1. Interested in a popular vape? Short on time? Be sure to check out the Best Of threads for Plug-Ins and Portables.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. What does SSTB mean? See our glossary of acronyms.
    Dismiss Notice

The Grasshopper

Discussion in 'Portable Vaporizers' started by midgetsanchez, Jun 8, 2015.

1. biohacker

biohacker Fucking Combustion Since 2006

They should be included with the GH retail kits IMO! Could save themselves some front end RMA's :lol:

2. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

Yes I'd love to see a tool included and a spare screen. Why not sell another accessory unless they can't keep up with demand...

Anyway I got the damn thing out and cleaned it up as new. I had tried vaping hashy oil one night and that was like taking a giant shit right in the centre of the screen. I had to scrub it off with the kitchen brush!

I got it back in easily because I kept it warm. Did a few dry hits to heat it up and each time I could turn it just a tad more with a needle. So far I've been able to turn it a tad every hit but I have a sneaky suspicion as I'm removing the head it's coming with it... Precision Tweezers will be required to screw it in super tight!

Oh and I scratched my screen up slightly using a needle so there's another endorsement for using tweezers! And for GHL to start selling replacements!

Here's some pics. Purchased 19/07/2016 from AusVapes. I had maybe a month and a half to two months T break, daily use otherwise!

[​IMG]
    Pretty scuffed up. I don't have a leather case, I use my HTPC keyboard as storage, between the F keys lol.

[​IMG]
    Do my threads look funky to you?

[​IMG]
    Scratch can be seen at very bottom. Minor really...

[​IMG]
    Blu Tak is genius thinking and I do it daily!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  3. biohacker

I found that the harder I tried to turn the screen, the less success I had. When I eased up, it almost becomes somewhat looser and easier to turn. Don't fight it! Congrats on your first GH Front End Surgery. Succcess! I really thought I mangled and wrecked mine, but in the end it's perfect and snug now.

4. vapviking

vapviking Well-Known Member

Always empty the chamber soon after use. Material that cools/hardens can stick the mp screen to the end of chamber. The mp will feel harder to loosen/turn. Then the screen can end up loosening because it's not allowed to turn along with the rotating mp.

5. slick

slick Well-Known Member

I've been following this thread for months now. Loose screens have been a topic for sure, but I must have missed the connection: loose screens cause issues beyond being loose?

biohacker likes this.
  6. vapviking

If mp loosens a little, material will get in threads and prevent mp from screwing all the way into place. Only gets worse until all cleaned and replaced with a firm torque.
    Hopper will still work, so this qualifies as only moderately annoying (usually).

7. guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch Well-Known Member

So i finally got a new GHB2 battery in and well.. it's freeeeakin amazing!! I'm pretty sure units are under-performing when using GHB1. My V.1 still work fine and haven't done a complete comparison(don't have a brand new GHB1 avail) but this is the jam!!

Hjalmark, ooo, MoltenTiger and 2 others like this.
  8. Bdubbdiblets

Bdubbdiblets Well-Known Member

Agreed same experience. I shouldn't have waited as long as I did to get GHB2's...

Hjalmark and MoltenTiger like this.
  9. duff

duff What...is your quest?

So should a custom brush.

Hjalmark, ooo, Steph and 1 other person like this.
  10. travis

travis Well-Known Member

Any specifics? Mine flickers blue even on fresh batteries. I'd like this to stop.

Hjalmark likes this.
  11. guyonthecouch

I've noticed blue flickering goes away after a solid cleaning.

Hjalmark likes this.
  12. Astedra

Astedra Well-Known Member

Any news when they are going to be shipping the stainless steel case? I keep scratching the hopper.

Hjalmark likes this.
  13. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

I went through this same experience, thought I'd screwed up everything... the trick is indeed to go easy. I also found that a couple of sharp quick raps against a solid surface will help "shake" things loose too.

No, but I posted earlier my humble opinion that if they don't change the design to make it NOT perfectly cylindrical, it may be one of those products that you despise when it rolls off the table and onto the floor. For this reason I'm happy the Hopper has a clip to prevent rolling, especially in my slanted world.

Hjalmark, moondog, slick and 2 others like this.
  14. GreenHopper

GreenHopper 20 going on 60

Completely agree, it's also worth pointing out that there are loads of 3rd party vape pen cases out there that are a lot cheaper and available right now.

If you wanna go high end then check out @Ratchett leather hopper case http://delta3dstudios.com/leather-grasshopper-case-small/

Hjalmark, Steph, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  15. JoeMama

JoeMama Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a great case, I have that one. Along with others that haven't made it out of the drawer yet.

But there is one that I use daily and it's the perfect leather sleeve. I don't even want the one GHL promises to deliver one of these days.
    https://www.amazon.com/Aston-Leathe...484184100&sr=8-2&keywords=leather+sleeve+pens

It's long enough to completely encapsulate the hopper including its clicker. It's thick and butter-soft. I bought one for each of my Ti's, and they live in them 24/7 unless I'm going away for more than a day.

16. beiberhole69

beiberhole69 Sexual Maven

can't wait to get my hopper on friday111111

I'm usually pretty disappointed with vapes when i first get them and then warm up to them as i learn a good technique with them. hopping this is the one that knocks my socks of from the word go.

kbrown5523 likes this.
  17. Gramin

Gramin Well-Known Member

Make no mistake the GH will have it's own technique to learn. But it's not very complicated.

Click, wait for blue, inhale, click when you're nearly done, keep inhaling and then clear. (Important technique to cool GH down quicker.)

And now we've gone to level 2 in technique by leaving the backend a tad loose so you can tweak it while inhaling to minimise blue flashing. Though I'm not sure if this is essential, I've had it make no difference and I've had it give me solid blue so who knows?

Minor details on filling and cleaning are also important. I use the cap from a doob tube for filling and it makes it much easier and cleaner to do. It's hard keeping dank kief out of the threads but the cap does a good job in reducing contact. I also got myself a small brush that's from the MFLB company, it was all AusVapes had at the time and it's quite good actually.

18. biohacker

I still don't understand how HL went backwards with these backends....perhaps the new blue light flickering prevents hot back ends? Is less energy going to the bowl? Most importantly, have you noticed any PERFORMANCE decreases while flickering like I have?

Looks like the retailer isn't accepting my used GH returns so i'm negotiating with them, hoping not to take a big hit, but if I do i'll just end up keeping them and probably RMA. As I said before, I don't mind the blinking lights so much, it's the reduced and intermittent performance. I shouldn't have to twist the temp dial or leave a touch of play in the backend to be able to milk the thing!

It's a vaporizer not a god damn instrument! Fortunately my OG ti and ss 3rd hand hoppers are continuing to blow my socks off! I'm back on the water tool wet (dry was fun and novel but not sustainable for me), still off the kief screens, but back to a medium fine grind from coarse..... the thick dense milky eye candy just pops out so much more with the finer grind (at the expense of my lung comfort).

I think i'll be with the GH for the LONG HAUL! I have no VAS anymore? WTF!? Only GHAS still!

kbrown5523, Baron23, Mr. Me2 and 3 others like this.
  19. vapviking

I am perpetually amused by all the 'new techniques' folks are developing in response to, well, a variety of Hopper behaviors.
    One definition of superstitious behavior is behavior that is not based on fact. We're now at 570 pages and counting and many, many ideas have been floated. For example, I stopped using BluTac around the time that HL was non-plussed about it in that cleaning update, and things have been just fine.
    I don't fault anyone for trying things and reporting things. But I did chuckle at the 'now we've gone to level 2 in technique' remark.

I don't think HL 'went backwards' with backend design. I acknowledge your story and experience @biohacker , but it is only that, with a sprinkling of corroboration. I have a three week old SS back end that's doing blue flickering sometimes and now getting hot back end spikes (third backend for this unit). Performance is excellent, but it's hot enough to hurt my fingers sometimes.

I think it's been hit and miss all along as far as receiving a solid, long lasting Hopper goes. Then add in varying levels of customer use/abuse on the shaky ones and it leaves us all wondering, A LOT, just what the problem(s) might be. So we try things and sometimes they seem to work...

20. biohacker

I personally just have been noticing a trend with reports of the flickering back ends, and buying two brand new out of the box that is new stock (GHB2 and v2 charger) leaves me wondering WTF is going on now? I guess time will tell. We really should not have to "jiggle" the dial to have consistent performance. I think it's hilarious too! I swear it's like playing a musical instrument! lol

I have been getting hot back end spikes ONLY on my SS and it's really random.... yesterday though holy shit, it was the hottest spike i've felt, very much like a HOT electrical shock! But performance continues to impress, and that's the important thing to me. I just hope it's not on its way out.... pretty sure that's what I read here, first back end heat spikes and then the cop lights come? Is that correct?

Hjalmark likes this.
  21. vapviking

Maybe for some! I've gone ahead and tolerated hot backend for long periods. The first I finally just got annoyed and sent in, so it was replaced. he second was getting hot after two weeks but I waited again, since it produce good vape. Then Body dies also, so both were replaced at once.
    I agree that we are reading more about the flashing lights lately; as I mentioned days ago, I ignore pretty much all but the red flash/change the battery! lights.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Hjalmark, moondog and biohacker like this.
  22. slcbdco

slcbdco Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist

I got a Davinci IQ as I like conduction for vaping tobaco and other herbs, even though it doesn't "flavor stain" I like to keep my Grasshoppers just for cannabis. Anyway the IQ taste great, definitely does NOT have a stronger flavor profile than the Grasshoppper and as of yet, I still get bigger clouds per hit at any temp on the grasshopper, granted that may just be the difference between two years and two days of using the vape.

However, reading the IQ forum, you'll see a lot of QC issues, and last night I found a crack in my ceramic bowl also, which is too bad since the nectar collector attachment is supppsed to arrive today.

One of two things will result, either the crack is an acceptable machining issue or I have to send it back after two days.

In fact, every vape I've ever owned has had something go wrong, I sent back an OG pax once, and OG Firefly twice, my mivape had a cracked door but I sorta gave up on the vape, i've sent my pax2 back also, in fact the only vape i've never had to send back is my firefly2, perhaps because I rarely use it.

My point isn't to throw shade on other vapes, rather to put some perspective on QC. I don't think i'm particularly unlikely, it's that this technology in these form factors is new so the consumer has to have realistic expectations. Grasshopper is putting out a product that is AT LEAST if not higher build quality in my experience as vapes from far more established companies at much higher price points. Not to mention for any trouble the Grasshoppper gives, it is still again, in my experience of vapes i've either owned or tried, and for my preference in vapor quality the best product right now hands down.

What I say about my conduction vapes, pax/IQ is they are great for when I want to "get" high, meaning, sitting around, plenty of time to enjoy the habit and activity of vaping, less concern about getting from 0-bird head on any schedule, where the hopper is for when I want to "BE" high. I would love grasshoppper flavor in session form as it's really a cannasuer experience but I think my dream may be impossible because:

a. I suspect the reason I get so high from GH is because of that rush of terpenes so

b. you can't strip the terpenes and have them later so such as session would need a constant replenishing of herbs that even stirring can't achieve and

c. I'd be way to birdy after the second hit to want a third, let alone a 10 minute sessions

Anyway just some perpspective, and to let you know that while I still have VAS and tend to scratch the itch from time to time, I always come right back to the grasshoppper as my primary vape, it's just the best!

23. guyonthecouch

Have you ever tried iso/qtip wipping the terminal/batt connection located inside the body of your hoppers? ALL of my flashing blue light issues have been resolved after a cleaning. Also, blue lights have NEVER been an indicator of poorer/shorter performance.

How are you holding your GH when using? I find all SS hot backend/body issues are gone when holding like a "flute" or cigar. Don't palm it but rather hold between thumb and index/middle finger. When palming the SS I find that the heat spreads throughout the unit much faster.

Cop lights is usually a sensor malfunction indicator. Could be something in the airpath, some goo on one of the sensors. etc.

Which retailer is not accepting your returns? Why aren't you claiming warranty directly through hopper? Most retailers have a policy for ALL vapes saying that once used they can't except returns and warranty is handled through manufacturer, standard practice.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Hjalmark, moondog and biohacker like this.
  24. biohacker

Never! Interesting, will a standard sized q-tip even reach all the way to make contact? For some reason doing this scares the shit out of me, although I will resort to it if need be. I would expect that the terminal contact would not need cleaning right out of the box? Is there a QA step missing in the process here?

Inverted on top of a bubbler.

Toronto Hemp Company, you're right I didn't read their policy... after seeing the behaviour on both of them, it turned me off. I didn't feel like RMA'ing 2 brand new hoppers out of the box cross border when I already have two that work perfectly. It was an impulse boxing day sale buy, but i'm bipolar and change my mind all the time. Just the fact that I STILL worship the GH after a month or so over any other vape means alot to me!

I also just noticed an interesting phenomena.... my ti front end can sit on the angled cone part and I can push it around on a desk and make it sorta dance! lol My ss can't do this...it just flops and falls over on its side. Anyone else notice this?

Hjalmark, vapviking, btka and 2 others like this.
  25. guyonthecouch

Haha, the perfectly balanced front end trick!!

Don't stress about cleaning the terminal. A normal qtip just reaches, soak the qtip, give a squeeze to remove excess iso and press against inner terminal turning in one direction(so you don't leave any cotton residue). I'm sure you'll see a fair amount of black residue(machining oil) come off terminal. Also betting this will alleviate your flickering light issue. After wiping let iso air dry, don't try wiping clean with dry qtip or anything else.

When pairing with glass have you ever tried priming your bowl? As in, taking a quick couple puffs via mouth and once you taste/feel vapour then apply to glass? This won't put so much strain on your heater/batts and will milk INSTANTLY!! :D ..and try the holding technique I suggested earlier.

Hopper's warranty system is awesome and as long as you clean your unit pieces well before sending away you should have no cross border worries. But sounds like your units just need a cleaning my friend :tup:

Hjalmark, vapviking, btka and 2 others like this.

Support FC, visit our trusted friends and sponsors