1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Mr Mellish

Mr Mellish Well-Known Member

I've finally put in RMA requests for my original (May 2016) GH's. To say I'm nervous is a bit of an understatement.

Ti -- cop lights when I turn it on
    SS -- gets BLAZING hot, even though I shut it off between draws

Fingers crossed that all goes smoothly and I get satisfactory resolution!

2. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

If it helps put you at ease about it, I've had nothing but good experiences with warranty service. I have needed repairs too many times, yes. But each time has been fine.
    Remember to order any batteries or accessories you may want so you can get free shipping when they send all back. You can inquire about that in the rma dialog area, and they will advise procedure.
    Best of luck!

3. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Just checking in. I've been using my preorder days SS GH and it's been putting in work with the new batteries. I found that I cannot use my Ti PFE in it because it won't thread, it just falls right into the threads and does hook on to them. It's weird because my Ti mouthpiece on my purple Ti, not PFE mouthpiece, threads into the SS but not the TI PFE.

4. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

Hear ye heat ye!

The champion is dead!

R.I.P
    2016 Oct - 2017 Sept
    He will be dearly missed but not forgotten as he will RISE AGAIN with what seams like a heater update and freshly powdered battery terminals​

But like a true hopper owner .. This is not my only vape :D

Hitting the Stickybrick as we speak, ISO washing the hopper mouthpiece and sending it tomorrow, going to ask if I can skip sending mouthpiece, also I know all my batteries are good.

Going to use the change to get the new bong mouthpiece and some new batteries

EDIT: MOTHERFUCKER .. it just came alive again after me sucking hard on the front, did revive it shortly earlier but then died, tried the same but died again in a bit, now I manage to turn it on couple of times and getting the heater running, curse you hopper because I wanted an excuse to get the new front end, and also getting the new heater unit everyone is talking about

though no idea if the performances is better or worse

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
  5. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Something very similar happened to me however mine has been going so long that I wasn't looking forward to sending it in, I'm afraid I'll get one that will give me issues.

JCat, MoltenTiger and Hjalmark like this.
  6. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I finally sent into Hopper Labs for a warranty request. I cleaned my GH and packed it up this evening for its trip back to Colorado. Hoping that it gets fixed and it lasts for a while.

I don't know how some of you have dealt with like 7 warranties. FC members are determined and we want to get our money's worth.

JCat, GreenHopper, Baron23 and 6 others like this.
  7. Hjalmark

I am 100% it particles in the heat sensor as I manage to give my hopper the "suck of life" and bring it back to life

8. ktmstick

ktmstick Well-Known Member

I agree also, I managed to revive mine multiple times with blowing/sucking, also with iso soaks up to the holes but every time it died again. Was sent a new body and has been flawless now for over a month. In fact I'd say it's better now than it ever was.

grokit, JCat, GreenHopper and 4 others like this.
  9. PPN

PPN Fleurs&Vapeur

A few weeks ago I posted here some issues I got with my second hand dark grey Ti Grasshopper and got some good advices and helps!

First, I got a bad charger and @Razshiro was nice to send me another one which works.
    And I got a sort of very fast flashing (red/blue) which seems to be the overheated pattern, since I use it differently (in fact more like it was built!) and avoid back to back hits.
    Finally, I cleaned pretty well the threads and it appears to fix my overheating issue as well it increase battery life now I can get 12-25 hits per battery it depends the battery, the hits length and the heating level I use.

So, I'm very happy with this vape and it is a keeper!

JCat, GreenHopper, Vapetrees and 3 others like this.
  10. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

Yep! "Suck of life" works on my ss.

Last Friday morning the ss hopper
    went straight to blue and no heat:( it then worked on and off during the the day til Saturday morning i gave it the mightiest suck off my lungs it heats up again, been "testing" 4-5 bowls a day since:)
    This ss hopper got a replacement body about a year ago after 1 month of ownership and i use the ss in between with the ti hopper but the last 3 months mainly the ss, got to save 1 known working hopper for a rainy day even though i got other vaporizers.
    Have a nice day and hopper on stoners :peace:

11. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Yeah same problem my Ti had, I had to remove the screen in the oven and ISO clean it. It's been free of problems ever since.

JCat and Hjalmark like this.
  12. vapviking

HL suggests that to empty Hopper, rap it on something wooden (i.e. solid enough to shock it but the wood won't scratch or dent your Hopper body). I think this is to help dislodge particles that might be (or might want to be) accumulating below the screen. I do this and then give a big draw on the chamber, with no mp in place, after just about every bowl.
    This seemed to be keeping my Hoppers trouble free, at least up until my forced break began a little over 100 days ago!.......:ugh:

grokit, Vapor_Eyes and Hjalmark like this.
  13. Hjalmark

That forced break sounds not so great .. actually sounds fucking awful
    Hope you survive!

Maybe hopper should design the new hoppers so you can also screw out the heater and thus the battery terminal for cleaning?

Next time it dies I am going to take it out to the tool shed and blast it with the air compressor

14. ktmstick

ktmstick Well-Known Member

I did that after a 1 hour iso soak up to holes and it fixed it for about 2 chambers then it died again.

Hjalmark likes this.
  15. CarolKing

CarolKing Singer of songs and a vapor connoisseur

I am feeling a bit quilty. I took my GH to the post office to ship back to Hopper Labs. When the postmaster asked if I had a lithium battery inside my package I said no. I didn't want her asking any questions about the package. Now I'm worried maybe I should have told her that I did have a lithium battery in my package.

What do you guys say when they ask about the lithium battery?

grokit, JCat, Hjalmark and 4 others like this.
  16. namasteIII

namasteIII Well-Known Member

Always no. Don't worry friend you'll be fine 100%

grokit, JCat, Baron23 and 5 others like this.
  17. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Same here I always say no and don't feel bad.

18. vapviking

I have told that same little lie several times now, and I'm guilt-free.
    If your concerns are karmic, I'd say they are mildly valid; if temporal.....meh...:|

JCat, duff, Hjalmark and 1 other person like this.
  19. mulciber

mulciber Member

I'd like to ask a question about batteries: I've been rotating the same three batteries for about a year. I have a bunch of fresh ones, but I figured I'd squeeze the last out of the old ones first. Can anyone tell me when to just throw in the towel on old batteries? I notice that at this point, for at least one of them, a good, full charge will only get me through one chamber. I assume it means that battery is totally played. But are there any "rules of thumb"?

MoltenTiger and Hjalmark like this.
  20. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I've found they get noticeably bad, and at that point they might as well be replaced.
    It's a process, back in the day the measured average capacity was close to 500mAh. That's not a lot to play with. Every recharge the capacity falls. At some point, it's useless. It varies a lot with the hopper batteries, some are great some are shit. All of them will die after a short-ish lifespan. They're rated at 100-250 charge cycles.

My rule of thumb would be to purchase a new batch when I can only get 1 or 1.5 chambers from a battery. Once they get to that point, they won't last long and they're frustrating to use anyway.

The weakest cells will soon report being full in a charger but will cause flat battery red lights in the hopper. The strongest batteries hold a charge but the blue LED stutters and ABV suffers.

Proper batteries make all the difference.
    I bought 3 new ones recently when using warranty, and 4 that I've just received also after warranty. I've kept 2 sealed as 5 is ample, and at some point they'll be needed replacements or simply good for reference.

I've generally gotten 8-12 months from a GHB using my hoppers daily

grokit, Vapor_Eyes, duff and 4 others like this.
  21. mulciber

mulciber Member

Thanks! Terrific information. I've been out of touch, but I recall reading that Hopper Labs is planning to bring out a dedicated charger. Should allow me to better organize my cycling. Thanks again!

MoltenTiger, Hjalmark and GreenHopper like this.
  22. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

Did you get the printed bubbler from dgfeeder also? It's no longer shown on his ebay page if so. I carry a ddaves female cooler with me, but that would be great if it doesn't hold smell when used dry.

I'll be ordering a feeder just because it looks so damn handy for on the go.

I've had my SS for about a month now. It that time, I've grown to appreciate it. It's unfortunate that my Ti has never worked nearly as well. If I thought I could get $100 for my Ti, I'd sell it and take my chances until their next sale, when I'd buy another SS.

Have to say, it does hold the heat longer, but the trade off for not having to clean the back end threads on the Ti daily to get it to work is more than worth it :tup:

MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and Hjalmark like this.
  23. mulciber

mulciber Member

Have others also observed that the SS is better on electronic issues than the Ti?

I ask because I have two Ti's but was recently asked by a complete novice whether they should get a GH, and I knew if it went south I'd hear about it in a way I didn't want to, so I advised against. It's obvious I love the device and I'm willing to put up with its uncertainties, but I couldn't suggest it to a novice.

Is there any consensus that the SS holds up better on those ancillary issues?

Thanks!

24. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

I can only speak from my limited experience with my two GH's, and I don't think it's a Ti vs SS debate. This thread is filled with both good and bad for both. It just happens that my Ti has never functioned as well as my SS did out of the box and still does.

As for the lack of a recommendation, I have and will continue to reply the same as you did. I have let others try them and they all like them. Then I give them a realistic expectation and tell them if it's your first or only, look elsewhere. I've seen the comments that they should just buy two, and I am in a completely different camp. I do have two, but I have a vaping allowance for myself and a decent and still growing shelf to fall back on if it/they go bad. Truth is, if the SS starts to act like my Ti, I'm done. I love it when it's working, but other than weekends away, I shouldn't have to carry two to ensure I have use of one..... just my :2c:

JCat, MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and 5 others like this.
  25. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I say "No"

This is exactly the way I play also...only experience vaporists with multiple vapes and only with full knowledge of what they might be getting into wrt to RMAs.

This has been going on a loooooong time. This lack of a reputation for reliability will kill them if not changed. And to change a bad rep, you need real good, demonstrated performance and wrt to reliability, we have not seen that yet.

Note; yes, I totally discount their % failure figures as they give no time component and they know as well as I that there is NO valid reliability figures without a time and/or population value.

Its a shame. Not just the failure rate on first time failures, but they are still returning RMA's devices that....don't work or fail again quickly. Sad.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    JCat, MoltenTiger, Vapor_Eyes and 4 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors