1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Actually since it wasn't registered....there was no $45 fee. If I lost the box ID or if it was registered to someone else, it would have cost me $45 for the transfer.

Check out my posts over the past few pages.... I feel their spirit of generosity loud and clear, however you are right with the inconsistency....hopefully they will remain consistent on this $45 and not on a case by case basis.

I also forgot to add grind consistency. I switched to a coarser grind for better airflow and flavour, but the clouds took a pretty significant hit. Just went back to my Kannastor GR8TR and OMG! Clouds are now so thick you can chew on them! Crappier airflow, but that can be adjusted with load size, pack, etc.

And lastly, the BATTERY! Duh! :doh: I just took what looked like a decent hit, and then I notice the blue flickering....so before it even turns red, swap out batteries, and OMG! Now THAT'S a REAL HIT!

My wife's brand new Mighty has been put aside....I just can't get the clouds like the GH can deliver! With the Mighty I can get skim milk, but with the GH it is unscathed full fat milk! So thick you can't see through it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. VegNVape

VegNVape BBC Computer 32K Company Rep

Affirmative.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Hand, scratch & silicone free, Hopper+Bubbler in matrimony!

That's my TonG! :tup:
    (& it ain't gone 'Pete' yet!)

:peace:

3. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I have had my grasshopper for a little more than two years. Not only do I only almost never use water, I now find "cooler" vapor unsatisfying. For example I rarely use my e-cig, as it's just not as viscerally satisfying as a cigarette. As for cannabis I also have a pax2 and a firefly2. I use my pax2 for vaping tobacco primarily mixed with other herbs, and unlike an e-cig the "harshness" (not the word I would use) of the pax2 is far more satisfying than an e-cig.

Although the first hit or so is amazing flavor I still prefer the Grasshopper experience to the Firefly2.

The point being vapor quality is subjective. Some people love the almost cold vapor of e-cigs and what the same in a cannabis vape. For myself, there is a visceral aspect to the grasshopper experience and vapor like it that I actually prefer, which is why I only use water with the GH when i'm looking for a vlomunis hit, otherwise I prefer the straight to the dome technique

4. biohacker

Nothing like that "snap crackle pop" sound of your flowers melting! Do you guys hear it too? The only other vape I remember hearing it with is the E-Nano. Sounds like a fire crackling for a few seconds! This on temp 5, through water....and I think it's the slower draw that causes it.

Another thing I love about these thick milky water hits.... I am sometimes able to "chew" the vapour, it's so thick, and I can even feel the oil stick to my teeth sometimes....love it!

That TonG Sub reducer looks awesome! I don't care about scratches, so i'm using mine raw in a 14mm joint, sometimes i'll use the silicone, but mostly i'll just jam it in there and go. The SS won't really be affected by it, and the Ti I have noticed some scratches, but nothing significant. I always get a seal that's good enough to milk hard!

I'm done with kief compartments! Back to 3 piece style! Much preferred for this HopperHead!

5. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Oldest boy alive

Front end lights tell you the readiness of your heater and the backend heats up to tell you the battery is empty

over and out.

slcbdco likes this.
  6. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Bio, I'm glad you're back up and running!

I wish I could say this, but the raw Ti is definitely consistently giving only moderate clouds at T5 on the same flower stash that's been giving great performance prior.

GHL says to send it in for diagnostic.. they still have the other one. I'll wait... I'll settle with poor convection than going back to my Pax!

Hey I got those socks for Christmas from my very cool niece! :tup::clap:

7. beiberhole69

beiberhole69 Sexual Maven

looks like i'm getting a hopper111111

it only comes with one battery though

best place to get one is the hl website?

8. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Congrats!
    Yep!

Hjalmark, MoltenTiger and biohacker like this.
  9. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Pro tip,
    Don't rush to register your Hopper. You can open account to purchse goods, get mailings, etc., but don't need to register the device if it doesn't need service. Keep the alpha numeric code from the box, you need that and Hopper sn from unit when time comes to register.

This leaves you option to sell should you want to, a unit still with lifetime warranty. Even if it breaks, you can still retrieve value if you sell.
    All this said, you might just fall in love with the thing as some of us have.

Have fun!

voodoo_vape, Hjalmark, ooo and 7 others like this.
  10. biohacker

What an awesome product. You can sell a BROKEN grasshopper as long as it hasn't been registered and still get great value back!

Will my honeymoon ever end? I don't even LOOK at the Mighty anymore. All I need is my two hoppers and VAS hasn't even been brought up anymore?

@Mr. Me2 are you feeling me the same way with your Crafty dude?

voodoo_vape, Hjalmark, ooo and 5 others like this.
  11. vapviking

The Mighty still plays a major role in my house, or car, or...
    Having two Hoppers in the mix, there's so much variety of experience available between these and Mighty.
    It's the Pax2 that rarely sees the light of day!
    I'm going to start lending Pax2 out to friends, to entice them to fuck combustion. Original Pax did that for me and I'm eternally grateful.
    @Mr. Me2 ? How about your Pax2 use? (we've been on similar trajectory with these 3 products!)

12. biohacker

The Mighty is a great vape, but for me only with a muzzmod, and even then I would reach for the GH instead.
    Have any of you used hash in the GH without flower? Thinking about just breaking bits off and trying my luck at 210c through water.

Hjalmark and MoltenTiger like this.
  13. travis

travis Well-Known Member

My hopper can sometimes be a blue flickering mess even with a full battery. I typically get about 6 hits out a battery so it's not worth sending it in... yet.

On tip I've noticed is that I can get more juice out if I slightly unscrew the backend by only a millimeter or so when I'm hitting it. It sounds weird but the flickering will stop and I (think?) get a bigger hit. I assume it's due to a better conduction path for the threads. Sometimes I can twist the backend back and forth when I'm hitting to "find" a sweet spot with solid blue lights.

Anyone with a flickering hopper, please give this a shot and see if you get similar results.

14. biohacker

Sounds exactly like the two new ones I received the other week! Hopefully they refine the backend so this issue goes away for good. I think the flickering blue limits performance from my experience.

MoltenTiger likes this.
  15. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

Just tried it and it worked! Not too bad of a workaround too really.

Finally got over the shipping costs and paid HL to ship me 5 batteries. For future reference to any other Aussies... Caroline said 12 batteries max at $40 USD shipping. If anyone wants to organize a group buy in future send me a PM!

16. biohacker

Hjalmark likes this.
  17. btka

btka Well-Known Member

yes this helps if blue light is flickering...

18. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

Hey @biohacker and @vapviking - both my Crafty and pax2 have basically been gathering dust since I got my gh. I just LOVE this thing...

Having said that and as I recently posted, I feel like its performance has dropped off recently. I'm about to try a temp 5 burn off to see if that helps.... Or maybe I'm just finally out of the honeymoon stage (but I kinda doubt it).

And I'm preparing to cheat on my beloved gh. I've been reading tons about the Vapcap. Got my first one but haven't tried it yet (I've been sick...). I'm looking forward to seeing if it's a gh killer, not my cup of tea (which I seriously doubt), or if it becomes part of a rotation. When I first got the gh, there was nothing else I wanted to rotate with (particularly for solo sessions). But I have high hopes for the Vapcap.

Squiby, Hjalmark, btka and 6 others like this.
  19. biohacker

Have high hopes my friend, by a GH killer? I'm pretty sure we both know the answer to that.

voodoo_vape, Hjalmark, btka and 2 others like this.
  20. Hogni

Hogni Honi soit qui mal y pense

Do you know really? Dont know :hmm: The VC will problably be my next investment.

1) At least it's said to be one of the best choices for vaping hash.
    2) Definetely it belongs to every pothead's survival kit: Simple torching, hardly space-consuming
    3) Possibilities of mix and match with nice a/o useful parts are endless
    4) Its tiny and handsome - and I love handsome things and people

But no more religious wars......

vapen00b, voodoo_vape, Squiby and 2 others like this.
  21. vapviking

Have you tried a relatively new battery? I think tired older battery, even fully charged, can lead to poor performance. This has a way of creeping up on you, or at least it does for me.

separate question, for 'all'. Does Nitecore D2 have a way of telling us when a battery might suck? Or might be starting to suck?

Hjalmark, biohacker and MoltenTiger like this.
  22. Mr. Me2

Mr. Me2 Well-Known Member

I agree that worn batteries may affect performance. I'm waiting for an order of new batteries now. Can't wait to see if you're right!

Hjalmark, btka, biohacker and 2 others like this.
  23. natural farmer

natural farmer Well-Known Member

They compliment each other amazingly but killer? Nope... Maybe better for hash. Not sure. Haven't tried hash in the Hopper and I wouldn't without something to cover the screens. It's gonna get messy!!!

voodoo_vape, Squiby, Hjalmark and 3 others like this.
  24. tubasco

tubasco Well-Known Member

Hey all. I've done a search but can't find the thread...this is a particularly strange subject to run a search on, so I'm hoping someone remembers:

I have a backup SS eBay bobs Saab hopper. Occasionally when I screw in the backend the blue light will come on for a brief moment when I have about 2 turns left. This behavior doesn't happen with my Green Ti or my friends SS.

I know I saw this issue reported before...I just didn't pay attention to what or why.

I keep my threads clean...but I did notice on difference between this apparently slightly older model and the others I have and have used: this one has three "tabs" by the magnets in the backend that stick out, when on other backend I've seen these tabs bent down, flush with the magnets. Is it possible that this half a millimeter tab is shorting the system befor final contact is made between the contact and the battery?

Side note: anyone have a hopper body where the positive gold battery contact has seemingly worn away completely yet the hopper still functions normally? I suspect this apparent "wearing away" is what deteriorates the performance over time. I've noticed it correlate with slower heat up times.

Thanks in advance y'all!

Hjalmark and MoltenTiger like this.
  25. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Like a frog in hot water. After 6 months expect solid degradation of batteries (GHB1, my 2's have seen 2 months and still have relatively impressive capacity, easily doing multiple hits probably 4 or 5 chambers so up to a dozen or so bong hits)

I demoed the hopper to quite a few people today, daily bong smokers were impressed and claimed it to be super effective. One is definitely on board, lots of interest overall though.

PS it choked them all out ;)

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors