Discontinued The Hammer Vaporizer

OF

Perhaps you may have a hint about this pair of questions (who to ask about them, etc. Also i'm sure Heat Tools would have a reply). At least i'm hoping it's no trade secret:

Is there contact with the flame (soot)?
What's the vest way to use butane in a radiative heat source? What about the THV for that matter? Etc.

Would it be exagerated to imagine a heat-pipe filled with some oil, transporting heat while leaving behind all potential contaminants simply because those can't pass the barrier in between. It would most likely require careful insulation... I'm not sure i'd want wood in the air/vapour path at such temperatures though!

I really think we've beat this to death.

There is a solid SS tube that runs from one side to the other. The fire is outside it, the air we draw in inside it. The exact same system (called a 'fire box' in the trade) is used in home heaters where the danger is real. That danger is CO poisoning, noting to do with normal combustion of the gas.

Dangers from 'Butane combustion products' are, IMO, imaginary. There is zero evidence. Zero. Raw Butane itself is pretty benign as well, look it up.

I suggest you actually get one and see before getting more upset about it. It's not broken, IMO, it doesn't need fixing.

OF

OO

Technical Skeptical
Hi,

Maybe but i still don't know the answer to a simple question. An "obvious" photograph would clear the matter, no?...

:peace:
I'll get you one, I need to take it apart to fix it, the metal portion has loosened itself a bit, and I will find a way to secure it better.

Butane is a very clean burning gas as far as different fuel sources go, or all of my research has led me to believe.

sadf

It has repeatedly been made clear that there is no direct contact with the flame.

Even if there were, there is no evidence that inhalation of butane exhaust is harmful; it is in fact just water and CO2.

OF

Maybe but i still don't know the answer to a simple question. An "obvious" photograph would clear the matter, no?...

The answer to your specific simple question is NO. There is no contact or soot. Not an issue.

OF

OF,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

I'll get you one, I need to take it apart...

Thanks for that, i depend on Google Images for searches and i suppose i'm not alone...

Butane is a very clean burning gas...

Well, it's something i'm evaluating daily since i'm using a VG pipe!!

It has repeatedly been made clear that there is no direct contact with the flame.

Great news, but i'm not going to ask you on which page to look knowing there's going to be a picture soon anyway.

:nod:

...there is no evidence that inhalation of butane exhaust is harmful...

I believe, even if it's harmless, that future potential customers may still care for detailed information on possible butane-related contaminants (if/when present)... Though it wasn't the main purpose of this question, which i thought was brief and concise. The "radiant" part in my question that followed should have given a hint.

:peace:

Egzoset,

satyrday

If you want to watch this in action, try 'shadow graphs', notice bright sunlight on say smooth concrete after it passes through the gasses around your Hammer. The 'refractive index' of either the exhaust or the butane vapors can be easily seen under good conditions.
At the risk of beating a dead horse (for some) and creating a galloping zombie horse, I will add more to this discussion.

It would be interesting to see how the butane exhaust disperses using a fluorescent additive, like they do for refrigerant leaks in automobiles. Then with a black light you could easily see the cloud and how the butane exhaust moves and where all it lands. Unlike with refrigerants, however, the fluorescent additive would have to be able to survive burning, and I don't know if that is possible.

Studies on full-blown allergies and substance sensitivities can never be all-inclusive because all individual reactions cannot be accounted for using standard population sampling. There are always outliers and you never know when you are talking to one. I miss getting peanuts on airplanes, but over time it has become apparent that those allergies are very real for some. And certain allergies can arise and become more prevalent in a population over time, whereas once they were rare.

satyrday,
Reactions: OF

Tweek

Butane does not enter the airpath at all. However, if you are sensitive to its odor, then look elsewhere...if you angle it the wrong way, you may smell and taste its exhaust. Otherwise, by design, there is no way raw butane gas is ever entering your airpath.

OF

It would be interesting to see how the butane exhaust disperses using a fluorescent additive, like they do for refrigerant leaks in automobiles. Then with a black light you could easily see the cloud and how the butane exhaust moves and where all it lands. Unlike with refrigerants, however, the fluorescent additive would have to be able to survive burning, and I don't know if that is possible.

Interesting idea. I was thinking of using an IR sensitive camera, the exhaust is going to be orders of magnitude hotter. Imaging systems capable of finding 98.6 degree people on a 70 degree day can find 1200 F exhaust from out little friend you'd think. Maybe even a cell phone camera in a dark room? Those things see near IR.....

OF

satyrday

if you are sensitive to its odor, then look elsewhere...
You won't be tearing me away from my Hammer! I've worked around the issues, but it is still a good geek-time debate I feel, since not all questions are answered in my mind.

Interesting idea. I was thinking of using an IR sensitive camera, the exhaust is going to be orders of magnitude hotter. Imaging systems capable of finding 98.6 degree people on a 70 degree day can find 1200 F exhaust from out little friend you'd think. Maybe even a cell phone camera in a dark room? Those things see near IR.....

OF
Do we need to create our own Consumer Reports type lab for rigorous testing? Maybe on that desert island...

satyrday,

sadf

So, this thing sounds all good but what complaints do people have with it? After all, nothing is perfect. The Hammer looks good but I haven't really seen it mentioned outside this thread.

The only portable competitors I've been considering are either constantly out of stock or require an add on package which puts the price in LSV territory and at that point, well, why not just get the LSV. :p

sadf,

satyrday

So, this thing sounds all good but what complaints do people have with it? After all, nothing is perfect. The Hammer looks good but I haven't really seen it mentioned outside this thread.

The only portable competitors I've been considering are either constantly out of stock or require an add on package which puts the price in LSV territory and at that point, well, why not just get the LSV. :p
Besides using butane, which will not be a problem for most, the other issue is that some people say the trigger is a little stiff and hard to hold down for long periods.

I have no complaints really, since as I mentioned previously, I keep it at arm's length while firing due to the butane exhaust smell, and just use the standard straws, which never come in close proximity until it's time to hit. And the trigger is fine by me.

There may be a little stigma around these parts because it is flame-based, which may be too closely associated with combustion for some? Though combustion with this device hasn't happened to me. Speaking of... it is the kind of "analog" vape that requires you to judge the heat - not thermostat controlled like a lot of the higher tech whiz-bangs. Last possible negative I can think of is that it does make a torch-whoosh sound when lit, which may make it less discreet than other vapes.

For that insta-stone, wide-spectrum cannabinoid, OO-x-factor experience, it is a wonder!

hoyo77

Does the hammer come pre-filled with butane. I just got mine this morning and it looks like there is some butane in it. I have not had a chance to try it out yet as i am at work. Really pleasantly surprised at how small it is. I know there have been tons of pictures posted but until you see it in your own hands you not realize how small it is. I love the case! i may have to leave work early i am so anxious!!!!

hoyo77,

satyrday

Does the hammer come pre-filled with butane. I just got mine this morning and it looks like there is some butane in it. I have not had a chance to try it out yet as i am at work. Really pleasantly surprised at how small it is. I know there have been tons of pictures posted but until you see it in your own hands you not realize how small it is. I love the case! i may have to leave work early i am so anxious!!!!
Mine did have butane in it. Didn't expect that. Maybe so they could better control purging issues.

Yes, the size is surprisingly small. When I first heard "hammer," my mind conjured up something bigger.

satyrday,
Reactions: hoyo77

hoyo77

yeah i know. even when seeing the pictures i was thinking it would be bigger. I hope it packs a punch like everyone is saying. i cannot wait to get home from work!

hoyo77,
Reactions: satyrday

satyrday

yeah i know. even when seeing the pictures i was thinking it would be bigger. I hope it packs a punch like everyone is saying. i cannot wait to get home from work!
Stop hoping and start doping! (OK maybe put in your day of work first)

satyrday,
Reactions: hoyo77

OF

I hope it packs a punch like everyone is saying. i cannot wait to get home from work!

It does, trust us.

No need to wait.....think 'toothache'?

On the topic of coming filled with gas, that's generally not allowed by shipping regulations (for the obvious reasons). However, it's a bad thing to not have pressure inside (invites leaks and contamination) so ideally I think it should come with at least a little bit there.

It has to be filled and leak checked as part of the manufacturing process anyway, it's fine by me if they get a little sloppy dumping the charge before shipment.....I'm not going to kick or even bring the topic up.

OF

OF

lol...damn my tooth is hurting really bad!!!

Hey, it's not polite to be grumpy around others, best go home and be miserable in private, they'll surely appreciate that (even if they don't thank you openly).

Besides which, as a fellow I used to work with was fond of saying 'who wants to waste sick leave when you don't feel good?'.

Enjoy the Hammer. Keep an eye on the fuel level. It takes a little playing to get a handle on it, but it does perform....

OF

OF,
Reactions: OO

hoyo77

Thanks OF...i have been vaping for a number of years..i own a bunch..1st edition vapir, vapor brothers, aromazap, supreme vape 1&2, evolutions VII, lifesaber, and the cloud exhale. hopefully my learning curve will not be too bad. this looks like something that i will be traveling with as i do not like taking my cloud out of the house.

hoyo77,

OO

Technical Skeptical
For that insta-stone, wide-spectrum cannabinoid, OO-x-factor experience, it is a wonder!
It is sufficient, that being said my original vape still blows this one out of the water in that respect. I would recommend the experience of the hammer over my old school vape though, as that vape can literally paralyze you. It's tendency is towards a heavier experience, one I want to endure far less often than the light, creative experience I can easily achieve with the hammer.

My complaints are as follows. Glass is fragile, and you must press the trigger hard, AND quickly. The cover once burnt a little.

You don't hear about it often because it isn't fancy, it's crude, and therefore has a long learning curve. I personally feel it's far more rewarding for other reasons though, like its reliability, short charge time, customizability, portability, and selectivity regarding which compounds enter my system. The only problem with the final aspect is it takes time to learn this, it will be some amount of time (a couple months in my case (and I'm a quick learner) to get it dialed), that being said, I know approximately how to achieve each effect with consistency at this point, so if anyone is curious I can elaborate.

Celebrating 500 Hammer thread posts!!!

Top Bottom