1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. virtualpurple

virtualpurple Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying about a lower price with costs for each service but I think I would much rather pay more up front for a reliable device that doesn't require so many trips for servicing.

I agree with you though that it'd probably make a bit more sense to charge more on the front end and just include the PFE.

They actually would probably be better served to design a PFE that could thread or friction fit a removable cap that appears like the standard mouthpiece so that folks can have the stealth aspect covered while taking advantage of the overall improved performance of the PFE.

Hell, why not increase the ability to blend in a little more, have a small tip barely protruding from that friction fit cap so it appears that the pen is clicked out and ready to jot a note.

The hollowed out space could even be used to carry a little nug or ground herb. Kinda nice to have 2 bowls instead of 1.

2. frank grimes

frank grimes Active Member

Quick question for those who have had to send back their grasshopper.

I'm from Canada and I need to send my unit back for a fix but want no trouble from the border. When the post office asks what is in the package I'm sending, is it ok to say it's a pen vape?

Marijuana is not legal yet in Canada so I don't know what the rules are for paraphernalia. Anyone know if there's anything I need to look out for? Is ok for me to be upfront with what I'm sending?

Hogni and Hjalmark like this.
  3. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

Hey there,

I have called it an e-cig atomizer. Also, make sure you put on the package that it is a RMA so you will not be charged for customs and duties on its returned, keep a copy of your receipt. And Canada Post will not mail lithium ion batteries, so make sure you don't have them in the package when sending to Hopper Labs.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Vapor_Eyes and Hjalmark like this.
  4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Electronic Health Device

5. OldNewbie

OldNewbie Well-Known Member

Controller parts.

Vapor_Eyes and Hjalmark like this.
  6. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

I mailed mine from Sweden under "vaporizer" as they think it's an e-cigarette thanks to this guy
    [​IMG]
    But think writing e-cigarette and making sure that bowl and frontend are clean with ISO, also taking the front end apart when cleaning to make sure no residue is left.

CarolKing, Hogni, MoltenTiger and 2 others like this.
  7. frank grimes

Thanks guys.

Tiny88, hopper labs is asking me to send them my pen, charger and battery. So what to do if I don't send them my battery? I asked Caroline if there's anything I should look out for and she said she never had any problems with packages being shipped from Canada. And how do I put on my package that it's a RMA? Just write it on the outside of the package? What if I used fedex or ups? Are their rules different?

CarolKing, Hogni and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  8. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

I emailed Caroline back to let her know that Canada Post doesn't allow batteries in their packages. The last time I sent my GH back to Hopper Labs, I wrote on the package a list of contents including the battery, Canada Post employee made me open the package and remove the battery before sending it through. I guess the other option is to send the GH with the battery in it and don't mention anything. I would rather be transparent just in case.

I don' know about using other delivery companies.

CarolKing, Hogni and Vapor_Eyes like this.
  9. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

FWIW, I decided that there are two types of GH batteries that I may have in rotations: The first type are fresh, not nearly approaching their half-life (ie, new). The second type are the ones that are past their half-life, or, old, but not quite ready to toss.

Type 1 will go out with me; Type 2 will stay at home and spend more time on the Hopper charger as I hit it throughout the day.

Marking them used to be a pain in the ass, because even a perma-marker will rub off eventually. So I found the spot that works for me. The mark doesn't get rubbed off, or touched really, in any way, as it is sitting in the recess of the battery. Sorry about the potato quality pic.

[​IMG]

Only one Type gets the mark.... so I always know which of the two types I am using.

Hope it offers some food for thought.

10. MonkeyTime

MonkeyTime Well-Known Member

I really like the idea!

But I'll probably keep numbering mine. I've proven to myself that these batteries are crazy inconsistent, but can't stop monitoring them anyways.

My last batch, 4 batteries that all went into service at the same time and got the same usage -all started with vastly different specs, none would charge over 4.16v which was new. A month in, two of them drop to about 3.7v after one load, the other two stay around 4.0v.

If I only colored them as poor grade, I'd never realize how fast some are failing. But you're right about the area, it's perfect for marking....... Counted hash marks it may be from now on!

+1 rep for you brother!

MoltenTiger, JoeMama, duff and 4 others like this.
  11. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I like Joe's system because it's pretty fooproof, binary.
    The battery is either fit for travel or relegated to home use-only status.
    As long as you can remember which is which...

12. frank grimes

That's good to know...so what did Caroline say when you notified her that shipping the battery wasn't allowed? Do they really need my battery?

13. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

You're right about the inconsistency. Hash marks around the recessed circle is a good idea! Even one semi-circle versus a full circle of marking would be adequate. :tup:

14. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

She didn't mention anything about the battery. They can test your GH with their batteries. I guess they just want to determine what is causing you problems.

15. btka

btka Well-Known Member

you are not he first person who could not send his battery... tell caroline that you are not allowed to send it... should not be a problem... the only problem when you are not sending your battery is that hl can not check your battery and if it is the problem... but I would suggest anyway to order some new batteries, if you tell them they will send them baclk with your rma and you do not have to pay for postage....

CarolKing, Hjalmark, Tiny88 and 2 others like this.
  16. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

I have always had to return my hoppers sans battery. Last return I only sent the mid sections and back-end back. I don't think this made any price difference with postage though, but not having the front-end, it just looks like an industrial part or incomplete pen. Not that it matters, postage people don't care. I declare it as a Vaporizer Pen on paper but never have to say much to the cashier scanning it in. I also usually get them to parcel it up, and none of them have had any hesitation or reaction whatsoever (cannabis has a pretty negative stigma here, still I've never ISO cleaned a unit before postage just used a HL zip-lock and some bubble wrap). Fits in the smallest, cheapest satchel and arrives after a week or so from Aus.
    I love how post-colonial it all is, despite the durability, this is what technology was invented for. Civilised.

I'm currently enjoying the first hopper kief bomb I've had for some time.
    The GH is the ducks nuts and worth hanging in there for.

It's basically a low temp Sublimator hit from a pen.
    And with barely any impracticality. :nod:
    That's a lot to love

slcbdco, CarolKing, Al.. and 8 others like this.
  17. btka

btka Well-Known Member

I bought today a longer ss drip tip (you can find them in e-cig stores)... I use it on the pfe front end, it fits... and it cools the vapor very good (I can take long fast rips on temp.5. ... like with my bubbler, also it does not really get hot...

I like my ghs, they are my favorite vaporizers.... and my last rma was 8 months ago.... but I am using them not exclusively...

18. Vapetrees

Vapetrees Vaped Out

Yeah same here. The GH to me is my favorite from my Solo, Pax2, Vapcap M, and Mighty. The Mighty potency is something else though, and that is why I prefer the GH since I can microdose more easily. Often I quit my session when using the Mighty because it's so potent. Since the cooling unit works so well, often I don't realize how big of a draw I just had.

slcbdco, CarolKing, Hjalmark and 3 others like this.
  19. Hawk

Hawk Well-Known Member

Not being able to ship lithium batteries is completely incorrect. Airmail you cannot send lithium batteries. Ground shipping is not an issue. The Canada Post worker who told you you couldn't ship it is wrong. I, plus almost every person, has received items that contain lithium batteries. All my vape stuff I order online that comes with lithium batteries or individual 18650's are shipped through Canada Post. Every cell phone that is shipped too you has a lithium battery plus a ton of other devices.

So no it is not a problem shipping lithium batteries and whoever told you that was dead wrong. Just put it in the package a ship it. You don't even have to mention a battery since it is a part of the vaporizer.

Did you not wonder how GL was able to ship the GH to you with batteries?

CarolKing, Hjalmark and Tiny88 like this.
  20. Tiny88

Tiny88 Deluxe420

I had the Hopper shipped to my P.O Box in the US. The Canada Post employee told me that devices where the battery is affixed to them is okay, its the removable batteries that they have a problem with. As for cellphones I buy it at a local retailer so no shipping required.

CarolKing, Hjalmark and Hogni like this.
  21. sauhamm

sauhamm Active Member

on the flavor topic - i run my hopper with a fresh load at the very first heat setting... on 1 the flavor is intense, nuanced, layered... especially with some of the more terpy strains

you don't see much in the way of exhale but you don't need to, this is all about that taste.

after a few pulls on 1 and 2 then it's time for the effects and up the temp goes to 3-4-5 ... usually 1 good long (20 second) pull at each setting... by that point i'm well into the upper reaches of our atmosphere and i'm usually waving at the inhabitants of the ISS :)

hopping since dec of 2016 without a single problem, i love this thing!

22. frank grimes

I asked again at the post office and someone else said too. She said I can send up to 2 batteries but they have to be installed.

I guess it depends who is serving you. I read the policy myself and that's how I understood it to be too. Up to 2 batteries affixed. I think the other postal service rep who told me none at all is wrong cuz she looked new on the job. But whatever...I talked to Caroline from hopper and she said its ok not to send the battery. I'm not going to bother then...just don't want some newbie at customs who's not sure of the regulations to hold up my package.

CarolKing, Hjalmark, Hogni and 4 others like this.
  23. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

You can ship/surface post batteries but typically you can't post them via air - which is the only reasonable option when returning a hopper from an international destination.

HL don't declare their batteries, that's why they arrive via air. It's basically a grey area, but I'm not going to take that risk myself. They do, which is awesome. A lot of businesses do, the ruling is all about insurance costs and is pushed through because a plane caught fire mid air in the US.

Their stipulation pushed through actually heghtens any risk, as an undeclared battery has no guarantee to be packed properly. It's not really that risky an item a battery, but fair enough if the pilots don't want even the tiniest risk.

You can declare them as a dangerous good, but I was quoted 3 months before arrival from Tasmania. Surface posting is ridiculous for an item of the hoppers size. HL are happy to receive the device sans battery if you're international, send it without it and then tell them. They'll sort it out without a hassle

CarolKing, btka, vapviking and 4 others like this.
  24. btka

btka Well-Known Member

one thing I do not understand why do ghl do not release new accessories like the stainless steel case or an adapter (do not know how to call it exactly) which mimics the battery and makes the gh a desktopvape and also what is up,with the concentrate front end... would bring them some extra cash...I would have more ideas for accessories .. can not be that they are not able to invent this accessories or is the problem the manufacturing of this accessories or money... I do not understand ghl...

MoltenTiger, CarolKing and Hjalmark like this.
  25. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

I am a hardcore Grasshopper fanboy but I no understand..

Maybe hopper labs are artistic?

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors