1. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

GHL says there was nothing wrong with my dark grey Ti... Sent it in with their new backend thinking it was underperforming. I'll have to settle, I guess, until it fails completely.

This is likely, IMO, due to micro-crusty oxidation in the threads, where that kind of twist-tweak commonly works - for me too, at least. Even if I had just cleaned the threads, I still at times have to do a loosen-tighten of the backend threads. OR, it's just the nature of a crappy mechanical connection for electrical conductivity. Sure wish that GHL would come up with a way to avoid that. Not that I have a clue how!

2. beiberhole69

beiberhole69 Sexual Maven

thanks for the tips, i'm buying it used though and the warranty has been registered. i hear i can get anew one in my name for 45 bux, but this guy said he's willing to work with me if anything goes wrong, so, we'll see.

Hjalmark, kbrown5523 and MoltenTiger like this.
  3. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Just hit my GH via water tool after cleaning it and forgot to add the water...... WOW! I think i'm going to keep hitting it without water.... how the heck is it smoother?? And the visuals with the way the vapour rises are awesome! Maybe it's the hopper causing the visuals....i'm definitely noticing more effects!

First I trashed the kief screens, now i'm trashing the water and holy cow it's like a brand new vaporizer and stash all over again!

4. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

I was strictly a bong smoker. I wish I would have just gotten a GH first. My Focus Pro hits great through my bubbler and gives me all the same satisfaction of smoking with my bong, but I either vape way more than I need to, or I waste a bunch because I don't vape it. My ESV2 is a great single hitter, but it just doesn't give me the clouds or get me as medicated, and it's super finicky. I can't wait to get my GH and give it a try. I just wish I could have ordered two.

5. moondog

moondog It's an obsession but it's pleasin'

Jumping OT for just a moment:

As a fellow hopper/Focus Pro user, I would most strongly recommend that, if you haven't already, you get your self a couple of these. They allow you to use very small amounts in the Focus while still getting good conduction action, make reloading on the go SUPER easy, and keep your heating chamber nice and clean.

My SS hopper is in the shop on warranty and my TI is drying out after a well-deserved cleaning, so today I'll be firing up my Focus for the first time in weeks. Looking forward to it!

MoltenTiger and kbrown5523 like this.
  6. btka

btka Well-Known Member

also have a vapecap and a gh... it is definitely no gh killer...
    but it is a good vape when there is no electricity...
    The grasshooper is really a game changer!!! No VAS anymore...

ooo, natural farmer, Mr. Me2 and 6 others like this.
  7. kbrown5523

kbrown5523 Hopping in Washington

I got them. I wanted to keep my pro cleaner, but I just can't get near the same clouds or results using them. I was going to bring it up on the focus forum, I think I'll go do that now...

MoltenTiger, Hjalmark and moondog like this.
  8. Hoey420

Hoey420 Well-Known Member

I have vapcap, omni, ti woody but my 2 ghs are the ones I go for!

ooo, MoltenTiger, Mr. Me2 and 6 others like this.
  9. JoeMama

Just a data point for all....

Regarding when GHL tests a Hopper with "diagnostics", I am told by Caroline that:
    The Hopper will change the temperature as you are drawing on it if you move the temp selector (this sentence really makes little sense to me, but...). When I am testing for proper heat settings, I ensure that at each temp setting the temperature increases. I start it off on a low heat setting and then step it up testing to ensure each heat setting increases the temp.

So I'm one of many, I hope, that thinks they're hopper was underperforming but it wasn't.

IS IT POSSIBLE that in a one ounce bag of herb, you could select a sizable bud(s) that would be less potent than the rest of the buds in that ounce? It's the only explanation I can find for why I wasn't getting the clouds I used to get. I'm grasping at straws here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Hjalmark, biohacker and moondog like this.
  10. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I always charge my grasshopper while in the car, it works fine

YUP.

I actually can't even remembered why I ordered a second one during the campaign but I'm glad I did so I'm never sans-hopper

11. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

@biohacker @Hogni
    One of my first bowl on the hopper was hash in cotton fibers and I just murdered and with hash oil ... Its unreal how thick the vapor gets

Also @biohacker damn yeah the dry hits are amazing, remember seeing someone wayback on this thread with a helix hurricane? That dry twirly glass thing, but I love using the hydro tube dry and cold with the hopper

12. KRnoS

KRnoS Well-Known Member

I finally got around and submitted another warranty claim. This time I took a better video of my issue (that I had since I received it):

Click to play YouTube Video

Turning the temp dial causes the unit to have its lights turn on/make noise, etc. The first time I submitted this they said it was normal. Now they want me to send it in for repair, but they said it SHOULD NOT affect the functionality.

Hopefully it comes back as good as new...as opposed to with more issues. I just expect a product to work flawlessly out of the box.

MoltenTiger and biohacker like this.
  13. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

Shit! My screen came loose and I screwed it back in uneven so now it's sticking out enough that I can't screw onto GH fully. This all started because I soaked the damn head!

Going to need some pointy tweezers :(

Hjalmark and biohacker like this.
  14. JoeMama

Damn that would annoy the shit out of me.

Hjalmark, biohacker and MoltenTiger like this.
  15. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Interesting. The first sentence means that it has active adjustment, mid toke you can go from eg. T3.5 to T5 and the hopper will respond instantly. I sometimes do this for the flavour and then the cloud.

It's not only possible to have variance of potency over an Oz but very likely. This has crossed my mind facing similar issues, however I'm of the opinion there is a different variable at play and mostly it's to do with the power source, potentially anyway.
    How old are your batteries now?

Of the 4 batteries I have that no longer work, flickering lights was how they began being noticeably bad. Some from that batch still work reasonably and half don't work at all

Hope you manage to get it square.
    I still haven't taken a screen out because I'd expect I'd do this.
    Good luck

Vapor_Eyes, moondog and biohacker like this.
  16. JoeMama

Thanks, @MoltenTiger ...

I guess I do understand what Was meant..
    I just never thought that, to do the mid-draw adjustment, I'd have to take a heck of a long draw.
    It always seems to me that the first 5 or so seconds, the vapor is just beginning to form!

M batteri s are brand new... for n fact, this round of performance issues began with the notion that it was indeed the batteries, but it wasn't totally remedied when I began replacing; the performance remained erratic even on the new batteries.

Time will tell!

17. beiberhole69

beiberhole69 Sexual Maven

so am i correct to understand that the dial is analog? so you can set it at 3.25 or 3.5 and not just the whole numbers?

Also, is there ANY one out there using it at anything less than 3? i know we're all probably cloud chasers for the most part, but just wondering what the dynamic range is like

18. MoltenTiger

MoltenTiger Well-Known Member

Yeah to get to peak performance it takes about 12 seconds. I have gradually built up the ability to hit the GH for the best part of a minute. I'm unsure this is sensible though, but it sure is fun and I mostly have max 30s rips, and that's with two hoppers to keep the cloud stream worthy.

Ok, well I had flickering lights carry over with one of my hoppers after the upgrade, a back-end replacement fixed it. I've mentioned this to a few people and it seems more common that the body is at fault with similar symptoms.

Yep, analog dial. It's a voltage potentiator handling more amps than normal.

When I demo the hopper, I first offer it as is, no silicone and no glass, set from T1-2.5
    This is to show off the flavour, which is awesome on the lower levels.
    Bongs at T3-3.5 are sooooo super tasty and smooth, level 5 is hectic. One of my good friends yesterday was getting rekt by T5, made him cough a LOT. He's been smoking daily for 6 years or so, 3.8-4.5 is the sweet spot for cleaner rapid extraction with the best tasting most dense clouds.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2017
  19. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

Man....one hopper at the labs infirmary and the backup just disco'd...

cruddin cop lights.

Love this thing and their service is great but can't help but be a lil bummed...

8 warranties 6 month owner.

I hope it all gets figured out but dog knows I'll never stop suckling..

Do I need three?:shrug:

Hopper lifer! :rockon:

20. slick

slick Well-Known Member

I must have misses it somewhere. Where did you get one of these? Is it an 18 mm reducer?

Hjalmark and VegNVape like this.
  21. VegNVape

VegNVape BBC Computer 32K Company Rep

It is indeed an 18mm Teflon reducer.

You can usually find them at Planet Vape . . . . . although they are currently out of stock.

But here's a link anyway:
    http://www.planetvape.ca/sublimator-18mm-teflon-fitting.html

Happy Hoppin'
    :peace:

vapen00b, Steph, slick and 4 others like this.
  22. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

I can hopefully get some tweezers tomorrow but I'm still going to try tonight with a toothpick, a fondue fork and a normal fork I can bend to fit all 3 holes. One way or another I want to fix it without damage.

MoltenTiger, Hjalmark and biohacker like this.
  23. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

I believe it is possible and can happen often.

Steph, JoeMama, MoltenTiger and 2 others like this.
  24. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

Great, i'm starting to notice this on some batteries as well. They have had a couple of previous owners, and i've been putting them through their paces so it may be time. However, sometimes they will start flickering blue, and when I put them on the nitecore d4 they show that they are greater than 50% full?

My wife starts every GH session on 2, and finishes on 3...never strays. On the Mighty she starts at 155c and finishes at 165c. She can only handle low temp hits. I don't go less than 3.5 with the GH.

Precisely! T5 is great, but unless you have the right grind consistency and draw speed, the taste can turn to poopoo quickly resulting in extremely dark ABV. I'm liking 4-4.5 these days...sometimes i'll hit 5.

If it was me, hell yeah! What will do the job as well?

Similar happened to me....the LSV pokey tool saved the day for me. It kept coming loose still and then one day I guess I just reefed on it hard enough and it's never come loose since. NEW GH's have loose front end screens right out of the box! At least one of two of mine did.

25. Hjalmark

Hjalmark Well-Known Member

I used my girlfriends.. Eyebrow hair maintaining tweezer ones that have a slanted tips and that works, but a 1 dollar needle nose tweezer works best
    [​IMG]

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors