1. A not-so-short post addressing what's been going on recently.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Lotus Vaporizer

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by Max Jitter, Sep 24, 2010.

1. voodoo_vape

voodoo_vape Vapour RebeL

You can check on Black Leaf's site for some quality glassware and I think that you'll find what you're looking for and you can also check on dhgate as well, for something cheaper.
    There are plenty more places that sell those, I'm just mentioning those two...

2. The Beagle

The Beagle Butanist Bubblemaker

I got this version of the @Oregonglassblower j hook and I find it just perfect for the Lotus, way better than the regular one where you have to keep the torch in front of your eyes. You could ask him to make one with a carb hole

RUDE BOY, cybrguy and voodoo_vape like this.
  3. Putricio

Putricio Active Member

The crazy The Beagle! I did exactly what you suggested yesterday! I had a great experience with Oregonglassblower. He answered all my questions and responded to my emails promptly.

cybrguy, The Beagle and voodoo_vape like this.
  4. voodoo_vape

voodoo_vape Vapour RebeL

Wow! This looks really nice and handy.. Maybe I order one at some point.. My only concern is that it cannot be combined with the new lady in house and the budget is currently limited and if any expenditure it has to be at least compatible for both of them..Regardless of that though, this piece and several others from this vendor, look really cool!! And I'm sure hitting Lotus with one of those will def be an awesome session...you can also attach an ashcatcher or even a bubbler and make it even deadlier!! :evil:

The Beagle likes this.
  5. RedEyeRasta

RedEyeRasta Member

hey guys, one question.
    my standard vapor cap fell into a glass of Jägermeister (herbal liquor with a lot of sugar for those who dont know). all the metal parts have been cleaned but what about the wood?
    can I still use it or should I clean it? what should I use for cleaning?
    now using the black vapor cap. performs way better in my opinion. :D

6. Squiby

Squiby Well-Known Member

I LOVE Jägermeister! I think that the wood finish would tolerate a quick rinse under the tap followed by a rub down with a dry cloth, then set out to dry completely.

I prefer the high temp cap as well. :)

RedEyeRasta likes this.
  7. MySega

MySega Well-Known Member

I would think the wood could be quick washed and then oiled with some kind of lemon oil

Squiby and ataxian like this.
  8. RedEyeRasta

RedEyeRasta Member

why lemon oil?

Squiby likes this.
  9. Max Jitter

Max Jitter Manufacturer Manufacturer

I agree, esp. with the dry completely. We use WATCO Danish Oil for the cap. Just be sure that you oil only the exterior. We dry it for a few days at a warm, not hot, temp to make the smell disappear.

RedEyeRasta, MySega and Squiby like this.
  10. Max Jitter

President's Day Sale this weekend - 15% off.

grokit and Lookatmeglow like this.
  11. Lookatmeglow

Lookatmeglow I seem to have a bad case of VAS

Is there a coupon code for it, or is it automatically applied at checkout?

12. Max Jitter

Automatic discount

Lookatmeglow likes this.
  13. shmoedog

shmoedog Vape for Life

Just got the Lotus 2 weeks ago and have been using it regularly and I must say this thing is pretty impressive. It takes a couple of sessions to get the technique down but once you got it its like riding a bike. Just like with cars there are Automatics and Manuals. This is very much a Manual. Which I seem to prefer just because I like the control manual offers. While not as easy once you get the feel it can be much more precise and variable. Most important thing is flame length. I check before every session. If its too low its tedious to get vapor if its too high it will combust. So flame length is essential. Next it needs a slight preheat. 2-10 seconds depending on how cold it is. I usually hold the flame a little ways into the tip of the inner blue flame and move it around the center sometimes holding it steady on center. Soon as it gets to the point were the center of the hot plate gets a slight red glow I back off to the very tip of the inner blue flame and start to draw at a slow to medium pace. I will move the flame in a circular motion while alternating between closer and further away depending on the feel, heat and production of the vapor. I can get my herbs as brown as i want them. The effects of the Lotus are strong IMHO. Just 1 session and I feel perfect with very little material used. Sessions are quick and potent. 1 method I initially disregarded but turned out to be impressive was to just put in a piece of unground and take a couple of pulls first then put it in the grinder and finish extracting it. This really seems to enhance the effects although I have no idea why. The first few pulls of unground taste amazing as well with light vapor. Then after the grind a couple of strong vapor hits. Also filling the bowl between 1/2-3/4 full seems to be perfect. Its also great if wanting to get off the grid or just get away from electronics. I love the pure simplicity of it and also the versatility. I have the Standard cap, Aluminum stem, WPA and Grav Labs J-hook. I don't use the stem preferring the WPA with glass for the visual feedback. Its awesome with my MFLB orbiter as well. All and all I think its spectacular. The only downside being its hard to share with others due to the learning curve but is still possible with the orbiter because you can just run the torch. I purchased a spare hot plate just in case because I feel this is probably the only thing that can really get damaged due to its thinness. Other than that I think this thing could honestly last someones lifetime. Its probably almost as simple, effective and durable as a good quality hammer. One other thing there little scoop they sell on the lotus site is awesome. It basically measures out a pinch which I love. I use between and 1 and 2 depending on where I want to be. But anyways just wanted to share my experience about this awesome vape with others who are potentially on the fence about this. Its well worth the money as long as you know what it can give and what to expect.

14. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

That's a very nice and succinct summary of what makes the Lotus such a powerful little device. I've also experimented with unground small buds and I think the difference in potency and flavor might have something to do with the trichomes not getting rubbed off during grinding. I think the undisturbed trichomes might retain more flavor and potency.

The Beagle and shmoedog like this.
  15. *plainlazy*

*plainlazy* Well-Known Member

I've just picked up the lotus j hook WPA stem kit. I got it second hand off eBay. I've already got a vapman and 4 vapcaps. I've turned to butane vapes completely now.
    But anyway due to try it for first time tonight. Ive heard a pre heat from cold and then a slow draw is good place to start.

But can I ask the people that bought brand new if you turn your cap over there's a circle metal part that the bowl goes into. Mine turns and is loose rattle a bit. Is this normal or should I some how fix it to the wood of the cap. I hope this makes sense.

I'll report once I've had a draw or 4 lol
    Thanks guys

Edit - I use buds in my vapcaps and half way through the bowl give it a poke and a stir to break the bud up. Can the lotus be used this way it is ground the way forward?

shmoedog and Squiby like this.
  16. Surf Monkey

Surf Monkey Well-Known Member

Grind your Lotus loads and always keep the flame moving. Don't wait for a red spot. You'll combust that way.

The Lotus is the ultimate manual transmission vape. It takes a while to get a hang of it.

HellsWindStaff and *plainlazy* like this.
  17. shmoedog

shmoedog Vape for Life

If I don't wait for a soft red glow I don't get the density of vapor I'm looking for nor am I able to even begin to tan the herb. Though I suspect it may have to do with a difference in individuals draw speeds which is definitely a significant variable:2c:. Perhaps I just draw faster:shrug:.

I was thinking the same kind of thing. Regardless I was very surprised after I tried it after initially not giving the idea much value. Just tried on a whim. Effects much more than expected. Taste amazing :o.

Mine is the same way. It also spins and has a little wiggle room. I believe this to be totally normal with the WPA. It doesn't seem to effect performance. I just bought a vapcap myself. Loving these butane vapes:love:.

18. Gray Area

Gray Area Well-Known Member

I've been enjoying whole buds in my lotus recently.
    Couple of light hits one side, pop it out and flip it over for another one or two. It then gets piped out and crumbled into the palm of my hand, to be sucked back into the bowl.
    Flavour is fantastic... vapour less thick for those first few hits (as to be expected).

@*plainlazy* i know what you mean. My rim around the bottom of the cap became loose, then eventually came off completely. I have an older cap (with the grooves) and it has seen some use for the last couple of years... anyway...

The metal rim has a few raised bits around the inside that make contact with the wood of the cap and keep it in place. It appears there is a dot of some sort of epoxy on each raised bit to help this - looks like the same stuff used to keep the stir stick (unsuccessfully) in place.
    I have some two part epoxy that's used for metal repairs etc so I replaced the (tiny) dot on each raised bit and fixed it back in place. It's now as new and has not become loose again after 6 or so months. :tup:

About the stir stick.. if one of the screws that kept the plate in place was longer (and smooth on the lower part of it) it could screw through the cap and out the bottom to create the stir stick bit, without the risk of it (inevitably) coming out.

19. shmoedog

shmoedog Vape for Life

I've been doing and experiencing almost word for word exactly the same thing with mine. Great effects as well.

Gray Area likes this.
  20. hoptimum

hoptimum Well-Known Member

I expanded my experiment with unground bud-lets to my Silver Surfer, and the outcome was similarly tasty and very concentrated. I might not grind as much for a while and try it with more vapes.

*plainlazy*, Gray Area and shmoedog like this.
  21. colgorkan

colgorkan Well-Known Member

Good to see some new converts. Yep, unground is great. Break it up a bit, take a hit or two to toast and de-carb things, flip the payload into the palm of your hand, run the bottom of the stem over it and suck it back into the bowl. Repeat as necessary. Best vape there is for a quick flower session.

Gray Area and shmoedog like this.
  22. shmoedog

shmoedog Vape for Life

Tonight I collected all the dust and honey from my j-hook and put it on a small bed of herb. Got 10 amazing pulls from that. Then I put some unground in and took 6 light super tasty pulls. Then I ground that up dumped it back in got 4 thicker pulls. I'm waaay medicated at this point. I love this vape for so many reasons. Not the least of which is the whole ritual feel of it. There is just something about how involved it is to use that just makes it fun and effective :o.

23. The Beagle

The Beagle Butanist Bubblemaker

Same here, until I started pushing my Lotus a bit further I couldn't get very thick hits but I always was too close to combustion. Nowadays I prefer to use other vapes with glass (Omnivap with weed due to the click feature and Vapman for concentrates... go team butane!) but the Lotus has become the king of dry hits because of the amazing flavor I can get from it. Unground nugs that gets crushed after some hits. I also prefer a glass j hook (an @Oregonglassblower one) to the metal stem.

24. cybrguy

cybrguy Patience Rewards

Been using my Lotus quite a bit lately to provide some variety. Nothing else I have hits as hard as the RBT vapes other than my Lotus. And its flexibility using with glass is unsurpassed. While I love it on my big pieces where it whites out chambers easily, it is also outstanding on my little ones like this handheld J-Hook.
    Still the hardest hitting flame powered vape I have tried by far.
    [​IMG]

25. *plainlazy*

*plainlazy* Well-Known Member

What's the deal with the high temp cap? Is it for concerntrates? Can you up grade normal cap to high temp cap? Any help would be good thanks

shmoedog, Xelatsok and The Beagle like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors