• Do NOT click on any vaporpedia.com links. The domain has been compromised and will attempt to infect your system. See https://fuckcombustion.com/threads/warning-vaporpedia-com-has-been-compromised.54960/.

Discontinued The Grasshopper

natural farmer

So yesterday it seemed like both my ss and ti hoppers were underperforming. I am used to a very thick milk up and watching thick vapours dance around my water tool, especially on temp 5, but yesterday they both seemed much more wispy and thin. I have switched around a bunch of strains and they seem to be producing the same quality of vapour regardless of oil content. Everything gets vaped up properly as the ABV is dark, however it just seems to be doing it in a different manner....much slower...almost like it's not getting to 210c max temp? Tried changing around batteries, back ends, etc... same result.

Hoping it's just my technique or light, but more testing will reveal WTF is up today! I just noticed alot of irritating heat, but super thin vapour and it took longer to extract. It's like both of my hoppers are acting completely different! I did unscrew and twist the temp selector and did see at one point the results I was looking for, so maybe the threads just need a deep clean which is something I stopped doing after getting anxiety from the cleaning blog post! (I still use ISO towelettes!)

Hopefully these thin anemic clouds don't last very long.... I feel for you @JoeMama !

Starting to consider moving over to the Ethics thread :o
My bro's Hopper had the same issues a week or so ago and the pull was tighter as well. Both were puzzled with this and guess what was a he culprit.....

He is usually using his Hopper upside down on his Orbiter so unavoidably some vapor stays in the chamber if not cleared enough during the end of the hit and rises towards the heater. Well, what he did is hit his Hopper in 5 through the Orbiter without a load and guess what... He had about 20 super milky thick hits with nothing in the chamber. There should be a ton of resin hiding somewhere under the heater screen!!!! After the vapor production stopped the Hopper was full throttle again, open airflow and thick milky hits!!! :brow:

Problem solved! :tup: Give it a try... Might be that! ;)

Mr. Me2

So @JoeMama and @biohacker, I've been feeling like my ss has been underperforming too. I was wondering if my gh honeymoon was over. For the first time, I've felt the need to bump up the temp (I've always kept it locked on 3; increasing it to close to 4 has improved performance somewhat).

@natural farmer, thanks do much for the tip!!! It really makes sense. I don't have a water tool, and at the risk of my lungs I'm gonna try pulling on the gh at temp 5 with an empty oven to see what happens. Hopefully my gh performance will improve too!

biohacker

As before, zero bonus hits of any sort. Maybe somewhat of a taste, but zero visible vapour. Regardless, after more testing it appears that everything is as it should be. It was a combination of technique, not loading enough material, and lighting that were my issues! Sometimes I think it's just a contact/conduction thing, and you need to twist the temp or backend.

JoeMama

@biohacker and @Mr. Me2 ... Your posts at least make me feel like I'm not alone here, thanks for chiming in... Something is up, and it can't be my technique, as I've tried EVERYthing. And I can't say I "never" get milky clouds, but when I do, it's nearly always above T4 - rather, I can say, now I NEVER get clouds below T4. I used to get a couple of decent milky clouds on T3.5 - and that's even during a (long) first draw.

I am thinking of asking GHL to take a look at it, after I get my grey Ti back and working fine. Nothing to lose but postage. I feel for our friends who are overseas where postage is crazy to get to CO.

Those must be the elusive "bonus hits"! Thanks for the TIP, i'm going to go pull on both my hoppers on 5 with an empty chamber now. I pretty much only exclusively use my hoppers upside down with a water tool so hopefully this is it!

This is incredible! I have found that if I leave the chamber completely empty, I get hits all day long! This is saving me a LOT of money!

EDIT:
As before, zero bonus hits of any sort. Maybe somewhat of a taste, but zero visible vapour. Regardless, after more testing it appears that everything is as it should be. It was a combination of technique, not loading enough material, and lighting that were my issues! Sometimes I think it's just a contact/conduction thing, and you need to twist the temp or backend.

Speaking of twisting the Temp dial...

This is what I'm noticing.... there is play in the Temp dial. I have gone over this in my (medicated) mind, and I can definitely feel that there is almost exactly "one hash mark" of play in the dial. So if I turn it to T5 all the way, and back off towards T4, it is at T4 that I feel the dial "engaging" with that familiar crappy friction. If I continue to turn the dial all the way toward T1, and then back towards T5, it is at T2 that I feel that friction again... and so on back and forth. At any time in between, there is that same "gap" of one hash mark.

I have no basis other than experience with knobs, if you will :razz:, to know that this dial is inferior to the new backend they'd sent for my grey Ti (which I still sent back for the unresolved issue). But that backend felt smooth and like it was always "in play".

I wonder what GHL would say about this... Any thoughts?

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

Evening all,

Not sure if I didn't phrase my search correctly, and I can't believe I'm the only fool here to do this, but I can't find anything and don't remember reading about this yet.......

I have had a Ti GH for some time, hasn't gotten much use because from day one, it heated, but poorly. I got some time to play this weekend and pulled it out and went to the fixes thread (what a great reference!) and cleaned it up some.

It started working pretty good, but tonight I'm getting the cop lights for the sensor.

I realized I never registered it, so I went online to, only to find I need the box I tossed months ago. I've been purging the house with all the kids at college and it had nothing in it I needed, apparently it was ON it that I should have looked.

Has anyone else been able to talk them into registering a unit without the ID number? I had two Ti units on order when I jumped on a Ebay unit to save myself about 5 months (as it turned out) and so I didn't even purchase it direct.

I've waited money before, but this one kinda hurts.

Hope everyone's is running smooth and pumping out the clouds,

MT

UnshavenFish

I realized I never registered it, so I went online to, only to find I need the box I tossed months ago. I've been purging the house with all the kids at college and it had nothing in it I needed, apparently it was ON it that I should have looked.

Has anyone else been able to talk them into registering a unit without the ID number? I had two Ti units on order when I jumped on a Ebay unit to save myself about 5 months (as it turned out) and so I didn't even purchase it direct.

Hopefully they work with you, but worst case scenario they will sell you an ID, I think @biohacker posted a few pages back that they offered to sell him a warranty/box/ID for something like $40 (it's late here and I might not have the number right) good luck hope you get hopping again quick fast :tup:

MoltenTiger

Evening all,

Not sure if I didn't phrase my search correctly, and I can't believe I'm the only fool here to do this, but I can't find anything and don't remember reading about this yet.......

I have had a Ti GH for some time, hasn't gotten much use because from day one, it heated, but poorly. I got some time to play this weekend and pulled it out and went to the fixes thread (what a great reference!) and cleaned it up some.

It started working pretty good, but tonight I'm getting the cop lights for the sensor.

I've waited money before, but this one kinda hurts.

Hope everyone's is running smooth and pumping out the clouds,

MT
My friend told me he threw out the box I gave him, turns out he only threw out the sleeve over it, or found the box, something like that.
At the time I wasn't too worried, I figured HL would help me out, but I had proof of purchase ready.

Who did you buy it from on eBay? There's been a couple of certified resellers who might be able to help you out, but I'd contact whoever and ask them to seek out HLs help with their proof of purchase.

@biohacker managed to work out a $45 USD deal to get a code for a second hand unit that wasn't registered, perhaps he can fill you in on those details..

You'll be able to get it sorted, but it might take a bit. Hope you're back to pumping clouds soon!

Last edited:

MonkeyTime

My friend told me he threw out the box I gave him, turns out he only threw out the sleeve over it, or found the box, something like that.
At the time I wasn't too worried, I figured HL would help me out, but I had proof of purchase ready.

Who did you buy it from on eBay? There's been a couple of certified resellers who might be able to help you out, but I'd contact whoever and ask them to seek out HLs help with their proof of purchase.

@biohacker managed to work out a $45 USD deal to get a code for a second hand unit that wasn't registered, perhaps he can fill you in on those details..

You'll be able to get it sorted, but it might take a bit. Hope you're back to pumping clouds soon!

Thanks guys,

I'm not counting on their spirit of generosity, they seem to be pretty inconsistent with how things go.

I'm sure we'll work something out, just a matter of the details.

In the meantime, the clouds will continue :tup:

biohacker

Actually since it wasn't registered....there was no $45 fee. If I lost the box ID or if it was registered to someone else, it would have cost me $45 for the transfer.

Thanks guys,

I'm not counting on their spirit of generosity, they seem to be pretty inconsistent with how things go.

I'm sure we'll work something out, just a matter of the details.

Check out my posts over the past few pages.... I feel their spirit of generosity loud and clear, however you are right with the inconsistency....hopefully they will remain consistent on this $45 and not on a case by case basis.

Regardless, after more testing it appears that everything is as it should be. It was a combination of technique, not loading enough material, and lighting that were my issues! Sometimes I think it's just a contact/conduction thing, and you need to twist the temp or backend.

I also forgot to add grind consistency. I switched to a coarser grind for better airflow and flavour, but the clouds took a pretty significant hit. Just went back to my Kannastor GR8TR and OMG! Clouds are now so thick you can chew on them! Crappier airflow, but that can be adjusted with load size, pack, etc.

And lastly, the BATTERY! Duh! :doh: I just took what looked like a decent hit, and then I notice the blue flickering....so before it even turns red, swap out batteries, and OMG! Now THAT'S a REAL HIT!

My wife's brand new Mighty has been put aside....I just can't get the clouds like the GH can deliver! With the Mighty I can get skim milk, but with the GH it is unscathed full fat milk! So thick you can't see through it.

Last edited:

VegNVape

Increase the Peace
Company Rep
Is this the teflon reducer of the Sub in joint?
Affirmative.
6T1dhJx.jpg

PxB6jse.jpg

ZnoweUN.jpg

Hand, scratch & silicone free, Hopper+Bubbler in matrimony!

That's my TonG! :tup:
(& it ain't gone 'Pete' yet!)

:peace:

slcbdco

Brewer, Lobbyist, Vaporist
Yes but can any of you honestly say without water filtration that the vapor is really tolerable? I was sure everyone was exaggerating but its really too hot and unpleasant. Granted this is my first day with it so will need more testing..

I have had my grasshopper for a little more than two years. Not only do I only almost never use water, I now find "cooler" vapor unsatisfying. For example I rarely use my e-cig, as it's just not as viscerally satisfying as a cigarette. As for cannabis I also have a pax2 and a firefly2. I use my pax2 for vaping tobacco primarily mixed with other herbs, and unlike an e-cig the "harshness" (not the word I would use) of the pax2 is far more satisfying than an e-cig.

Although the first hit or so is amazing flavor I still prefer the Grasshopper experience to the Firefly2.

The point being vapor quality is subjective. Some people love the almost cold vapor of e-cigs and what the same in a cannabis vape. For myself, there is a visceral aspect to the grasshopper experience and vapor like it that I actually prefer, which is why I only use water with the GH when i'm looking for a vlomunis hit, otherwise I prefer the straight to the dome technique

biohacker

Nothing like that "snap crackle pop" sound of your flowers melting! Do you guys hear it too? The only other vape I remember hearing it with is the E-Nano. Sounds like a fire crackling for a few seconds! This on temp 5, through water....and I think it's the slower draw that causes it.

Another thing I love about these thick milky water hits.... I am sometimes able to "chew" the vapour, it's so thick, and I can even feel the oil stick to my teeth sometimes....love it!

That TonG Sub reducer looks awesome! I don't care about scratches, so i'm using mine raw in a 14mm joint, sometimes i'll use the silicone, but mostly i'll just jam it in there and go. The SS won't really be affected by it, and the Ti I have noticed some scratches, but nothing significant. I always get a seal that's good enough to milk hard!

I'm done with kief compartments! Back to 3 piece style! Much preferred for this HopperHead!

Hjalmark

Oldest boy alive
Front end lights tell you the readiness of your heater and the backend heats up to tell you the battery is empty

over and out.

Hjalmark,
Reactions: slcbdco

JoeMama

I also forgot to add grind consistency. I switched to a coarser grind for better airflow and flavour, but the clouds took a pretty significant hit. Just went back to my Kannastor GR8TR and OMG! Clouds are now so thick you can chew on them! Crappier airflow, but that can be adjusted with load size, pack, etc.

And lastly, the BATTERY! Duh! :doh: I just took what looked like a decent hit, and then I notice the blue flickering....so before it even turns red, swap out batteries, and OMG! Now THAT'S a REAL HIT!

My wife's brand new Mighty has been put aside....I just can't get the clouds like the GH can deliver! With the Mighty I can get skim milk, but with the GH it is unscathed full fat milk! So thick you can't see through it.
Bio, I'm glad you're back up and running!

I wish I could say this, but the raw Ti is definitely consistently giving only moderate clouds at T5 on the same flower stash that's been giving great performance prior.

GHL says to send it in for diagnostic.. they still have the other one. I'll wait... I'll settle with poor convection than going back to my Pax!

High on Hopper love :luv:

Still blowing my socks off! :ko:

:peace:

Hey I got those socks for Christmas from my very cool niece! :tup::clap:

vapviking

Old & In the Way
looks like i'm getting a hopper111111

it only comes with one battery though

best place to get one is the hl website?
Pro tip,
Don't rush to register your Hopper. You can open account to purchse goods, get mailings, etc., but don't need to register the device if it doesn't need service. Keep the alpha numeric code from the box, you need that and Hopper sn from unit when time comes to register.

This leaves you option to sell should you want to, a unit still with lifetime warranty. Even if it breaks, you can still retrieve value if you sell.
All this said, you might just fall in love with the thing as some of us have.

Have fun!

biohacker

Even if it breaks, you can still retrieve value if you sell.

What an awesome product. You can sell a BROKEN grasshopper as long as it hasn't been registered and still get great value back!

Will my honeymoon ever end? I don't even LOOK at the Mighty anymore. All I need is my two hoppers and VAS hasn't even been brought up anymore?

@Mr. Me2 are you feeling me the same way with your Crafty dude?

vapviking

Old & In the Way
What an awesome product. You can sell a BROKEN grasshopper as long as it hasn't been registered and still get great value back!

Will my honeymoon ever end? I don't even LOOK at the Mighty anymore. All I need is my two hoppers and VAS hasn't even been brought up anymore?

@Mr. Me2 are you feeling me the same way with your Crafty dude?
The Mighty still plays a major role in my house, or car, or...
Having two Hoppers in the mix, there's so much variety of experience available between these and Mighty.
It's the Pax2 that rarely sees the light of day!
I'm going to start lending Pax2 out to friends, to entice them to fuck combustion. Original Pax did that for me and I'm eternally grateful.
@Mr. Me2 ? How about your Pax2 use? (we've been on similar trajectory with these 3 products!)

biohacker

The Mighty is a great vape, but for me only with a muzzmod, and even then I would reach for the GH instead.
Have any of you used hash in the GH without flower? Thinking about just breaking bits off and trying my luck at 210c through water.

travis

My hopper can sometimes be a blue flickering mess even with a full battery. I typically get about 6 hits out a battery so it's not worth sending it in... yet.

On tip I've noticed is that I can get more juice out if I slightly unscrew the backend by only a millimeter or so when I'm hitting it. It sounds weird but the flickering will stop and I (think?) get a bigger hit. I assume it's due to a better conduction path for the threads. Sometimes I can twist the backend back and forth when I'm hitting to "find" a sweet spot with solid blue lights.

Anyone with a flickering hopper, please give this a shot and see if you get similar results.

biohacker

Sounds exactly like the two new ones I received the other week! Hopefully they refine the backend so this issue goes away for good. I think the flickering blue limits performance from my experience.

Gramin

Anyone with a flickering hopper, please give this a shot and see if you get similar results.

Just tried it and it worked! Not too bad of a workaround too really.

Finally got over the shipping costs and paid HL to ship me 5 batteries. For future reference to any other Aussies... Caroline said 12 batteries max at $40 USD shipping. If anyone wants to organize a group buy in future send me a PM!

Top Bottom