc can be way too strong. A decent portable single flame torch works best and having a supply of decent torches is essential for enjoying the vape. The ones available from MT are good as are the vapman torches and several others such as Zico models.

I think most of use preheat until you can just see a spot with a bit of a glow in the center of the plate (beware, not always visible in bright sunlight) and then back off a bit to maintain a proper temperature. Good luck.

WakeAndVape, Poostuff and The Beagle like this.
  16. Other Side

Other Side Well-Known Member

I have the whole Triihouse collection, the whole SB collection (except for the OG cuz it's the same as the Daisy) and the Lotus.

I like them all but for different reasons. The lotus is going to work better with glass if you are going to run it through water. It's smaller and more straight forward.

If you like the different wood species or that part appeals to you then the brick may be for you.

Max already highlighted the design differences with the butane. Personally I'm not concerned with either. If you are using it properly the butane should burn off with the flame.

WakeAndVape, The Beagle and dos equis like this.
  17. Max Jitter

We are about to release a WPA made for male GONGs, as on dab rigs. It uses silicone O-rings as our standard WPA does.
    [​IMG]
    We would like your opinion on whether we should add a handle to it or wrap it in leather as shown.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  18. *plainlazy*

*plainlazy* Well-Known Member

That's freaking awesome. I like the handle on my female WPA. So +1 for handle.

All I use ATM is my lotus and I love it. Tuned in on it and it hits hard lol.

Can I ask what are the benefits of the high temp cap? Over the standard cap

Poostuff and grokit like this.
  19. just_the_flu

just_the_flu take it as it comes, specialize in havin' fun

....I think the leather wrap may be best..

...the handle may not be strong enough depending on how snug the gong sits on joint assuming it's like the og wpa... and I think grabbing by the base may come more natural for most when removing...

20. grokit

grokit well-worn member

Either one would be fine, I'd probably end up going for the handle for consistency's sake :tup:

Poostuff likes this.
  21. Other Side

Other Side Well-Known Member

I love the handle!

Poostuff likes this.
  22. hafalump

hafalump Well-Known Member

Wrap the handle in leather, please everyone. But I vote handle.

Poostuff likes this.
  23. The Beagle

The Beagle Butanist Bubblemaker

I vote handle as I love it on the regular WPA and I would like to have a similar one on every similar adapter I own.

Poostuff and Other Side like this.
  24. Gigsabits53

Gigsabits53 Well-Known Member

I vote handle also. It's a nice feature.

As for the Lotus vs the Brick, I have both and I prefer the Lotus for 2 reasons, #1 has been mentioned, the butane intake. I dont know the science of it but it seems like the Lotus would be favorable over the brick if you are at all concerned. The 2nd reason is one of those little things but its a big deal for me. Emptying the bowl in the Lotus is a snap compared to my Brick Maxx.

They are both fun devices to use and I enjoy using them. If I had to pick one, it would be the Lotus.

Enjoy!

25. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

The science is pretty easy. The heat from the butane ignition causes any fumes to rise. The air intake on the Lotus is below the cap, so there is really no way for much if any of the fumes to get in there and enter the vape. With the brick you are pointing the butane flame right into the air intake and pulling all the exhaust of the burn with it through the load and into your lungs. If there are any impurities that don't burn completely or if you see anything other than blue flame the burn may not be complete and you may get some CO or other impurities.
    Many people believe that there are no fumes coming out of burning butane, and that is probably true if the butane is completely pure (?) and you never touch the walls of the intake with the flame. Otherwise I am not quite as comfortable with it as they are. But that's just me.
    In actual fact the amount of bad stuff is probably very low, but I think I get enough walking down a busy street, I don't need to add any getting high. Again, everyone needs to make their own assessment.

Poostuff, Morty and Gigsabits53 like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors