The Extreme-Q Vaporizer

Nesta

Been offline the last couple weeks in what has literally been the most hellish time of my :myday: life. Anyway, not meaning to whine but today has been my first opportunity to check this thread and I just wanted to compliment you all for the recent great posts re Q mods, which IIRC took off with DDave's adapter and has expanded from there. This is a very long thread and there have been many great mods posted going back 2+ years. But the recent suggestions have added a helluva lot of yet more value, and breathed new life into a thread that seemed to be losing gas.

So my hat's off to y'all :cheers: and here's hoping you keep up the enthusiasm. :rockon:
I'm glad to see you back! It recently dawned on me that we have not heard from you in a while -after you hinted at surgery. That was a bit concerning. I enjoy your input & have received so much useful information from you. So welcome back, I hope you can take it easy & feel 100% soon.

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Been offline the last couple weeks in what has literally been the most hellish time of my :myday: life. Anyway, not meaning to whine but today has been my first opportunity to check this thread and I just wanted to compliment you all for the recent great posts re Q mods, which IIRC took off with DDave's adapter and has expanded from there. This is a very long thread and there have been many great mods posted going back 2+ years. But the recent suggestions have added a helluva lot of yet more value, and breathed new life into a thread that seemed to be losing gas.

So my hat's off to y'all :cheers: and here's hoping you keep up the enthusiasm. :rockon:
Hey oldiebutgoodie, Nice to see you back! Best wishes on getting back into the swing of things as quickly as possible!

While you were out, Tweak/TMK suggested the addition of an SSV Wand to the F/F adapter, and the results were amazing! To sum it up, much better/even extraction, and ease of use!!! (I doubt I will ever go back to the elbow, unless I break my wand! :shrug:)

Thanks for the kind words! This is a great group discussion of a great vaporizer.... and what but some awesome mods could result? :tup:

Again, great to see you back here! :nod::clap:

tonytokes

Hey guys, just about to order my new EQ 4.0 from ebay for about $165 shipped. I am just wondering if you guys have any advice me for me if I want to get a bong setup with it? Will I need to buy any extra adapters to fit the bong? I have a 18mm bong body lying somewhere, just need to get a stem for it.

tonytokes,

Skeena

Standing stone faced like a statue.
If it has an 18mm female opening you can use the extra elbow piece with the silicone hose to hook it up, thats what I plan on doing.

Skeena,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

I just read about the 18mm "Dual Chamber Vapor Whip" (apparently discontinued product) and was curious to know if there's anything similar still available along those lines which can be substituted in place of the Cyclone bowl + Elbow Adapter (+ Top-of-Bowl Screen) contraption...

:peace:

Egzoset,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Salutations everyone,

I just read about the 18mm "Dual Chamber Vapor Whip" (apparently discontinued product) and was curious to know if there's anything similar still available along those lines which can be substituted in place of the Cyclone bowl + Elbow Adapter (+ Top-of-Bowl Screen) contraption...

Hi Egzoset,

Dual Chamber Vapor Whip went for about $44 USD.

If you look back through this thread, there is an F/F adapter and SSV Wand combination (approx same price around $45 USD) which accomplish the same - a double screen enclosed area (elbow screen on one end of the wand, wand internal screen on the other end)... which keeps the herb in place.

Hope this helps!

DDave

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations DDave,

...there is an F/F adapter and SSV Wand combination...

Yes, it's part of my inspiration and i'd want to try it given an opportunity. I guess i needed to see modding from others before i wanted some of my own (this was published last weekend):

The mechanical lever aspect seems worsened using an Arizer Solo bent Glass Stem alone (because of length), which is why i'm having concerns for the heater assembly located under that Cyclone Bowl... So i found somewhat preferable to add some flexible material between me and the vaporizer.

For all practical purposes most particules appear to collect between a pair of screens inserted inside the Solo wand bowl, my real one being an HA Crucible (not installed here) which closes that wand's tip. I can foresee pleasant reclaims already!

:science:

Notice the HA white teflon straw causing a steep airflow transition at the PVC/glass interface, by the way.

...approx same price... ...which accomplish the same...

Well, i felt urged to search for a less vulnerable alternative, hence my solution: a screen on the heater side contains herbs within my HA aluminium Crucible while screens in the Solo wand bowl (on top) ensure clean (dust-free) cannabic vapor delivery - at least judging from residues! Aluminium appears to be virtually transparent to heat and yet it won't stay burning-hot for long, allowing me to hold it seconds after removal (with some careful handling provided)... But this additional mass shifts temperatures down so i must set my V-Tower slightly higher (192 °C to 210 °C instead).

That's where your proposal chimes in. The overall vertical shape is the contrary of low-profile but remove the wand and this situations reverses: a short female-to-female GonG adapter could be a suitable replacement for the standard Cyclone Bowl. Your F-F adapter and my hybrid Arizer/HA wand should result in even lesser total height while the radiative aluminium bowl is taken close to heat. This might turn to be intersting!

About my goal and the cost of an implementation, it seems i'm after the transitional quality of "1 Hitters" with the swivel feature of a spheric GonG junction, etc., hopefully at a resonable expense or so... But i wish to thank you for making a suggestion anyway! So please don't hesitate to add more input, eventually. The hints are appreciated in any case.

Egzoset,

tonytokes

tonytokes,

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations TonyTokes,

...the adapter has a shipping cost to Canada that costs more than the adapter itself.

Oh, you mean this one i guess:

So it's from the Canadian side of the border hey?... I wonder if my (HA crucible + Arizer Solo) wand contraption would fit in there! Or maybe just the Arizer Solo stem alone, with some teflon ribon added to seal the gap. That would be close to the heat source, probably calling for some lower settings, go figure... I'm not sure i'd want to put cannabis herb directly into the upper half of such F2F GonG Adaptor on a regular basis - but i'll most certainly want to check with local headshops about it!

Egzoset,

samirfuzzywuzzy

@DDave Hows that mod working. Im still impressed every time I take it off the shelf. I took the fan out of the unit last night along with almost every thing else that wasn't holding the heater up or holding the circuits in. There is a lot of extra plastic that i removed including the fan grill i cut of the bottom. I can mostly see through the machine now!!! I can say with the mods we have that gutting the machine doesnt help much! But now it does fly faster with all the weight reduction mods!!!:brow:

TechnicalToker

I must be using my Q incorrectly. I use as directed, loading the cyclone bowl to the tape and long pulls. I am torched by the end of that load. What are the purposes of the mods? One makes the load closer to the heating element and the others are for cooler draw? What do I seem to be missing?

TechnicalToker,
Reactions: DDave

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations TechnicalToker,

What do I seem to be missing?

Hummm...

117b3vr.jpg

Ever considered trying something like this? Maybe modding can just wait as well, i figure. Those who might wonder should simply know it comes down to adding a suitable amount of warm mist from boiling water, without the fear to hurt my lips. In the front-right corner that's a water accessory with no water inside...

Water vapor from boiling water is injected at a tiny rate because the air inlet hole is plugged with exactly what it needs to work as desired (the plug comes from a butane cap: it's got a tiny hole at the end)... Preliminary testing says heat from boiling water ain't no problem, the limited amount feels OKay, comfort has improved dramatically. Because it's not dry anymore!

Egzoset,

DDave

Vape Wizard
Accessory Maker
Wow, I just ordered my Extreme Q today, and won't be getting it until next Friday but reading this thread makes me really want to get a DDave adapter so I'll receive both at the same time. Does the adapter in this link work? http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.X18mm glass adapter&_nkw=18mm glass adapter&_sacat=0&_from=R40 Trying to save a little bit money as the last link for the adapter has a shipping cost to Canada that costs more than the adapter itself.
Hi tonytokes, I took a look at some of those adapters. Many of them look like the adapters that didn't fit in the Extreme due to the large glass ring around the middle. If in doubt, ask the seller if the adapter would hold a screen the screen sized as a US quarter without bending. The adapter that fits has this characteristic, while the thick-ringed adapter that doesn't fit would not allow the screen to sit flat, it would be bent.
@DDave How’s that mod working. I’m still impressed every time I take it off the shelf. I took the fan out of the unit last night along with almost everything else that wasn't holding the heater up or holding the circuits in. There is a lot of extra plastic that i removed including the fan grill i cut of the bottom. I can mostly see through the machine now!!! I can say with the mods we have that gutting the machine doesn’t help much! But now it does fly faster with all the weight reduction mods!!!
Hey samirfuzzywuzzy, mod still works like a charm! Also, I want to personally thank you for taking time and effort to further the quest for awesome mods!!!! I was always curious about reducing drag during a draw. Wasn't sure it would be possible, as it seems to be inherent to the design of the heater itself and seems any modification to heater core or glass heater cover that would reduce drag would also lower the heat of the airflow to an unacceptable level. Since the DDave F/F & SSV Wand mod, the only unacceptable drag comes at the end of a session when proper medication levels cause the feet to drag a bit... But don’t give up the quest for even better mods! You Rock! And your efforts will be rewarded!!! :tup:
I must be using my Q incorrectly. I use as directed, loading the cyclone bowl to the tape and long pulls. I am torched by the end of that load. What are the purposes of the mods? One makes the load closer to the heating element and the others are for cooler draw? What do I seem to be missing?
Hi TechnicalToker, I started my quest for mods after I had been using the tower for some time and noticed at times when a quick session was needed; the stock glass setup was not able to meet the need. Sometimes it wasn't convenient to have to take 20 or so draws to reach desired levels. From there, went to elbow packing with standard cyclone bowl, slight improvement.. But not enough. Then found the DDave F/F adapter, which shortened the distance from elbow screen to heater by approx. 1 inch (give or take). Performance jumped significantly. I was almost satisfied completely, thinking how much better could it get? Then Tweak suggested using an SSV Wand, like TMK did, and with that I had the machine that I desired. Less drag, more efficient extraction resulted. This is my go to configuration. (Still have the other configurations, such as when I wish a longer session consisting of more draws and far more flavor, I simply put the herb in the F/F, instead of the Wand, and then attach the Wand and draw... This works with the original elbows as well.

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations everyone,

Well, it's going to be my 1st month using the V-Tower tomorow. I've certainly played enough with it to post some owner review i guess.

;)

Talking of firsts lets just mention that for me this morning is also the very first one i can say i toked fine in my veranda and didn't end up couphing like a sick dog - which after a while was what my fate actually started to compare with, while using dry cannabic vapor coming out of an Arizer V-Tower. Lucky me, a miracle has happened: proper moisturization is all i required (and i've known this for a long time already), i only needed to remember about it and act accordingly!

Boy, i wish i still had some "bio" around here!!... :cool:

Anyway, lets be honnest about the whole thing: so far dryness plain ruined my experience, pure & simple. Fortunately, a much more pleasant part begins today and i'd say my Elbow Adapter with a 2nd screen (mounted flush inside the metal-ring one) while heating at 182 °C works nicely. Some cheap glass water accessory filled with moist warm air reveals my cloud better than ever before, especially when sunrays reach it at the right angle between a few leaves... The intense sunlight magnifies my exhalations, rendering them even more satisfying somehow. Would that be the true power of Bio-Feedback?!!

:D

Briefly put, it's not very relaxing to cough hard on dry vapor and see little but i had to try my luck. I loose. So, excluding the need for moisture, which is a common characteristic in virtually all electric/electronic vaporizers i believe (keep in mind i want no water-washing if i can help it - integrated water conditioning solutions will generally fail to appeal to me, in any case), euh... I mean, with this moisture item put aside i'd describe the V-Tower as a machine clearly geared toward convection, though the Cyclone Bowl can get very hot eventually. I wish i could write about "pure" (or almost) but the vaporizer's bottom half happens to be as opaque as the top half seems "obvious": should an electronic component come to fail who can tell if emanations won't reach my cannabic path!?... I suppose Arizer's customers are expected to be faithful while, if i were them, i might try to invest on clear direct eye-contact over all of the air/cannabic path instead, from start to end!

:2c:

Consequently to the product's obscure "black-box" aspect alone i'm sorry to say i find those design choices most regrettable. But those are their choices, the worse one being the Elbow Adapter IMO. Oh, the Arizer glass Elbow Adapter performs well, i'd concur effectively! It's that long & thin glass mechanical lever i can't stand!! Why not fix the problem or even develop a full-customized solution? The V-Tower/Extreme-Q layout makes a good convection system with an interesting future no doubt, but... Please, it's about time someone at Arizer decides to do something about it!

As a matter of fact i sort of wonder what kind of developer is able to remain satisfied for so long with an elbow adapter which still works OKay today but simply appears to be an off-the-shelf prototype to me. The ring-screen gets me pretty much puzzled too - what's the need for a bowl right in there for starters?? I mean, it's collecting material that clogs the airflow after a couple tokes... Make the glass/metal/screen junction flat then deposits won't accumulate as fast on the ceiling, so simple! To me playing with screens and Solo wands trying to better retrofit that elbow adapter boils down to one presistant impression: time for an update please!

And what an update it would be, should some unexploited potential finally get to be suitably valued!...

:science:

In the meantime...

What i see in the V-Tower is an HerbalAire with more control and less conduction/radiance. Having no pump doesn't cause me serious concern as i've tried it previously and don't miss that for now, though i feel bags ease consumption in terms of respiratory effort. The fact that it's mostly convection appears to call for air circulation, lots of it (...), meaning the longer the tubing the more lung work it takes.

So, i fully realize at last how my V-Tower depends on air to circulate! To some extent today i view it as a couple's vaporizer (and/or one for small groups)! Here's how it goes. If a 1st inhale must serve to bring my herb close to temperature then that means heat in the oven goes down again while i recuperate, causing me to "prepare" the next toke hoping that one will turn out to be the ultimate achievement - which rarely happens... What takes place instead is an infernal cycle where i don't master the V-Tower well enough to avoid "wispy hits", or opaque clouds if i push my luck! In the begining i was confident i could acquire the (ritual) reflexes necessary to operate a convection device, yet i think there's plenty of room left for more nuances. Sometimes i feel like my session has reached a state of flux, the vibrations become those of a finely tuned system perhaps... Then it vanishes.

This brings me to the notion of fun. Is it fun?

M'well... Once you've tried my modded pipe the correct answer is no, to the least not for me so far. The pipe is mobile, my present V-Tower installation (including the heater plate + water boiler + glass accessory + PVC tubing), euh... It lacks a spontaneous side, but i greatly appreciate the different peaceful rythm promoted through such layout. I've never done any shisha but this morning's breakthrough gave me a feeling as if i was only missing the oriental musicians and a harem: very relaxing.

:tup:

Relatively to consumption, extraction and conservation my opinion is that Arizer should think of a way to adapt their Solo bent Glass Stem, for those who got a tendency to use half-full Cyclone bowls and complain afterwards that this was excessive, for example. I think better extraction would result from the addition of a radiative (secondary) source at the heat-exchanger level, possibly via the use of metal in the bowl. Go figure. It wouldn't negate the quality of conservation achieved by convection, perhaps a "Boost" button would fill the gap... A Solo bent Glass Stem terminated with a convex screen bucket could help.

Aroma/taste depend on properly consistent density, having trouble to navigate between thin and thick clouds it's not easy for me to adjust. More often than not i keep raising the heat, which bakes my cannabis herb needlessly while i suck on a mouthpiece trying to access the comfort zone. YMMV, time works for me i hope.

Now i rarely lack ideas but this is a long text so i'll quit it here. But before i sign off i must simply add that the V-Tower may not be "fun" for everyone but it can be considered being a decent honnest product with a convenient supply of replacement parts as a bonus. I like the machine's user interface except for the brightness, not to mention that light could be put to much more appropriate use, on top instead of in my face!

:doh:

Euh... There i go again, so it seems i can't sound positive this morning but have no fears as i've finally identified a few things i do like! ...very much...

Ah... And the base should be made transparent! :popcorn: With a colorized optional cover to match everyone's taste, with optical light guides using the blinding spots below to enlight the view above!... Well, that sort of day-dreaming fantasy. For Chistmass... Please, Santa!

Last edited:
Egzoset,
Reactions: killick

dblockk

What's up fellas!
New to the fourm, have had my eq for about 2 weeks now and its been awesome. Yesterday was the first time I cleaned the elbow and cyclone bowl.
That was a breeze but my question to you pros, is what can I do with the tubing that connects my my bag or whip?
Its about 3 inch's long and I'm pretty its not iso friendly.
Any replacements anyone can recommend?
Another thing, I've been using the bags mostly with an elbow pack and fan speed number 1 at around 392f and I was getting thick vapor clouds up until yesterday. Figured I needed to be cleaned but even after it doesn't pruduce the same amount of vapor that it did in the begginig.. It's odd if I crank it up to fan 3 it starts producing a lot of vapor again.
I usually let it stay on for about 10 mins before I throw a pack on. Then I usually wait about 5 mins for the herb to heat up and then throw that fan on.

Am I doing anything wrong? And if anyone could recommand Amy after market add ons that could give me better vapor production id appreciate it.
Thanks!

dblockk,

Crvenban

Dear vaping friends, this is my first post after some time lurking in this forum.

I own MFLB and its good thing, but i'm planing to move forward in world of vapes and buy Extreme Q. Im using MFLB with water filtration because its too dry and harsh for me.

If some of you more experienced EQ owners could give me some feedback i would be grateful.

Since health is my primary reason for vaping, im worried about some concerns that i read on internet and even in this thread about plastic parts melting inside of machine? Is that for real, malfunction or just some internet rumor? Same question for tube that comes with EQ? Would it be dangerous to use it, lot of you recoments silicine, can this work as safe replacement

http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/epages/e...5197719/Products/42073/SubProducts/42073-0001

I also plan to use bong with EQ. I have 14mm bong but also have 18 mm adapter. Do i need anything else to connect EQ to this bong or will it work out of the box?

Information in this thread is staggering, i read as much as i can but if some of you can find time to answer me, i would be really grateful - and would save me from reading 100 forum pages :)

Crvenban,
Reactions: tonytokes

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
Thanks FC colleagues, I appreciate the warm welcome back. I had 2 surgeries a few weeks apart (the second to undo the first which didn't work), my first time under the knife. Let me just say that, aside from the specific ailment itself, I've been stunned by all the associated effects both in the hospital and recovering at home. Deep anesthesia takes a good while for the body's organs to overcome, not to speak of what can be excruciating after-effects of heavy pain narcotics like dilaudin. While not good to become over anxious about a general surgery, at the same time I've learned that preparing one's body and mind in advance can make a huge difference. Just fwiw . . .

Since health is my primary reason for vaping, im worried about some concerns that i read on internet and even in this thread about plastic parts melting inside of machine? Is that for real, malfunction or just some internet rumor? Same question for tube that comes with EQ? Would it be dangerous to use it, lot of you recoments silicine, can this work as safe replacement

http://www.vapefiend.co.uk/epages/e...5197719/Products/42073/SubProducts/42073-0001

I also plan to use bong with EQ. I have 14mm bong but also have 18 mm adapter. Do i need anything else to connect EQ to this bong or will it work out of the box?

The plastic part you have read about is probably the mica tab near the base of the heater that a few users found had signs of melting. There was considerable debate on this thread about it. Arizer had little to say except that it is mica and safe. As I recall I found the applicable MSDS on the material, which was consistent with the many uses of mica I saw in manufacturing (I'm an engineer). IMO, while indicative of a potential but apparently rare functional flaw (loss of the tab), I didn't see any cause for safety or health alarm.

Re the tubing: Arizer's stock tubing is a high-grade brand from Japan that is imported to the U.S. and hence conforms to the NSF-51 food/medical grade equipment specification (IIRC, that's a heat range of -150F-500F). The heat in the Q's tubing doesn't remotely approach this temp; it is perfectly safe although a royal PITA to work with given it's stiffness, which is why people switch to silicone. Your link describes the tubing as food/medical grade; there is no spec cited (in the U.K. I would expect it to be different while meaning the same thing). That said, the fiend is well known around these parts with an excellent reputation; I wouldn't hesitate to use what he sells.

Re the bong: As long as your adapter has a 18mm GonG joint, should work out of the box. Since presumably you'll be connecting via the whip, keep in mind that the longer the whip the more you'll add drag.

Hope that helps.

oldiebutgoodie,

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
The plastic part you have read about is probably the mica tab near the base of the heater that a few users found had signs of melting. There was considerable debate on this thread about it. Arizer had little to say except that it is mica and safe.

I've recently learned about the mystery goop that has been found by some users in their Arizer Solo and that the incoming air also runs over its internal electronics. And I was wanting one, :(.

Arizer also had little to nothing to say about it but "trust us, its safe". :shrug:

Tweak,
Reactions: Egzoset

Egzoset

Banned
Salutations Tweak,

...the incoming air also runs over its internal electronics. ...but "trust us, its safe".

This is information i wish were graphically documented in both cases, unless the V-Tower really happens to be nothing else but a stripped-down Extreme-Q with some parts missing (?)... For example, i lost all interest in my 3-yr warranty HerbalAire v2.1 the day i saw smoke coming under its center belt, which was way too close to its back inlet connector for my taste: a tiny design flaw but a serious one, eventually.

Now, with the V-Tower i'm going to wonder each time i power up my new acquisition!! A bargain paid 210 $ (in Canadian currency) inside a Montreal store which Kevin recognized as an authorized Arizer retailer - one who's been ignoring my e-Mails since i left the Psychonaut place in August, to be exact...

So... Just between us, who thinks i'd still go for it knowing this was next?

At least i like the glass parts, these could prove handy in future moddings i suppose!

Egzoset,
Reactions: DDave

samirfuzzywuzzy

I would have to say the v-tower and EQ are quite different inside. I can say this because I just gutted my EQ. when my buddy broke the heater cover of his v-tower I took it apart and my mind has been hazy lately but the EQ seemed to be stuffed with much beefier components compared to the v-tower that just looked like a huge empty hall way once disassembled.

EDIT: Heat up times with the wand and f/f do indeed take longer then stock but with obvious performance gains (almost 10hp):rofl:

samirfuzzywuzzy,

oldiebutgoodie

Apostle, Church of Vaporization
IIRC the V-Tower is the model that preceded the Q. Arizer has had "cash cows" in both the V-Tower and the Q, in that very minimal incremental investment has been made, just enough to periodically "refresh" the brand. Invariably a distributor puts a new unofficial non-Arizer label on the unit (like "4.0") which the sales channels pick up as that helps lure prospective buyers thinking this means a new generation/fundamentally new product. Other than the Solo, Arizer hasn't done anything really "new" for a long time.

oldiebutgoodie,
Reactions: Anonymouse

Tweak

T\/\/34|<
Other than the Solo, Arizer hasn't done anything really "new" for a long time.

Agree completely with everything you just said.

And it's precisely your last statement to irks me about Arizer, they have the funds to reinvest and do some R&D into bettering their products, but they choose not to, just keep riding there cash cows. Guess you can't blame them, why mess with a working formula right? :doh:

Look @ the VXC team. They are quite open about everything they are doing and the set backs of their company.

Tweak,

pakalolo

Toolbag v1.1 (candidate)
Staff member
And it's precisely your last statement to irks me about Arizer, they have the funds to reinvest and do some R&D into bettering their products, but they choose not to, just keep riding there cash cows.

Where did you get that information?

pakalolo,
Reactions: Liberty
Top Bottom